• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can we discuss the MRA documentary "The Red Pill"?

I thought this was particularly interesting, nice detailed write up though.

-

Did anyone else get this takeaway?

The documentary producer seems uh, a bit odd. I don't see how someone who identifies as a feminst and discusses feminist issues would, upon hearing that there are issues plaguing non-women, abandon feminism as a whole.
It seems like she either had a really superficial interest and thoughts on feminism in the first place, or it made for a better film arch.
The thing with Cassie Jaye is, she barely expands on her final line that she doesn't see herself as a feminist anymore. It just comes out of the blue as a cliffhanger. It makes for a nice closer for all the online MRAs or redpillers who will go "hell yeah we got another one!", I guess. Then again she's not exactly a well researched documentarian (yeah yeah she's a former actress and new to the documentary making but no excuse), she doesn't challenge her subjects the way someone like Louis Theroux would.

Not to be rude, but I think that Neogaf isn't a very good place to discuss this documentary due to the bias that the site has.
Plus, i'm pretty sure less than half of the people in the thread have even seen the documentary. If you don't want to give money to the producers, there are ways to watch it without paying a cent.

haha. what a first post.

lachesis

lachesis: If your interest is men's issues, your best bet is to focus on that and not worry about any kind of feminism whatsoever.

I know you are going through divorce and are primed to be in antagonist mode, but if you stop thinking about feminism of the "opposite side" of what you are trying to accomplish, then you'll have more success and avoid more rabbit-holes like RedPill. OTOH, if you are looking for a movement where you can feel sorry about how a woman (or women in general) have it out for you, then RedPill is just the thing for you.But that's not at all productive.

Real talk-- are you in a custody battle? How is it going? What resources do you have, of you are?

Thanks for your concern. I always take things with grain of salt, and simply considered the "issues" brought up in the documentary was worth a mention and questioning.

I have to be brutally honest here, that you are definitely correct, and I am very much hurt at dissolve of my family against my will and against my dream. I am a simple man, who believes and have always behaved for equality in both domestic and workplace. All I wanted was to live in peace, helping my wife achieve her dream and grow my daughter to become a kind, caring, and good person.

I am, actually the one who introduced my wife to Sheryl Sandberg's book, "Lean In" - as I saw her struggling in her workplace - When I was working on the project of promoting her book, I really did think it would be beneficial for her to read. She was quite happy to receive the book, and told me that it's her new bible. She always had feminist values in her which I liked - but not sure how much or what kind. (She did tell me that she doesn't agree everything Sandberg had to say afterward.)

As I mentioned before, I do most of grunt work of the child rearing, and a lot of domestic chores including cooking, washing dishes & cleaning after the meal, taking out garbage & doing the lawn / general home fixing etc. We do laundry together, but I iron my own. I work 11a-7p - had to change my schedule for child rearing - that She chose her work for 9a-5p. I work slightly closer in NYC, and to save as much time - I drive in. I normally leave around 10a, and get home around 8p. Longer commute for her, so she leaves around 7:30 - but she normally comes home around 10 to midnight.

I also believed 100% transparency on how much I earn - so I put everything on shared bank account, keeping nothing on my own - and I wanted her to know how to pay the bills (She's from out of country) - and be independent - so I left bill payment with her throughout the years. My job, I thought was to earn as much as possible and to share domestic chores as much as possible. I felt bad of buying any sort of things for myself, because that money was coming off from our joint account. Interestingly, she kept her earnings for herself most of the time. I thought not much of that - knowing that I did make more money than her.

We did struggle financially, especially when I supported her NYU grad school for 4 years. After grad school we had our child. After 3 month - I have to be honest, that I hoped my wife would stay home a bit longer for our baby for another 3 months - but she wanted work. So I agreed. She was pregnant shortly after. I wanted to have the child - but she wanted to abort, because she wanted to pursue her carreer. Respecting her wishes and dreams, I followed - but to this day, its in my conscious that my daughter's sister or brother, didn't get to see the light of the day. I came to terms that if I do get punished for that after my death - I would admit my guilt. (No, I am not Catholic or Christian. My wife is from Catholic family)

When we build our new dream home in a good neighborhood with great school, I took my sister-in-law (who had verbally abusive husband) into my house and her niece. My town has great school system, so my niece benefited from it, instead of moving around all over the states. SIL, however has some anger issues that she often shouted at her teenager daughter. My fault is that I took a blind eye, even though I should have said something - all I did was console my crying niece. After all, my SIL was taking care of my daughter before I got home, feeding her supper. When I see a person, I try to look at the good side, not the bad side - and since she was acting as our resident nanny - I looked at the good side - because after building our house, we were short of money that I even sold all my collections of vintage rare Saturn games and DC/PS1 consoles and games to aid the construction (spent nearly 20k on it to collect them before marriage)

I lived like that for a couple of years, hoping we'll get through, make enough money so that we can breathe a bit, and after my niece graduate, I expected my SIL to move out.

To be honest, I never really wanted to talk about SIL with anyone - and just ride out. I don't really like confrontations.

One day - a few years ago. wife start to refusing having intimacy. Tired. Not feeling like doing it. Since I am not a rapest, I always respected her wishes - but that went on about 6 months. I got frustrated and confronted wife that what's going on. She flat out refused and didn't want to talk.

Then shortly after, she texts me and drops the bomb. She wants to leave sometime in the future when she's ready. Asked her if she is seeing anyone, she said no. She wanted to get things all neatly wrapped up and move onto her next chapter of lives without making too much splash. Also, she wanted to take a vacation of unknown place, alone for her 40th birthday. Thought it was fishy, but I just sucked it up. Maybe it's her midlife crisis or whatnot, I thought. I thought perhaps going alone would be a good thing for her to reflect her life and all. I asked for counseling. Her response was "no, I do not want to talk our privacy to another person".

Then she got sick for a few weeks. I was taking care of her. Feeding her and doing 100% of childrearing and all. (Still no sex. About a year by then, staying in separate rooms)

Shortly after, since I'm always looking for saving regular expenses like cellphone bills - and since everyone including my SIL and niece's smartphone bills were all on my account for corporate discount - I found another company offering better deal. To come up with real usage, I looked into online bills for research and found out peculiar number that wife's talking for long time. FB'ed that number, it was her Ex boyfriend, who is now married with 3 kids too. He lives back in overseas where she comes from, but it really bothered me.

So I confronted that - and she flat out denied that it's just friendly chat. Yes, she doesn't even talk to her female friends that long, not even her mother. Time she talked was mostly when she was alone - like when she's driving, or when she's on a business trip, or when she told me she's working late. But real kicker was that she was talking to him on my birthday, twice. She was talking to him when I was prepping her meals while she was sick. Also found out, on her chat, that the vacation of unknown place, she's not going alone. Going with a feminist co-worker who is also having an affair with another married man, and possibly another guy.

Her response was even infuriating - that I don't have any right to look into her private chats, even though it's unlocked phone, showing notification on its freaking home screen. Also since I wasn't listening to her about my SIL and her issues - she was lonely. That was her justification.

Found a chat that's mocking me and what a beta I am etc, and said things about her feelings towards this unknown guy who she had emotional affair (assuming it's her ex) and I was devastated. Was also devastated that one time when my friend finished NYC marathon in the memory of his dead brother, I had a guys night out. She told me that she'd have girls night out too at our place so I said okay. Turns out - she invited that the cheater co-worker and her boyfriend, drinking till the wee hours in front of my daughter, and let them use our marrital bedroom and bed (which I use) without letting me know that there's another guy that I hardly know will sleep and possibly have sex.

Then she wanted to leave to SC for a year. She wanted to have "Senior" title to her resume, and no place in NY is looking for it. I was against it, especially her taking our 5 yr old daughter. She threatened immediate divorce filing if I didn't let her go. So I gave in. I tried to visit my daughter as much as possible - but wife, told me not to come down because it's inconvenient for her. Thinking granting her wish would make her happy, I limited the visit to SC as much as possible. Interestingly, SC countryside style of living was too much for a metropolitan girl like her - so she came back to NY almost every other week. My visitation on SC is about 4 times per year.

During our discussion of why I don't want to be separated with my daughter - she said following things.

Marriage is an outdated institution that binds a girls heart to one man.
Marriage is an oppression on women.
She's born way ahead of her time.

Realizing this is feminist idea, I began to question Feminism, which I thought it's only and all about gender equality - upon studying 70's feminist movement - and how marriage and blood-related family is devalued and defined as a part of patriarchy oppression - It really really bothered me.

She got fired from SC company, and came back. She found another job in NYC though - and went all in for her job. Working 14-5 hours per day. Sometimes coming home 2-3am. Taking frequent business trips during week and weekends, multiple times per month. On weekend, she left my daughter with me and just went out to see museums and exhibitions, only coming home after midnight. During our CIS she has been very reluctant to show any of her spendings - and didn't even notify me that she was promoted to "Director" now, with pay raise. Yay. Good for her. I make about 150k on a good year and around 130k on average. She is making about 120-130k as she's hiding her salary now... and yet, she threatens me with alimony whenever our negotiations don't go at her likings.

To be honest, up to recent few months - I was still trying to salvage the marriage for the sake of family. But when she finally said shitty stuff regarding my own parents and how they are not as rich as hers - and she down-married her status etc - it was just end of it. I lost total respect for the woman, and I want her off my life now.

So far, we came down to 50/50 joint / legal custody - and I pay 60% of shared child expenses + $500 in 529. No alimony. 50/50 share after selling the house. She would pay 40% of shared chlld expenses + medical premium (which I believe is far less than $500 that I pay for 529) - and she still thinks it's unfair for her.

I'm waiting on the final agreement and signing it - but her lawyer has been quite lazy or what not - that I've been waiting forever for them to reply. Only real issue regarding the child custody is that she would complete the school in our current town (she graduates elementary next year) - then she wants to move to wherever she wants. (Right now she wants to go to either Brooklyn or Jersey City - as it's much closer to her work.) We moved to this town in Bergen county, specifically for its safety and nationally ranked school system - I had warned her about longer commute and all. Since my daughter was raised in this town pretty much entire of her life, with her friends and relatives - I am against of moving. But I can see myself in a year, that we will actually battle in court regarding the relocation of my daughter, as we both hold 50/50 legal custody right.

And to this date, my psycho SIL, now her daughter moved out to NYC going school, got green card using my address (wife got citizenship through me as well) - SIL still lives in my house.

So in a nutshell. Thats where I am. An alpha feminist girl divorcing a nice, PC beta loser like myself, who only had good intention. Sorry for the long-ass post.

But dealing with my wife for past 5 years, I am very hurt, broke (financially and mentally). I will probably search for therapy when all is said and done. (Can't afford it now, because I have to buy a place for my Daughter to live her, and lawyers have wasted almost 50k now)

I agree and admit it's part of the reason that I react on MRA's arguments, and even watched the movie The Red Pill - and idea of MGTOW, which separates one from marriage and relationships with women. Not that I am going to go around and become a 44 yr old PUA - (won't work so well because I drive freaking Prius) - I would just play some games from my steam wishlists, and read some books, going hiking, getting fit, have 6 pack ab for the first time in my life, do stuff that I have not done for many years, and just enjoy my life with being the very best dad for my daughter.

The thing to remember is that feminism isn't to blame, it's your asshole wife. Who frankly seems just as regressive as MRA types with this "beta" talk.

Simple solution seems to avoid getting married.

I'm not getting married unless I've spent like 30 years with the same woman and we both feel as happy to see each other as we did the first year.

So in a nutshell. Thats where I am. An alpha feminist girl divorcing a nice, PC beta loser like myself. Sorry for the long-ass point.

But dealing with my wife for past 5 years, I am very hurt, broke (financially and mentally). I will probably search for therapy when all is said and done. (Can't afford it now, because I have to buy a place for my Daughter to live her, and lawyers have wasted almost 50k now)

My dude, your ex-wife is a horrible human being. People are cunts, you unfortunately married one, that she calls herself a feminist is neither here nor there and you probably shouldn't blame feminism, but rather a shitty person being shitty.

lachesis

Simple solution seems to avoid getting married.

I'm not getting married unless I've spent like 30 years with the same woman and we both feel as happy to see each other as we did the first year.

Yes, interestingly - that's the core idea of MGTOW. Yes, some of them are based on misogyny - but there are many like myself, got really burnt by bad divorce or relationships.

At this point, that's exactly why I want some time off, or even going MGTOW, be single in celibacy. Definitely not ready to trust another woman, and idea of marriage - as this whole experience really did shook me to core. Hopefully, consulting therapist and all would make me feel ready in future.

lachesis

My dude, your ex-wife is a horrible human being. People are cunts, you unfortunately married one, that she calls herself a feminist is neither here nor there and you probably shouldn't blame feminism, but rather a shitty person being shitty.

I am looking into what I was as well. Was I so ignorant, so that she felt so alone and had to seek comfort from her ex behind my back?

My daily and every moment, I live to be a good person. My conscious decision - but if I was unavailable - my subconsciousness has something to do with it?

Since I realized I cannot really understand human mind in its entirely with 100% accuracy - I hope someday I can forgive her and myself. In time, I hope.

I am looking into what I was as well. Was I so ignorant, so that she felt so alone and had to seek comfort from her ex behind my back?

My daily and every moment, I live to be a good person. My conscious decision - but if I was unavailable - my subconsciousness has something to do with it?

Since I realized I cannot really understand human mind in its entirely with 100% accuracy - I hope someday I can forgive her and myself. In time, I hope.

Introspection is always a good idea if you want to grow as a person, but don't just focus on what you did wrong or what you did that 'forced' her to go back to her ex for comfort.

Like I said, sometimes people are cunts and they can be good at hiding it for a long ass time. There's enough in that post to suggest she's one such person. The thing about marrying down or your parents not being as rich/well off as hers, that's as huge a red flag about the type she is as you can get.

About what happened, lay the blame where it belongs and don't get pulled in garbage movements that 'make sense' while you're in a fragile and easily influenced state. Those garbage movements are built around people who were going through a difficult time and wanted someone or something to blame.

Focus on yourself, your daughter and moving forward in life.

Mossybrew

Iachesis you're obviously in a shitty, life changing situation that is going to take you a long time to fully get over - but embracing an identity as a victim is only going to prolong your mental and emotional healing.

There is not enough academic and credentialed people on the MRA side to make logical cases, going by this Red Pill documentary. Warren Farrell is probably the only person worth listening to and isn't focused on tearing down feminism since he has history fighting for women's rights and has recently focused on men too. He's probably the only academic person on the mens' rights side (although I don't think he identifies as MRA). Fred Hayward is more specific and personal about his bad custody story.

EDIT: Just checked up on Warren Farrell and his views on incest YIKES! I take back what I said about him.
http://www.wehuntedthemammoth.com/2...search-with-evasive-non-answers-and-a-smiley/
Yeah, he was definitely couching his langugage and points in this documentary.

