• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canada: marijuana to be legal by July 1, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prax

Once it's legal you start to see many other weed products such as edibles, drinks, inhalers etc so technically you don't actually have to smoke anything to get high - the high is arguably better when you eat it anyway.

Yeah, that's obvious.
I am just against smoking. I don't like air pollutants in general. Even strong scents from perfumes make me nuts.

I know other forms of weed/THC use exist. I hope those become a lot more popular, so people can just have weed vitamins or weed energy drinks/frappes etc. lol Max weed hipsterism is fine as long as it doesn't turn into expanded incenses and smoke use. Weed scented candles. Amazing.

USA is a joke of a country. Compared to Canada. It will be decades before they legalize marijuana.

Ok, but America is a decade+ away from legalizing it nationwide. You can't compare states to provinces either as if here were an equal number for each

More people live under legal marijuana jurisdiction in the US than the entire population of Canada, so even after this passes the US will still have the highest population of citizens with legal weed. In my state in the US (Oregon) there are at least 10 marijuana shops within a 10 minute drive of where I live. So while we may have ridiculous federal drug laws, to say the US is a joke is a little short sighted considering it's also the US government that has made it possible for places in the US to be ahead of the rest of the world on this issue.

Pomerlaw

I'm ok with this, if they regulate it like cigarettes in public places.

Also, some people should be a little more wary of the health consequences of smoking pot. There are risks but for some it is a miraculous herb that cures everything... give me a break.

inner-G

Banned
More people live under legal marijuana jurisdiction in the US than the entire population of Canada, so even after this passes the US will still have the highest population of citizens with legal weed. In my state in the US (Oregon) there are at least 10 marijuana shops within a 10 minute drive of where I live. So while we may have ridiculous federal drug laws, to say the US is a joke is a little short sighted considering it's also the US government that has made it possible for places in the US to be ahead of the rest of the world on this issue.
No one in the US lives where cannabis is federally legal.

States' 'legal' cannabis here is still federally illegal, hence our canna-businesses can't do proper banking, etc. Canada will be totally above the board.

States' 'legal' cannabis here is still federally illegal, hence our canna-businesses can't do proper banking, etc. Canada will be totally above the board.

Your technicality doesn't change the fact that I can walk to the corner store and buy weed without getting busted so I fail to see why I should make that distinction. It's legal within state borders.

I'm not even talking about trafficking. People get barred simply by references to smoking weed being on their social media.

Wow, is that true? Even with it still being federally illegal with so many states legalizing it, and with Canada joining in, you'd think this kinda thing will stop.

Any chance this eventually makes it illegal for companies to test their employees for marijuana use?

I imagine it's a given. No one can give you shit for hitting happy hour the day before as long as you come it. And considering thc's tenacity in your system, it would be a total crapshoot for 'stop and frisk' investigations.

Yuuup. That shit is going to be overpriced as hell here. Wouldn't want a reasonably priced alternative to alcohol, would we?

Also, as someone who is unfamiliar with growing it, just how much is 4 plants? It's that enough to have a steady cycle of growing your own and consuming it regularly and always having some ready to grow?

Absolutely....

4 Autoflowers for example, 2 month harvest time = at least 4oz per harvest if things go well.

That's enough for anyone to be permastoned for 2 months or more while they wait on next harvest.

Although personally I would grow 2 at a time, 4 plants will draw a good amount of power and mixing nutrients for 4 plants and maintaining them sounds very annoying...

djkimothy

Wow, is that true? Even with it still being federally illegal with so many states legalizing it, and with Canada joining in, you'd think this kinda thing will stop.

Working for the CBSA. You forfeit your rights as soon as you approach the customs booth. Just dont give them a reason to place you into secondary.

Apathy

You'd have to be pretty stupid to try to pull the "but it's legal here!" card when dealing with border security or customs. When in doubt, try not to traffic drugs.

