• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can Nintendo win you back?

ChaosXVI

I'm still on the Nintendo train and my Wii U is my primary console. My PS4 is collecting a mountain of dust. The only big AAA release I've bought since August is Bloodborne and I couldn't get into it so I traded it in. I've gotten more use out of my PS4 as a Blu-Ray player.

I also bought the Tomb Raider reboot since a lot of GAFfers seems to love it, but the story is so on the nose it completely turned me off from it.

The last year and a half has shown a Nintendo who are slowly embracing change and the digital age.

While I'm sure they'll still make some antiquated decisions, I am definitely excited to see what the NX will be like.

Ludist210

I never left. Nintendo makes games I wanna play. 95% of the AAA industry is so boring.
You echo my sentiments well...they've gone hard into the indie scene this generation (mostly out of necessity) and I've played some fantastic games on the Wii U that I might not have given a chance otherwise.

To win back the mainstream crowd though, they need to change their architecture to be similar to that of other consoles (x86). They can still be different while being similar.

FLAguy954

They never really lost me since I love their handhelds. They lost me on the console front though; I haven't gave a fuck about Nintendo's console hardware since the Wii.

I was a victim of the infamous GameCube droughts and they lost me when I seen the writing on the wall that they could appeal/appease third parties starting with the Wii. The Wii U further proves the point that I've done well to avoid their consoles.

I now have a Nintendo hand held/PC combo and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

EDIT: Another thing that has been bothering me is that Nintendo has been throwing the middle finger at their cash cow (3DS) in order to make their failing platform (the Wii U) look good and that doesn't sit right with me.

Madness

They don't have the ability to do so in the modern games industry anymore. They need to make tons of profit on their hardware to subsidize games development costs and maintain max profit. They don't have the deep pockets of Microsoft or the varied corporate business of Sony.

Why is Nintendo losing? Because AAA development has surpassed them and they've been left behind. They use smoke and mirrors to disguise limited game play and visual and technical fidelity. Games like Skyrim, Dragon Age, Witcher 3 have surpassed what a Legend of Zelda can ever do. Whereas Metroid Prime, Ocarina of Time, Super Mario 64 were all pushing the industry forward with cutting edge visuals, audio and game design, their games, while still fun to play, are very limited.

But if they want me back, they need to be able to provide full third party support. This includes matching their competitors hardware. Do I really want to forgo Mass Effect, Destiny, Grand Theft Auto, Red Dead Redemption, Assassin's Creed, and dozens and dozens of other top games, just to play Mario Kart again, to play Mario 3D Land? However, if they can at least let me play third party games, with comparable visuals and game play, of course I'd want to buy Nintendo again. If I can play Smash Bros and NHL 16, and Battlefront and the next gen Mass Effect, why wouldn't I? Microsoft really harmed the Halo franchise and I'm losing the reverence I had for it. I've never been into Sony. My brother was, I was Nintendo diehard and later OG Xbox along with gamecube and then only xbox 360.

~ZIO~

Neo Member
They haven't lost me to begin with.

But I'm an adult who holds no grudges or holds any favor towards any one company..

Just whoever provides a good Video Game experience.

And Nintendo has yet to let me down in such a way that I'd start ignoring them.

I'm not that petty yet.

They started losing me with the Wii, but region lock in a portable system was the straw that broke the camel's back.

How could they win me back? Region free, lower the prices and... make a new 2D Metroid.

Skulldead

They lost me after the N64, i still regret my purchase. Snes was the Heaven for JRPG and i thought it would be the case with the N64 with he Earthbound announcement...It became the weakest console in term of RPG (a chance Ogre Battle 64 exist)... So i decide to take the Ps2 to play all the ps1 gems that i've miss and not the gameCube. Then I never went back to Nintendo. I got a wii bit i bought it like 40$... to play 4-5 games...

There's always a chance but I don't think it'll happen with the management they have. Nintendo has way too much catching up to do in virtually all areas and I just don't see these issues getting fixed any time soon with Iwata and the gang in charge.

McHuj

I don't know.

I own a 3DS and WiiU. I haven't bought a game for the 3DS since Link Between Worlds. And I don't really plan on anything either. Nothing about the 3DS appeals to me any longer. Unless the next portable is truly something special, I'm not picking one up.

The WiiU was bought because I got a refurb cheap to play Mario3D, Kart, and Zelda. I'm not sure if I'll bother with the next console either. I really want more games that aren't all tailored to kids. I think NES/SNES offered way more variety and I miss that.

