• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 PC performance thread

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Hey guys I'm gonna be looking to upgrade my 8 (0.o) year old 1680x1050 monitor to something that can at least do 1080p

I'm getting a rock solid 60 fps at that res right now in MP. You think this system would be able to get the same at 1920x1080?

i5-2500K 3.3ghz
Nvidia GTX 970
8gig Ram

Edit: Game settings are everything on high, shadows and shaders medium, AA off
Most likely yes. I have a worse GPU and CPU than you and I still average much higher than 60fps.

Swarna

FUCKING REVELATION BREH

The answer is RAM. Fucking RAM.

I had issues using the Extra Texture/Shadow Map setting on my 970 without stuttering. (1080p)

Saw some stuff on the Steam forums and upgraded my RAM to 16GB today(from 8GB). Now I can max everything out in the options and haven't experienced a single stutter in 2 hours of campaign gameplay.

System RAM shoots up past 8GB a lot and VRAM is completely maxed out but despite that it's smooth.

I did not expect that tbh. Maybe this is old news but, whatever, someone might benefit.

SliChillax

FUCKING REVELATION BREH

I had issues using the Extra Texture/Shadow Map setting on my 970 without stuttering. (1080p)

Saw some stuff on the Steam forums and upgraded my RAM to 16GB today(from 8GB). Now I can max everything out in the options and haven't experienced a single stutter in 2 hours of campaign gameplay.

System RAM shoots up past 8GB a lot and VRAM is completely maxed out but despite that it's smooth.

I did not expect that tbh. Maybe this is old news but, whatever, someone might benefit.

980ti, 16gb ram, 5820k i7, tons of stuttering on a gsync monitor.

Kezen

Banned
FUCKING REVELATION BREH

We already knew the game asked for a lot of memory and VRAM. Even with 16gb and 4gb of VRAM the "extra" textures annihilate my framerate.

Swarna

Weird. I did the .ini tweak (0.75 targeted VRAM usage) if that makes any difference. My specs are in this post. I guess I still don't know wtf is going if your beast machines are stuttering. Would be fucking retarded if it's related to newer i5 models. I'll play some more and post an update later (on stuttering).

I wasn't talking about frame-rate, btw. Just referring to no more stuttering. I haven't seen FPS drops lower than 70 (my cap) so far in 2 hours of SP. That might still get fucked later.

Huge improvement with the patch (i5 3570k / 970, settings maxed but no vsync). CPU usage used to be at 100% pretty much nonstop but now it's hovering between 50-60% in game. The weird dips where the framerate would cut in half and my mouse would start to feel like a wiimote are gone, multiplayer is a damn near constant 60fps now. Campaign still dips to 30-45, but the mouse remains responsive during the dips, which it did noooot before.

robotrock

Banned
Huge improvement with the patch (i5 3570k / 970, settings maxed but no vsync). CPU usage used to be at 100% pretty much nonstop but now it's hovering between 50-60% in game. The weird dips where the framerate would cut in half and my mouse would start to feel like a wiimote are gone, multiplayer is a damn near constant 60fps now. Campaign still dips to 30-45, but the mouse remains responsive during the dips, which it did noooot before.

Good to hear about the improvments. I wish they I could have two different setting profiles for campaign and then multiplayer

Kezen

Banned
Did not improve or decrease performance on my end, I will try using "extra" textures and see if anything has changed.

Very good performance so far (SP).

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I was at 120fps 99% before the patch and still am, but they've fixed the hitching at the start of matches so I'm happy, the game runs perfectly.

robotrock

Banned
How do you activate campaign split screen in this game? I have two wireless xbox one controllers with the adapter, and can't seem to get the second one to show up in game.

gnexus

Did something happen with the latest patch? I was hitting 120ish frames on 1440p maxed out on my Titan X just yesterday, and now my frames are only capping out at 30..

Rainy Dog

How do you activate campaign split screen in this game? I have two wireless xbox one controllers with the adapter, and can't seem to get the second one to show up in game.

I came across this last night. Can't be done using a controller, you have to use a mouse to click on activate spliscreen underneath your player name on the right. A bit ridiculous, I know.

Also found that you can't start a match on the same team as your splitscreen friend. Auto puts you on opposing teams.

Not the most polished implementation of spltscreen, really.

After the the latest patch I'm experiencing a strange bug. For some reason the game doesn't recognize the start button on my xbox one elite controller anymore while ingame. I have to use my keyboard to get in the menu. Once in the menu the button is recognided and I can press it to get back in the game where it's suddenly not being recognised anymore...
I'm on win 10 btw with the latest win update.
As far as my performance goes, in the short period I've played I didn't seem to spot any major performance differences after the patch. Setting the textures to ultra still introduce random frame drops for no particular reasons and frames are still all over the place.

mbmonk

The patch made the MP framerate much more stable. Before even using the frame rate limiter the fps would jump up and down constantly. Now it stay very stable. It has been a huge improvement for me.

i7 5820k
GTX 980
16gb Ram

So Guys the game runs great but at 1440p I seem to have medium textures all over instead of extra textures like I selected, any idea what to do?

Gav47

i7 5820k
GTX 980
16gb Ram

So Guys the game runs great but at 1440p I seem to have medium textures all over instead of extra textures like I selected, any idea what to do?

Edit the ini file in your player folder wherever you installed the game, save the changes and then make the file read only.

Flaxh

Guys I bought the game today and played for an hour or so and I have to say that I'm disapointed.

I played the Beta on PS4 and my PC for 25h without any problems, all settings on High or higher in this rig: i5 3570k, 8gb ram, gtx 770 2GB.

Now I have to run it on medium and I'm getting a lot of stutter. Also, there's a strange issue with the VSYNC because I set max frames to 60 and the games runs 85% of the time between that and 62.

Any tips? Long time COD player but first one on PC

Guys I bought the game today and played for an hour or so and I have to say that I'm disapointed.

I played the Beta on PS4 and my PC for 25h without any problems, all settings on High or higher in this rig: i5 3570k, 8gb ram, gtx 770 2GB.

Now I have to run it on medium and I'm getting a lot of stutter. Also, there's a strange issue with the VSYNC because I set max frames to 60 and the games runs 85% of the time between that and 62.

Any tips? Long time COD player but first one on PC

Your video memory is probably the issue. Set textures to medium or lower, also I don't think other graphical settings improve the visuals all that much at higher settings either. But honestly, you might have to set resolution scale to 90% or 80% if you are playing at 1080p for solid 60 fps with no drops.

Ullus

Bought the game earlier today, and it's off to a really bad start.

First try: game crashed after 1 minute of online play.
Second try: Game crashed and locked up my computer after maybe 5 minutes of playtime.

Gonna try some other settings, see if that works.

EDIT: changed some settings and it works, for now

abracadaver

Are the church window textures in the WW2 multiplayer map supposed to be this blurry?

311210_2015-11-21_0004as5h.png

I have textures set to extra

dr_rus

"Extra" Shadow Map Quality gives some really weird results in this game in some places, up to the point where I would actually recommend "SMQ: High" as a better looking option in practice:

extra-18mohp.png
extra-2pwq72.png

ive played the campaign and wow this game is such an epic fail in so many ways. have to change my surround sound to stereo in my audio driver just to get sound. the entire game stutters and drops frames non stop, gpu usage is a roller coaster. frame pacing is dreadful. even in the rare cases gpu usage is above 90, the game runs and looks worse than advanced warfare by quite some margin. gameplay wise its the worst call of duty campaign ive played, as bad as battlefield 4. there wasnt a single epic setpiece in the entire game, and probably only 2 or 3 scenes(scenes, not levels) that were visually interesting to play through. 95% of the campaign is walking through random hallways and killing off hordes of the same exact robot for 1 minute while your partner hacks some console just so you can proceed to another hallway and do it all over again. even the city stage looks like nothing more than a wider hallway with the texture of buildings pasted on the walls.

Kezen

Banned
ive played the campaign and wow this game is such an epic fail in so many ways

I'm beginning to wonder which games are not in your opinion. I've played 8 hours of the campaign and this is one hell of an impressive game both in scale and tech.

I'm beginning to wonder which games are not in your opinion. I've played 8 hours of the campaign and this is one hell of an impressive game both in scale and tech.

the only recent games i recall viewing in a very negative manner other than this are arkham knight and battlefield 4 from a technical perspective. i dont think they are unwarranted views.

bbd23

so can I not play the campaign offline?

I keep getting connection interrupted...in fucking campaign...

edit: wrong thread -_-

LQX

Anyone else lose the "extra" graphics options? Extra graphics options is not even listed anymore.

Nokterian

Anyone else lose the "extra" graphics options? Extra graphics options is not even listed anymore.

Extra has always been a real cumberstone in cod on pc and it makes the textures even more blurry set it to high that is the proper one so far i know i had it with black ops 2 on pc also and black ops 1 etc.

Kezen

Banned
The extra shadowmap and textures have disappeared for me as well, presumably because of the fact I only have 4gb of VRAM.

Well, I was not running with those enabled but I'm pro-choice so I cannot condone any of that.

The "high" setting for OIT has vanished as well, great.

Oh well at least some won't complain that they can't run the game "maxed out" now.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I mucked around with the game with the settings you see in the OP (minus vsync) and had no issues (I've a 980). Seems strange to now forcibly limit the ceiling of certain settings.

Giving this a go as currently its a free weekend, I noticed I could only select "High" textures, turns out they restricted Extra textures based on GPU memory ?

Surely a 970 can handle this ? Or is this game a VRAM hogger ? I did remove the restriction and set the game to Extra (even tried everything on the highest settings), texture difference is pretty damn noticeable, no way would I want to stick with High. Game still seems buttery smooth (in-game FPS counter never seemingly dips below 60), with the odd hitch here and there, but I'm unsure if that's system or network related.

5olid_5nake

Sorry for bumping this thread, but I recently got the game as a gift and decided to run it on my brand new gtx 1060, expecting at least 60 fps with everything on extra.

And mostly it delivers, but the problem is that I have this stuttering that happens randomly, that can get so bad that I have to lower the difficulty and just run past all the baddies so I can go on to the next level.
And you will agree with me, that is not the way to play any game.

So are there any fixes? Tried searching on google but nothing :/.

Rest of the specs:

i5 3350p, 8GB of RAM and installed on a regular HDD.

Btw., I am interested only in the single player portion, not mp or zombies.

ISee

Sorry for bumping this thread, but I recently got the game as a gift and decided to run it on my brand new gtx 1060, expecting at least 60 fps with everything on extra.

And mostly it delivers, but the problem is that I have this stuttering that happens randomly, that can get so bad that I have to lower the difficulty and just run past all the baddies so I can go on to the next level.
And you will agree with me, that is not the way to play any game.

So are there any fixes? Tried searching on google but nothing :/.

Rest of the specs:

i5 3350p, 8GB of RAM and installed on a regular HDD.

Btw., I am interested only in the single player portion, not mp or zombies.

I remember this game being surprisingly CPU demanding during single player. My old 3570k (OCed to 4.3) was hammered pretty hard, also more than 8gb of ram are being used regularly here.
In general you should start thinking about a cpu and ram upgrade. Will help you a lot in many games.

5olid_5nake

I remember this game being surprisingly CPU demanding during single player. My old 3570k (OCed to 4.3) was hammered pretty hard, also more than 8gb of ram are being used regularly here.
In general you should start thinking about a cpu and ram upgrade. Will help you a lot in many games.

Yeah, similar to Just Cause 3, the game eats up 8GB of RAM quite quickly:

Damn, looks like I have no other option. Last night I played the level when you are located in Kairo (I think) and you have to defend the base against the oncoming attack. The stuttering was just awful. Some of them would last for two seconds and my character would literary jump from one place to another.

At first I though it was a question of memory leak, but I never though that the game would require 16gb of ram for the highest settings. And a beast of a cpu.

Nevertheless, thank you for your quick replies, even though there are no quick fixes :)

So finally got this, to go along with my slightly better system than before (same CPU, 2500K, 16GB DDR3 and an RX480 8GB), and yes it finally seems way more playable, especially with everything on highest. Game never seems to drop below 60 in the campaign, but seemingly does have the odd bits of stutter. Some levels were fine, barely a hitch, or ones that could be because of checkpoints. Other levels (like the second to last mission), while still playable, would have lots of points of half second pauses for seemingly no reason, despite everything around it running over 60 FPS. A couple of other levels did the same thing but I cant remember which ones (heh, that's the BLOPS 3 campaign for ya).

I also had on the last couple of missions, very weird stripe like textures appearing on characters heads, unless right up close in their face.

I hate when these things crop up, I'm left wondering if its either my system or just the game/engine.

Does MP also have every so often the smallest little hitch here and there ?

Top Bottom