• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can we all agree now that both Deep Down and Panta Rhei are dead?

The title says it all.

After that Neo rumor a few months back that mentioned Deep Down, people were holding out their last bit of hopes to see the title at either PS4 Pro meeting or Sony's pre-TGS presser.

With both of those events gone without any mention of Deep Down, and Capcom's TGS schedule having no room left for a surprise Deep Down re-reveal, I wonder, can we all agree now that both Deep Down and Panta Rhei engine are dead?

I don't know what Panta Rhei is, so I'd say it was never even alive.

Edit: And I had to Google 'Deep Down'. I remember the title, but couldn't put a face to it. Now that I have, yeah sure, it's dead too.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I mean even if they weren't, you have to wonder if Capcom could even afford to develop them.

I don't know what Panta Rhei is, so I'd say it was never even alive.
Was supposed to be Capcom's swan song engine for this gen, with 1080p and 60fps as a focus....with these visuals:
9C5156F71FFCF82F87E6B8C37FC5CF5CEA8ED402

fire.gif

This game was supposed to be FTP as well. Like, no way this game was feasible.

If I was to make a purely numerical comparison between the number of threads asking about Deep Down / Panta Rhei being dead, and the total number of unique minutes of video of Deep Down / Panta Rhei that exists on the internet, I would have to say the number of threads is higher.

This meaningless observation brought to you by the letter "Capcom".

Yeah, snarkasm aside, I'm pretty sure the game and the engine are both long dead.

I'm going to say alive, at this point if it was dead they would've announced it. The hype completely died down since its first showing.

What's dead may never die.

That's why Capcom should instead focus on developing Dragon's Dogma 2 or a Monster Hunter game with that engine, but I feel I'm just dreaming...

MUnited83

For you.
The engine is dead and won't be used for anything else, but i think there's a (very small) chance that the game will resurface.

It's real and it's being shown alongside Devil May Cry 5 at Sony's pre-TGS press conference being held on Tuesday, September 13th.

...wait.....that already happened? And it wasn't shown?

Well, this is awkward.

Hey GAF, stop believing in Capcom

Mike Golf

What has Capcom even put out on PS4 and XB1 that's new this gen? We got SFV....and isn't that it? Otherwise I can only recall ports of DMC4/DmC and RE4/RE6 along with the release of the MM collection on multiple platforms.

It's sad too considering that Phanta Rei was supposed to be their next (current gen) engine to power their releases and instead we've gotten no games on it, or any indication of its status, and have seen the only new game come out with a third party engine. RE7 is looking good but if I recall correctly aren't they using a new engine to power it?

It's dead. Maybe it's just because I never paid toooo close attention to it, but it really felt like the game had a lot of concepts going for it but they never seemed to know what to do with them. I kept forgetting the game existed after every time they showed it.

The Dragon's Dogma/DMC team were the guys who were making this, right? What else would they be working on?

Itsuno claims he has a "new project" but most people think that's DMC related (since there is a lot of evidence/hints that there's a new DMC something going on).

There's also Dragon's Dogma Online which just got an expansion. MH Freedom 2 is in the works, plus Stories, Capcom are continuing to support SFV, Vancouver is becoming the Dead Rising farm, there's probably an Ace Attorney or two down the line, RE7 and Re2make...

I don't think there's any room for it anywhere.

What has Capcom even put out on PS4 and XB1 that's new this gen? We got SFV....and isn't that it? Otherwise I can only recall ports of DMC4/DmC and RE4/RE6 along with the release of the MM collection on multiple platforms.

It's sad too considering that Phanta Rei was supposed to be their next (current gen) engine to power their releases and instead we've gotten no games on it, or any indication of its status, and have seen the only new game come out with a third party engine. RE7 is looking good but if I recall correctly aren't they using a new engine to power it?

Dead Rising 3 and 4.

I still "WANT" to believe that DMC5 runs on this and not UE4 or a currentgen revision of MT Framework ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That said, let's wait for the word them.

RE Engine, which has similar goals as Panta Rei while shooting for VR as well. Just not as visually impressive due to various elements as its predecessor.

Not with current Capcom management.

This is what puts it in perspective. If two Mega Man games get cancelled, Ace Attorney is digital-only and gets non-Phoenix games ignored in the west, and Street Fighter V couldn't have launched in 2016 without Sony's funding, there's no way Capcom will continue to dump money into Deep Down when people never really seemed to be that interested on a grand scale in the first place.

Sesha

Almost. I'll call Deep Down dead if it's a no show at PSX, and Panta Rhei if DMC5 isn't running on it.

The Dragon's Dogma/DMC team were the guys who were making this, right? What else would they be working on?

Nah, different team altogether. The last thing the DMC director worked on was DMC4 Special Edition. However 4SE didn't include the entire DMC4 team. The last some worked on were Dragon's Dogma and RE6, and a few were part of Itsuno's DmC supervision team.

Revelations 2, Umbrella Corps, SFV, Dead Rising 3, Sengoku Basara 4 Sumeragi, Dragon's Dogma Online. Upcoming include RE7, RE2 Remake, Dead Rising 4, Sengoku Basara: Sanada Yukimura-den. That's about it, excluding handheld titles and ports.

RE7 is on the RE Engine, which is apparently also their dedicated VR engine.

I still "WANT" to believe that DMC5 runs on this and not UE4 or a currentgen revision of MT Framework ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That said, let's wait for the word them.

UE4 is a great engine. Super customizable too. Whatever fancy lighting tech they've made for Panta Rhei they can possibly just graft onto UE4. Why shouldn't DMC5 run on it?

gatti-man

I wonder if capcom overshot next gen hardware like early assassins creed unity did. But overshot it so far that it wasn't even useable and capcom shelved it.

Top Bottom