• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can we all agree now that both Deep Down and Panta Rhei are dead?

Branduil

Deep Down has to be the new king of impossible new console bullshots. A game with impossible graphics and gameplay that will never actually exist.

Jingo

9C5156F71FFCF82F87E6B8C37FC5CF5CEA8ED402

You wont get graphics like this even in the pro, what a decieving thing it was showing this at 2013 for the actual ps4.

Personally, I don't think this will ever see the light of day, and after the last showing it got, and the F2P revelation, I don't care. It never sounded great to me.

I think there could be a touch of Fable Legends about this. They were trying to build a F2P game with the graphics and production quality of a full-priced game, and its probably proved to be hugely expensive and difficult to support with the appropriate volume of content.

It's still cute people believed that:

A) Deep Down was ever a real game and that was gameplay footage
B) The game would ever look anything like that if it did come out

Obvious BS from day 1.

Well they showed pretty lengthy gameplay demos at subsequent events, so I don't think it's a stretch to believe it was an actual videogame in development.

The reveal trailer was bullshit though, obviously.

You wont get graphics like this even in the pro, what a decieving thing it was showing this at 2013 for the actual ps4.

Oh please. There's nothing unbelievable about those visuals. Have you seen the gameplay demos? We've had better looking games come out this generation. The only thing it has going for it is the lighting.

At this point what is more dead...Deep Down or Agent?

If Agent gets re-revealed then for all intends and purposes it'll be a new game to many. Plus it's Rockstar. It at least has the potential to someday be revisited and have something going for it, even if I don't know it will.

If Deep Down ever comes out I think most people will be "finally" at most and be totally apathetic at worst. Even if the game does actually get released, I can't see it doing well. Will that really be worth it?

Guymelef

You would, because it was running at 720p.
Talking about the tech demo while you are showing a gif from a gameplay video...

usually when development has 100% flatlined there's no reason to make it a skeleton in the closet.

capcom in particular has a history announcing canned titles as cancelled

That logic doesn't apply to Capcom unless they are still working on those DMC and DmC movies and (as Jaw mentioned) the DMC & RE PSP games.

rackham

Banned
I remember being excited when they said it was dystopian future but then they said something weird like it was a dream or something that made it sound stupid

nOoblet16

That is from a gameplay demo running on PS4.

AFAIK it was running at 720P/60FPS...nothing unusual about those visuals at that resolution and in a confined area like that.

i remember the days when we had the same thread about The Last Guardian or Final Fantasy Versus :)

There are way more games that mysteriously vanished than just those two.

Those two games re-emerging after a long amount of time are the exception, not the norm. Especially with modern Capcom who've cancelled games for far less.

EDIT: Also FF Versus isn't the best example to compare to this. Versus was never 100% in development or had a publicly playable build at any point. It got repurposed in order to salvage the project and because starting an FFXV project from scratch would have been an unfeasible idea at the time.

This game and its engine WERE in development, were playable at TGS, and that development doesn't seem to have gone well since Capcom have totally jumped ship from its engine.

Square Enix also jumped ship from Luminous but the main game they were working on with it (XIII) managed to come out in approximately the length of time since we first saw Deep Down, and didn't mysteriously vanish a year and a half after E3 2006.

I think if this doesn't show up at PSX next month it's well and truly deceased. Shame, as I really liked the idea and the visuals were fantastic (even if that first trailer was total bullshottery).

orioto

Good Art™
I'm here to see the hilarous ballet of guys posting ps4 gameplay pics and saying it was never possible on ps4

I wouldn't be surprised if this resurfaces in a few years. They have probably abandoned the ftp model and reworking it into capcom souls game.

At least that's what I hope lol.

Deep down looked pretty good, it's a shame it's probably not going to happen. Didn't they say a while back it was still being worked on or something like that?

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
SFV and Dead Rising 4 are Unreal Engine, RE7 is "RE Engine" and Umbrella Corps was Unity. Poor Panta Rhei....a new MT Framework like thing would've helped Capcom tremendously. Can't imagine the cost of that failed project.

Carn82

Ex dev friend told me it was dead or at least permanently on hold over 15 months ago, things might have changed (I would guess they would try to salvage the technology) but I wouldn't bet on it being alive at the moment.

Whompa02

You underestimate rendering. When you're in a cave and you only have a little bit to render, you can make the models pretty high quality.

Look at most of the Deep Down videos that were released. The game had at most around 4 monsters on screen, with deceptively simple backgrounds.

The Order 1886 looked great for what it was and that has way more going on.

I'm here to see the hilarous ballet of guys posting ps4 gameplay pics and saying it was never possible on ps4

I for one find it fishy that 87% of GAF hates The Order, and yet seemingly 97% have never played it. Because it beats the pants off these supposedly impossible visuals.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Given what we know about the console and how it struggles with intensive particle effects you really think this was possible at 1080/60fps with four player co-op?
MJWLeJZ.gif

Given what we know about the console and how it struggles with intensive particle effects you really think this was possible at 1080/60fps with four player co-op?
MJWLeJZ.gif

Wait... They were suggesting you could do split screen on this? That's ludicrous.

I remember people here suggesting that DD graphics would be the norm for games outside of the launch window.

Zomba13

Wait... They were suggesting you could do split screen on this? That's ludicrous.

I remember people here suggesting that DD graphics would be the norm for games outside of the launch window.

I think that is just showing the four points of view in a video, not showing split screen. Like, it's showing this is what each player is looking at at this point in time.

Ryuuga

Banned
MJWLeJZ.gif

Which has absolutely zero to do with whether it was possible or not. What you're posting was playable at TGS. Whether it would run at your suggested fidelity now is an entirely different debate.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
No wonder Capcom is only doing small budget games and remasters by now. They must have sunk a fortune in that fucking engine/game.

Hope they learned their lesson from this.

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
In all honesty, I've always seen them as tech demos and did not put any faith in seeing them as finalized products. Here's hoping we see these in action sometime in the future.

Orayn

I'm not entirely ready to say that. Deep Down undoubtedly has a troubled development, but its status as a service-game still makes it something that fits well with Capcom's current strategy. It's probably been rebooted internally multiple times now, but we could still see it at some point.

Sesha

No wonder Capcom is only doing small budget games and remasters by now. They must have sunk a fortune in that fucking engine/game.

Hope they learned their lesson from this.

Panta Rhei and Deep Down probably helped, but they suffered a major blow thanks to the quintuple whammy of Dragon's Dogma, SFxT, RE6, DmC, and Lost Planet 3 all underperforming.

For what purpose capcom wants a current gen engine, they barely release new games

They want a current gen engine to develop current gen games. MT Framework is only being used for last gen ports and smaller titles. While they haven't released many current console titles that aren't also cross gen, they have DR3 and SFV, and are releasing DR4 and RE7 in two months, with RE2 Remake and likely DMC5 in development.

They have one current gen engine now with the RE Engine, which is based on MT Framework and probably borrowed some tech from Panta Rhei.

Top Bottom