• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare – "Black Sky" campaign gameplay

"Reyes, Do this! Reyes, do that!"

Brings back memories of my Ramirez days.

I really am warming up to this one. It doesn't look quite as busy as Black Ops 3 and I like the setting. The new color grading is also a very welcome change. Might not be day one, but this could be a great romp on PC.

Never a huge fan of that "on rails" COD campaign feel, but it's still all very impressive. The weapons look really awesome this time around and damn, that space dogfighting is crazy.

Still waiting to see how they handle multiplayer though.

Infinity Ward, make the ttk higher this time around (at least in non hardcore). You have the excuse of shields and robot shit!

Vire

Whoever voices the female character sounds really annoying.

Aside from that, it looks pretty damn good actually. I love the transition from ground to air.

What the hell is wrong with those dislikes on every COD video?
It's really suspect.

Its not really...a large portion of the cod community hate the direction cod is heading in....a hybrid between halo/titanfall and cod is not what many want....you wait and see the difference between people playing the cod4 remaster vs people playing the new cod.

etta

my hard graphic balls
You mean basic art design?
No, I mean the forceful blue and orange we have been used to for years in Battlefield.
Just needed to have new management. The two people leading IW didn't work on Ghosts. Both were ex-naughty dog.
Wait, the ex-Naughty Dog guys lead Infinity Ward? How long have they worked there?
Its not really...a large portion of the cod community hate the direction cod is heading in....a hybrid between halo/titanfall and cod is not what many want....you wait and see the difference between people playing the cod4 remaster vs people playing the new cod.
The majority of that difference will probably be due to Infinite Warfare being the new and fresh and not its futuristic setting. I personally think Call of Duty should leave the futuristic stuff to Mass Effect/Halo/Titanfall as they do it better. Though like I mentioned in the other thread, the atmosphere in this new video feels authentic to me, which never felt like before in the other futuristic Call of Duty games.

Megasoum

Banned
I realize that this is a dumb thing to say about a Call of Duty game but huh... That's not how orbital mechanics work. Flying straight up will not put you in orbit.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
the gun and reload animation makes me feel like they ripped off deus ex human revolution and mankind divided lol

Yup... I'm 100% done with the series after Black Ops 3.

I keep telling myself I'm done every time, but this time with TitanFall 2 and Battlefield 1 coming out. I'm definitely done with the series.

I couldn't even finish the campaign in BO3 because it was God awful!

I agree with you on the campaign but thought the multiplayer was some of the best in the series.

Kalentan

Wait, the ex-Naughty Dog guys lead Infinity Ward? How long have they worked there?

Their not like the CEO or stuff but they're the Narrative Director and Design Director. They've also been the face of nearly any interviews and such they've done thus far.

They've been there for nearly a year now- and they did say that Infinite Warfare, at least the idea was there already but that they wanted to improve upon it and make the CoD they wanted.

Megasoum

Banned
I suspect they do that to hide map transitions.

Yeah of course... I mean it looks really cool in the game but they could have done it with lateral velocity too instead of going straight up vertical.

Anyway, again, super dumb detail to point out but I've played too much Kerbal Space Program lol

The ground stuff looked like the same shooting gallery CoD gameplay, but the transition to space looked cool. The lighting and atmosphere is fantastic, although it looks like they brought back the shitty broken screen space reflections from Ghosts (the screen is just flipped upside down in reflective surfaces).

Going to wait for reviews and general reactions but cautiously optimistic for this one.

kanuuna

I'm surprised they haven't shown off Kit Harrington's character from the game yet. Next trailer maybe? I feel like Call of Duty games have done a really good job with Hollywood actors in their campaigns, so I'm excited to see him at it.

Kalentan

I'm surprised they haven't shown off Kit Harrington's character from the game yet. Next trailer maybe?

He was in one of the initial teaser trailers and his character spoke over the Nuketown Map in Black Ops 3 just around the time of the teasers.

Looks pretty good and I am interested in the direction the story is going to go but I think I'll wait a while before buying. I got burned out quite quickly with Black ops 3.

Just need a small break from the series until the fatigue wanes down.

Toa TAK

Banned
I'm a lot more happy with this than the Sony Press Conference gameplay. A LOT more. Still don't care much for the space dogfights, but everything else leading up to it was visceral and chaotic as it should be. The charge up the hill gave some serious COD2 vibes. All this boots on the ground gameplay has me pretty excited. New toys are neat, I guess. Calling in the Jackal is cool, though I'm not sold on it if it's only done sparingly throughout the campaign.

But damn, I do wish COD would find someway to go back to being a grunt or someone by the bottom of the totem pole again. The feeling of vulnerability and knowing how expendable you were in the face of danger is something COD titles have been missing for years.

So yeah. Looking forward to this a little more now. Do wish they changed up the player character a bit, though. It's really cool to see this variety in nationalities but you still play as another middle-ages white dude.

The SP looks a million times better than Black Ops 3s already but that wouldn't be much of a feat considering it was trash. Still not gettin it tho. Make CoD 4 remaster a standalone.

I liked the E3 gameplay they showed, but this just looks like Advanced Warfare. They are all really looking like the same game. The distinctions between World at War , Modern Warfare, Black Ops part 1 last gen was nice.

I'm a lot more happy with this than the Sony Press Conference gameplay. A LOT more. Still don't care much for the space dogfights, but everything else leading up to it was visceral and chaotic as it should be. The charge up the hill gave some serious COD2 vibes. All this boots on the ground gameplay has me pretty excited. New toys are neat, I guess. Calling in the Jackal is cool, though I'm not sold on it if it's only done sparingly throughout the campaign.

But damn, I do wish COD would find someway to go back to being a grunt or someone by the bottom of the totem pole again. The feeling of vulnerability and knowing how expendable you were in the face of danger is something COD titles have been missing for years.

So yeah. Looking forward to this a little more now. Do wish they changed up the player character a bit, though. It's really cool to see this variety in nationalities but you still play as another middle-ages white dude.

I agree I would love that felling of not having everyone wait for you to open a door or lead the way , the old games were great and pushing you forward but still making you feel like your lagging behind .

That hill assault gave me Normandy sort of vibes as they jump over the hill.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Their not like the CEO or stuff but they're the Narrative Director and Design Director. They've also been the face of nearly any interviews and such they've done thus far.

They've been there for nearly a year now- and they did say that Infinite Warfare, at least the idea was there already but that they wanted to improve upon it and make the CoD they wanted.

Interesting interesting. I wonder how much amount of work did they really change with one year though, since the game was on a three year cycle. But storytelling and atmosphere do look very intriguing and both of those guys are leading narrative and design, very curious indeed.

LostDonkey

That looked sick as fuck. I've tried to stay in the dark about this, and with all the negativity going around I wasn't expecting much. But after my own personal disappointment with BF being WW1 I clicked on the video and yeah, Day fucking 1 man!

That was great.

Kalentan

Interesting interesting. I wonder how much amount of work did they really change with one year though, since the game was on a 3 year cycle. But storytelling and atmosphere do look very intriguing and both of those guys are leading narrative and design, very curious indeed.

Oh wait I'm an idiot... They joined in August 2014. For some reason I had a brain fart and thought that was a year ago. >.>

Not all that impressed...

If they had something new and exciting to show in the campaign, then they would have shown it in this video. The space fight stuff is fine, but not exactly a game changer. With Call of Duty now on three year dev cycles, it's a shame that no one is actually being ambitious with the single player portion. I honestly expect more than a linear scripted campaign at this point.

We've had almost a decades worth of samey scripted Call of Duty campaigns. And if you ask me, the campaign portion of this series peaked at Modern Warfare 2. I really do think this is the time to change things up. Not saying it has to go open world or whatever, but maybe a shift to either more sandboxy gameplay or a highly narrative driven experience would be a start.

Kalentan

Not all that impressed...

If they had something new and exciting to show in the campaign, then they would have shown it in this video. The space fight stuff is fine, but not exactly a game changer. With Call of Duty now on three year dev cycles, it's a shame that no one is actually being ambitious with the single player portion. I honestly expect more than a linear scripted campaign at this point.

We've had almost a decades worth samey scripted Call of Duty campaigns. And if you ask me, the campaign portion of this series peaked at Modern Warfare 2. I really do think this is the time to change things up. Not saying it has to go open world or whatever, but maybe a shift to either more sandboxy gameplay or a highly narrative driven experience would be a start.

I mean... the missions will be linear but the mission at e3 was actually a side mission. So it's linear as in level design but it's not one main mission to the next.

You go back to your ship after each mission and can explore it.

bryanee

Looking forward to this one. Between this, BF1, TF2 and MWR I think I'll be set for FPS games or quite some time.

I mean... the missions will be linear but the mission at e3 was actually a side mission. So it's linear as in level design but it's not one main mission to the next.

You go back to your ship after each mission and can explore it.

Well, that's my point. This missions themselves are still the same linear scripted stuff.

The ship stuff is cool, but like the space combat, it's not a game changer.

Kalentan

Well, that's my point. This missions themselves are still the same linear scripted stuff.

The ship stuff is cool, but like the space combat, it's not a game changer.

I mean what else do you expect I guess? They tried more open levels with Black Ops 3 and that didn't really work out.

I mean what else do you expect I guess? They tried more open levels with Black Ops 3 and that didn't really work out.

So they shouldn't change things up just because one game failed at doing so?

Nothing about Call of Duty is written in stone. Unless I'm mistaken, there are no rules that say Call of Duty has to stick to the same campaign formula every year. We have three studios working on this series, a little variation in the series would be a nice change of pace.

Kalentan

So they shouldn't change things up just because one game failed at doing so?

Nothing about Call of Duty is written in stone. Unless I'm mistaken, there are no rules that say Call of Duty has to stick to the same campaign formula every year. We have three studios working on this series, a little variation in the series would be a nice change of pace.

I'm not saying that, but I just don't see what else they could do without going too far out of what CoD. I don't see what they could do without losing CoD. I think the fact that they're adding side missions is already a set up by allowing the player to do more than just the main missions.

I mean what would you have them do? People are already getting angry with the series now, I doubt they want to change it too much.

I do agree that they could open up the levels. I do like having the options to take on alternate paths which would be cool.

I am gonna miss Master Chief, Halo is not the same without him

EDIT: Dat robot movement

EDIT: 2 the Smart shotgun looks good but the rest of the gameplay is the same of the same old scripted campaign

jett

D-Member
The space combat part is really intriguing. Which they showed AND talked more about that. The rest is the same ol' same ol'.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Looks good! I never thought IW's janitors could clean up so well, but i guess Neversoft is helping out more than i thought.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
graphics look really good, but sadly the campaign combat looks as dull as ever. but holy shit when they fly into space! i may be buying my first cod since MW2. lets see multiplayer

Top Bottom