• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming "Deals" and Discussion Thread 6: Sorry, We Can't Afford a New Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

iLLmAtlc

My mgsv shipped, vancouver. Estimated for sept 2 on the track package page, sept 1 on orders page. Hoping former is a mistake tho because it said it left the amazon facility at 9pm tonight?

Also hopeful because it was 2 day shipping.

Oh well I'll see what CP says

Parapraxis

You are guaranteed to get it on launch day if you are a prime member. If you don't get it at launch for whatever reason (usually Canada Post's fault), you can contact them and they will either extend your membership for an extra month or give you a $10 credit.

Thanks.

Dazzler

said it before, but purposely sitting on a product for the guts of a week because you didn't pick a pricier shipping option is scummy as fuck on amazon's part

I mean, send it by the cheapest, shittiest shipping option possible, but send it on release day.

It doesn't cost them anything extra

Dot-N-Run

NEW DEAL (In case it wasn't posted already)

Amazon.ca has a new sale going on:

enter VGPREORDER

at checkout for 10% off pre-orders. Deal ends on August 30.

Also, note that on the individual pre-order pages for the games themselves, it's showing the incorrect information and is showing the previous sale. I've already let their CS know about the mistake. lol

http://www.amazon.ca/b/ref=amb_link...d_t=201&pf_rd_p=2186396542&pf_rd_i=B00ZSEKVKC

Guess I should take this chance to preorder Zero Escape 3, as I still can't find it on the Best Buy site.

On a related note however, the equivalent 10% off preorders at Best Buy seems to also be applying to special editions, like the Disco Fever edition for Persona 4 Dancing All Night. Don't they usually not do that?

Luigi87

Call them, I updated mine today.

Just did so. 20 minutes on hold, lol, but at least it is done.

I'll need to do that again in the future for my KH3 order @_@

The funny thing is, back in November I had to call them to change the CC on this order because the expiry date was past, so I switched it to my Target REDcard... Wellllllllllllll...

kevin1025

Banned
Went to a couple of The Source stores and managed to take advantage of the clearance sale on games. Picked up Max Payne 3 (PS3), Motorstorm Apocalypse (PS3) and Assassin's Creed III for $0.96 each, and Lego Harry Potter Years 5-7 (Vita) and Watch Dogs (PS4) for $4.96 each. Pretty wild, individual stores don't seem to have much stock but mall locations have plenty of games for cheap!

Apathy

So according to Amazon Customer service I'm waiting an extra week or two because I picked free shipping. Did you guys pay extra for release date shipping or something? Best Buy got their games on release day to me for free, why not Amazon?

Transcript:

Amazon's free shipping has gone to shit ever since Prime and their big push on that. I will no longer get the free shipping on something I want anywhere near a release date, not after waiting a full week for the last of us remastered. I do have to do the math and make sure it'll be cheaper than getting it at a store, but it really eats into the E3 30% off sale savings.

khaaan

GAF, please advise.

I went to the Source to see if I could snag some of dat sweet Donkey Kong and Kirby goodness but when I got there the gaming section was pretty much non existent. I'm guessing they either sent most things to a different location or really just ended up selling out.

Anyway, I'm browsing and nothing really catches my eye until I look up at the consoles*. In a nutshell, I walk out with a Vita Borderlands Bundle ($150) and DS Lite ($110). I don't know why I bought the Vita. I already have a Vita + 64 GB card and even the hunk of junk that is PSTV. I don't know why I bought the DS Lite. My DS Lite isn't great because the shoulder buttons wore out but I have a 3DS (i.e. backwards compatability) and there will be plenty of 3DS's littered on the market for at least a few more years.

Both devices are still sealed, I made sure they weren't final sale, I'm somewhat sure I'm going to return at least one of them...I just want perspectives :(

*For anyone that might care, they had $410 PS4 base model. I would have considered it if I didn't have a PS4 since I already have TLoU. I think they also had comparable deals on Xbones w/w.o Kinect which I recall someone in this thread looking for. YMMV.

kevin1025

Banned
GAF, please advise.

I went to the Source to see if I could snag some of dat sweet Donkey Kong and Kirby goodness but when I got there the gaming section was pretty much non existent. I'm guessing they either sent most things to a different location or really just ended up selling out.

Anyway, I'm browsing and nothing really catches my eye until I look up at the consoles*. In a nutshell, I walk out with a Vita Borderlands Bundle ($150) and DS Lite ($110). I don't know why I bought the Vita. I already have a Vita + 64 GB card and even the hunk of junk that is PSTV. I don't know why I bought the DS Lite. My DS Lite isn't great because the shoulder buttons wore out but I have a 3DS (i.e. backwards compatability) and there will be plenty of 3DS's littered on the market for at least a few more years.

Both devices are still sealed, I made sure they weren't final sale, I'm somewhat sure I'm going to return at least one of them...I just want perspectives :(

*For anyone that might care, they had $410 PS4 base model. I would have considered it if I didn't have a PS4 since I already have TLoU. I think they also had comparable deals on Xbones w/w.o Kinect which I recall someone in this thread looking for. YMMV.

I guess it depends on if you want to have a handheld for a very, very long time. You will always have a spare in case something crazy happens! Given the problems you mentioned with your original DS Lite, it sounds worthwhile that you got a new one, especially if you play a lot of GBA games or plan to one day. The Vita, though, it sounds like you're covered. But as I mentioned before, a spare won't be so bad, but if it was more of an impulse buy and it was not final sale, maybe return it!

cocopuffs

Banned
Amazon order for MGSV still hasn't shipped (Toronto resident, Prime 2-day shipping) but not really worried, was just hoping it would come before release-day but that doesn't look like it's going to happen.

My Arkham Knight order came on release-day so guessing it'll be the same here.

N° 2048

Amazon order for MGSV still hasn't shipped (Toronto resident, Prime 2-day shipping) but not really worried, was just hoping it would come before release-day but that doesn't look like it's going to happen.

My Arkham Knight order came on release-day so guessing it'll be the same here.

Amazon doesn't want to give it to us early :<

Copies shipped from Ontario today, so if ours shipped today as well we'd get it Monday but they didn't. (Toronto here too)

Stage On

Thinking of getting the PS4 Metal gear bundle on September 1rst. Anyone know where I can get a cheap copy of Ground Zeros to go with it?

Stage On

I saw it for $4.96 at The Source today, but for that price it may be tough to track down in certain locations.

The worst part is I can't even find the game listed on their website anymore which means I can't use the inventory tracker feature to see if one of the stores in my area has a copy or not

kevin1025

Banned
Is GZ gone from ps+ already?

Unfortunately it is, it was part of June.

The worst part is I can't even find the game listed on their website anymore which means I can't use the inventory tracker feature to see if one of the stores in my area has a copy or not

I was told by two different stores that because of the games being clearance the website doesn't list them properly or won't at all because of how fast stock would be moving. I don't know if that's true, though. I was in three of Source stores today and saw it in two of the three, it seems like the bigger stores, like those in large shopping centres and such, have a lot more stock and a lot more of a chance to have the game. It wouldn't hurt to maybe phone, though, you might get a cool person who can hold onto it for you until you get there.

Stage On

Unfortunately it is, it was part of June.

I was told by two different stores that because of the games being clearance the website doesn't list them properly or won't at all because of how fast stock would be moving. I don't know if that's true, though. I was in three of Source stores today and saw it in two of the three, it seems like the bigger stores, like those in large shopping centres and such, have a lot more stock and a lot more of a chance to have the game. It wouldn't hurt to maybe phone, though, you might get a cool person who can hold onto it for you until you get there.

It's after 9pm so the stores are already closed for the night which means calling them is out of the cards for tonight :/

Oh man you're a lifesavor Trace.

Go figure, Murphies law means their isn't one in stock in Oakville. Burlington has them and wouldn't you know I was just at those malls yesterday for a Job fair. Too bad I didn't know about the ps4 bundle then which caused me to miss out.

Getting a ride that far out so soon after the last one is going to be tricky. Why does my timing always have to suck so much for things like this?

SRG01

Anyone know of any MGSV:TPP deals in Canada for PC? GMG doesn't seem to have any coupons and paying full price on Steam is pretty painful with the Canadian dollar at where it is these days :(

Stage On

If you've got a decent PC I've got a spare code from pre-ordering TPP.

Funny enough according to the specs my Computer could run it if I wanted.

Thank you for your consideration but I would rather stick with getting the console version. The entire appeal of this ps4 bundle I'm think of getting is that it'll come with a copy of the Phantom Pain so I'll finally be able to get a system that will actually come with a game I'm interested in. PC saves of Ground Zeros aren't cross compatible with PS4 so I'd miss out on the bonus stuff that carries.

Anyone know of any MGSV:TPP deals in Canada for PC? GMG doesn't seem to have any coupons and paying full price on Steam is pretty painful with the Canadian dollar at where it is these days :(

Green man gaming has a 22% off code right now
PAYDAY-22PERC-OFFNOW

20%
GRAB20-PEROFF-NOWGMG

Ryne

I don't use GMG as much anymore because I can't seem to figure out how to change the prices to CAD. Usually the coupons don't save much after conversion so I don't even bother.

killroy87

I don't use GMG as much anymore because I can't seem to figure out how to change the prices to CAD. Usually the coupons don't save much after conversion so I don't even bother.

it usually still gets you a bit of a discount. MGS is $75 CAD on Steam, but busing the 22% off $59 USD ends up making it about $62 CAD when all is said and done

khaaan

I guess it depends on if you want to have a handheld for a very, very long time. You will always have a spare in case something crazy happens! Given the problems you mentioned with your original DS Lite, it sounds worthwhile that you got a new one, especially if you play a lot of GBA games or plan to one day. The Vita, though, it sounds like you're covered. But as I mentioned before, a spare won't be so bad, but if it was more of an impulse buy and it was not final sale, maybe return it!

I completely forgot about the GBA port :O
That might make it worthwhile to keep around. I think you're right about the Vita though, doesn't seem like it serves much purpose outside of being a backup...thanks for the help!

kevin1025

Banned
Are you sure it was $5? The site still has it listed at $10.

It was, both stores had the yellow $4.96 sticker on the PS4 copies. I'm thinking it might be a store clearance price versus the online clearance price.

I completely forgot about the GBA port :O
That might make it worthwhile to keep around. I think you're right about the Vita though, doesn't seem like it serves much purpose outside of being a backup...thanks for the help!

No problem, can never go wrong with a GBA port!

Harusame

So absolutely no one is doing a midnight launch for MGS? What the heck.

Yeah. My ebgames said that even though there was a decent amount of preorders, there just wasn't much reason to do a midnight launch. They were considering an early morning launch, but they didn't have enough hours.

FrsDvl

Well maybe if it came from Richmond it would arrive too early

That's probably exactly what it is. As much as it doesn't make sense to ship it from those locations, if you chose 2 day shipping there'd be no way you'd get it in 1 day. So no one would get it early.

I'm curious where mine ships from with 1 day shipping.

Big Chungus

My MGSV hasnt shipped from Best Buy yet..

Anyone know if I could just buy a copy of the game on the 1st then return the copy I get in the mail?

FrsDvl

My MGSV hasnt shipped from Best Buy yet..

Anyone know if I could just buy a copy of the game on the 1st then return the copy I get in the mail?

They more than likely will ship it Sunday, that seems to be their thing.
And yeah, you definitely can!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom