• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 trailer (the real one) [Up: Roll Call video]

Man the game really looks great. I'm digging the setting and the story beats sound great. I'm happy to hear that the characters and story lines of BLOPs one will continue and I hope that they keep up the quality from the first game. I'm really excited. I really enjoyed BLOPs.

As for the graphics. I really don't care. CoD games have always looked great in motion. Yes some textures can look pretty shitty, especially when you actually take the time to look and analyze them. But I don't care, during the action and set pieces the graphics entertain and at 60fps I don't even care.

One of my most anticipated games this year for sure.

Makoto

Perhaps it's been mentioned but I was getting a Frontlines: Fuel of War vibe from the technology in the trailer. I never really played Frontlines but that's the feeling I got from watching a lot of that game's trailers.

How's the first game? MP still going strong? zombies? basically should I still pick it up?
Yeah MP is still big. Personally I'm not a huge fan of the zombie mode, I think the original map from W@W was sill the best zombie map. But, other people seem to enjoy it.

XAL

everyone needs to stop bitching about the graphics

You're right, they need to be bitching about the fact that it uses more or less the same damn engine since COD4. Some things improved. Some things got worse. Nothing was significantly improved performance-wise. And the netcode.......

Graphics are only a small part of it.

Izick

As someone who has bitched about the graphics in the past, I'm not really that upset about them in this case. I get it. They want to make it a 60fps experiences with as little hitches as possible. Now that they're trying out a new setting, in the near future, I can guess, this is obviously just a guess, that they want to try new stuff, but they don't want to invest in a new engine with new consoles likely coming out soonish.

I can respect that they're mixing some other stuff up even if they can't mix up the engine. I'm guessing if it was up to them though, they would try to make a new engine now, or with Black Ops, but hey, I can appreciate that they're still trying something different.

I know that doesn't make the game any better looking graphically, but that still makes up for some of the slack in my eyes. Even with all that said, I really don't think it even looks that bad; it looks pretty solid for a 60fps game.

Tookay

I applaud Treyarch for having the guts to change up the setting but damn I don't remember COD looking this hideous.

Saleswise, I also wonder if the futuristic vibe is going put some dudebros off as well.

I applaud Treyarch for having the guts to change up the setting but damn I don't remember COD looking this hideous.

Saleswise, I also wonder if the futuristic vibe is going put some dudebros off as well.
Probably, but I'm betting it will attract more people than it loses.

Nizz

As someone who has bitched about the graphics in the past, I'm not really that upset about them in this case. I get it. They want to make it a 60fps experiences with as little hitches as possible. Now that they're trying out a new setting, in the near future, I can guess, this is obviously just a guess, that they want to try new stuff, but they don't want to invest in a new engine with new consoles likely coming out soonish.

I can respect that they're mixing some other stuff up even if they can't mix up the engine. I'm guessing if it was up to them though, they would try to make a new engine now, or with Black Ops, but hey, I can appreciate that they're still trying something different.

I know that doesn't make the game any better looking graphically, but that still makes up for some of the slack in my eyes. Even with all that said, I really don't think it even looks that bad; it looks pretty solid for a 60fps game.
I honestly hope it's 60fps this time on PS3. The first Black Ops was a shame. Lower res and the framerate was rougher than previous COD games on PS3, particularly coming off of MW2.

I know they're two different teams but still, Black Ops was disappointing technically on PS3.

Probably old, but... To anyone paying attention, the Wii forum for Blops 2 now says:

Members of the Wii Community — When migrating our forums from Call of Duty: Black Ops to the new site, the "Wii" section migrated with it, which should not have been the case.

To date, we have only confirmed development for the Xbox 360, PS3 and PC. We apologize for any confusion that this may have caused. Please stay tuned here for any updates.
by [3ARC] ADMIN (May 2, 2012)

i know, opinions, yeah.....but this looks like "shit" for you? at 60fps? for real???
are you from 2025?
i feel the urge to post that NeoGaf.gif....

I didnt say it looks like shit for 60fps. I said it looks like shit... period. Im saying 60fps isnt worth the shitty graphics, for campaign atleast. I understand the importance of 60fps in multiplayer but in campaign it seems like its not worth it considering how terrible the graphics are and considering the negative response towards the shitty graphics around the internet as a whole. It would behoove them to drop it to 30fps and make it look significantly better for the campaign.

raviolico

I didnt say it looks like shit for 60fps. I said it looks like shit... period. Im saying 60fps isnt worth the shitty graphics, for campaign atleast. I understand the importance of 60fps in multiplayer but in campaign it seems like its not worth it considering how terrible the graphics are and considering the negative response towards the shitty graphics around the internet as a whole. It would behoove them to drop it to 30fps and make it look significantly better for the campaign.

ok, debating over personal viewpoints and definitions is always a blocked road. so i guess it will be disgusting to hear to you that i would rate those visuals as " good" - even at 30fps.
in motion, wait, in 60fps motion they are stellar. i guess i simply prefer silkfluid gameplay over polygon geometry and texture resolution all the day.

ok, debating over personal viewpoints and definitions is always a blocked road. so i guess it will be disgusting to hear to you that i would rate those visuals as " good" - even at 30fps.
in motion, wait, in 60fps motion they are stellar. i guess i simply prefer silkfluid gameplay over polygon geometry and texture resolution all the day.

I see what you mean but even comparing 720p 60fps graphics, RAGE looks so much better. The visual image really brings down the presentation even though the framerate will be smooth. I know its a matter of opinion/preference but people all over the internet and everyone ive talked to has mentioned the poor graphics. If they dropped it to 30fps and focused a bit more on a pretty image, most people wouldnt even notice the framerate but they would definitely notice the visuals arent crappy.

