• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canada: marijuana to be legal by July 1, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Move to a more urban and less earthy city.. Just kidding!! DC its legal and smells everywhere. Not that I really care or bothered. It's in apartment hallways, street corners and even driving a car you will catch fumes.

Ive watched people roll up blunts on the metro and have it in mouth ready for exit. Also saw some police jokingly say how strong it smells walking up the street.

That sucks if that's the case. I don't know the laws in DC, but shouldn't it be treated the same as having an open bottle of alcohol? In Seattle it's illegal to use marijuana in public view, how that's defined, or how it's enforced I'm not entirely sure, but I haven't personally experienced a problem here. I guess I can't speak for everyone though.

Why even limit?

Well I imagine its a combination of substance laws and agricultural legislature.

If we look to beer for example, you can brew your own stuff but I imagine theres a limit on what constitutes brewing for personal consumption.

Law-GAF may need to step in to correct me though

Oppo

tabacco smell is worse than pot smell

cities can legislate more smoking bans on patios, balconies, parks.

I am for more smoking bans on public spaces like restaurant patios.

But am also for weed legalization

think all this is already true in Ontario. in TO you technically can't smoke in a park, although never have i seen that actually enforced.

Places already limit vapers, they'll do the same with pot, I don't get why anyone would be complaining about this issue as if places don't already have plans

exactly

1 plant depending on the species can produce about 500g average..... Holy shit 4 plants per household?!

Canada keeps winning

this was my question. a "plant" can get really big, like a medium sized tree.

with that stipulation, how expensive can the provinces make it reallly? weed is pretty easy to grow overall. it's a... weed.

Rootbeer

Banned
Well done, Canada. Enjoy those extra tax dollars. Proud of my state of California for finally coming to fully embrace it as well.

big_z

I used to be all for legalizing it(Canadian) but after Trudeau used it a way to garner votes and some vape shops opened its skyrocketed in my area and become annoying beyond belief. If they do legalize it then I hope it comes with strict as fuck laws because right now its worse than when you could smoke cigs wherever you wanted.

Oppo

I used to be all for legalizing it(Canadian) but after Trudeau used it a way to garner votes and some vape shops opened its skyrocketed in my area and become annoying beyond belief. If they do legalize it then I hope it comes with strict as fuck laws because right now its worse than when you could smoke cigs wherever you wanted.

personally i find the thousands of nonviolent offenders having their lives ruined more annoying

personally i find the thousands of nonviolent offenders having their lives ruined more annoying

I totally agree that some aspects of the culture are annoying, and I don't personally like the smell.

Just feels super weird and out of touch to see people complaining about it being legalized, (tax dollars, non violent offenders) because it's annoying.

djkimothy

I'd place money on this not being allowed for public consumption, much like the no alcohol consumption in public laws

I don't mind that. I don't want to have dinner on the patio only for the air to smell like skunk. I'm sure the smoking ban in many cities will be extended to cannabis products in public places.

IISANDERII

Ugh I don't want to smell this
I do because it offers much safer pain relief than opioids so the more you smell, the fewer lives being ruined and wiped out. I think in North America, prescription medication overdoses claim over 100 lives per day.

So yeah, smelling it is such a small negative compared to huge potential net positive.

Anyway, smoking it is becoming a less and less popular way of consuming cannabis. You have vaporizers, vapes, and edibles that are extremely popular.

Vaporizers and vapes will eventually consign consumption away from smoking. Even vaporizers are essentially odorless.

The younguns especially are into all this new school delivery systems, and I do think it's pretty dope. N. Americans got it lucky.

In the UK, it's really looked down upon, and you're encouraged to drink, and not consume cannabis. It used to be real fucking headache getting decent shit in this this country.

Anyway, smoking it is becoming a less and less popular way of consuming cannabis. You have vaporizers, vapes, and edibles that are extremely popular.

Vaporizers and vapes will eventually consign consumption away from smoking. Even vaporizers are essentially odorless.

I think this is a good point, and legalizing will make all of the less stinky methods of consumption easier. I have a really hard time making edibles effectively, so this is exciting for me and my girlfriend, who only eats pot ! I'm a huge vape fan.

