• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie's announcement canceled, confirming once again that E3 sucks

Dirtbag

what if this halo:blue turns out to be halo chronicles and this SI announce is really about the PJ project with some limited Bungie involvement.

Chinner

Banned
I think Halo 3 has a better campaign, but its missing some elements from Halo that just make the original that give it that special feel. With the SP and MP in Halo 3, its like Bungie approached everything with a check list. Everything seemed like they were keeping to that and they were unwilling to take risks.

GhaleonEB

pringles said:
I don't know man, when me and my friends get together for some co-op Halo action, CE is always the obvious choice.
Mostly I think it has to do with the far superior level design (obviously except for 2 or 3 bad levels), and that the difficulty seems better balanced than in the two sequels.
And maybe that the warthogs are so much more fun :)
I still play through Halo 3 campaign regularly in co-op over Live. The Halo 3 level and encounter designs, AI and sandbox just decimate Halo 1.

Take The Storm, as an example, and the big encounter in the dry lake bed. Literally everything happening there was not possible in Halo 1, from friendly AI drivers to the size of the encounter in terms of area, environment scale and number of friendly and enemy AI (both in the air and on the ground). Not to mention the Scarab, an AI-driven piece of geometry caring a dozen other AI characters which can be taken out many different ways. And tackling that encounter with four players, with difficulty customized by a half dozen skulls turned on.

Nostalgia is powerful. I played the Halo 1 campaign over 40 times through, beginning to end, mostly on Legendary. It was my favorite game of all time for years. There. Is. No. Comparison.

Wiggum2007

GhaleonEB said:
There. Is. No. Comparison.

In your opinion :). I enjoy both Halo 1 and Halo 3 for what they are; I'd have a hard time picking one out as my favorite as I think they both do things both better and worse than the other. That said, if I had to list my favorite levels in the halo games the top few would always be from Halo 1 (Silent Cartographer, Two Betrayals, AotCR)

I will agree that Halo 1's story was my favorite, I really liked the simplicity of it, and the whole mysteriousness (is that a word?) behind the ancient halo structure, the flood, and the covenant. Jacob Keyes was awesome too, and I liked Johnson in this game the most, he became to much like the comic relief sidekick in the sequels (2 especially).

All the Halo games are great, and each is different from the others in ways that could be considered good or bad. I don't think any one person should be called wrong for thinking one is better than the other.

t4ng0

Wiggum2007 said:
In your opinion :). I enjoy both Halo 1 and Halo 3 for what they are; I'd have a hard time picking one out as my favorite as I think they both do things both better and worse than the other. That said, if I had to list my favorite levels in the halo games the top few would always be from Halo 1 (Silent Cartographer, Two Betrayals, AotCR)

I will agree that Halo 1's story was my favorite, I really liked the simplicity of it, and the whole mysteriousness (is that a word?) behind the ancient halo structure, the flood, and the covenant. Jacob Keyes was awesome too, and I liked Johnson in this game the most, he became to much like the comic relief sidekick in the sequels (2 especially).

All the Halo games are great, and each is different from the others in ways that could be considered good or bad. I don't think any one person should be called wrong for thinking one is better than the other.
TheStranger.jpg

Frenck

Banned
I'd say if it is indeed a Halo 3 supplemental (as in DLC for retail Halo 3) it's not going to start right where Halo 3 left off. That wouldn't make any sense since MC encountering Marines is out of the question. It could star some other character like the Arbiter or another Spartan but I doubt that would happen because Halo 3 is MC's story.

My bet are classic campaign missions or fill ins. Maybe they are going to take us where the Marvel comics were supposed to take us and fill in the gap between Halo 2 and Halo 3 (Which would mean we'd see a Dreadnought level).

yeah clean this shit up already

im thinking super mario sunshine with master chief and instead of a water pack he has a super soaker

EazyB

Banned
Dax01 said:
Whoa, Eazy. Overall Halo 1 had the best campaign. Maybe not the best story or gameplay, but overall, yes, it is the best.
What is there besides story (which I wasn't arguing for) and gameplay?
Graphics (give me a break)
Lasting appeal (umm...)

You crazy, Dax.

GhaleonEB

GodfatherX said:
yeah clean this shit up already

im thinking super mario sunshine with master chief and instead of a water pack he has a super soaker
That would work.

I still think we may have two different things going on - one Halo related (the changes to the online experience they hinted at) and the other a new, non-Halo project.

Wiggum2007 said:

that's what i think. i went into halo 1 and it was just a neat little game. you pop up on the a spaceship and kill aliens and crash land on a giant ring thing and kill more aliens and along the way a robot lady slowly fills you in on what's happening rather than shoving it down your throat. nothing feels contrived and it feeds the story in small doses. with 3 i can imagine bungie planning it all out and trying to make it feel epic and it doesn't feel as natural

i felt like as the series went from a kind of half-life approach to roughly more like metal gear solid, which are opposites, and that really wasn't a smooth transition. pick one!

EazyB said:
What is there besides story (which I wasn't arguing for) and gameplay?
Graphics (give me a break)
Lasting appeal (umm...)

You crazy, Dax.
Level design, atmosphere, 3-way battles, the fact that there aren't any barriers to prevent you from approaching the level the way you want, etc.

I think we can all agree, that, overall, Halo 2 had the worst campaign by far. It's so bad to 1 and 3's.

tak

pringles said:
I don't know man, when me and my friends get together for some co-op Halo action, CE is always the obvious choice.
Mostly I think it has to do with the far superior level design (obviously except for 2 or 3 bad levels), and that the difficulty seems better balanced than in the two sequels.
And maybe that the warthogs are so much more fun :)
I think Halo CE has the best campaign of the Halo games. Halo 3 may have more bells and whistles, but the level layout and enemy encounters are simple and perfectly executed in the majority of levels in Halo CE.

I don't think any game has topped Silent Cartographer.

Dirtbag

tak said:
I think Halo CE has the best campaign of the Halo games. Halo 3 may have more bells and whistles, but the level layout and enemy encounters are simple and perfectly executed in the majority of levels in Halo CE.

I don't think any game has topped Silent Cartographer.

LOL.

In the same game you could make a serious case for Assault on the Control Room or Two Betrayals. The Cartographer gets all the love because of boys and their strange obsession with Dday styled beach invasions. My vote would go to AotCR assuming I agreed with you on Halo 1 being a superior campaign - which I don't.

EDIT: Dax - 3-way battles.. You've got a good point there.

Dax01 said:
Level design, atmosphere, 3-way battles, the fact that there aren't any barriers to prevent you from approaching the level the way you want, etc.

I think we can all agree, that, overall, Halo 2 had the worst campaign by far. It's so bad to 1 and 3's.
Nope. Not me. I found Halo 2 lightyears more compelling than getting lost in copy and paste corridors ino Halo 1. Basically everything outside of the first two levels were golden to me. Uprising is easily my favorite level from any Halo game.

GhaleonEB

14 hours to go.

Maybe I should go home and just go to bed. It would go by faster. :lol
Dirtbag 504 said:
EDIT: Dax - 3-way battles.. You've got a good point there.
Yup. It's a key element missing from Halo 3 - and was one of my favorites in the first two.

Quazar

GhaleonEB said:
14 hours to go.

Maybe I should go home and just go to bed. It would go by faster. :lol

Yup. It's a key element missing from Halo 3 - and was one of my favorites in the first two.

Go to bed?! What about Capcom? :D

kbear

Dax01 said:
Whoa, Eazy. Overall Halo 1 had the best campaign. Maybe not the best story or gameplay, but overall, yes, it is the best.
No way... it's the nostalgia talking.

I must be one of the few people who played through all 3 games back to back to back for the first time recently (a couple of months ago, posted a ton of impressions in the Halo 3 thread) so everything is fresh in my mind and and Halo 3 absolutely has the best and most varied campaign. Gameplay, level design, variety, scale, everything is better.

Wiggum2007

Debating over which Halo game is the best is a neverending and impossible to win argument.

Instead, let's talk about the Pimps at Sea announcement coming tomorrow morning.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
your_fat_uncle said:
I'll be extremely surprised if it's anything other than finally revealing the Peter Jackson Halo project
Get ready to be surprised. Bungie isn't involved with the PJ project, so they wouldn't be the ones to announce anything about it.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
GhaleonEB said:
I still play through Halo 3 campaign regularly in co-op over Live. The Halo 3 level and encounter designs, AI and sandbox just decimate Halo 1.

