• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 PC performance thread

bbd23

volumetric lighting keeps getting turned off I noticed.

everytime i launch the game I have to set it again.

I have everything set to medium and that seems to fix the stuttering. Only had it happen once in a MP match that may have been latency, not sure.

Anyone else getting the blue screen after MP matches?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
There's nothing weird with this that would stop a Steam refund from going through back to the original payment method, right? Just wondering as might pick it up to test performance but will probably end up getting it elsewhere. :)

No. If a package contains something that renders it automatically ineligible for a refund, the cart page will tell you as much.

Tovarisc

Played through SP last night. Looked pretty for most part with some nasty textures here and there, but nothing mind-blowing stuff either way imo.

Settings:
  • 2715x1527 (DSR)
  • Textures & Shadow Map Quality on High
  • SMAA T2x
  • Rest is Maxed out / On
Rig:
  • i5 6600K @ 4.5GHz
  • 16GB DDR4
  • 980Ti - 358.87 drivers
Performance:
  • Fost most part (98%) of the time game would maintain locked 60FPS no matter what. There was some scenes, e.g. one dialogue scene that was super focused on characters face, that would take shit on performance and drop FPS to <=25. Also at times game would hitch for few seconds at beginning of mission, but for most part it was smooth sailing.
  • Multiplayer is 60FPS with those settings, no drops.
  • Hardware utilization is ~75% CPU, 5.5 - 6.0GB of RAM and 5.5 - 5.8GB of VRAM

jorimt

Anyone else experiencing 12+ GB of system RAM usage and low memory errors in the campaign?

Specs:

nVidia Driver: 358.87
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2
CPU: i7-4770k @4.2GHz (HT Enabled)
Heatsink: Hyper 212 Evo w/2x Noctua NF-F12 Fans
GPU: GIGABYTE GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming 6GB
RAM: 16GB G.SKILL Sniper @1866MHz
SSD (OS): 256GB Samsung 850 Pro
HDD (Games): 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black 7200 RPM

In-game settings maxed @1080p with 130% res. Zombies and Multiplayer I'm experiencing zero issue. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the fact that I have it installed on my HDD (for the size of my SSD, 60GB is too much to ask...at least with FO4 pre-installed as well; FO4 comes first ;p), but I just don't see why it would need access to that much ram.

Seems likes something that needs serious fixing, but with PC ports nowadays, who knows. Ever since Watch Dogs and the switch to unified memory on the current-gen consoles, devs just can't seem to get their act together on PC specific memory management.

Anyone else experiencing 12+ GB of system RAM usage and low memory errors in the campaign?

Specs:

nVidia Driver: 358.87
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2
CPU: i7-4770k @4.2GHz (HT Enabled)
Heatsink: Hyper 212 Evo w/2x Noctua NF-F12 Fans
GPU: GIGABYTE GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming 6GB
RAM: 16GB G.SKILL Sniper @1866MHz
SSD (OS): 256GB Samsung 850 Pro
HDD (Games): 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black 7200 RPM

In-game settings maxed @1080p with 130% res. Zombies and Multiplayer I'm experiencing zero issue. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the fact that I have it installed on my HDD (for the size of my SSD, 60GB is too much to ask...at least with FO4 pre-installed as well; FO4 comes first ;p), but I just don't see why it would need access to that much ram.

Seems likes something that needs serious fixing, but with PC ports nowadays, who knows. Ever since Watch Dogs and the switch to unified memory on the current-gen consoles, devs just can't seem to get their act together on PC specific memory management.

The game has massive memory leak issues on PC.

Let's hope so. I'd hate to think it was working as intended.

Thankfully, the campaign is incredibly dull; my only reason for slogging through it, is to unlock the zombie version.

I've come to realize that I don't care for any of the treyarch campaigns. Last one I beat was world at war and I hated it

Tovarisc

The game has massive memory leak issues on PC.

Massive mem leak that only affects some players while not others, eh? For me game stabilizes to around 6GB RAM and 5.6GB VRAM usage when playing, if game had "massive mem leak" those numbers would keep rising.

I have somewhat same spec as jorimt, like you can see in post above, and I don't experience low memory issues. I wonder what is causing it for him, messed around with mem settings in Windows?

IMACOMPUTA

Setup Nvidia Surround. Start the game and set the split screen to vertical if I remember correctly. It will put each player on their own monitors. Have my wife on the 70 and my niece on the 27 inch monitor downstairs.

I can't do nvidia surround. It tells me something about timing needing to match on both monitors. Trying to use a projector and a 1440p monitor.

Massive mem leak that only affects some players while not others, eh? For me game stabilizes to around 6GB RAM and 5.6GB VRAM usage when playing, if game had "massive mem leak" those numbers would keep rising.

I have somewhat same spec as jorimt, like you can see in post above, and I don't experience low memory issues. I wonder what is causing it for him, messed around with mem settings in Windows?

Yeah it is hit or miss, myself had memory leaks that I have to restart the game every hour, one of my friends however is completely fine.

16GB ram, i5 4670, 980ti.

Played several campaign missions. Turned down shadows and textures one notch from extra. Seems relatively good but is a bit... jittery? stuttery? Something like that. I haven't actually turned on framerate counters so I'm not totally sure but it feels that way.

When I tried to resume campaign after closing it, it tried to start from the beginning, but when I went to Steam offline mode it fixed it. Were the servers down?

I think Online and Offline campaign have different progress. Which really sucks, because I started campaign offline and now I'm stuck offline with it I think. I can't bring my progress over.

Randam

I'll just ask here: how can I skip the logos after starting the game for the first time?

and is there a GAF COD PC/Steam Community?

Nabs

I'll just ask here: how can I skip the logos after starting the game for the first time?

and is there a GAF COD PC/Steam Community?

There's a video folder in your Blops 3 install folder. The intro video is the very first one there. Just rename it and you should be good to go.

jorimt

I've come to realize that I don't care for any of the treyarch campaigns. Last one I beat was world at war and I hated it

I've played every CoD campaign since CoD 2 on 360, and World at War was by far my least favorite also. Not sure why, but I just couldn't stand that game. I didn't see the appeal in its multiplayer for some reason either.

In my opinion, the only CoD entry that really holds up as a standalone campaign is still CoD 4 Modern Warfare.

jorimt

What's your page file set to? I manually have it set on my secondary HDD to 250 MB; just enough for crash dumps.

The memory issue seems random. I was only experiencing it in the campaign, but I did just experience it tonight in multiplayer. Usually, system RAM usage hovers in the upper 8GB to lower 9GB, but this time it spiked to 12GB+ mid-match, and gave me a low memory warning, just like in the campaign. As for the amount of background programs I run, I only ever have Razer Synapse (none of its extra processes either), MSI afterburner, OC guru (for the factory overclock), and Steam. So, at my desktop, before launching the game, I'm only averaging 1.8 GB of total RAM usage.

Nvidia's Manuel Guzman did post this on his Twitter two days ago in response to this issue:
https://twitter.com/ManuelGuzman/status/662749922463121408

8gb RAM

Runs at 60fps (capped) about 99.9% of the time with everything at High/enabled, with short drops into the low 50s. The drops didn't seem to directly correlate with how much was happening on screen, which made me think some of them were down to the level streaming/loading.

Tovarisc

What's your page file set to? I manually have it set on my secondary HDD to 250 MB; just enough for crash dumps.

The memory issue seems random. I was only experiencing it in the campaign, but I did just experience it tonight in multiplayer. Usually, system RAM usage hovers in the upper 8GB to lower 9GB, but this time it spiked to 12GB+ mid-match, and gave me a low memory warning, just like in the campaign. As for the amount of background programs I run, I only ever have Razer Synapse (none of its extra processes either), MSI afterburner, OC guru (for the factory overclock), and Steam. So, at my desktop, before launching the game, I'm only averaging 1.8 GB of total RAM usage.

Nvidia's Manuel Guzman did post this on his Twitter two days ago in response to this issue:
https://twitter.com/ManuelGuzman/status/662749922463121408

I haven't messed around with page file. I checked where it's at and it's set to 2.4GB. I have never looked into messing around with page file as every now and then you run into posts how lowering it made game X or Y unstable.

jorimt

I haven't messed around with page file. I checked where it's at and it's set to 2.4GB. I have never looked into messing around with page file as every now and then you run into posts how lowering it made game X or Y unstable.

Hmm, just set my page file to the Windows recommended and continued the campaign; it stuttered a little less, but it went over 13 GB of ram, gave me a low memory error, and crashed to the desktop about 7 minutes after launching.

While this may be an isolated issue, affecting only a few (else we'd be hearing of it constantly from the Steam forums), it is a genuine issue nonetheless. I really hope this gets some attention from the devs soon.

Tovarisc

Hmm, just set my page file to the Windows recommended and continued the campaign; it stuttered a little less, but it went over 13 GB of ram, gave me a low memory error, and crashed to the desktop about 7 minutes after launching.

While this may be an isolated issue, affecting only a few (else we'd be hearing of it constantly from the Steam forums), it is a genuine issue nonetheless. I really hope this gets some attention from the devs soon.

I don't want even know what kind nightmare it will be for devs to track that mem leak down and fix it. Some get affected by it while some don't, even we have quite similar specs across the board and I don't have leak while you have it. Sucks :/

Hopefully devs are aware of this and are looking into it.

DeaviL

Banned
Whats it with PC games and these disasters lately?
I'm starting to feel like this is on purpose and they're trying to drive people back to consoles like cattle.

I hope this isn't going to continue across other games.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
The biggest issue I have had with the game is that during single player and multiplayer it would be stable as a rock but then all of a sudden kinda freeze/get very slow and then go back to normal. Is that due to RAM or streaming issues ? I have my settings set to High with volumetric lighting turned off. It doesn't happen often, just now and again.

I've also noticed that my hard drive seems to be going quite a lot especially when I exit the game to desktop. Could just be my hard drive though. I really need to get an SSD anyway.

realcZk

Pretty annoying how while aiming down sight, the sensitivity is lower than hip fire. There's no way to change that afaik...

I've just been running hip-fire smg and shotguns so I never have to ADS

Tovarisc

Pretty annoying how while aiming down sight, the sensitivity is lower than hip fire. There's no way to change that afaik...

I've just been running hip-fire smg and shotguns so I never have to ADS

Yeah, it's so weird design decision. They thought messing with mouse sensitivity like that helps up with target tracking and stuff?

Also it's quite annoying that you actually have to stop firing in order for melee to trigger. You can't just fire at someone and then tap hotkey for melee attack to get that killing swing in. Like... why?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I'm getting around 100fps average in multiplayer on a 780 GTX, at high settings. There's a tiny bit of stutter at the beginning of the match, and the occasional drop during an effects heavy scene. But it sure isn't a looker at all. And the AA is really blurry. Definitely not a hardware showcase.

jorimt

I don't want even know what kind nightmare it will be for devs to track that mem leak down and fix it. Some get affected by it while some don't, even we have quite similar specs across the board and I don't have leak while you have it. Sucks :/

Hopefully devs are aware of this and are looking into it.

I think I may have found the culprit: "Dynamic" motion blur. I had it activated (it is at default), because, going by the description, it seems to be per object w/no camera blur, which I prefer to full or no blur.

I had seen brief mention of it being an issue somewhere (don't remember where), but I thought it was too simple to be worth trying. That, and why in the heck would motion blur create memory issues? Sure enough though, both the campaign and the multiplayer exhibit far less memory usage with either motion blur full on or completely off (again, enabling the middle "Dynamic" setting seems to cause the problems), and (so far) I'm no longer getting super high memory usage, low memory warnings or crashes.

Go figure.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
My friend crashes whenever he uses Sparrow, or even when it's used in the final kill cam, is anyone else getting this? He's using a 660 with latest drivers.

My friend crashes whenever he uses Sparrow, or even when it's used in the final kill cam, is anyone else getting this? He's using a 660 with latest drivers.

My sin has a 660. Lots of issues. Down clocking it by 10 percent fixed them

realcZk

This has probably already been posted here but I found that changing my Display gamma from PC (sRGB) to HDTV really helped with the colors not being so washed out and flat.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Whats it with PC games and these disasters lately?
I'm starting to feel like this is on purpose and they're trying to drive people back to consoles like cattle.

I hope this isn't going to continue across other games.

That would make sense if the FPS on this game was actually solid on consoles. Played campaign tonight and that def is the worst performing COD this gen.

Makes sense with how open many of the levels are and the amount of enemies and pure destruction on screen, but its still very annoying

Anybody else having problems with high refresh monitors? I cannot seem to get it to change from 60hz even though the desktop is running at 144 and the game is set to 144. :S

Gibbo

Anybody else having problems with high refresh monitors? I cannot seem to get it to change from 60hz even though the desktop is running at 144 and the game is set to 144. :S

No issues for me as well. Using a BenQ. Game runs like a charm since I installed the latest amd drivers

Not me, my 144hz monitor is working fine.

Is your refresh rate set to 60 in nvidia/amd control panel, maybe?

How bizarre. And it seems to be only occurring on Black Ops 3 (just checked Black Ops 2).

EDIT: Ahh! Found the issue. Didn't realize they had two separate things for max framerate and refresh rate -_-

h0tp0ck3t

Hey guys I'm gonna be looking to upgrade my 8 (0.o) year old 1680x1050 monitor to something that can at least do 1080p

I'm getting a rock solid 60 fps at that res right now in MP. You think this system would be able to get the same at 1920x1080?

i5-2500K 3.3ghz
Nvidia GTX 970
8gig Ram

Edit: Game settings are everything on high, shadows and shaders medium, AA off

Top Bottom