I see what you mean but even comparing 720p 60fps graphics, RAGE looks so much better. The visual image really brings down the presentation even though the framerate will be smooth. I know its a matter of opinion/preference but people all over the internet and everyone ive talked to has mentioned the poor graphics. If they dropped it to 30fps and focused a bit more on a pretty image, most people wouldnt even notice the framerate but they would definitely notice the visuals arent crappy.

If people won't notice going from 60 fps to 30 fps.
Then i will feel sick for next gen. Another gen of console running 30 fps.
Im stucked to console because of some of the franchises i grew up with.

And i wouldn't call rage a true 720p game it doesn't hold that res all the time. And the Texel density was also not optimal all the time even on my pc it had problems streaming in textures pages.

Mikey Jr.

I honestly hope it's 60fps this time on PS3. The first Black Ops was a shame. Lower res and the framerate was rougher than previous COD games on PS3, particularly coming off of MW2.

I know they're two different teams but still, Black Ops was disappointing technically on PS3.

Conspiracy theory time. Do you think they intentionally downgrade the PS3 version, so that people comparing the 2 platforms go with the Xbox?

MasLegio

Banned
From CharlieIntel.com:

MYSTERY VOICES confirmed! Oliver North and P.W. Singer! Trailer Synopsis VIDEO

Also on that site, 80 screenshots from the trailer. I started looking through the pictures to see if I noticed anything and one thing I saw was the name "Charlene" on the QuadRotor:

screen-shot-2012-05-02-at-00-59-36.png

Might not mean anything. Who knows. Sorry if that was mentioned already.

wow. take someone that stands for the ultimate evil in the military industry complex and the war mongering ultra-republicans and make him the spokesman for the game....
this beats "no russian" by miles (yet there is barely anything about this on GAF...)

will we be able to take out soft targets in the game?
kill farmers maybe?
import crack cocaine into the USA and help an evil dictator?

If I worked at Treyarch I would be ashamed now

kuYuri

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/05/03/amazon-black-ops-2-day-one-pre-orders-higher-than-black-ops-mo/

Amazon's pre-order numbers indicate Activsion's Call of Duty gravy train is still going full steam. Earlier today, Amazon UK told MCV that Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 pre-orders were three times higher than its predecessor, Black Ops, two years ago. We wanted to know if that anticipation crossed the pond.

"Pre-orders from day one of Black Ops 2 were more than ten times the amount of pre-orders for the first Black Ops on its first day of availability," Amazon US told Joystiq this afternoon, but that's not all the buzz.

"Black Ops 2 even out pre-ordered the first day of availability for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 by more than 30 percent. Modern Warfare 3 currently holds the record for the most pre-ordered game of all time and was amongst the top 20 pre-orders ever on Amazon.com, including books and movies."

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 went on to gross over $775 million globally in five days, flying past Call of Duty: Black Ops' $650 million record and the $550 million record before it, set by Modern Warfare 2.

Just got officially announced and already breaking preorder records again? Bravo Activision.

Effect

I honestly thought after MW3 the series would slowly decline in sales.

I always felt it was best to wait until Treyarch's next game came out to really see. Even now it's still best to wait and see how it sells in the end. To see if it was Call of Duty fatigue or just fatigue for Modern Warfare aka IW's design decisions which people have been complaining about since MW2. People by now have enough games from both to compare and to decide which development house and their design decisions they prefer. I've seen people complain about network code and lag when it came to Black Ops. I've read actual design complaints when it came to MW2 and MW3. Personally I'm like that as well.

Pre-order info is crazy. I'm waiting for some actual footage to even think about THINKING about pre-ordering. The future war stuff has caught my eye, but I need to see what they've done with the core mechanics first. Won't even bother if it's still feels as unsatisfying to shoot.

CFMOORE!

My fav thing about that episode was that they used COD1 on PC and it pre-dated the mainstream explosion of the series. I felt like they spoke to me.

i liked call of duty back when it was called MOH:Allied Assault ;) fuck all these assholes who've only been on the train since 2007

Xamdou

Bububu COD fad is dying out.

BLOPS2 is on its way to shatter MW3 sales records.

And then next year's cod will breaks this year's black ops 2 record. The only way this pattern will end is when the next gen consoles are released which will have drastically lower install base.

And then next year's cod will breaks this year's black ops 2 record. The only way this pattern will end is when the next gen consoles are released which will have drastically lower install base.
Even so Activision will keep pumping out CoDs for the lesser consoles for years, I imagine.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I honestly thought after MW3 the series would slowly decline in sales.
It likely is. MW3 sold less than Black Ops. Then again, it had poor word of mouth, so it's hard to say whether that was because of a general decline in interest in the series.
The games are probably getting more frontloaded, so I'd expect the pre-order record to be topped for next year's instalment as well.
Even so Activision will keep pumping out CoDs for the lesser consoles for years, I imagine.
Would be smart.

angelfly

BLOPS was the last CoD played and I really enjoyed it. I haven't played an FPS since last year so I'm looking forward to this. The settings and campaign changes sound great. I'm one of the minority that plays these games for the single player so this trailer along with the GB special has got me hyped.

Xamdou

True. It will be interesting to see this the big 3's press conferences this year at E3. Will they announce the new consoles or just continue on with the exclusives?

For sure MS will premiere a BlackOps exclusive first look of some kind and then continue on with timed exclusive DLC's like what they have always done.

Goomba64

Banned
Hmmm, you guys think he is right about Xbox not getting the maps early anymore?

What were the specifics of that deal MS made? I cant for the life of me remember them now. I know MS announced them at E3.
i believe the deal has expired. if i remember correctly they always did 2year deals... W@W/MW2 then BO/MW3. but they'll probably announce another at e3 :/

Top Bottom