Simply put if Nintendo released a PS4+ power console with third party support, there would be no need or desire for me to even consider an Xbox or PS. Instead I always look at Nintendo as a secondary console that I have to justify purchasing.

Prine

Banned
- Powerful hardware
- Need to grow up. I get their games are for everyone, but they should drop that line of thinking and make some games for adults. I think they can offer alot here.
- Get with the times. Online,media and so on.

They already won me back, a 3DS was the first Nintendo system I bought since the original gameboy. Bought a Wii U shortly afterwards.

I had gotten bored after 2 decades of PC only gaming, was looking for something new and the high quality of the platform exclusives won me over.

The one thing I would like to see most in the future is the removal of region locks. I will move between continents soon, and I'm not looking forward to the experience.

komplanen

Nintendo can win me back really fucking easy:

- Powerful console with x86 architecture
- Unified accounts
- Modern online features (chat / voice-chat / etc.)
- Treat adult customers like adults (allowing chat / voice-chat / etc. in "children's games")
- Comfortable controller with all features that competition has (analogue triggers etc.)

If Nintendo wants to innovate on top of all of that? Be my quest! Just understand there are some basic requirements for a video game system and meet those before you start to invent new crap.

TLDR: Catch up to what everyone else has been doing for a decade before innovating on new stuff.

Make me a console on par with the specs and features of sony and i'll bite.
For how much? Would you buy it over a Playstation?
EDIT: Another thing that has been bothering me is that Nintendo has been throwing the middle finger at their cash cow (3DS) in order to make their failing platform (the Wii U) look good and that doesn't sit right with me.
Have you ever seen a Nintendo Direct? 3DS gets so much more love than Wii U it ain't even funny.

- Powerful hardware
- Need to grow up. I get their games are for everyone, but they should drop that line of thinking and make some games for adults. I think they can offer alot here.

What kind of games you talking about? Chances are they've made it, but you never played it.

Also think of the children. Let's not drown what little color there is left in the world.

OCD Guy

Nintendo already "has me".

However if they release another gimmick controller, and then fragment some of their games where you need old controllers to play them I'll be close to giving up.

Also I'm not sure how long I can keep playing a 3d Mario, another Mario Kart and 2d platformers.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
The only thing they could, and they won't, would be to release a really beefy new console in the next year or two, launch out of the gates with some big third party games, and no gimmicks.

Totally not Nintendo's mo on any front, but you asked the question.

Jb

Absolutely, I got both a 3DS and N3DS on day one and regularly buy games for it.
It's just that most of Nintendo's 1st party stuff on WiiU isn't really exciting me, with the exception of Tropical Freeze. I want them to be bold in both concept and scope when it comes to their big single player exclusives, and so far 3D World, Pikmin and Kirby feel like smaller entries in historically great franchises.
And obviously they'll have to get rid of region locking and get a proper account system in place before I'm 100% back on board.

andymcc

Banned
i've never not owned a nintendo system? they've hardly every been a generational favorite but I've always owned/played their consoles/games.

Geg

Oddly enough for me the Wii U brought me back after my interest kind of waned during the Wii. Despite the limited library I already have more games on my Wii U than I did on the Wii. I don't really know what it was specifically that appealed to me more though, but replaying Skyward Sword recently made me realize how much I dislike the wiimote

Sephzilla

1. Unified account system
  2. Cross-platform ownership of digital games
  3. Better online system (friends, messaging, voice chat)
  4. At least make a slightly stronger attempt at matching the competition tech wise
  5. No more gimmicks (wiimotes, touchscreens, etc)
More third parties will come back to Nintendo if these things happen, and with that more people will buy the system. I own a Wii-U and I love the first party games it has, but Nintendo seems to halfass everything else about their systems these days.

PaNaMa

Banned
Zero chance, unless they change their position on hardware.

I get that Nintendo is about fun. They focus on innovation in how gamers interact with games, new control ideas, more interactive gameplay waggles and tablets - and that's all good. It's great actually, if that's the new hook you're looking for. But (for me anyways) graphics still drive immersion.

If Nintendo could deliver a new Wave Race that was photo realistic with traditional controls and all the bells and whistles of modern career modes and online features ... vs a cartoony aliased version where I could use a cheapo tablet to somehow do something gimmicky... well I wouldn't choose the latter game. I realize I'm not their target audience.

So long as they continue to release graphics and CPU hardware that's a generation (or more) behind their competition, so long as they remain light years behind XBL or even PSN, it's going to be hard for me to choose their platform.

Caveat: My wife loves Mario, so we'll probably always have a Nintendo console, but 99% of gaming (and game purchases) in our house is PC/PS4.

OCD Guy

Ultimately wining people on neogaf over is not going to help Nintendo one bit.

They need the average consumer to buy their console, and the average consumer had no idea what a Wii U was, add to that no call of duty, FIFA or grand theft auto and they've got no chance. (Yes I know Wii u had a FIFA 13, and a couple of call of duty games but no one knew what the Wii u was)

The casual Wii buyers moved onto tablets and smart phones, Nintendo needs the mainstream playstation and Xbox buyer. They are the type that walk into GameStop and pay 60 dollars for Grand Theft Auto, FIFA and Call of duty, they don't read forums, they don't care about frame rates, resolutions, textures etc

Nintendo certainly need to change their marketing, there's a reason advertising and marketing is everywhere, just because it doesn't work on you, doesn't mean it doesn't work. The average person buys into advertising.

butman

Bring me an actual gen home console and we can talk again Ninty. Yeah multiplatform games are good too and i hate miss them or play poor ports.

Imagine having The Witcher 3 and Zelda Next Gen in one console. Damn!

I sold my Wii-U on Monday and just posted off Kart and 3D World to successful bidders this morning.

Nintendo don't appeal to me and getting the Wii-U was a mistake.

Only way they can get me back is with a more powerful system and massive 3rd party support. I can't survive with just Nintendo game.

Every generation I think they can win me back and I even buckle and buy their consoles but more and more I've come to the realisation that I just dont care for the type of games they make anymore. Thats not saying I think they are crap and there certainly is a place for them but I am a lot more interested in story focused games. To be honest though, even when I do just want a technically impressive platformer or something, yet another Mario game just isnt what I want anymore.

I don't know.

I own a 3DS and WiiU. I haven't bought a game for the 3DS since Link Between Worlds. And I don't really plan on anything either. Nothing about the 3DS appeals to me any longer. Unless the next portable is truly something special, I'm not picking one up.

The WiiU was bought because I got a refurb cheap to play Mario3D, Kart, and Zelda. I'm not sure if I'll bother with the next console either. I really want more games that aren't all tailored to kids. I think NES/SNES offered way more variety and I miss that.

Simply put if Nintendo released a PS4+ power console with third party support, there would be no need or desire for me to even consider an Xbox or PS. Instead I always look at Nintendo as a secondary console that I have to justify purchasing.

- Powerful hardware

What is involved in a game that is tailored for adults?

Sulik2

Home console with proper power, a true account system and an open world Mario sequel to Mario 64 and I'll be back with the NX. I own a Wii U and the only game I will probably ever play on it is Smash and maybe Zelda.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
They really just have to stop forcing innovation by alienating long time consumers from what they are accustomed with. The Dual Shock controller has done such an adamant job of progressing with technology and ideas without throwing out what is comfortable.

It's also about managing their demographic. How do you satisfy the old loyalist and enthusiasts who love Star Fox and F-Zero, as opposed to the casual family / children catalog. I certainly don't want to play a myriad of Mario spin-off titles and couch party games.

I've owned every Nintendo console since the SNES, so they never really lost me. That said, I would prefer a more traditional controller and a unified account system for 3DS and the new console. The game pad is cool, but there's hardly any really awesome use for it in most games I play. If I can, I play them with the pro controller anyway.

Never lost me. Next question?
The question is open to everyone.

I honestly just need a unified account system and some sort of achievement system. For some odd reason people found excuses not to add achievements. I think Nintendo can and would add an interesting twist to it. Unified account system is a no brainer.

I am already going to buy a Wii U but these things will ensure I don't get a Nintendo console late.

Flowmoney

I don't think Nintendo can win me back , I liked their consoles from Nes to GameCube and their handhelds from GB to DS.

Nowadays the games that they make aren't of my taste as I spend time wasted on hoping for titles that they aren't obligated to make. I bet we all want B tier Nintendo series back....

Even though I only got a Wii U for Smash 4. I don't think I would do it again for Smash 5 alone.

Things like F-zero , Custom Robo , Non Mario sports games and even weird titles like Kirby Air ride among others are what grab my attention.

Out of their current line up , nothing really impresses me in the slightly.

I've played all the first party several times too by borrowing them.

Top Bottom