• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can Nintendo win you back?

Lionheart

As for your first Point: You really want them to go with an underpowered Console again? Because this is what you will get for <250&#8364;
I think they won't release their new console before Q4 2016. They can get PS4 like graphics at &#8364; 250 around that time, maybe a little less, but graphics isn't what a Nintendo console is about for me. Plus, it would still be a second console for me, so I want it to be affordable. I won't buy it at &#8364; 399 as I'm perfectly happy with my PS4.

As for your Pokémon point: I just don't like to play games on a portable. I want a game like that on a big screen. I know it won't happen, but still, it could be the perfect game for me. And I still think you need more than semi MMO like features for it to reach full potential.

I can't see them ever winning me back. I don't care for their first party lineup and I mainly play the big 3rd party games so there's no reason for me to pick a Nintendo console at all. Especially over a Sony or MS console.

Maiar_m

They never lost me and I don't want them to win anyone back. The people they "lost" aren't interested in what makes Nintendo Nintendo in the first place. It even baffles me that people would want that situation to change as it's the only way to get a truly different gaming experience. Another Sony or MS makes no sense at all.

Nintendo lost me after the Wii.

Waggling away with friends and family was ok for a while but the underpowered nature of the system and gimmicky motion controls put me off eventually.

I love their IP so much, Mario et all, and I've been tempted to get a Wii U a lot lately but the crazy price and crummy gamepad are severely off putting. I really, really miss playing stuff like Mario Kart and Donkey Kong though :(

Ninty just need to put a little horsepower into their next system, improve their release schedule for games because I think it's frankly appalling without the support from third party, and I'll be back with open arms.

Also, cut out the Amibo DLC horse shit everyone has been a sap for lately.

Pizza

The Wii U pulled me back in. I was extremely let down by the Wii and dropped it as something I even bought games for. Then the Wii U's laughable launch happened and I was real happy I didn't need to buy another console.

A friend of mine picked it up, and while Nintendoland was rad I didn't see it as "buy this console" Worthy.

Pikmin 3 is 100% what sold me though. That got me to buy the console, then the games have been coming at a reasonable pace ever since. Games like Hyrule Warriors and Mario Kart 8 are what I look for from Nintendo and boy have they been delivering lately.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
They lost me after the Gamecube, as the Wii is the worst piece of shit console I have ever bought. A moderately powerful console with a non-gimmicky controller and Nintendo games is all I want.

If the NX is a full console, I can see it being released late 2016 and not being as powerful as the XB1 and PS4 from 2013.

Neoxon

They lost me after the Gamecube, as the Wii is the worst piece of shit console I have ever bought. A moderately powerful console with a non-gimmicky controller and Nintendo games is all I want.

If the NX is a full console, I can see it being released late 2016 and not being as powerful as the XB1 and PS4 from 2013.
Given Nintendo's pattern of announcing new systems, I wouldn't expect the NX until around 2017.

AzaK

They lost me by promising us the moon but delivering a steaming pile of shit that was Wii U. It was overpriced, lacking in content, piss weak and third party support even worse than Wii.

Then they marched on, holding up the finger to everyone, consumers included, and found themselves having to market a paperweight when the rest of the industry and its customers moved on and enjoyed modern gaming systems.

Yes they make the odd great game but that's not enough for me anymore.

I Am not sure they could get me back because it would require so many things to change. Specs, third parties, modern features.

Ladekabel

I was lost me the Wii days. Not because of the waggle but because after buying my 360 I didn't want to look at no HD games on my TV. But after a few years I was found again. Nothing on the other consoles could scratch the itch Nintendo did so I bought a Wii U. OffTV-Play is amazing, Nintendo's efforts feel like seeing HD for the first time again and I don't have to say anything about the game quality.

Now my 3DS and Wii U are my most and third most played systems. My PS4 is codenamed "Mario Kart voice chat".

They never lost me.
They are sometimes annoying in their politics and decisions, but their commitment to quality and creativity is unmatched. Gaming would be much less fun without them.

Crema

I own a Wii U but there's no way I'm spending money on dedicated hardware ever again.