And I think it's pretty obvious that public consumption will be illegal, but it seems like there are people upset they will have to put up with others smoking it in their own home with the windows open ?

The above comment on opioids is especially relevant, because states which have legalized medical marijuana have seen a drop in opioid pain killer prescriptions. The medical system in Canada is an awful system designed by the conservative government because they were forced, and have never heard a positive thing from it from any of my friends who have tried, and articles I've read.

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-...ed-medicare-prescriptions-drop-for-many-drugs

Seems crazy that it's mental health scrips dropping as well.

*snip*

this was my question. a "plant" can get really big, like a medium sized tree.

with that stipulation, how expensive can the provinces make it reallly? weed is pretty easy to grow overall. it's a... weed.

Well from my experiences in Montreal at least is that the street value of 1 gram is $10 - where the amount will differ based upon the strain being purchased, for example if its a weak strain that doesn't get the job did in one joint then you could get 1.5-2 grams for your $10, but if its some dank shit its 1 gram for $10.

With that said, I expect the prices to increase by at least 20%-30% now that it is going to be taxed and regulated also due to costs such as logistics, marketing and distribution being passed onto the customers

People are celebrating, but I'm kind of wary about this. It's not like drinking, where it's easy to keep to yourself. I already live in a building where there's a guy on the second floor who's chronic. I walk through that cloud every day. It's one thing for me, I'm an adult, but what about kids? If you've got neighbours who are basically hotboxing our floor, what do you do? What if it's coming into your apartment? You can't opt out of it. I want to know what kind of control would even be possible in that situation.

People are celebrating, but I'm kind of wary about this. It's not like drinking, where it's easy to keep to yourself. I already live in a building where there's a guy on the second floor who's chronic. I walk through that cloud every day. It's one thing for me, I'm an adult, but what about kids? If you've got neighbours who are basically hotboxing our floor, what do you do? What if it's coming into your apartment? You can't opt out of it. I want to know what kind of control would even be possible in that situation.

This is still very early to say what the regulations will be but I can't imagine they will just ignore this part of it. I'm sure it will be addressed once the bill is finalized.

I don't see what's different about this and cigarette smoke.

Why would the rules for marijuana be different than those for tabacco ?

I know that I have a guy in my building who smokes cigarettes in his appartment, and I smell it if I take the stairs on the other side of the building. I actively avoid taking those stairs (the other ones are more convenient, and I don't pass him on the way to the elevator) but I would absolutely bring it up with the Landlord if I had to walk past this guy every day. It seriously ruins the hallway.

I just don't see how that's any different from the marijuana, and why people would be up in arms over this.

Because it makes you high? Inhaling a bunch of tobacco sucks, but it doesn't suddenly make it unsafe for you to drive to work. Second had DUIs are going to be an actual thing now.

I think landlords will have to step up no smoking rules.

I expect vape sales to sky rocket

I think this is a good point, and legalizing will make all of the less stinky methods of consumption easier. I have a really hard time making edibles effectively, so this is exciting for me and my girlfriend, who only eats pot ! I'm a huge vape fan.

And I think it's pretty obvious that public consumption will be illegal, but it seems like there are people upset they will have to put up with others smoking it in their own home with the windows open ?

The above comment on opioids is especially relevant, because states which have legalized medical marijuana have seen a drop in opioid pain killer prescriptions. The medical system in Canada is an awful system designed by the conservative government because they were forced, and have never heard a positive thing from it from any of my friends who have tried, and articles I've read.

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-...ed-medicare-prescriptions-drop-for-many-drugs

Seems crazy that it's mental health scrips dropping as well.

Exactly. Legalization will open the door to consume cannabis in far safer and less stinky ways, although I don't personally mind the smell.

Making edibles is pretty time consuming and not practical or convenient for most people, so it's just not done. But the demand for edibles in legalized states is off the charts. They couldn't keep up for quite a long time in Colorado.

Portable vaporizers and vapes are also brand new technologies. The vestigies of smoking cannabis is obviously massively present but that manner of consumption actually goes down in legalized states since edibles and marijuana e juice is also available.

Yeah, an ex, of mine only consumes edibles and they are easy to buy in NYC. Other American friends of mine who were chronic smokers of cannabis only use e pens and edibles now. I stopped smoking and only vaporize. I think that is my preferred method, although, I might've moved over to epens if getting quality ejuice was convenient and consistent, but since I live somewhere its illegal, that is not possible. You guys have it so much better.

The game is changing and smoking will become niche rather than the mainstream once we give legalization some time. For a first timer, vaporizing is a much less disgusting and easier manner of consumption.

The government of Ontario's gonna love that.

Wonder how this is going to go over with US border guards. Will they be able to bar someone from entry to the US for consuming a substance that is legal in Canada? Because right now they can bar you for simply admitting that you have smoked it in the past.

You'd have to be pretty stupid to try to pull the "but it's legal here!" card when dealing with border security or customs. When in doubt, try not to traffic drugs.

I know that I have a guy in my building who smokes cigarettes in his appartment, and I smell it if I take the stares on the other side of the building. I actively avoid taking those stares (the other ones are more convenient, and I don't pass him on the way to the elevator) but I would absolutely bring it up with the Landlord if I had to walk past this guy every day. It seriously ruins the hallway.

I just don't see how that's any different from the marijuana, and why people would be up in arms over this.

Tobacco Smoke is definitely harmful but doesn't come with the "impairing" aspects that weed does. That's what people with young kids in apartments will be worried about.

djkimothy

Tobacco Smoke is definitely harmful but doesn't come with the "impairing" aspects that weed does. That's what people with young kids in apartments will be worried about.

It may be up to the provinces to provide a solution for this. Or the discretion of the landlord. Besides, with the edible market opening up, people may opt to eat their cannabis rather than smoke it.

Hold up, second hand marijuana smoke can get someone high ? Through a door ? So far the only studies I've seen linked were showing that second hand smoke can lead to negative health effects by having rats actually inhale smoke, not so much the odour of a joint that was smoked an hour ago and has now permeated through the entire room, and into an apartment hallway.

There's gotta be a difference between the odour of weed and the actual smoke, right ?

I'd place money on this not being allowed for public consumption, much like the no alcohol consumption in public laws

Who knows? I have a medical license and I can smoke in places cigarette smokers can't (still outside, obviously).

It's also a lot harder to sneak a beer outside than it is to smoke a quick joint in an alley or something.

It may be up to the provinces to provide a solution for this. Or the discretion of the landlord. Besides, with the edible market opening up, people may opt to eat their cannabis rather than smoke it.

Agreed - prepare for a influx of Pot bakeries opening up in 2018 lol

Who knows? I have a medical license and I can smoke in places cigarette smokers can't (still outside, obviously).

It's also a lot harder to sneak a beer outside than it is to smoke a quick joint in an alley or something.

This is very true, but I still think that use for medical reasons will be way more lenient than typical consumption. As you would be treating an ailment as compared to just using it for a recreational purpose.

Hold up, second hand marijuana smoke can get someone high ? Through a door ? So far the only studies I've seen linked were showing that second hand smoke can lead to negative health effects by having rats actually inhale smoke, not so much the odour of a joint that was smoked an hour ago and has now permeated through the entire room.

There's gotta be a difference between the odour of weed and the actual smoke, right ?

There's a wide gap between the good science we have on tobacco smoke and the good science we have on marijuana. Remember that two year period when everyone was claiming that vaping was safe?

I think for sanitary/smell reasons alone, it will be banned from most public venues that already ban cigarettes, almost anyplace with children, and most apartment complexes (indoors).

Kurdel

Banned
Making edibles is pretty time consuming and not practical or convenient for most people, so it's just not done. But the demand for edibles in legalized states is off the charts. They couldn't keep up for quite a long time in Colorado.

If you can buy already made thc cooking oil, that is the game changer.

Making your own oil takes so much weed and a lot of effort.

Hold up, second hand marijuana smoke can get someone high ? Through a door ? So far the only studies I've seen linked were showing that second hand smoke can lead to negative health effects by having rats actually inhale smoke, not so much the odour of a joint that was smoked an hour ago and has now permeated through the entire room, and into an apartment hallway.

I've been smoking weed in the same house as my wife who has never touched the stuff for ~11 years now and she's has never gotten a contact high. That includes the times she sits right next to me when I smoke.

I know the plural of anecdote isn't evidence, but there are some people in here who are maybe misinformed about the likelihood of somebody getting a high from second hand smoke.

djkimothy

Would cooking with THC oil survive the cooking process? You'd think being a drug chemist I'd know this but i'm not versed in the thermal stability of THC. Maybe be used as a dressing like extra virgin olive oil?

Would cooking with THC oil survive the cooking process? You'd think being a drug chemist I'd know this but i'm not versed in the thermal stability of THC. Maybe be used as a dressing like extra virgin olive oil?

Cook it with oils or fats, which absorb the THC

Most people make a butter out of it first, then cook with that.

I've been smoking weed in the same house as my wife who has never touched the stuff for ~11 years now and she's has never gotten a contact high. That includes the times she sits right next to me when I smoke.

I know the plural of anecdote isn't evidence, but there are some people in here who are maybe misinformed about the likelihood of somebody getting a high from second hand smoke.

I know, my girlfriend occasionally eats marijuana and we've lived together for the last two years, with me being a pretty constant smoker and she's never gotten a contact high, and didn't even try eating it for the first year of our relationship. She hates the smell of it, but doesn't seem to feel like the apartment smells like pot, but she could be used to it. I never exhale smoke into the apartment.

Like you said, totally anecdotal, but I feel like there's something there.

Edit: for the above poster, THC vaporizes at a certain temperature, so if you're using THC oils for baking, you just have to make sure your oven stays below that temperature. I've ruined a few batches of brownies by following the temp on the box of brownies, which was like 100 degrees hotter than it apparantly should have been, and probably neutralized most of the THC.

Kurdel

Banned

I maybe have the wrong tem in english, but there are thc cooking oils and butter for pastries other stuff.

You don't just add marijuana nuggets in a brownie mix and call it a day, you need to make THC cooking oil first.

enhanced-13047-1415743148-8.jpg

Yup, and you can in legalized states right? I know my friends in the states have sources for really quality stuff.

There are ways of aquiring it even here, but the quality is poor. Because the first time you consume cannabis in through a new delivery system it is more potent, so you don't notice the low potency of it in reality.

I actually aquired some very very high quality wax and ordered some solution that lets you boil any concentrate into it to make you own ejuice. It was very very potent lol. Combined with the extra potency of a new delivery system it was actually too potent. But it was also incredible just walking through the city hitting it no one being the wiser. Problem is, going through those steps to create the e juice is just quite a hassle so I did it once time which lasted for a while, and never again.

E pens and e juice are a big deal, and legalized places I imagine will be readily available. It's pretty depressing thinking how backwards the attitude towards cannabis is over here in the UK. It won't happen in my life time.

inner-G

Banned

It's fat and alcohol soluble. It needs to be in one of those for your body to absorb it effectively. You typically heat the material to around 200F for around an hour to decarboxylate it before adding it into the solvent. (Decarboxylation converts THCA into THC so it will work on your human body.)

It's easy to infuse into butters, oils, etc. Many people out here on the left coast are putting it into coconut oil. It can easily be put into capsules or cooked with. (Coconut oil has a lot of saturated fat which makes the THC the most bio-available)

This YT channel has some great tutorials/recipes for easy edibles: https://www.youtube.com/user/RuffHouseStudios/featured

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
Because it makes you high? Inhaling a bunch of tobacco sucks, but it doesn't suddenly make it unsafe for you to drive to work. Second had DUIs are going to be an actual thing now.

Contact high is a myth, though. Doesn't happen. All the THC etc is absorbed by your body in like three seconds upon inhalation.

jstripes

Banned
You'd have to be pretty stupid to try to pull the "but it's legal here!" card when dealing with border security or customs. When in doubt, try not to traffic drugs.

I'm not even talking about trafficking. People get barred simply by references to smoking weed being on their social media.

JimiNutz

Banned
maybe they can make am unstinky strain... i really hope so since that stuff is annoying.

just make smoking weed in general looked down on as cigarette smoking already is..! none of that is good for your lungs anyway!

Once it's legal you start to see many other weed products such as edibles, drinks, inhalers etc so technically you don't actually have to smoke anything to get high - the high is arguably better when you eat it anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom