• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare |OT| House of CODs

15496995847_934e934562_o.png

Developer:
  • Sledgehammer Games
Release Dates:
  • November 3, 2014 (Day Zero Edition) [INT] (Rolling out over the next 24 hours across the globe)
  • November 4, 2014 [INT]
  • November 13, 2014 [JP]
t1414990800z4.png

Platforms:
  • PC
  • PlayStation 3
  • PlayStation 4
  • Xbox 360
  • Xbox One
Free Upgrade:
Until March 31st, 2015, if you buy a digital copy of Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare on last-gen, you will be able to download the current-gen version (within the same console family) for free. In addition, your stats and any digital content that you have purchased (season pass, pre-order content) will transfer over. For more information, click here.

PC Specs:
MINIMUM:
  • OS: Windows 7 64-Bit / Windows 8 64-Bit / Windows 8.1 64-Bit
  • Processor: Intel Core i3-530 2.93 GHz / AMD Phenom II X4 810 2.60 GHz
  • Memory: 6 GB RAM
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 1GB / AMD Radeon HD 5870 1GB
  • DirectX: Version 11
  • Hard Drive: 55 GB available space
  • Additional Notes: Field of View ranges from 65°-90°
RECOMMENDED:
  • OS: Windows 7 64-Bit / Windows 8 64-Bit / Windows 8.1 64-Bit
  • Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz (No AMD?)
  • Memory: 8 GB RAM
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 4GB (No AMD?)
  • DirectX: Version 11
  • Hard Drive: 55 GB available space
  • Additional Notes: Field of View ranges from 65°-90°
Day Zero:
Pick up your copy of the Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Day Zero Edition on November 3rd at stores across the globe. For no extra cost, you can get the game a day early in addition to the following extra content:
  • Two custom weapons, the AK-12G assault rifle and Crossbow-B2
  • A full day of double XP on November 3rd
  • The advanced arsenal, which includes the EM1 Quantum Direct Energy Weapon and the Bullet Brass Exoskeleton
15497869449_e52bc11289_o.png

Collector's Editions:

15689175392_2bb76829ba_o.png

There are three Collector's Editions available. They include the following:

ATLAS PRO:
  • CALL OF DUTY: ADVANCED WARFARE SEASON PASS
  • ATLAS GORGE BONUS MULTIPLAYER MAP
  • TWO (2) WEAPONS
  • THE BAL-27 AE ASSAULT RIFLE
  • THE ATLAS .45 AE PISTOL
  • ATLAS EXOSKELETON
  • ATLAS HELMET
  • ATLAS PLAYER CARD
  • FIVE (5) BONUS SUPPLY DROPS
  • SINGLE PLAYER EXOSKELETON UPGRADE TOKEN
  • WELCOME TO ATLAS: ADVANCED SOLDIER MANUAL
  • COLLECTIBLE STEELBOOK
  • OFFICIAL CALL OF DUTY: ADVANCED WARFARE SOUNDTRACK
ATLAS LIMITED:
  • TWO (2) WEAPONS
  • ATLAS EXOSKELETON
  • ATLAS HELMET
  • ATLAS PLAYER CARD
  • WELCOME TO ATLAS: ADVANCED SOLDIER MANUAL
  • COLLECTIBLE STEELBOOK
  • OFFICIAL CALL OF DUTY: ADVANCED WARFARE SOUNDTRACK
DIGITAL PRO:
  • CALL OF DUTY: ADVANCED WARFARE SEASON PASS
  • TWO (2) WEAPONS
  • ATLAS EXOSKELETON
  • ATLAS HELMET
  • ATLAS PLAYER CARD
15686668862_93defe79a3_o.png

The gunplay is typical Call of Duty, but what’s new here are the Exoskeletons. The Exo suit is a new gameplay mechanic introduced in Advanced Warfare, featured in all modes. The Exo allows for a new type of movement that hasn’t been seen in the franchise before. Boost Jump, Slide, Dodge, Dash, and Slam are the abilities at your disposal. Boost Jump allows you to jump higher, adding verticality. Boost Slide lets you
slide
. Dodge allows you to evade enemy gunfire while Dash lets you move in all directions while in the air. Finally, there is Boost Slam, which is an air-to-ground melee attack.

In addition, you can equip a single special ability on top of the basic ones. These powers are restricted by your suit’s battery time and are very powerful. The Exo abilities follow:
  • Exo Shield – A shield attached to your Exo’s arm.
  • Exo Overclock – Increases movement speed.
  • Exo Mute Device – Mutes your footsteps.
  • Exo Stim – Increases your health.
  • Exo Cloak – Allows you to cloak.
  • Exo Hover – Lets you hover in the air.
  • Exo Ping – Shows enemy fire and movement on your HUD.
  • Exo Trophy System – Destroys incoming enemy grenades and rockets.
15497265298_54a6dd32db_o.png

The world of 2054. The past 40 years have molded it into an unstable landscape teetering on the edge of global disaster. As independent nations struggle to maintain control over their domestic issues, a new power rises. The ATLAS Corporation, the world’s largest private military contractor, has surpassed all other countries to become the most powerful actor on the world stage.

You play as Jack Mitchell (Troy Baker), a former US Marine that was discharged due to an injury. Mitchell is given a second chance by ATLAS CEO, Jonathan Irons (Kevin Spacey).

15063437673_445a7ddb2b_o.png

15659274296_e2e9f51f1a_o.png

The Pick Ten system returns as Pick Thirteen. This system moves scorestreaks into your class loadout and makes them completely optional. You can equip up to 3 at a time, though an additional 4th slot can be unlocked by using the “Streaker” Wildcard. Here is an image of what the create-a-class screen looks like.

After you’re done customizing your class you no longer have to wait until the match starts to test it out thanks to the new virtual firing range feature, which you can switch over to at any time while you’re in the virtual lobby or create-a-class screen. What is the virtual lobby you may ask? Gone are the days of gamertag lists, now you will see your customized soldier in addition to those of other players. The emblem editor is making a return as well, and it is apparently going to be similar to the one that appeared in Black Ops 1 and 2. You’ll be able to show off you emblem on your Exo.

Sledgehammer has added loot in the form of supply drops which are rewarded at the end of matches. You can earn them randomly or by completing challenges. Inside these supply drops you can get custom weapons, gear, and reinforcements.
  • Custom weapons – Variants of the base weapons in the game. They can differ in cosmetics as well as the stats department. There are around 350 different custom weapons. They can differ not just cosmetically, but also in stats.
  • Gear – Camos, clothing, and armor for customizing your character.
  • Reinforcements – These are one-time-use items such as perks and scorestreaks.
All of these drops can come in one of three different rarity levels: Enlisted (green), Professional (blue), and Elite (orange).

Once you hit level 50 you’ll have to option to Prestige, which resets your rank and allows you do it all over again. You can do this 15 times in Advanced Warfare. You won’t lose custom weapons you’ve gained through the loot system, though they will remain locked until you get the base weapon again. In addition, you will be granted one unlock point when you prestige, which you can use to unlock one item from the start.

Ranked playlists are returning and will be similar to Black Ops 2’s League Play. Your skill will be evaluated through placement matches and you will then be placed into one of seven divisions on a monthly basis. Each division has its own exclusive rewards that come in the form of division gear.

There are 13 maps that ship with the game, and an additional one, Atlas Gorge, that you can get by purchasing the Season Pass or one of the collector’s editions.
  • Ascend
  • Bio Lab
  • Comeback
  • Defender
  • Detroit
  • Greenband
  • Horizon
  • Instinct
  • Recovery
  • Retreat
  • Riot
  • Solar
  • Terrace
Finally, there is a cooperative mode in the game in the form of Exo Survival. In this mode you and up to three others can fight and survive against Exo-equipped AI in waves similar to Modern Warfare 3’s survival mode. Everything from dogs to Goliaths will be thrown at you, along with random objective based rounds that penalize you if you don’t complete them. Zombies are confirmed to make an appearance in this mode as a bonus round type of thing, though there may be a standalone mode exclusively for zombies.

You can go here to check out a list of all scorestreaks and additional modules that can be added to them.

You can go here to check out a list of all weapons in the game.

15497258129_f0463fd376_o.png

kuYuri

Looking forward to this whenever I can get my hands on an Xbox One. I want to start on next-gen off the bat rather than going for last-gen version.

Good OT!

MrDaravon

The 360 streams/videos have looked shockingly good for last gen. I'm going to go ahead and keep my Gamefly rental of the 360 version (most of my group hasn't moved to current-gen yet). I pretty much only play Ground War so it not being in the last-gen versions again normally would be an immediate no-go, but hearing that most of the maps are smaller to medium-sized anyway has me a bit less worried. Also glad that most of the actual hands-on from people here and elsewhere from early copies has been very positive. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure most of the early leaked hands-on for Ghosts were pretty negative, so I'm hoping by all accounts this turns out much better than that.

Is it sad that having him in there is most of the reason I'm even interested in this year's COD?

Speaking from when the game was announced, nope. He was mainly the reason why I was interested, although the premise intrigued me.

Now? Only half the reason why. The other half being that this seems to be the real deal in terms of a CoD gamechanger since Black Ops 1.

AJLma

Buying this pretty much just because of Spacey, plus the MP looks interesting.

First CoD since MW2, hope I'm not disappointed.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Thought Destiny and Driveclub would still be taking up my play time...

So yeah, Digital Pro edition bought and preloaded. I skipped Ghosts entirely, so I'm itching to get back to it.

Mikey Jr.

Haven't really played a COD since MW2, (but briefly dabbled in Black Ops 1), but I am not sure if I am up for this.

It is really going to be dependent on reviews. I really hope its good.

PFD

Is this still running on the Quake 3 engine?

No but really, is this a new engine? Or same as Ghosts?

Pics_nao

Is it sad that having him in there is most of the reason I'm even interested in this year's COD?
Nope. Watched my first Spacey movie the other day and loved him. Considering getting that ps3 digital until I get my PS4.

The power Spacey can command is scary.

Speaking from when the game was announced, nope. He was mainly the reason why I was interested, although the premise intrigued me.

Now? Only half the reason why. The other half being that this seems to be the real deal in terms of a CoD gamechanger since Black Ops 1.

I'm curious myself, as the last COD I played was COD2. Well, I dabbled in MW3, but, admittedly, I'm terrible at FPSes. I can't remember the last time an FPS (that wasn't a horror non-FPS game-thing anyway) held my interest (maybe Bioshock Infinite but even then the last half of that game was such a drag!).

Getting the attention of people on the fence was no doubt why star power was invoked and such changes occurred.

Being bored of destiny way earlier then expected combined with no ps plus version of driveclub means cod is my saving grace. Please be as good as I think you'll be

Top Bottom