• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can we all agree now that both Deep Down and Panta Rhei are dead?

Kinyou

aKeIg4N.gif

Astral Dog

Almost. I'll call Deep Down dead if it's a no show at PSX, and Panta Rhei if DMC5 isn't running on it.

Nah, different team altogether. The last thing the DMC director worked on was DMC4 Special Edition. However 4SE didn't include the entire DMC4 team. The last some worked on were Dragon's Dogma and RE6, and a few were part of Itsuno's DmC supervision team.

Revelations 2, Umbrella Corps, SFV, Dead Rising 3, Sengoku Basara 4 Sumeragi, Dragon's Dogma Online. Upcoming include RE7, RE2 Remake, Dead Rising 4, Sengoku Basara: Sanada Yukimura-den. That's about it, excluding handheld titles and ports.

RE7 is on the RE Engine, which is apparently also their dedicated VR engine.

UE4 is a great engine. Super customizable too. Whatever fancy lighting tech they've made for Panta Rhei they can possibly just graft onto UE4. Why shouldn't DMC5 run on it?
Well because Phanta Rei was supossed to be the successor to MT Framework, and that engine got an excellent reputation with gamers, while UE3 was not the best choice in many cases.

Thats no longer the case, of course but i understand why that perception could be still around

Mike Golf

Dead Rising 3 and 4.

Good point, forgot about Dead Rising 3. That still only makes 2 as of this thread post, but I suppose if if RE7 and DR4 end up being good they can stand as a testament to quality over quantity.

EDIT: Ok and Umbrella Corp, so 3. Should have done a search first apparently....., but with how poor that turned out, along with DR3's poor performance and IQ coupled with SFV's lackluster offering of content on launch they're definitely not looking hot in my book. Really hoping they bring it home with RE7 and a DMC5 in the vein of 3 would be nice too.

I'm holding out hope.
I think Deep Down will be reintroduced (possibly with a new name) since Capcom had gone back to the drawing board on some of its elements, then had COG get sidetracked by Dragon's Dogma Online.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Deep Down's initial reveal reminded me of those BS trailers I saw early in the PS3's life.

Am I wrong or deep down was playable at one conference some time ago?

It did. If I'm not mistaken it's TGS 2014. You can listen to 8-4 podcast around that time for an impression. The demo sounded very cool. It controlled very well but the best thing was the damage recognition on enemies. Basically, you can inflict damage on any part of enemy and it will react differently.

Okay. Then let me ask this question from the people who are mentioning FFXV, TLG and Nioh.

Do you guys honestly believe that current Capcom is even capable (both financially and talent wise) of pulling something similar with Deep Down? Or more importantly, will it even be worth it?

I mean with TLG and FFXV they had the pedigree and people were already interested in the titles. But that doesn't seem to be the case with Deep Down.

DigSCCP

It did. If I'm not mistaken it's TGS 2014. You can listen to 8-4 podcast around that time for an impression. The demo sounded very cool. It controlled very well but the best thing was the damage recognition on enemies. Basically, you can inflict damage on any part of enemy and it will react differently.

So what the hell happened ? lol
I mean if they had a playable demo at least the engine was in some way already running at a PS4...

Mentok

Banned
tumblr_m7ixmdxISg1qdmk7to4_400.gif

Probably being completely re-worked.

Or it's now DD with these graphics....or MonHun....lol *puts on tinfoil hat*

Neonep

My whole thing is I'm not surprised we haven't seen anything about it. Ono is one of the producers and you know damn well he doesn't have time given SFV. In 2 years we see Deep Down get reintroduced as Monster Hunter and it will maintain its status as a PS4 exclusive and Sony will still have its hands on it.

Amani

I think there's a smidgen of a chance for Deep Down. Certainly won't be FTP.
Phanta Rei's dead as fuck tho.

394Qm3p.gif

i-Jest

Well it's not like Deep Downs been on my radar continuously.

My impression is it's on Capcom's back burner until they have a feasible model to fund the game, during development and post release. Until then, the company has other projects underway.

I just pray they don't fuck up the DMC name AGAIN. I DO NOT want to see the fanbase tare itself apart, burn itself down, and implode over another game.

Okay. Then let me ask this question from the people who are mentioning FFXV, TLG and Nioh.

Do you guys honestly believe that current Capcom is even capable (both financially and talent wise) of pulling something similar with Deep Down? Or more importantly, will it even be worth it?

I mean with TLG and FFXV they had the pedigree and people were already interested in the titles. But that doesn't seem to be the case with Deep Down.

Yeah, comparing Deep Down to those games is just naah. They're nowhere near the same league, and never have been.

If anything, Deep Down is Eight Days.

mrpeabody

"We're a developer, we should write our own engine" has been a terrible idea for at least two generations. It's not just the huge waste of resources; they're so BAD at it.

nded

"We're a developer, we should write our own engine" has been a terrible idea for at least two generations. It's not just the huge waste of resources; they're so BAD at it.
MT Framework was pretty good. That's probably why people didn't immediately write off Panta Rhei when Capcom announced it.

Top Bottom