I'll look into their mobile games though if they're any good.

Felensis

Banned
I never left. Nintendo makes games I wanna play. 95% of the AAA industry is so boring.

This. Event though I have a PS4 and love it, I mainly play Wii U/3DS. The games are so charming, polished and of general high quality. I don't have that much time to play beside RL so even with the 'lack' of games on Wii U and 3DS I'm more than busy for the foreseeable future.

Anyway in regards of your questions:

- Unified account system (apparently gets fixed by DeNA)
- No region lock (Iwata recently said they're positive about changing it on NX, but not 3DS/Wii U)

More than anything else: make more 'core' games/franchises which the longtime fans love/want (i.e. in the style of Super Mario 64, F-Zero, Metroid, Mother 3 etc. pp.)

This is mostly geared to those that jumped Nintendo's ship at the start of the Wii era,

Boy have you all missed out on the best games in the last 10 years.

Let get one thing straight here, some if not, THE best games to grace ANY console are on the Nintenbo systems and that still holds true right now.

EDIT - When it comes to Amiibo's though, Nintendo can suck my dick and choke on it as far as I'm concerned. I'll be selling what I have and going PC gaming.

Sinfamy

I asked Nintendo for a faster horse and they gave me a unicycle.

If Nintendo makes a simple and powerful enough home console like the PS4 which does nothing but play games and includes a perfect controller I'll buy it.

They also have to improve their network and account system.

I don't want gimmicks.
If they announce an open world 3D Pokemon adventure game, it would be day -0.

I loved the Wii, but they lost me with the Wii U (it's sitting on my shelf collecting dust since a year).

Things they could do to regain my trust:

Their next Console should:

* not be called WII anything
* release with a Zelda
* do a proper 3D Mario (Galaxy ambitious)
* cost of 250 Euro or even less, not 350. These days, a Nintendo console is a fun second console, and should cost appropriately.
* try to get at least basic 3rd party support, like the Gamecube had.
* end the controller madness. Include a new controller, and that's it.

Cipherr

Good games is all that matters to me. If I stop messing with you, its because of a lack of them. I go whichever way the good games blow man. So yeah. I'm currently really loving MK8 though with that latest DLC patch, so, Im not "away" from them at all currently.

Neoxon

I loved the Wii, but they lost me with the Wii U (it's sitting on my shelf collecting dust since a year).

Things they could do to regain my trust:

Their next Console should:

* not be called WII anything
* release with a Zelda
* do a proper 3D Mario (Galaxy ambitious)
* cost of 250 Euro or even less, not 350. These days, a Nintendo console is a fun second console, and should cost appropriately.
* try to get at least basic 3rd party support, like the Gamecube had.
* end the controller madness. Include a new controller, and that's it.
Since the next Zelda game is coming to the Wii U next year & the next console is likely coming in 2017, the only way it's gonna launch with Zelda is if it's a remaster.

I asked Nintendo for a faster horse and they gave me a unicycle.

If Nintendo makes a simple and powerful enough home console like the PS4 which does nothing but play games and includes a perfect controller I'll buy it.

They also have to improve their network and account system.

I don't want gimmicks.
If they announce an open world 3D Pokemon adventure game, it would be day -0.
Game Freak doesn't want to make a Pokémon game for consoles, let alone an open world one, & Nintendo can't do much about it. The closest you'll get are the new 3D Pokémon games on the 3DS.

This is mostly geared to those that jumped Nintendo's ship at the start of the Wii era, but anyone is more than welcome to answer, obviously.

We're all familiar with Nintendo's drastic change in direction during the Wii era. Once they tasted that Blue Ocean, they ran with it full speed ahead, but a lot of gamers out there, some who have been with Nintendo since the beginning, felt cheated, or let down. Nintendo seemed more intent on making games that would appeal to a broader audience, which led them to forget about their core consumer.

More recently, Nintendo has seemingly started to understand that the Blue Ocean strategies of yore are not what made them popular, and are not going to make them money. We've seen them dish out a lot of fan service left and right, and it seems like it's going to continue this way.