The documentary doesn't do much to criticise these MRA figures directly.

There's a bit too much focus on feelings rather than facts, more anecdotes than statistics, which is ironic considering the MRAs at the start of the documentary are shown to be against. No one makes a convincing case that there is gender discrimination towards men under the law.

Where the documentary succeeds is when it's just focused on men's issues, especially custody cases or men being victims of domestic abuse. It falls apart when these people start talking about as a reaction to feminism, that men are the ones actually discriminated against, that women have the advantage in this world in terms of employment and education. Basically, everything that Paul Elam goes on about with his hyperbolic rhetorics.

These MRAs bring up gender expectations, but don't make a convincing case for how feminism is responsible for any of the issues that men face like the statistic shown a few times about male deaths due to workplace, war, or suicide.

CUSTODY

The documentary makes a good point that people who join up to be MRAs are usually divorced men who feel they've been disadvantaged by the family courts. However, on the feminist side like Michael Messner explains, there is reasoning for why this statistic is a thing.
custodial_parents_statistic_by_digi_matrix-dbeftip.png

Dispelling The Myth Of Gender Bias In The Family Court System - Cathy Meyer
According to a Pew Research Center analysis of the National Survey of Family Growth (NSFG) released in June of 2011:
"...a married father spends on average 6.5 hours a week taking part in primary child care activities with his children. The married mother spends on average 12.9 hours. Since two-income households are now the norm, not the exception, the above information indicates that not only are mothers working, but they are also doing twice as much child care as fathers.

It only makes sense that mothers who have a closer bond due to the time spent caring for a child be the one more likely to retain primary custody after a divorce."​

Divorced Fathers:
"According to the above study, when fathers and children live separately, 22 percent of fathers see their children more than once a week. Twenty-nine percent of fathers see their children one to four times a month. The most disturbing fact though is that 27 percent of fathers have no contact with their children at all.

When you take into consideration that mothers spend more time taking care of children before divorce and only 22 percent of fathers take advantage of spending what I would consider quality time with their children after the divorce, the fact that more mothers retain custody seems reasonable... doesn’t it?"​

Is the Family Court to blame according to statistics?

"According to DivorcePeers.com, the majority of child custody cases are not decided by the courts.

• In 51 percent of custody cases, both parents agreed — on their own — that mom become the custodial parent.
  • In 29 percent of custody cases, the decision was made without any third party involvement.
  • In 11 percent of custody cases, the decision for mom to have custody was made during mediation.
  • In 5 percent of custody cases, the issue was resolved after a custody evaluation.
  • Only 4 percent of custody cases went to trial and of that 4 percent, only 1.5 percent completed custody litigation.

In other words, 91 percent of child custody after divorce is decided with no interference from the family court system. How can there be a bias toward mothers when fewer than 4 percent of custody decisions are made by the Family Court?"​

So, the statistics don't back up this gender discrimination towards men in custody cases.

"What do these statistics tell us?

1. Fathers are less involved in their children’s care during the marriage.

2. Fathers are less involved in their children’s lives after divorce.

3. Mothers gain custody because the vast majority of fathers choose to give them custody.

4. There is no Family Court bias in favor of mothers because very few fathers seek custody during divorce.

I fully understand and appreciate the value of fathers in the lives of their children. We as a society should do everything in our power to encourage responsible parenting by both mothers and fathers.

After studying the statistics and working with divorcing clients for more than 10 years, it’s my opinion that the 'gender bias' argument is used by some fathers who fail to understand the value of legally fighting for more time with their children during the divorce process.

A gender bias argument should not be used by a divorced father unless he has personal experience and can back up that experience with proof. Until the statistics tell us that more than 4 percent of divorced fathers are seeking custody through the Family Court system, there are few men who have such experience and proof of a true 'gender bias'."​

DOMESTIC VIOLENCE

I think the most supported statisctic in the documentary is about domestic violence and how there aren't enough shelters for men. That a lot of men are also victims.
CDC:
https://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/pdf/NISVS-StateReportBook.pdf

Men
"In the United States, 30.9% or nearly 1 in 3 men have experienced contact sexual violence, physical violence, and/or stalking by an intimate partner in his lifetime (Table 5.4). Among states, 18.5% to 38.2% (all states) of men reported any of these behaviors by an intimate partner in their lifetime (Table 5.13). State estimates were stratified into quartiles (Figure 5.2). In the twelve months preceding the survey, 6.4% of U.S. men reported any contact sexual violence, physical violence and/or stalking by an intimate partner, with reportable state estimates ranging from 4.9% to 10.7% (19 states); see Tables 5.4 and 5.14. Among all U.S. men, 7.0% reported contact sexual violence by
an intimate partner in their lifetime, with state estimates ranging from 4.2% to 12.8% (27 states); see Tables 5.4 and 5.13. During the 12 months preceding the survey, 1.8% of men reported contact sexual violence by an intimate partner (Table 5.4); state estimates were not statistically reliable. Physical violence by an intimate partner was experienced by 28.3% of U.S. men during their lifetime, and 4.7% in the 12 months preceding the
survey (Table 5.4). State estimates of men reporting physical violence by an intimate partner during their lifetime ranged from 17.8% to 36.1% (all states) and 4.2% to 6.7% during the 12 months prior to taking the survey (7 states); see Tables 5.13 and 5.14. In terms of specific types of physical violence, 26.0% of U.S. men were slapped, pushed, or shoved by an intimate partner in their lifetime, and 4.4% of men reported those behaviors in the 12 months prior to taking the survey (Table 5.4). Severe physical violence by an intimate partner during the lifetime was reported by 13.9% of U.S. men in their lifetime, and 2.1% of men in the 12 months before the survey (Table 5.4). The lifetime and
12-month prevalence of stalking by an intimate partner for U.S. men was 2.3% and 0.8% respectively (Table 5.4); lifetime and 12-month state estimates for stalking were not
statistically reliable."​
Women
"In the United States, over 1 in 3 women (37.3%) experienced contact sexual violence, physical violence, and/or stalking victimization by an intimate partner during her lifetime (Table 5.1). Individual state estimates of lifetime experiences of contact sexual violence, physical violence and/or stalking by an intimate partner ranged from 27.8% to 45.3% (all states); see Table 5.7. State estimates were stratified into quartiles (Figure 5.1). In addition, approximately 1 in 15 women (6.6%) reported contact sexual violence, physical violence, and/or stalking victimization by an intimate partner in the 12 months preceding the survey (Table 5.1). State estimates for any contact sexual violence, physical violence, and/or stalking by an intimate partner experienced by U.S. women in the 12 months prior to the survey ranged from 4.2% to 10.6% (34 states). Contact sexual violence by an intimate partner was experienced by 16.4% of U.S. women during their lifetime, with state estimates ranging from 12.0% to 22.5% of women (50 states); see Tables 5.1 and 5.7. In the last 12 months, contact sexual violence by an intimate partner was experienced by 2.1% of women in the U.S. (Table 5.1); state estimates were not statistically reliable. Physical violence by an intimate partner during the lifetime was experienced by 32.4% of U.S. women, and state estimates ranged from 25.4% to 42.1% (all states); see Tables 5.1 and 5.7. During the 12 months preceding the survey, 3.9% of U.S. women experienced physical violence by an intimate partner, and among reportable states, estimates ranged from 3.5% to 7.6% (5 states); see Tables 5.1 and 5.8. Specifically, 30.3% of U.S. women reported being slapped, pushed, or shoved by an intimate partner in their lifetime and 3.6% reported these experiences in the 12 months prior to the survey (Table 5.1). Severe physical violence by an intimate partner was reported by 23.2% of women as happening in their lifetime, and by 2.5% of women as happening in the 12 months preceding the survey (Table 5.1). Stalking by an intimate partner was experienced by 9.7% of U.S. women in their lifetime, and 2.5% in the 12 months prior to the survey (Table 5.1)."​

The documentary at the very end briefly mentions the online manosphere. That Reddit's redpill community and MGTOW see themselves at odds with MRAs because they are the more extreme version and want to take advantage of the system. It highlights an important point for us that we people at NeoGAF mostly come across MRAs as these online people who are way more extremist and hateful than what the IRL MRAs in this documentary are shown, especially of the older age. Even then, the older MRAs might just be coaching their language for the documentary, and I'm certainly in big disagreement with people like Paul Elam, Harry Crouch; I only really see eye-to-eye with Erin Pizzey's and Warren Farrell's points.