Take The Storm, as an example, and the big encounter in the dry lake bed. Literally everything happening there was not possible in Halo 1, from friendly AI drivers to the size of the encounter in terms of area, environment scale and number of friendly and enemy AI (both in the air and on the ground). Not to mention the Scarab, an AI-driven piece of geometry caring a dozen other AI characters which can be taken out many different ways. And tackling that encounter with four players, with difficulty customized by a half dozen skulls turned on.

Nostalgia is powerful. I played the Halo 1 campaign over 40 times through, beginning to end, mostly on Legendary. It was my favorite game of all time for years. There. Is. No. Comparison.

Do you mean "There. Is. No. Comparison" as in Halo1 and Halo3 are so different that it's apples to oranges? Or that Halo 3 is so much better it's in a completely different league?

It is true, none of that stuff is possible in Halo1. But I don't really know if that makes the level and encounter design better.

I tend to agree with Pringles, HaloCE does have better level design. There's a reason I still play it casually, while I've only played through Halo3's campaign about 3 times.

Frenck

Banned
IGN Live Wire Schedule for Thursday:

09:30 am Too Human: Denis Dyack takes us on a Nordic adventure.
10:00 am TBA
10:30 am Red Faction: All-out destruction is back.
11:00 am Deadly Creatures: The Wii brings your worst fears to life.
11:30 am Dawn of War 2: We talk about Relic's ambitious sequel.

Notice how it says TBA instead if TBD?

Maybe I'm grasping for straws here but that could be what I hope it is.

EDIT:

Wednesday has another TBA slot so I'm probably wrong.

Frenck said:
IGN Live Wire Schedule for Thursday:

Notice how it says TBA instead if TBD?

Maybe I'm grasping for straws here but that could be what I hope it is.
There was a few TBA slots in the playlist, no idea if they have changed from the last time I looked but they are either unnamed announcements or time used up but they don't know what with yet.

Frenck said:
Wednesday has another TBA slot so I'm probably wrong.
I noticed it had a few slots for TBA on Wednesday. Don't know if Bungie's going to be in one of them though, but it would be sweet if they were.

Play nice children. I think something we glossed over was the fact that the teaser page links to Halo 3 Statistical information. Hidden clue? Grasping at straws? Yes

13 HOURS!

Can't WAIT for this announcement. Possibly the biggest announcement of E3 coming from Bungie...Not Microsoft, Sony, or Nintendo, but Bungie. And probably Microsoft anyway. But it's going to be awesome.

GhaleonEB

DancingJesus said:
Play nice children. I think something we glossed over was the fact that the teaser page links to Halo 3 Statistical information. Hidden clue? Grasping at straws? Yes

13 HOURS!
I think that's just so people have a way to get to the rest of the site.

ryan2215

Neo Member
it seems to me that the cutesy little mascot that's been showing up ~bungie lately will skew a little more towards wall-e than master chief and so i think that after making fps's for years bungie decided to take a breath and refresh their creative energies in a new genre. Of course they are bungie, so i doubt a standard 3-d mascot platformer, but you never know.

I just hope if it isn't another fps everybody takes it in stride.

Dirtbag

sounds like luke will be on 1up yours tomorrow

skip said:
crossposting from 1UP boards for efficiency:

I've just finishined setting up the recording rig in our HQ room at the convention center. 1UPY is recording today from 4:30 to 5:30, and GFW starts immediately after that. I'll be processing one while recording the other, so it shouldn't be *too* late.

1UPY will be mostly conference reactions, and we'll try to squeeze some game impressions in there, too. Tomorrow's 1UPY has a special guest, who was going to appear today, but we realized that he'd have more to say about stuff tomorrow.

Shawn mentioned something today about getting some people for tonight's GFW.

Thursday, we'll attempt something near the pool.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11989096&postcount=130

12 hours huh? Anyone think this isn't halo chronicles or the msft gearbox project or whatever it is?

Got a feeling it isnt...and will just be xbla game or a add on to halo 3. Possibly even a halo trilogy bundle or something...

Top Bottom