There's still a lot to be fixed, more notably, their 3rd party relationships. So, my question to you lot is, what did Nintendo do to lose you, and what can they do that would bring you back?
They never lost me. But they need a more powerful hardware next time, so that 3rd party publisher won't ignore them again. The Sony/Nintendo combo always worked for me. Perfect combination! The way to go.

cireza

I want more Third Party games and exclusives.

Better quality screens, batteries and materials for their consoles too.

Standard controller should be the main type of controller, and gamepad/wiimote accessories. Not the other way round.

I don't care about the power of their systems. Wii U has good enough graphics for me.

geordiemp

Not many genuine Wii owners that left Nintendo during Wii answering the OP....

I had Wii in 2006, my only console, and I had never used a twin stick controller.....but I still left in 2009 to Ps3 and then 2010 XB360 and not been back.

I loved Excite truck, RE4, Zelda TP at the time (Smash and Kart were not for me). Even Red steel was fun...

Why did I leave ?

I remember years of listening to Reggie announcements and so little exciting stuff, so many good looking game son Ps3 and Xb360 it was hard to ignore the absolute barrage of games to be played.

once I got used to twin sticks on Ps3 and XB360, I never looked back and Wii went in the closet. They were just better games console imo

Companies don't win or loose consumers really, if they make a 'better; more appealing product it will sell.

Whats wrong with the WiiU in my opinion

- How many controllers ? Getting silly
- Low res / graphics. I have 4 K Tv's Dammit its 2015. I still see PAL and NTSC comments and shake my head.
- Needs Good party and online coop
- Its 2015, region locking LOL
- Nintendo like their profits too much in hardware and software...
- Its OK to release plastic toys....Lock content behind them and no way....that can get lost.
- I only play platformers or 2D retro type games if they are free (Ps+ / Gold) and if I am in the mood - really these to me are filler games. Maybe a year since I played a game in 2D....

Nintendo are stuck in the last decade and need to modernise to be relevant In the console space beyond their hardcore.

DSix

Banned
Yes. Maybe.

If they want to surprise us and freshen their output, they should do it in software, not by making shitty hardware "surprises". Make tons of fresh AAA IPs like Splatoon. I wont buy a new console for yet another Mario, even less for Mario with awful "new" controls strapped on it (I'm still pissed at how the pointer and waggle were in Galaxy).

Nintendo games of late have been good in spite of the hardware, those would have been just as good on better designed "traditional" consoles.
I buy games for the games themselves, so your console better accommodate that the best way possible instead of trying to wow moms with novelty gimmicks.

Region free, better online, drop the Miis(they're kiddy looking), Star Fox and Metroid, and bring the New 3DS stateside. It's bad enough that a lot of casuals still have their Wiis in their living rooms but have no idea what the Wii U is.

Neoxon

Region free (Wish likely granted next gen), better online (that's where DeNA plays into things), drop the Miis(they're kiddy looking) (don't get your hopes up, especially now that they're their own playable characters in Smash), Star Fox and Metroid (Star Fox is happening & Metroid is likely going to happen pretty soon), and bring the New 3DS stateside (it was approved by the FCC, so maybe).

No games like GTA or Skyrim on their consoles was also another death nail with the casuals. The new Zelda was going to be the answer to that I assume? Unfortunately, it was delayed to 2016 which probably means they are pulling a TP.

Ushay

HD+ Specs
Good controller function (Wiimote was great, as long as it works well with 3rd party too)
Zelda
Metroid
Star Fox

I guess I'm just waiting for whatever the new console looks and plays like, but yes I am definitely tuned in and interested.

Pooya

I only play Zelda and Fire Emblem from their properties now, 3DS has been good for that but not sure if I buy another handheld system again, it's pretty pointless in my age and life style. Fire Emblem in particular, I think it will make it to mobile now, it fits very well, if that happens I play it there.

Now for home console, I'm very interested in the new Zelda, I will be sure to get a WiiU when that lands, hopefully a lot cheaper by then, I'm not so sure about future after that though. Nintendo can't keep a platform alive on their own and handful of releases every year isn't going to cut it no matter how good they are. I simply don't play platformers and that reduces the game I could choose by a lot on the platform. You need variety and quantity too. I don't think they can do anything about it at this point. They clearly don't target people like me so it could work out fine for them and their audience, no need to try and win everyone back anyway.

I know Star Fox is happening, I'm just saying don't release Star Fox on the U and ignore it for another 10+ years. It's gonna sell like crap anyway since it will be on the U. Which is a guarantee we won't see our galactic Fox until 2028 because Nintendo will say "We just released it and it didn't reach our sales expectations." Well of course it sold like crap because you guys released it on a dead console! I still can't believe they didn't release a Star Fox game on the Wii. It could've done very well with the Wii mote.

Neoxon

I only play Zelda and Fire Emblem from their properties now, 3DS has been good for that but not sure if I buy another handheld system again, it's pretty pointless in my age and life style. Fire Emblem in particular, I think it will make it to mobile now, it fits very well, if that happens I play it there.

Now for home console, I'm very interested in the new Zelda, I will be sure to get a WiiU when that lands, hopefully a lot cheaper by then, I'm not so sure about future after that though. Nintendo can't keep a platform alive on their own and handful of releases every year isn't going to cut it no matter how good they are. I simply don't play platformers and that reduces the game I could choose by a lot on the platform. You need variety and quantity too. I don't think they can do anything about it at this point. They clearly don't target people like me so it could work out fine for them and their audience, no need to try and win everyone back anyway.
I think this is why they're going for the "two systems, one OS" idea that Iwata brought up a while back, so both systems can share 90% of their games library. Nintendo likely realized that the third parties are long gone & likely aren't coming back, so they need to be able to keep their systems afloat on their own. Making the console & portable like brothers in terms of architecture can help with that.

I mean, I'll probably find some way to play Nintendo as long as their games are good. It's getting increasingly frustrating seeing at how far behind they are in terms of things like graphical capabilities, and online connectivity. There's so much for them to improve on, and I know I'm going to wait and see whether or not they're worth investing in next time.

MrBadger

So long as they keep putting out good, polished games, they'll never lose me. I mean, yeah, some of their policies are annoying and I can see why the Angry Joes of the world are swearing vendettas against them, but I can look past that so long as they still make games I want.

A big reason why I don't bother with them is because their software rarely drops in price here in the UK, which stifles any risk-taking on my part when purchasing a game I'm not sure I'd like. They lure you in with the cheap hardware, but then ask that you pay £35 upwards for games that have been out for years. So that's a big turn off.

I also have little fondness or nostalgia for Nintendo series', despite playing the likes of Mario All-Stars, Star Fox, Donkey Kong Country, etc. in my formative years of gaming. There's a stench of familiarity with the company as they release a lot of Mario games year in year out, a lot of Mario spin-offs and are more dependant on their classic franchises than I care for, whereas any new IP they create is typically done so with a small budget behind it, so I'd like to see them branch out more and diversify. Splatoon is the sort of thing that turns my eye.

And the lack of a proper account system in this day and age is laughable. They're behind the times in general with online functionality. I sold my 3DS the year before last and had to delete a couple of digital games I owned in the process, losing those purchases forever. Wasn't pleased about that.

So if they want to win me back: price-cuts on software like every other publisher does, more new IP with a budget behind it, and a proper account system. Going region-free would be nice too.

piccolo85

The have never lost me, but they are in the process of loosing me...

By beeing seemingly incapable to introduce a unified account system!
By the garbage that is amiibo!

For me the most important thing Nintendo would have to do is to Introduce a proper unified account system with all virtual console games carrying over to the next system. So I would feel comfortabe to purchase them without having to purchase them again and again.

The absolute bombshell would be if the NXT, whatever that may be, would offer full backwards compatibility not by emulation but in hardware. Nintendo has all the chip designs still in ther archives it would be quite easy, and not to expensive I guess, to design an SOC wich offers 100% compatibility in hardware for their classic systems NES, SNES, N64 and maybe Gamecube. It would spare Nintendo the work of optimising their emulators for every single game and they could just integrate this design in all their consoles and handhelds going forward. They could just (licensing issues aside) release the whole library. They even could offer USB cartridge accesories where you could plug in your old games and play them like this. Hell they could even re-release some cardridges of old, hard to come by classics. To compliment all this re-release the old controllers as a wireless version. Nintendo fans would weep with joy, I know I would...

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I was a Sega fan growing up, so they arguably never had me to begin with. The Wii U hasn't interested me because of the steep price for ancient hardware combined with the lack of games that have what I would consider real meat on their bones. Back in the N64 and GCN days, I could be sure of roughly one game worth playing per quarter from Nintendo. Even if third party support dried up, as it largely did in the latter half of the GCN's life, Nintendo's own releases were always worth playing.

In the Wii era, this stopped being the case, as they'd release games I didn't care about like Wii Music or Wii Fit without also releasing a more core game alongside it. While there were numerous games on the Wii that fit my preferences (Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Xenoblade, Metroid Prime 3, etc.), there weren't enough in comparison to their output in the N64 and GCN generations. At this point, I simply don't trust them to release enough software of interest to make a Wii U purchase worthwhile at this point. I will get one eventually, and I have several Wii U games sitting on the shelf waiting for that day, but that day has not yet come, and I don't see it on the horizon, either.

terrier

i doubt it. I was never a fan of their IPs, only enjoyed Mario Kart and Advance Wars, and 2D metroid.....and (home console) MK seems to follow a path i do not like very much and AW and metroid are missing. I may buy another portable in the future though, but home console? no way. Unless they release a system that can compete with Sony or MS: similar specs, comparable online services and equiparable price. Then i could consider it.

And now this amiibo thing i don't really understand, but if it is what i think, count me out.

cireza

How I would love to see ambitious titles of something else than Mario games. They have series that would be so good in HD. Metroid, Fire Emblem, Golden Sun, F-Zero etc... They could totally make those big games, just as ambitious as the next Zelda, and it would totally rock.

Swass

I don't think so, they seem to stray further and further away from my interests. I think they have gone too far down the Amiibo and mobile rabbit hole to turn back. And the hardware gimmicks don't seem to be slowing down, though maybe the Wii U taught them a lesson.. but I doubt it.

The only way they could win me back is if they got their network right with an achievement/trophy system, unified accounts, etc. And the NX was a normal machine that was more powerful than the PS4 and was a hybrid portable/home console with 100% 3rd party support. I see none of these things happening so as I said above, I think I'm over Nintendo, and I'm fine with that.

I was disillusioned with Nintendo during Wii/DS era, but they completely won me back with the Wii U/3DS. Their first-party content is on another level to last gen, and both current Nintendo consoles seem to cater more to traditional gaming than gimmick-focussed 'experiences'.

pswii60

Aside from making a system with third party support again, they also need to drastically improve their first party offerings.

Everything has felt very low-budget and a little 'filler' on Wii U. Sure, the games are good and polished (and Yoshi's Yarn looks beautiful), but they're not on the scale of games like Super Mario Galaxy or Metroid Prime. And we're still going to be awaiting a Zelda game in to 2016.

The lost me when the PSOne came out and I have not touched a Nintendo system since then; apart from playing Mario Sunshine on my cousin's GameCube – which I loved!

Otherwise I need a unified accounts system, a console with no gimmicky 'features' and get rid of the damn Gamepad; oh and also their games need to drop in price. No way in hell am I paying £35-40 for any game let alone for Mario 3D World.

Taker666

A big reason why I don't bother with them is because their software rarely drops in price here in the UK, which stifles any risk-taking on my part when purchasing a game I'm not sure I'd like. They lure you in with the cheap hardware, but then ask that you pay £35 upwards for games that have been out for years. So that's a big turn off.

That's no bad thing IMO...as it also means it holds its value if you sell it on.
You might have to pay £40 for Mario 3D World or Windwaker..but you can get £30 back if you resell on ebay.

Top Bottom