• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can we all agree now that both Deep Down and Panta Rhei are dead?

In a year in which The Last Guardian and Final Fantasy XV release, it is hard to consider any dormant project dead.

But yeah, it's totally dead.

camac002

Wait... They were suggesting you could do split screen on this? That's ludicrous.

I remember people here suggesting that DD graphics would be the norm for games outside of the launch window.

I thought the presentation had 4 people playing in co-op and they just put up the 4 screens of each system, so not split screen on 1 console.

Rewatching the original DD reveal, the graphics don't seem that super duper awesome now. The only impressive thing to me in it is the dragon's fire breath.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I still think it'll get re-revealed at some point.

Capcom will still need a flagship product to push after RE7 comes out, and as far as I'm aware they haven't announced anything else that would fill that role, so I can see a radically re-tooled version fitting the bill nicely.

People still (after TLG and Versus XIII) don't seem to grasp how easy it is to put an internal project on the back-burner for months and even years. So long as the bulk of the staff get re-allocated to other revenue generating projects while a small core-team continues to plan and experiment, its not too burdensome.

Mega Man begs to differ.
If we're being technical he's not "dead" either. Mega man legacy collection and the new tv show which I'm sure will come with a new game just like sega and sonic boom whether the game is good tho who knows lord knows sonic boom wasn't

Given what we know about the console and how it struggles with intensive particle effects you really think this was possible at 1080/60fps with four player co-op?
MJWLeJZ.gif

GPU particles? Absolutely. Look at inFamous.

And 4 four player co-op doesn't mean much in this case. It's just one enemy.

OT though, Capcom is pretty dead atm, so yeah.

Inviusx

If memory serves me corrrectly this game was supposed to have Assassins Creed style scifi/modern day parts as well.

Sad that it never saw the light of day it looked awesome.

If memory serves me corrrectly this game was supposed to have Assassins Creed style scifi/modern day parts as well.

Sad that it never saw the light of day it looked awesome.
I think it was set in like 2037 or something like that I'm new York and you'd step on some portal and that's when the dungeon crawling comes into play it sounded like a nice premise would've liked to see it release

I remember, back when it was first announced and Capcom was in deep trouble financially, that I felt it was immensely foolish to allocate a AAA budget + a new engine budget for a F2P console exclusive.

Now, 3 years later, Capcom is still sinking financially and Deep Down still seems like a terrible idea from a business standpoint. No way are they putting that much money into a F2P AAA console exclusive in a post-Street Fighter V world.

This would be their Destiny/The Division, and Capcom just doesn't have the money to support a game like that. That Monster Hunter cash can only get them so far.

Remember Nioh? The game that went dark for almost 10 years only to reveal itself last year?

Nothing is dead until it's officially dead.

MacTag

Banned
Capcom will still need a flagship product to push after RE7 comes out, and as far as I'm aware they haven't announced anything else that would fill that role, so I can see a radically re-tooled version fitting the bill nicely.
Monster Hunter XX

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
It's dead.

I also would place bets that the RE Engine came from the ashes of the Phanta Rhei Engine. It seems like they're investing a lot of time and money into the RE Engine, they even bought a whole studio for it specifically so it's obvious the engine isn't just a one-off for RE7.

Sesha

Where was this said?

I thought it was mentioned in their 2016 integrated report, but upon re-reading, I can't find anything to suggest that was the case. That's weird, I dunno how I came to think it was based on MT Framework. Must have gotten some wires crossed. My bad.

I thought it was just Sony's 'Killzone 2 moment' of the new generation?

The graphics in that meeting trailer were very clearly bullshit for the PS4 hardware.

Jawmuncher

Maybe, but if you look at their quarterly financials Capcom have been heavily ramping up internal production which suggests to me a substantial slate is in production.

They gotta be prepping Dino Crisis for launch near Jurassic world 2

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
You mean last gen? This gen literally just started with the release of the PS4 Pro.
Yea no i'm not calling this a new gen since one of the consoles got a very incremental upgrade. :/

Maybe, but if you look at their quarterly financials Capcom have been heavily ramping up internal production which suggests to me a substantial slate is in production.
They're likely all hands on deck with the resident evil 2 remake.

Tonky

GPU particles? Absolutely. Look at inFamous.

And 4 four player co-op doesn't mean much in this case. It's just one enemy.

OT though, Capcom is pretty dead atm, so yeah.
It's not just the particle effects. The behavior of the fire is simulated using governing equations from fluid dynamics, which is extremely expensive from a computational perspective. The PS4 really would melt trying to do this.

9C5156F71FFCF82F87E6B8C37FC5CF5CEA8ED402

You wont get graphics like this even in the pro, what a decieving thing it was showing this at 2013 for the actual ps4.

It wasn't this graphics that people were doubting, but rather the reveal trailer which looked way more impressive than that in pretty much every aspect (lighting, models, animation, motion blur, etc).

This actually totally looks what a honest game from a bullshit trailer would look like.

Zojirushi

Just curious, has anything good ever come out of initial fake gameplay videos? I feel these games always end up dead, terrible or downgraded as fuck.

MacTag

Banned
Maybe for mobile. Capcom's financials have been pretty conservative recently.

HF2014

This game was one of the reason i was buying a PS4. The more i look at it, the more i think this will be a PS5 title IF they still working on it.

I got screwd ! Well na, at least there was Bloodborne!

yurinka

Maybe the Akuma's teaser is a troll and Ono makes a panty raid in the Playstation Experience event to announce that Deep Down resurrected and is coming next year.

Shredderi

I wonder what went so wrong with their hot new engine.

That's like saying that the Wii is still in the same gen as the Gamecube because it was an incremental upgrade.

Unfortunately, that's not how this shit works.

Were the all the Wii games being made so that they would still run on Gamecube? This is not a question about specs only.

I'm really disappointed this game fell off the map. It was one of my most anticipated titles from the early PS4 days. I don't think it's dead, but they must be doing a lot of reworking.

Top Bottom