• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can we all agree now that both Deep Down and Panta Rhei are dead?

Evo X

I hope so. Fuck Capcom's deceitful bullshit.

Seeing Deep Down reveal in 2013 set my expectations sky high for the PS4 and this gen in terms of visuals and animations. Apart from a few standout titles, it's mostly led to disappointment.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
MT Framework was pretty good. That's probably why people didn't immediately write off Panta Rhei when Capcom announced it.

And then Panty Raid took forever, to where people questioned why Capcom didn't just use MT Frameworks forever.

I mean, hell... DMC4:SE still looks good for a nearly decade old engine. The game was (mostly) optimized on PC, so it isn't like the engine couldn't be used for some decent titles for this generation if they put in the work on redoing lightening and the like.

What's dead may never die.

That's why Capcom should instead focus on developing Dragon's Dogma 2 or a Monster Hunter game with that engine, but I feel I'm just dreaming...

I'd be totally satisfied with a DD2 built in MT Framework. But I still don't think that will happen unless Sony or MS stump up the cash to fund it.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Vaporware...

Makelovenotwarcraftthatwhichhasnolife.jpg

Deep Down is a kind of game I probably wouldn't normally play, but for the visuals alone I would have loved to at least try it. I hope it's still alive.

Ein Bear

MT Framework pissed over all other engines last generation. It delivered so many beautiful, smoothly running games across multiple platforms.

It's a real shame to see Capcom struggle so much this time around, when they really defined 'next gen' in the early years of the PS360 generation for me.

Kind of sad that Deep Down was shown and hyped early on for a few shows but yes now seems dead.

Actually kind of sad what happened to Capcom really.

I guess I'll take this moment to finally ask: Was it ever even confirmed that this demo was actual gameplay and not a cutscene? I always assumed it was the latter, but everyone was getting hyped as if it was the former.

"In-engine footage."

-

I wish Deep Down is real and in development.

It's still cute people believed that:

A) Deep Down was ever a real game and that was gameplay footage
B) The game would ever look anything like that if it did come out

Obvious BS from day 1.

I guess I'll take this moment to finally ask: Was it ever even confirmed that this demo was actual gameplay and not a cutscene? I always assumed it was the latter, but everyone was getting hyped as if it was the former.

Does that really even need to be asked at this point? Of course it was not gameplay. Nothing released so far this gen has come close to those visuals.

Ducktail

This talk about the engine actually made me wonder:

What relevant AAA game has Capcom released this gen?

I can only think of Street Fighter 5... and we all know how problematic that was, and it's using UE4.

It was dead as soon as Capcom moved to other engines and have been releasing all types of games on them. I think they don't use their own engines anymore?

And yeah, fuck them; they flat out lied with that vaporware bullshit. And the game along with that panties engine are dead. Even if the title or setting is re-used for a later game (like Nioh), it would be a different game with different tech.

After that Neo rumor

I hate this. Rumors need reasons. Just because a new, more powerful, system is announce, someone pulls a 'rumor' out of their ass because in their heads it makes sense- and also they are annoying since they themselves make this shit up and say 'unnamed source'. Oooh, the intelligence network is so amazing!

THEaaron

It's still cute people believed that:

A) Deep Down was ever a real game and that was gameplay footage
B) The game would ever look anything like that if it did come out

Obvious BS from day 1.

It's cute that people with the same non-existing knowledge about something represent the other side of the coin and thinking they are right.

There were some gameplay videos btw.

Riposte

It seems the failure to get anything out of this engine has derailed Capcom quite a bit and put them into a similar spot which Square-Enix found themselves last gen. It's a damn shame.

the fuck is a panta rhai

All I could think about is

gmdzl6y.jpg

hop off the bus with some Panta Rhei~

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heraclitus#Panta_rhei.2C_.22everything_flows.22

Everything flows. One of the cooler phases said by one of the cooler philosophers (especially Pre-Socratic), Heraclitus. A very forward thinking understanding of the universe, as an ever-changing system where nothing is static, arguably one of the earliest forms of "quantum" thought or at least a significant precursor to it.

Atomski

It was supposed to be f2p right? No way that was in game just based on that.

I find it hard to believe they'd sink so much into creating this vertical slice and an entirely new, quite impressive looking engine, without any return on that investment.

Jawmuncher

Deep Down could be alive. BUT I think phanta rhei is dead. Capcom doesn't really do multiple in-house engines and we got RE engine now.

Both things if they are cancelled will just be forgotten. Much like how capcom never officially cancelled Devil may cry or resident evil for psp
I find it hard to believe they'd sink so much into creating this vertical slice and an entirely new, quite impressive looking engine, without any return on that investment.
It's apparently not uncommon, MS spent 70 million of Fable legends and apparently have no plans to use any of it.

gafneo

Banned
Actually, I think Deep Down now has a chance to come out since the Souls games are put on hold. Maybe Capcom can give it a run for its money. If they want to make it standout more, they could turn it into a Ghost and Goblins game.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Just to be clear, those of you who are drive-by posting saying 'it was never real and there was never any gameplay footage' really need to search youtube or google before making broad claims like this, as you are already eating crow because the poster above has easily linked a youtube video showing actual gameplay. There was additional gameplay shown the year after that clip as well, which is where this gif came from:

9C5156F71FFCF82F87E6B8C37FC5CF5CEA8ED402

At this point it could either be cancelled/dead as the OP is questioning, or it is in deep development, but the engine and game do actually exist.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
This talk about the engine actually made me wonder:

What relevant AAA game has Capcom released this gen?

I can only think of Street Fighter 5... and we all know how problematic that was, and it's using UE4.

Everyones pretty worried about them really. They went from fucking owning the start of the X360/PS3 generation with MT Framework to then being completely mismanaged by Inafune and the mysterious faceless board into losing millions on poorly advised western projects.

They seem barely able to get games out without investment from one of the big three and it seems they completely failed at making an engine for this gen so they have to license UE4.

In some ways they feel less together than Sega at this point.

this is pretty much what they released this gen. the rest were remasters/ports.

I don't know that Monster Hunter counts and while RE Rev2 was released on X1 and PS4 it definitely was not made to take advantage of those platforms.So Dead Rising 3, Dead Rising 4, Street Fighter V, Resident Evil 7, Dragon's Dogma 2 (I think this was announced, right?), and Devil May Cry 5... these are all of Capcom's games for this gen that are released or in development so far (at least that I can think of). With the exception of SFV I would imagine most of these games are running on the Panta Rhei engine, are they not?

Caffeine

I don't know that Monster Hunter counts and while RE Rev2 was released on X1 and PS4 it definitely was not made to take advantage of those platforms.So Dead Rising 3, Dead Rising 4, Street Fighter V, Resident Evil 7, Dragon's Dogma 2 (I think this was announced, right?), and Devil May Cry 5... these are all of Capcom's games for this gen that are released or in development so far (at least that I can think of). With the exception of SFV I would imagine most of these games are running on the Panta Rhei engine, are they not?

ye I forgot about dead rising 3 but ye rev 2 was cross platform game.

idk dragons dogma 2 rumor thing turned out to be a mobile app http://www.siliconera.com/2016/07/29/capcom-teases-project-palm-upcoming-smartphone-app-aimed-towards-girls/, I still think deep down was the spiritual successor. dead rising 4 is using forge engine http://wccftech.com/dead-rising-4-still-using-forge-engine-rather-ue4-mall-huge-no-cross-play-launch/

resident evil 7 is on the new resident evil engine its not based on panta rhei I assume resident evil 2 remake is on that as well. RE Engine was said that it, too, will power multiple upcoming Capcom games

Devil may cry 5 is still unknown so thats up in the air.

120v

if deep down was cancelled capcom would just say so.

it's obviously being heavily re-worked into god knows what

Kuraudo

Banned
In the next six months we're getting FFXV, The Last Guardian, and Nioh. It's now not really possible to call a title "dead" after it misses a few years' trade shows unless the publisher comes out and outright confirms the project has been cancelled.

Ducktail

this is pretty much what they released this gen. the rest were remasters/ports.

Everyones pretty worried about them really. They went from fucking owning the start of the X360/PS3 generation with MT Framework to then being completely mismanaged by Inafune and the mysterious faceless board into losing millions on poorly advised western projects.

They seem barely able to get games out without investment from one of the big three and it seems they completely failed at making an engine for this gen so they have to license UE4.

In some ways they feel less together than Sega at this point.

That's what worries me. They had such a great output last generation... now they seem to be focusing on remasters rather than on new projects. All my favourite childhood game companies are dying. It's a sad feeling.

120v

Would they really? I'm still waiting to hear more about those two DMC movies that they were working on ages ago.

usually when development has 100% flatlined there's no reason to make it a skeleton in the closet.

capcom in particular has a history announcing canned titles as cancelled

Jawmuncher

usually when development has 100% flatlined there's no reason to make it a skeleton in the closet.

capcom in particular has a history announcing titles as cancelled

They never even cancelled Resident Evil PSP and Devil May Cry psp

Top Bottom