I'm not even talking about trafficking. People get barred simply by references to smoking weed being on their social media.

this was from last year, http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/pot-border-banned-waiver-1.3752278

Don't believe it for a second.

With the Trudeau Government seemingly having broken almost every other major promise, they need this to have a chance of reelection. It's also gotten the most attention worldwide, so if he doesn't fall through on it, it will be public and the backlash will be huge.

It's going to happen, and by doing so it will be what he uses to fuel his reelection.

I would also argue that it should be left to the states as opposed to being a federal law.

Can't they do banking on state banks? What am I missing?

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
Never really thought about it, but in full legal states in the US or this proposed Canada, can you drive while high or is it a DUI?

Might as well be, I used to blaze on the streets and no one batted an eye.

i was blazing on the street once and a cop car was staring right at me. then it did a U-turn and parked in front of the gay bar across the street instead of driving away.

i was freaked the fuck out.

i was blazing on the street once and a cop car was staring right at me. then it did a U-turn and parked in front of the gay bar across the street instead of driving away.

i was freaked the fuck out.

Worst I got was a "Cut it out". So I put it out. Walked a block. And lit it again.

Apathy

It's crazy that people spout that bullshit with actual sources like that existing. I post it on my FB quite often considering I live in midwestern Ontario where my vote is dead and the county is blue as can be.

When people want the libs to fail, reality doesn't stand in their way of their truth. Both staunch NDP and Conservative supporters have this same mindset, it's one of the few things they agree on.

People, instead of being ideologues, should be realists and live here with the rest of us who can admit when good things happen, fault them when really bad things happen and realize the world is somewhere in the middle

Doran902

I want this to be true but part of me thinks it is them trying to shut up all the hate they are getting for Electoral Reform.

seemingly having broken almost every other promise

I guess I should have been more specific... Seemingly having broken every other major promise.

- Electoral Reform
- Bill C-51 (They haven't even begun to touch it like they said they would and Trudeau has been silent on it
- Deficit spending 30b more than it was suppose to be (Granted i'm in favour of this as long as it goes towards the right things but his opponents will use it against him)
- They half assed Assisted Dying by ignoring the intent of the court and what committee said
- Infrastructure Spending as of the latest budget was pretty underwhelming and we still have little to no information on the Infrastructure Bank.

All this on top of some shady business like Cash for Access and how obvious it is that his government wants Bill S-201 to fail. Granted these aren't promises but his government did promise to not behave like the previous Conservatives did and those two fall under that promise.

Of course, all of this granted that he still has 2 years left for him to pass/fail on other major promises.

When people want the libs to fail, reality doesn't stand in their way of their truth. Both staunch NDP and Conservative supporters have this same mindset, it's one of the few things they agree on.

People, instead of being ideologues, should be realists and live here with the rest of us who can admit when good things happen, fault them when really bad things happen and realize the world is somewhere in the middle

Oh please Apathy, I voted for Trudeau to become leader of the Liberal Party. I wanted to vote for him in the last election but I had to vote NDP in my riding to keep the Conservative candidate from winning (and it worked). However Trudeau has outright dropped the ball or broken it on some pretty major promises.

While I agree this is a good and long needed step.

Cartels are salivating at the idea of a lax patrolled border country with legalized marijuana and ease of import compared to the southern border.

Which is why everywhere needs to follow suit.

LOLCats

Banned
Yup. If they're not careful, illegal trade in it may become an even bigger problem, like with contraband cigarettes.

This was thought to happen in legal US states, but it never happened, prices were high at the beginning. But now, its cheaper than the black market ever was and higher quality with better testing.

LOLCats

Banned

Cartels are salivating at the idea of a lax patrolled border country with legalized marijuana and ease of import compared to the southern border.

No one buys cartel weed where it is legal. Cartel weed cant compete with legal cannabis. Problem is cartels are pushing heroin now.

No one buys cartel weed where it is legal. Cartel weed cant compete with legal cannabis. Problem is cartels are pushing heroin now.

I think he means cartels would grow in Canada and import to the US states where it's illegal because it would be easier than importing from Mexico. But with that logic they could just grow in a legal state and have no border restrictions so that argument doesn't really make sense.

smart. that was a cop that came up to you though? i'm surprised they didn't make sure it was out of your hands.

Toronto cops tend to be rather easy going. I mean. I've gotten shit for random no reason shit too, and one had the gall to ask me if I was part of a gang after a bad altercation. By and by, they're rather lenient.

Apathy

I guess I should have been more specific... Seemingly having broken every other major promise.

- Electoral Reform
- They haven't even begun to touch Bill C-51 like they said they would and Trudeau has been silent on it
- They half assed Assisted Dying by ignoring the intent of the court and what committee said
- Deficit spending multitudes more than it was originally suppose to be (and I'm typically all for deficit spending)
- Infrastructure Spending as of the latest budget was pretty underwhelming as well

All this on top of some shady business like Cash for Access and how obvious it is that his government wants Bill S-201 to fail.

Oh please Apathy, I voted for Trudeau to become leader of the Liberal Party. I wanted to vote for him in the last election but I had to vote NDP in my riding to keep the Conservative candidate from winning (and it worked). However Trudeau has outright dropped the ball or broken it on some pretty major promises.
Again, when presented with actual facts about his performance, you want to to move goal posts from your original statement. Face it, the libs could have mandated that everyone in the country gets free ice cream and you'd be complaining that they didn't get your favorite flavor.

inner-G

Banned
Can't they do banking on state banks? What am I missing?

Any FDIC-backed bank is prohibited from doing business with them

Your technicality doesn't change the fact that I can walk to the corner store and buy weed without getting busted so I fail to see why I should make that distinction. It's legal within state borders.
So can I. That it's functionally just a technicality to us doesn't change the fact that Canada will have true federal legalization and we won't.

Businesses and schools here can't get funds to properly study schedule I substances. These businesses can't properly bank, they have to be cash-only and have problems doing their payrolls. It's illegal to ship cannabis products or even seeds. There is constant hesitation and trepidation in business dealings.

There are a melange of ongoing difficulties directly due to federal prohibition across the entire US.

Ekdrm2d1

I'm ok with this, if they regulate it like cigarettes in public places.

Also, some people should be a little more wary of the health consequences of smoking pot. There are risks but for some it is a miraculous herb that cures everything... give me a break.

Something neee to be done about litter.

inner-G

Banned
I can't imagine even a hot box of historical proportions could get someone even the mildest buzz.

Depends.

Exhaled second-hand smoke, not so much, but 'hot boxing' the plant on hot coals inside prayer tents and engulfing themselves in the smoke is how ancients may have induced religious visions.

Depends.

Exhaled second-hand smoke, not so much, but 'hot boxing' the plant on hot coals inside prayer tents and engulfing themselves in the smoke is how ancients may have induced religious visions.

And who's gonna do that in public? And did they have pipes? And 'religious visions' aren't a thing with thc. About the greatest hallucinogenic effect is time dilation.

Any FDIC-backed bank is prohibited from doing business with them

So can I. That it's functionally just a technicality to us doesn't change the fact that Canada will have true federal legalization and we won't.

Businesses and schools here can't get funds to properly study schedule I substances. These businesses can't properly bank, they have to be cash-only and have problems doing their payrolls. It's illegal to ship cannabis products or even seeds. There is constant hesitation and trepidation in business dealings.

There are a melange of ongoing difficulties directly due to federal prohibition across the entire US.

I agree it needs to be federally legalized but it doesn't change the fact that it is legal in those states.

I don't understand what your point is here. All I said was that more US citizens live in jurisdictions where marijuana is legal than the population of Canada. And that's true. I'm not saying it doesn't need to be federally legalized.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom