• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie's announcement canceled, confirming once again that E3 sucks

kbear

the disgruntled gamer said:
Bungie is a multi-team developer. I think it's safe to say that the days of Bungie releasing one game every three years are over.
Well that's good news... if it's the rumored tactical, grittier, 3rd-person, Gears of War-esque Halo game, I'll be blown away. Doubt it because MS would've used it for their conference. I think it's gonna be a smaller title... maybe XBLA or something. They're probably reading this and laughing at how wrong we all are.

Quazar

I can see a big announcement happen, but it would be weird to see it happen outside E3 big conferences. But than again if it is XBLA that would seem likely to be at MS's conference as well. So maybe it's just a couple small things like Halo3 maps/bungie moving etc etc

Bungie is a multi-team developer. I think it's safe to say that the days of Bungie releasing one game every three years are over.
Bungie basically just prints money nowadays.

edit: they also eat pizza

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Quazar said:
I can see a big announcement happen, but it would be weird to see it happen outside E3 big conferences. But than again if it is XBLA that would seem likely to be at MS's conference as well. So maybe it's just a couple small things like Halo3 maps/bungie moving etc etc

Not in the slightest.

Have MS bring out their big guns on Monday, Sony and Nintendo duke their cards out on Tuesday, people think it's over on Wednesday, but wait!

BAM, new Bungie game. Microsoft just sandwiched Tuesday with Monday and Wednesday.

Ha!

GhaleonEB

Yup. We know of at least three teams at this point - Halo 3 DLC, the upcoming project and another project that's a ways off. Bungie has expanded to two buildings now. They're a big studio.

just tray said:
Halo 4
Halo Chronicles
or Halo the Movies is all I can think about
Just to get this out there again, Bungie has literally nothing to do with Halo Chronicles any longer (per a weekly update a few months ago). So they won't be announcing anything about that. Just as Halo Wars news has been coming from Microsoft and Ensemble, Halo Chronicles news will come from Microsoft and whatever developer is working on it. Last we heard, Microsoft was staffing up internally on it.

Quazar

Domino Theory said:
Not in the slightest.

Have MS bring out their big guns on Monday, Sony and Nintendo duke their cards out on Tuesday, people think it's over on Wednesday, but wait!

BAM, new Bungie game. Microsoft just sandwiched Tuesday with Monday and Wednesday.

Ha!

I hope. :lol It just doesn't seem to follow the usual E3 war is all. I'm hoping it's something big. Just doesn't seem likely.

Quazar said:

I think they want to make a big splash on their own, at their first official E3 as an independent entity.

Good for them I says.

Good for them.

fin

GhaleonEB said:
Just to get this out there again, Bungie has literally nothing to do with Halo Chronicles any longer (per a weekly update a few months ago). So they won't be announcing anything about that. Just as Halo Wars news has been coming from Microsoft and Ensemble, Halo Chronicles news will come from Microsoft and whatever developer is working on it. Last we heard, Microsoft was staffing up internally on it.

I wonder if Frankie took the Halo Bible with him to MS? Bungie must have some influence in the universe. Joseph Staten must have a say!

Edit: :D

The Lamonster said:
why did you just edit the R out of Frankie?

clashfan

fin said:
I wonder if Fankie took the Halo Bible with him to MS? Bungie must have some influence in the universe. Joseph Staten must have a say!

I think MS owns the Halo franchise now so they have the Bible...

Kibbles

I just think Bungie is doing this after all the conferences because it will get more attention, it won't get buried under all the other news. Things will start clearing and boom Microsoft and Bungie have one last bombshell.

HokieJoe

I wish this announcement were a Halo "1" redux that looks as good as "3" and multiplayer to boot. We probably won't see anything like that until Halo 3 has been fully milked, if ever.

Eric WK

GhaleonEB said:
It was a hypothetical example for illustration purposes. My original edit had X0x, the latter x signifying the year, but I thought it was confusing. So I specified, forgetting that MS doesn't do them every year. I only ask for your forgiveness.

Wouldn't this response be better directed at Son of Godzilla? I wasn't questioning your inclusion of X07 for illustration, I was merely answering his question. I only ask for your forgiveness.

Everyone here needs to take a deep breath completely forget about this Bungie thing and either surf other GAF threads or go outside.

Countdown's always lead to dissapointment. ALWAYS! This announcement will most likely be cool but not life changing or anything so lets just relax.

Just think this way.

1)You are never going to figure it out
2)It will be far cooler if you think its going to be stupid.
3)Its not for another 16 hours!
4)Its a super nice day where i am right now.
5)Food
6)Masturbation

KevinRo

Karma Kramer said:
Everyone here needs to take a deep breath completely forget about this Bungie thing and either surf other GAF threads or go outside.

Countdown's always lead to dissapointment. ALWAYS! This announcement will most likely be cool but not life changing or anything so lets just relax.

Just think this way.

1)You are never going to figure it out
2)It will be far cooler if you think its going to be stupid.
3)Its not for another 16 hours!
4)Its a super nice day where i am right now.
5)Food
6)Masturbation

I actually thought of #6 first. is that bad?

clashfan

Karma Kramer said:

Actually alot of countdown's has led to game announcements. Diablo 3? I think everyone has reason to go hyper! I think Wednesday will be life altering...

GhaleonEB

Eric WK said:
Wouldn't this response be better directed at Son of Godzilla? I wasn't questioning your inclusion of X07 for illustration, I was merely answering his question. I only ask for your forgiveness.
sigh

clashfan said:
Actually alot of countdown's has led to game announcements. Diablo 3? I think everyone has reason to go hyper! I think Wednesday will be life altering...

FUCK YOU"RE RIGHT!

nooooo.jpg

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Now that the potential for Halo 3 campaign DLC exists, this is going to be the longest 15 hours ever...

TDG

Banned
Cocopjojo said:
Now that the potential for Halo 3 campaign DLC exists, this is going to be the longest 15 hours ever...
I plan to sepnd 8 of those hours sleeping. They should go quickly.

GhaleonEB

Cocopjojo said:
Heh. I'm trying not to get my hopes up. They're parked squarely at some minor tweaks to the Halo 3 matchmaking or interface systems - maybe some new options - and a new, quirky game announcement. Anything beyond that, gravy.

Eric WK

skip said:
crossposting from 1UP boards for efficiency:

I've just finishined setting up the recording rig in our HQ room at the convention center. 1UPY is recording today from 4:30 to 5:30, and GFW starts immediately after that. I'll be processing one while recording the other, so it shouldn't be *too* late.

1UPY will be mostly conference reactions, and we'll try to squeeze some game impressions in there, too. Tomorrow's 1UPY has a special guest, who was going to appear today, but we realized that he'd have more to say about stuff tomorrow.

Shawn mentioned something today about getting some people for tonight's GFW.

Thursday, we'll attempt something near the pool.

I think that's a bit obvious. :D

TDG

Banned
Eric WK said:
I think that's a bit obvious. :D
Well, well, well. :D

EDIT: Isn't it cool to see the buzz in so many threads about Bungie. Our little developer is so loved and respected. :)

HokieJoe said:
I wish this announcement were a Halo "1" redux that looks as good as "3" and multiplayer to boot. We probably won't see anything like that until Halo 3 has been fully milked, if ever.

To be honest, the Halo 1 campaign doesn't need an update all that bad.

IMO, it has the best story, the best gameplay, and the graphics actually hold up damn well.

Anyways, my prediction is that this is some sort of Luigi's Mansion type game....keep it clean!

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Liara T'Soni said:

IMO, it has the best story, the best gameplay, and the graphics actually hold up damn well.
Agreed. It needs only a feature-set update: Live co-op, Live MP. And maybe saved films and Forge, but Live co-op is really all I could ask for.

SuperBonk

I'm kind of hoping this is a non-Halo related fully retail game. Actually, I wouldn't mind Halo 4 being announced, though that's kind of unlikely. And I guess I wouldn't mind an XBLA title either.

Basically what I don't want to see is Halo 3 add-ons or Halo 1 remake.

GhaleonEB

Liara T'Soni said:

Anyways, my prediction is that this is some sort of Luigi's Mansion type game....keep it clean!
Every time I read someone say this, I think to myself - you gotta be fucking kidding me.

But that's another thread.

pringles

Liara T'Soni said:

totally agree. it really doesn't need to be tampered with.

EazyB

Banned
Liara T'Soni said:

WAT?

Halo CE has the worst campaign (storyline doesn't count because they obviously wouldn't change that) and the gameplay has only been made more varied and fluid as the series continued.

Nostalgia

MikeE21286 said:
Is this Bungie distancing themselves from MS?

Maybe a multiplatform game?
Kinda

Nope

Chinner

Banned
I hope they make a halo game in which we can play as cortana. it wud be p sweet. and there would be a sass button like OH NO YOU DIDNT MASTA CHIEF

pringles

EazyB said:
WAT?

Halo CE has the worst campaign (storyline doesn't count because they obviously wouldn't change that) and the gameplay has only been made more varied and fluid as the series continued.

Nostalgia
I don't know man, when me and my friends get together for some co-op Halo action, CE is always the obvious choice.
Mostly I think it has to do with the far superior level design (obviously except for 2 or 3 bad levels), and that the difficulty seems better balanced than in the two sequels.
And maybe that the warthogs are so much more fun :)

GhaleonEB said:
Every time I read someone say this, I think to myself - you gotta be fucking kidding me.
I absolutely agree. While I have enjoyed all the games in the series, I think Halo 3 is the highest point for the series in every sense.

HokieJoe

EazyB said:
WAT?

Nostalgia

Notstalgia

I liked Halo's campaign better than Halo 2. I liked the Library, and I like the Flood- creepy bastards that they are.

EazyB said:

Whoa, Eazy. Overall Halo 1 had the best campaign. Maybe not the best story or gameplay, but overall, yes, it is the best.
Kinda

Nope
Agreed. It's ludicrous at best to expect this game to be multiplatform.

Top Bottom