However, as long as MRAs keep focusing on feminism, they're not going to get anywhere. MRAs and feminists can join on bipartisan issues like domestic violence.

Great post!

lachesis

sucks that happened to you, but it's all on you for a) blaming this all on "feminism," and b) turning to TRP/MGTOW, a toxic, fucked up culture that personifies everything you supposedly hate about feminism.

You're no better than that which you claim to hate.

Why, thank you for your brutal honesty. I don't blame all on "feminism", but I do have suspect on feminist ideology on its values on marriage and family.

Second, I only found about MRM a couple of weeks ago. My question of feminism on the issues that "bothered" me have - started many years ago when my wife blurted out those words to me.

I am not claiming that I am better than anybody. I'm just me. Doing my best as I can be.

lachesis

Introspection is always a good idea if you want to grow as a person, but don't just focus on what you did wrong or what you did that 'forced' her to go back to her ex for comfort.

Like I said, sometimes people are cunts and they can be good at hiding it for a long ass time. There's enough in that post to suggest she's one such person. The thing about marrying down or your parents not being as rich/well off as hers, that's as huge a red flag about the type she is as you can get.

About what happened, lay the blame where it belongs and don't get pulled in garbage movements that 'make sense' while you're in a fragile and easily influenced state. Those garbage movements are built around people who were going through a difficult time and wanted someone or something to blame.

Focus on yourself, your daughter and moving forward in life.

Thank you for your advice - will take that into my heart. :) I am, really trying.

Iachesis you're obviously in a shitty, life changing situation that is going to take you a long time to fully get over - but embracing an identity as a victim is only going to prolong your mental and emotional healing.

And I sincerely thank you as well. I do try. I know you are well intentioned, but sometimes I find myself questioning isn't this whole MRM and Feminism all started on victimhood as well. It's something everyone, I think should mull over.

Yes, interestingly - that's the core idea of MGTOW. Yes, some of them are based on misogyny - but there are many like myself, got really burnt by bad divorce or relationships.

At this point, that's exactly why I want some time off, or even going MGTOW, be single in celibacy. Definitely not ready to trust another woman, and idea of marriage - as this whole experience really did shook me to core. Hopefully, consulting therapist and all would make me feel ready in future.

I fully recommend therapy. I went through a very messy divorce with a woman who was physically and emotionally abusive and therapy saved my damn life. It would have been very easy for me to fall down the dark hole of mra toxicity, but I'm glad I didn't.

Here's the most valuable thing I learned: the reason I couldn't get anyone to believe my accusations of abuse, the reason I denied them even to myself, the reason I went through all the hell I did had NOTHING to do with feminism. If anything, it was a sense of toxic hyper masculinity that informed my idea that men couldn't be abused by women. That a man should suck it up. I've also found that the people and ideas that help me cope with all of this the most are feminists. The feminists that are part of my life are the ones fighting for equality. They're the ones fighting against the idea that men can't be victims of abuse. I was in a bad way and feminists in no uncertain terms saved my life.

Llyranor

Sorry to hear about that ordeal, lachesis. If custody is 50-50 and you show yourself to be a responsible father, the court is more likely to side with you than the mom if she wants to move and take the kid with her. They will take the kid's wellbeing into consideration, and that includes supporting stability for the kid.
but there are many like myself, got really burnt by bad divorce or relationships.
You need to be very careful in that they are specifically targeting vulnerable people to widen their numbers. They profit from this.

If you have a daughter (or sister, mother, niece, aunt, etc - basically if you're a human) then you owe it to her to not subscribe to toxic ideologies like MRAs and TRPs. Those are groups that want to exploit, abuse, and use women.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
And I sincerely thank you as well. I do try. I know you are well intentioned, but sometimes I find myself questioning isn't this whole MRM and Feminism all started on victimhood as well. It's something everyone, I think should mull over.
Feminism was created and evolved mostly in reaction to systemic systems of oppression of women. It's a very different idea than victimhood based on a single, sour personal experience with an individual.

If you have a daughter (or sister, mother, niece, aunt, etc - basically if you're a human) then you owe it to her to not subscribe to toxic ideologies like MRAs and TRPs. Those are groups that want to exploit, abuse, and use women.
This too.

Chorazin

We did struggle financially, especially when I supported her NYU grad school for 4 years. After grad school we had our child. After 3 month - I have to be honest, that I hoped my wife would stay home a bit longer for our baby for another 3 months - but she wanted work. So I agreed. She was pregnant shortly after. I wanted to have the child - but she wanted to abort, because she wanted to pursue her carreer.

Man, there is so much I want to talk about with this whole thing but I'm just gonna focus here: It sounds like she was determined from the JUMP to advance and have a career. Did you two really discuss kids or did you just assume it would happen and she'd be 100% into it? For a young woman just starting her career a child can destroy it before it even starts. With her jumping back into work quickly it seems like maybe this was the starting point for everything else. While YOU definitely wanted "The American Dream" maybe she just wanted Freedom, especially coming from a foreign country where women most likely didn't have the means of advancement they do here.

If you kept trying to force the mom role on her while she wanted the careerwoman role, this friction would eventually lead to resentment and explode like it did. I'm certainly not saying it was right for her to cheat, but stubborn refusal to acknowledge her choices may have been an issue. Since you don't seem to accept or place any blame on yourself and "being a simple man" reads close to "I'm such a nice guy" I'm wondering what her side would be.

Laying blame on feminism is just the strawman for blaming her for wanting more for herself than just "mom". A radical "MRM" response would be to say that women just shouldn't be allowed to work like men do, because that is destroying gender roles or some garbage. I really hope you don't succumb to this ideas, Not all women are your wife, another woman may have been perfectly happy with the life you envisioned.

Jenov

There is not enough academic and credentialed people on the MRA side to make logical cases, going by this Red Pill documentary. Warren Farrell is probably the only person worth listening to and isn't focused on tearing down feminism since he has history fighting for women's rights and has recently focused on men too. He's probably the only academic person on the mens' rights side (although I don't think he identifies as MRA). Fred Hayward is more specific and personal about his bad custody story.

EDIT: Just checked up on Warren Farrell and his views on incest YIKES! I take back what I said about him.
http://www.wehuntedthemammoth.com/2...search-with-evasive-non-answers-and-a-smiley/
Yeah, he was definitely couching his langugage and points in this documentary.

The documentary doesn't do much to criticise these MRA figures directly.

There's a bit too much focus on feelings rather than facts, more anecdotes than statistics, which is ironic considering the MRAs at the start of the documentary are shown to be against. No one makes a convincing case that there is gender discrimination towards men under the law.

Where the documentary succeeds is when it's just focused on men's issues, especially custody cases or men being victims of domestic abuse. It falls apart when these people start talking about as a reaction to feminism, that men are the ones actually discriminated against, that women have the advantage in this world in terms of employment and education. Basically, everything that Paul Elam goes on about with his hyperbolic rhetorics.

These MRAs bring up gender expectations, but don't make a convincing case for how feminism is responsible for any of the issues that men face like the statistic shown a few times about male deaths due to workplace, war, or suicide.

CUSTODY

The documentary makes a good point that people who join up to be MRAs are usually divorced men who feel they've been disadvantaged by the family courts. However, on the feminist side like Michael Messner explains, there is reasoning for why this statistic is a thing.
custodial_parents_statistic_by_digi_matrix-dbeftip.png

Dispelling The Myth Of Gender Bias In The Family Court System - Cathy Meyer
According to a Pew Research Center analysis of the National Survey of Family Growth (NSFG) released in June of 2011:
"...a married father spends on average 6.5 hours a week taking part in primary child care activities with his children. The married mother spends on average 12.9 hours. Since two-income households are now the norm, not the exception, the above information indicates that not only are mothers working, but they are also doing twice as much child care as fathers.

It only makes sense that mothers who have a closer bond due to the time spent caring for a child be the one more likely to retain primary custody after a divorce."​

Divorced Fathers:
"According to the above study, when fathers and children live separately, 22 percent of fathers see their children more than once a week. Twenty-nine percent of fathers see their children one to four times a month. The most disturbing fact though is that 27 percent of fathers have no contact with their children at all.

When you take into consideration that mothers spend more time taking care of children before divorce and only 22 percent of fathers take advantage of spending what I would consider quality time with their children after the divorce, the fact that more mothers retain custody seems reasonable... doesn’t it?"​

Is the Family Court to blame according to statistics?

"According to DivorcePeers.com, the majority of child custody cases are not decided by the courts.

• In 51 percent of custody cases, both parents agreed — on their own — that mom become the custodial parent.
  • In 29 percent of custody cases, the decision was made without any third party involvement.
  • In 11 percent of custody cases, the decision for mom to have custody was made during mediation.
  • In 5 percent of custody cases, the issue was resolved after a custody evaluation.
  • Only 4 percent of custody cases went to trial and of that 4 percent, only 1.5 percent completed custody litigation.

In other words, 91 percent of child custody after divorce is decided with no interference from the family court system. How can there be a bias toward mothers when fewer than 4 percent of custody decisions are made by the Family Court?"​

So, the statistics don't back up this gender discrimination towards men in custody cases.

"What do these statistics tell us?

1. Fathers are less involved in their children’s care during the marriage.

2. Fathers are less involved in their children’s lives after divorce.

3. Mothers gain custody because the vast majority of fathers choose to give them custody.

4. There is no Family Court bias in favor of mothers because very few fathers seek custody during divorce.

I fully understand and appreciate the value of fathers in the lives of their children. We as a society should do everything in our power to encourage responsible parenting by both mothers and fathers.

After studying the statistics and working with divorcing clients for more than 10 years, it’s my opinion that the 'gender bias' argument is used by some fathers who fail to understand the value of legally fighting for more time with their children during the divorce process.

A gender bias argument should not be used by a divorced father unless he has personal experience and can back up that experience with proof. Until the statistics tell us that more than 4 percent of divorced fathers are seeking custody through the Family Court system, there are few men who have such experience and proof of a true 'gender bias'."​

DOMESTIC VIOLENCE

I think the most supported statisctic in the documentary is about domestic violence and how there aren't enough shelters for men. That a lot of men are also victims.
CDC:
https://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/pdf/NISVS-StateReportBook.pdf

Men
"In the United States, 30.9% or nearly 1 in 3 men have experienced contact sexual violence, physical violence, and/or stalking by an intimate partner in his lifetime (Table 5.4). Among states, 18.5% to 38.2% (all states) of men reported any of these behaviors by an intimate partner in their lifetime (Table 5.13). State estimates were stratified into quartiles (Figure 5.2). In the twelve months preceding the survey, 6.4% of U.S. men reported any contact sexual violence, physical violence and/or stalking by an intimate partner, with reportable state estimates ranging from 4.9% to 10.7% (19 states); see Tables 5.4 and 5.14. Among all U.S. men, 7.0% reported contact sexual violence by
an intimate partner in their lifetime, with state estimates ranging from 4.2% to 12.8% (27 states); see Tables 5.4 and 5.13. During the 12 months preceding the survey, 1.8% of men reported contact sexual violence by an intimate partner (Table 5.4); state estimates were not statistically reliable. Physical violence by an intimate partner was experienced by 28.3% of U.S. men during their lifetime, and 4.7% in the 12 months preceding the
survey (Table 5.4). State estimates of men reporting physical violence by an intimate partner during their lifetime ranged from 17.8% to 36.1% (all states) and 4.2% to 6.7% during the 12 months prior to taking the survey (7 states); see Tables 5.13 and 5.14. In terms of specific types of physical violence, 26.0% of U.S. men were slapped, pushed, or shoved by an intimate partner in their lifetime, and 4.4% of men reported those behaviors in the 12 months prior to taking the survey (Table 5.4). Severe physical violence by an intimate partner during the lifetime was reported by 13.9% of U.S. men in their lifetime, and 2.1% of men in the 12 months before the survey (Table 5.4). The lifetime and
12-month prevalence of stalking by an intimate partner for U.S. men was 2.3% and 0.8% respectively (Table 5.4); lifetime and 12-month state estimates for stalking were not
statistically reliable."​
Women
"In the United States, over 1 in 3 women (37.3%) experienced contact sexual violence, physical violence, and/or stalking victimization by an intimate partner during her lifetime (Table 5.1). Individual state estimates of lifetime experiences of contact sexual violence, physical violence and/or stalking by an intimate partner ranged from 27.8% to 45.3% (all states); see Table 5.7. State estimates were stratified into quartiles (Figure 5.1). In addition, approximately 1 in 15 women (6.6%) reported contact sexual violence, physical violence, and/or stalking victimization by an intimate partner in the 12 months preceding the survey (Table 5.1). State estimates for any contact sexual violence, physical violence, and/or stalking by an intimate partner experienced by U.S. women in the 12 months prior to the survey ranged from 4.2% to 10.6% (34 states). Contact sexual violence by an intimate partner was experienced by 16.4% of U.S. women during their lifetime, with state estimates ranging from 12.0% to 22.5% of women (50 states); see Tables 5.1 and 5.7. In the last 12 months, contact sexual violence by an intimate partner was experienced by 2.1% of women in the U.S. (Table 5.1); state estimates were not statistically reliable. Physical violence by an intimate partner during the lifetime was experienced by 32.4% of U.S. women, and state estimates ranged from 25.4% to 42.1% (all states); see Tables 5.1 and 5.7. During the 12 months preceding the survey, 3.9% of U.S. women experienced physical violence by an intimate partner, and among reportable states, estimates ranged from 3.5% to 7.6% (5 states); see Tables 5.1 and 5.8. Specifically, 30.3% of U.S. women reported being slapped, pushed, or shoved by an intimate partner in their lifetime and 3.6% reported these experiences in the 12 months prior to the survey (Table 5.1). Severe physical violence by an intimate partner was reported by 23.2% of women as happening in their lifetime, and by 2.5% of women as happening in the 12 months preceding the survey (Table 5.1). Stalking by an intimate partner was experienced by 9.7% of U.S. women in their lifetime, and 2.5% in the 12 months prior to the survey (Table 5.1)."​

The documentary at the very end briefly mentions the online manosphere. That Reddit's redpill community and MGTOW see themselves at odds with MRAs because they are the more extreme version and want to take advantage of the system. It highlights an important point for us that we people at NeoGAF mostly come across MRAs as these online people who are way more extremist and hateful than what the IRL MRAs in this documentary are shown, especially of the older age. Even then, the older MRAs might just be coaching their language for the documentary, and I'm certainly in big disagreement with people like Paul Elam, Harry Crouch; I only really see eye-to-eye with Erin Pizzey's and Warren Farrell's points.

However, as long as MRAs keep focusing on feminism, they're not going to get anywhere. MRAs and feminists can join on bipartisan issues like domestic violence.

Thanks for posting this. So tired of people parroting the lie that men are constantly being screwed in family court. Men just don't petition for custody as often and that's why the stats are lopsided (a patriarchal society effect, funny enough).

lachesis

I fully recommend therapy. I went through a very messy divorce with a woman who was physically and emotionally abusive and therapy saved my damn life. It would have been very easy for me to fall down the dark hole of mra toxicity, but I'm glad I didn't.

Thank you. Will definitely seek out counseling. Just gotta go through this mess first... :(

Sorry to hear about that ordeal, lachesis. If custody is 50-50 and you show yourself to be a responsible father, the court is more likely to side with you than the mom if she wants to move and take the kid with her. They will take the kid's wellbeing into consideration, and that includes supporting stability for the kid.

You need to be very careful in that they are specifically targeting vulnerable people to widen their numbers. They profit from this.

Hope that's the case. I am trying to provide most stable environment for my daughter.

Feminism was created and evolved mostly in reaction to systemic systems of oppression of women. It's a very different idea than victimhood based on a single, sour personal experience with an individual.

This too.

Thank you, and dully noted on latter. but I have to be honest, that the former point of systemic oppression, I'm not entirely convinced. I don't think patriarchic oppression, just came out of an Eureka moment - that women had felt it from down deep since renaissance days... It's that kind of cumulation of those sour experience, eventually gets studied and theorized. Just my humble opinion, of course.

Man, there is so much I want to talk about with this whole thing but I'm just gonna focus here: It sounds like she was determined from the JUMP to advance and have a career. Did you two really discuss kids or did you just assume it would happen and she'd be 100% into it? For a young woman just starting her career a child can destroy it before it even starts. With her jumping back into work quickly it seems like maybe this was the starting point for everything else. While YOU definitely wanted "The American Dream" maybe she just wanted Freedom, especially coming from a foreign country where women most likely didn't have the means of advancement they do here.

If you kept trying to force the mom role on her while she wanted the careerwoman role, this friction would eventually lead to resentment and explode like it did. I'm certainly not saying it was right for her to cheat, but stubborn refusal to acknowledge her choices may have been an issue. Since you don't seem to accept or place any blame on yourself and "being a simple man" reads close to "I'm such a nice guy" I'm wondering what her side would be.

Laying blame on feminism is just the strawman for blaming her for wanting more for herself than just "mom". A radical "MRM" response would be to say that women just shouldn't be allowed to work like men do, because that is destroying gender roles or some garbage. I really hope you don't succumb to this ideas, Not all women are your wife, another woman may have been perfectly happy with the life you envisioned.

I'm open for discussion - but I will make this short on her career. I did encourage her job. ALL THE TIME. Only time we had difference in terms of that was when she wanted go back to work in 3 months, and I wished for 6 months. She, was working parttime freelancer at that time. I always encouraged her career. She did lose her job for several period of the time, and quite depressed about not being able to find a steady job in hear field. I suggested going for a little place that she totally forgot about - and there she found her first steady job which she has branched out.

I do however have guilt on 2nd child abortion. It wasn't planned either. The guilt that feel, is not on her. It's on me. She made her choice, and I don't blame her for that. But I do feel guilt.

And you are very correct that what she has to say.

Read her notes on thoughts of why. ( She has left bunch of drafts on the letter, explaining why to her parents.) She recognizes that I am "nice" guy. She recognizes that the life she lives, is indeed really super comfy and all. But she wants freedom. She believes that I am too dependent on her. My sacrifice in love and dedicating my life to her, she thought it as my dependency. Thus she lost her "respect". No respect, no love. need to leave.

Those are the words she wrote on those draft - her line of thoughts.
And words from her mouth to me, were well, written above.

I'm not blaming feminism, but I do question whether it's right in my consciousness.

Another thing to consider is that in a custody fight having a trail of MRA and MGTOW nonsense is and frankly should be pretty good ammunition to be used against you.

God knows I wouldn't want a young girl to be raised in that ideology.

You seem decent but angry/misguided. Cut that shit out now before it hurts you and your daughter

Thank you, and dully noted on latter. but I have to be honest, that the former point of systemic oppression, I'm not entirely convinced. I don't think patriarchic oppression, just came out of an Eureka moment - that women had felt it from down deep since renaissance days... It's that kind of cumulation of those sour experience, eventually gets studied and theorized. Just my humble opinion, of course.

I'm not blaming feminism, but I do question whether it's right in my consciousness.

"I'm not blaming feminism buuuut I'm going to keep kinda blaming feminism and women."

I appreciate your willingness to continue to engage in discussion, but hope you take what other posters have said to heart.

Llyranor

'Wanting freedom' is not a general feminist talking point, not in the sense you might be perceiving it. Women are not as a global rule encouraged to divorce their husbands because all men are pigs - unless you are talking about a narrow toxic branch of feminism, aka the MRA equivalent for women). The freedom she is craving is one that you as a man also freely have access to. You are free to get bored of your wife and leave her. It is a personal issue btw the couple. It is understandable to be resentful that it happened. However, being allowed to separate and divorce is very much an equal right.

Consider the alternative. The husband controls the wife, she cannot leave him, even if he beats or rapes her (spousal rape was not considered a crime in all 50 states until 1993 - 1993). These are the systemic oppression that feminism has had to fight historically. It is not a made-up boogie man.

Lach. Thank you for telling your story. I don't blame you and whatever you need to do to make yourself feel better and more worthwhile go do it. Your wife obviously didn't respect you at all, put her ideology before you, and was essentially selfish and fell into common trappings.

You are only a couple years older than me. Best just focus on you and build a new life for you.

lachesis

FYI - I am not white male (seeing my broken english here and there) - I am an asian, actually from same country as her. I was born in midwestern U.S. - but grew up overseas in my early years. I came back to U.S. midwest when I was 15, alone. Very awkward place I was in. Only Asian boy in town, besides the girl, besides ones who were adopted, or the daughter of local chinese restaurant.

Lived with couple of host familes during my high school years. I got full ride scholarship in state university and graduated there. Had only few hundred bucks in my pocket after graduation, but didn't have any debt. After fumbling in various jobs, I started internship in major news network and got permalancer job. Been with the company for 20 years. My parents, who were born rich and very well educated - but my father's business didn't fare so well, so my upbringing wasn't anything too extravagant. I did what I could though, by working my butt off since 15, independent from my parents, knowing sending me $$$ would give them so much hardship due to exchange rate.

My wife, born in a very prominent lawyer family. but unlike my family (I only have 2 brothers) - she had upbringing of patriarchy oppression from her parents. She has big sister (my SIL) and oh-so-well-off-prince brother, who was VERY VERY favored by her parents. Wife, grew up, quite oppressed, even though she wasn't poor or anything. I went same elementary school with her in my childhood back there - and I knew of his brother. Very popular leader among boys. I only knew her being the sister, because we were never in the same class. Met her in class reunion and fell in love with her with her fire in her heart. I always wanted to cherish the fire in her heart, and since I was content with my life and all - I wanted to support her as best as I can to achieve her dreams.

So that's why I took up bulk of chores and child rearing. The stats up there - that doesn't shit on me at all. As I said, I am me and I do what I think is right.

But at the same time, I do admit hoping that she would take up the responsibility of being a mother by being there for my daughter. I cannot recall counting my young daughter always asking me "Why is mommy being so late all the time?" I was hoping, that in a stable, comfortable life - she would find the peace in life and balance between her career and life. But it does seem like her life is her career - unlike my point of view - and that's something I had not really thought of. More comfortable she became, more off shot she went with her career, especially after getting her U.S. citizenship.

lachesis

Lach. Thank you for telling your story. I don't blame you and whatever you need to do to make yourself feel better and more worthwhile go do it. Your wife obviously didn't respect you at all, put her ideology before you, and was essentially selfish and fell into common trappings.

You are only a couple years older than me. Best just focus on you and build a new life for you.

Thank you wholeheartedly.

Keri

Thank you, and dully noted on latter. but I have to be honest, that the former point of systemic oppression, I'm not entirely convinced. I don't think patriarchic oppression, just came out of an Eureka moment - that women had felt it from down deep since renaissance days... It's that kind of cumulation of those sour experience, eventually gets studied and theorized. Just my humble opinion

There's a difference between "I had a bad experience with a woman" and not being able to vote or own property. When we're talking about systemic oppression, we're talking about instances where the system we live in explicitly and legally treated women as inferior, which then influences personal relationships and perpetuates oppression. It's not comparable to men having bad relationships. And I don't mean to say that to dismiss your personal experiences, but they're just not the same.

This is really bad advice in the context of this thread. If he's going to flirt with anti-feminist MRA/MGTOW ideology to make himself feel better that's not behavior that should be encouraged.

Not to mention there is a child, a daughter in the mix, exploring toxic misogynistic ideology to make yourself feel more worthy isn't fair to her. Raising her in that ideology would harm her significantly.

By all means he should look after himself and take care of himself but MRA/MGTOW is not how to do it.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
A few months back my sister couldn't stop talking about how amazing this documentary is and how everyone needed to see it.

I still haven't bothered to see it.

lachesis

There's a difference between "I had a bad experience with a woman" and not being able to vote or own property. When we're talking about systemic oppression, we're talking about instances where the system we live in explicitly and legally treated women as inferior, which then influences personal relationships and perpetuates oppression. It's not comparable to men having bad relationships. And I don't mean to say that to dismiss your personal experiences, but they're just not the same.

I am not saying the "magnitude" of the scale or its history - but how a movement gets formed - but I do appreciate your points and noted. :)

In my case, I started question on the concept of family unit and marriage (and to certain extent, religion and morality & adultery / free love) in feminist point of view and whether it was in line with my own core values that I seek in life. Yes, I know. It's much easier to think "I married a wrong woman" or "I drove her mad for being too beta" or whatnot - but I am hoping, that in the end, I hope that I would find the values within me. I thought I knew, but I do not. Something, really bothers me within, and just want to extract that out, whether it's politically correct or wrong.

To find true peace within, I think I really have to look inside myself. So even with all the flowering of attention from all of you (some very thoughtful, some very nice, some scornful) - I appreciate it - yet that's why I'm keep asking to its fundamentals... but due to my engrish, can't really form it too well.. :(

In my case, I started question on the concept of family unit and marriage (and to certain extent, religion and morality & adultery / free love) in feminist point of view and whether it was in line with my own core values that I seek in life.

What does this even mean?

That it's hard when the wound is still fresh to look at things pragmatically.

What you're going through sounds rough, but from our POV, it sounds like you married a pretty bad person, who used you.

Live and learn, do what you can to make things better and move on. :)

lachesis

Patriarchy vs Feminism and its inherit social engineering and cultural marxism.

In my question of Feminism - I always wondered what a utopian Feminist nation is and what it's looking for - the final ideal of feminist society and what it would be like, now it would function day to day. How people work, how much they'll be compensated, how they would live their lives.

I imagine, it would have to be pure socialist or communist society. Many feminists have mentioned that communism is the arcadia of the feminism where the all the sexes are indeed liberated. They do also have their share of critics, but when it comes down to policy making and affecting real life in politics - capitalism doesn't seem to fit Feminism any way possible.

Same goes to the religion. I understand many of you are atheist. I don't belong in any religious groups - if I was, I would be more sort in line of Buddhist, like my mother. Because western Christianity is basically a patriarchy religion, in perfect feminist nation, would religion be banned because of its inherit patriarchy? (I know, I am going very very far). Perhaps before we get to that point, religion might die out, but I don't see that happening in my lifetime - but I just wonder... What's the difference of denouncing patriarchy and that of Chinese Culture Revolution? Am I okay with that, I always ask.

Marriage and traditional family itself is also part of patriarchy too, so it's understandable that it's discouraged. I do know, that in Europeans - they are modifying the nuclear family to - just 2 people (mother/child) and all, and I do believe the trend will soon follow in U.S. Family as we know of now - blood related - will likely be a community of emotionally tight group. But without marriage, how will we sustain enough population, and what's Feminists solution to keep the population up? Open immigration?

Divorce / Adultery - that in sexually liberated society - such thing shouldn't even be an issue, I think... Adultery of women, especially - is shunned upon - because gender inequality and patriarchy's inherit view of owning a woman as if she's her property. So I ask, in feminism, what would be like to live as a man and woman, and to date or court, or how to have baby. Men with serene mind of zero masculinity approaching female, or the other way around? All kinds of weird thoughts and imaginations here..

I am, wondering and questioning such things in life, especially in this highly developed society of tight yet loose SNS networking.

And yes, I know it's rather far fetched questions, imaginations, but one cannot ignore that Feminism is indeed a political ideology, seeking "power" - seeking gender equality by empowering females and oppressed - and as long as the method itself is seeking "power", it just cannot be avoided being political.

I've been told by some, that in fight itself there's meaning. But that I've heard from other left leaning friends back where I am from.

It's just like I imagine living in a Socialist or Communist country. Sweden comes into mind. Near utopian Feminist country. What's really like living there, as an Asian American? Will I get less of discrimination and be streotyped less than here in America?

It's those types of fundamental things, that I question all the time. Because by definition, destroying patriarchy in all the faces of life, literally means destroying western culture and value as whole.

Such things, I think in my head when think of Feminism and I. For me, it's just more than equal rights between men and women.

or, I just need a shrink. :)

"Because by definition, destroying patriarchy in all the faces of life, literally means destroying western culture and value as whole."

D9lyptg.gif

Also, citing "cultural marxism". Dude is all the way in. Next he'll bring up (((globalisation))), and other certain terms...

I'm about halfway through the movie myself. So far it brings up a lot of good points about mortality, education, and societal expectations of men. Unfortunately this side tends to attract a lot of shitheads. But I think there's a lot of awful people on the feminist side too.

I wasn't sure what I'd be getting into when I started the movie but so far it's pretty well balanced. I'm sure you could bring up a list of every sin these guys have done but it doesn't change the stats. I really hate when people just wave things like this away just because they think they already know everything they need to know. Would you want MRA's to watch an eye-opening movie on feminism? Well progress only occurs when people take the time to listen to each other. You're not going to hammer feminism into their heads by saying your opinion is the only one worth listening to.

lachesis

"Because by definition, destroying patriarchy in all the faces of life, literally means destroying western culture and value as whole."

D9lyptg.gif

Also, citing "cultural marxism". Dude is all the way in. Next he'll bring up (((globalisation))), and other certain terms...

LOL... :) Sorry to be in deep in thoughts but that's what I came upon with. And I do not dislike Marxism. I do also like Socialism too - why would I have voted for Bernie?

I believe society needs to help out the week and oppressed. But till what extent - is another question, that I also ask too.

L Thammy

LOL... :) Sorry to be in deep in thoughts but that's what I came upon with. And I do not dislike Marxism. I do also like Socialism too - why would I have voted for Bernie?

I believe society needs to help out the week and oppressed. But till what extent - is another question, that I also ask too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankfurt_School

'Cultural Marxism' in modern political parlance refers to a conspiracy theory which sees the Frankfurt School as part of an ongoing movement to take over and destroy Western society.[53][54][55][56]

Originally the term 'cultural Marxism' had a niche academic usage within cultural studies where it referred to a form of anti-capitalist cultural critique which specifically targets those aspects of culture that are seen as profit driven and mass produced under capitalism.[57][58][59][60][61] As an area of discourse it has commonly considered the industrialization and mass-production of culture by The Culture Industry as having an overall negative effect on society, an effect which reifies the audience away from developing a more authentic sense of human values.[62][58] British theorists such as Richard Hoggart of The Birmingham School developed a working class sense of 'British Cultural Marxism' which also objected to the "massification" and "drift" away from local cultures, a process of commercialization Hoggart saw as being enabled by tabloid newspapers, advertising, and the American film industry.[63]

However, the term remained niche and rarely used until the late 1990s when it was appropriated by paleoconservatives as part of an ongoing Culture War in which it is claimed that the very same theorists who were analysing and objecting to the "massification" and mass control via commercialization of culture were in fact in control and staging their own attack on Western society, using 1960s counter culture, multiculturalism, progressive politics and political correctness as their methods.[55][64][65] This conspiracy theory version of the term is associated with American religious paleoconservatives such as William S. Lind, Pat Buchanan, and Paul Weyrich, but also holds currency among alt-right/white nationalist groups and the neo-reactionary movement.[65][56][66]

The term "cultural marxism" is a favorite term among the alt-right and originated from Hitler's tendency to label things he didn't like as "Jewish Marxism".

Labeling something non-economic as a kind of "marxism" is not a good look.

Patriarchy vs Feminism and its inherit social engineering and cultural marxism.

In my question of Feminism - I always wondered what a utopian Feminist nation is and what it's looking for - the final ideal of feminist society and what it would be like, now it would function day to day. How people work, how much they'll be compensated, how they would live their lives.

I imagine, it would have to be pure socialist or communist society. Many feminists have mentioned that communism is the arcadia of the feminism where the all the sexes are indeed liberated. They do also have their share of critics, but when it comes down to policy making and affecting real life in politics - capitalism doesn't seem to fit Feminism any way possible.

Same goes to the religion. I understand many of you are atheist. I don't belong in any religious groups - if I was, I would be more sort in line of Buddhist, like my mother. Because western Christianity is basically a patriarchy religion, in perfect feminist nation, would religion be banned because of its inherit patriarchy? (I know, I am going very very far). Perhaps before we get to that point, religion might die out, but I don't see that happening in my lifetime - but I just wonder... What's the difference of denouncing patriarchy and that of Chinese Culture Revolution? Am I okay with that, I always ask.

Marriage and traditional family itself is also part of patriarchy too, so it's understandable that it's discouraged. I do know, that in Europeans - they are modifying the nuclear family to - just 2 people (mother/child) and all, and I do believe the trend will soon follow in U.S. Family as we know of now - blood related - will likely be a community of emotionally tight group. But without marriage, how will we sustain enough population, and what's Feminists solution to keep the population up? Open immigration?

Divorce / Adultery - that in sexually liberated society - such thing shouldn't even be an issue, I think... Adultery of women, especially - is shunned upon - because gender inequality and patriarchy's inherit view of owning a woman as if she's her property. So I ask, in feminism, what would be like to live as a man and woman, and to date or court, or how to have baby. Men with serene mind of zero masculinity approaching female, or the other way around? All kinds of weird thoughts and imaginations here..

I am, wondering and questioning such things in life, especially in this highly developed society of tight yet loose SNS networking.

And yes, I know it's rather far fetched questions, imaginations, but one cannot ignore that Feminism is indeed a political ideology, seeking "power" - seeking gender equality by empowering females and oppressed - and as long as the method itself is seeking "power", it just cannot be avoided being political.

I've been told by some, that in fight itself there's meaning. But that I've heard from other left leaning friends back where I am from.

It's just like I imagine living in a Socialist or Communist country. Sweden comes into mind. Near utopian Feminist country. What's really like living there, as an Asian American? Will I get less of discrimination and be streotyped less than here in America?

It's those types of fundamental things, that I question all the time. Because by definition, destroying patriarchy in all the faces of life, literally means destroying western culture and value as whole.

Such things, I think in my head when think of Feminism and I. For me, it's just more than equal rights between men and women.

or, I just need a shrink. :)
Even if Sweden is seen as this "near utopian feminist country", it's not going to change discrimination or racism there. Feminism doesn't cover every issue. There are quite a few neo nazi organisations there. Swedes are definitely not a fan of muslims and jews.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism_in_Sweden

Best to just focus on the reality than hypotheticals for now.

Fhtagn

I'm about halfway through the movie myself. So far it brings up a lot of good points about mortality, education, and societal expectations of men. Unfortunately this side tends to attract a lot of shitheads. But I think there's a lot of awful people on the feminist side too.

I wasn't sure what I'd be getting into when I started the movie but so far it's pretty well balanced. I'm sure you could bring up a list of every sin these guys have done but it doesn't change the stats. I really hate when people just wave things like this away just because they think they already know everything they need to know. Would you want MRA's to watch an eye-opening movie on feminism? Well progress only occurs when people take the time to listen to each other. You're not going to hammer feminism into their heads by saying your opinion is the only one worth listening to.

It's a propaganda movie that glosses over the awful things the people it it have done and said. It's as balanced as Fox News. You should check out http://www.wehuntedthemammoth.com to see what these people are actually like.

By pitting MRAs (a niche group) against "feminists" (a huge group with many, many niches and varieties), you are making a big logical error... they are not directly comparable.

lachesis

Even if Sweden is seen as this "near utopian feminist country", it's not going to change discrimination or racism there. Feminism doesn't cover every issue. There are quite a few neo nazi organisations there. Swedes are definitely not a fan of muslims and jews.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism_in_Sweden

Best to just focus on the reality than hypotheticals for now.

Of course. :) Thanks. They are just my thoughts. This is first time I've laid out my situation openly in any sort of community. They are just questions. Theoretical and theoretical only - and I even wondered if anybody even thought of those kind of issues - or what other feminists stances are.

Now you've gone too far.

LOL - well, in actual election, voted for Hillary too! Oh man, I feel like I don't belong in either groups! Ha Ha.
Time to retire to see my daughter. Thank you all.

Top Bottom