• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming "Deals" and Discussion Thread 6: Sorry, We Can't Afford a New Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miutsu

I was just reading a thread about monitors and the consensus is that you want to buy one in-store. If there's a dead pixel you'll have to ship it back to the retailer or deal with the manufacturer, which is a nuisance in both cases.

Get one from Costco or even Best Buy: they have good return policies.

Solid advice, thanks!

I just realized that Australian Dollar is almost on par with Canadian Dollar.

Now I wish the thread title made a joke about that lol.

Ahh what the heck, this title is BRILLIANT! Great thread BTW!

kinger

I just got Amazon Prime. Is there a way to change my E3 preorders shipping methods to the Prime speed? Is it simply just changing shipping speed on edit order to priority or would I have to call in?
(You can get a CSR to do it through live chat if you don't want to call.)

FrsDvl

Where might one find the PC Diablo 3 expansion at a good price these days? I'm not too keen on dropping $40 USD on it :lol

If you aren't in a rush, rumours are that blizzard is gonna announce a new Expansion at blizzcon, which probably means you'll be able to get the current one for a better price.

23qwerty

I just realized that Australian Dollar is almost on par with Canadian Dollar.

Now I wish the thread title made a joke about that lol.

Ahh what the heck, this title is BRILLIANT! Great thread BTW!

The australian dollar is pretty much always on par with the canadian dollar

Renewed

Pffft, I don't remember if Legend of Legacy was apart of the E3 promo. I can see myself biting for full price but I told myself I'd wait for Devil Survivor 2: Record Breaker to come down a bit first. Woe is me...

Subbed as a new CanadaGAF member!

I'm in the market for a new monitor, would it be better to buy it through GamesForCanada instead? Quebec taxes hurt the wallet a bit.

Pro-tips:

1. NCIX/Newegg only charge you 5% GST
2. Amazon charges you the full QST 14.75%
3. NCIX has a zero pixel policy if you buy their warranty plan
4. Amazon has a relaxed return policy so no plan needed

Buying used, you can get the best deal, but it really depends how old/new you want to go. tons of ~23" IPS panels for relatively cheap these days, but 144hz or GSYNC/Freesync gamer displays go for a lot more.

AzerPhire

Where might one find the PC Diablo 3 expansion at a good price these days? I'm not too keen on dropping $40 USD on it :lol

Staples has it for $19.99 on clearance. I picked it up a month ago and they also had 25% on clearance so I was able to get it for $15. When you look for it do t just check the PC games section look for the clearance area.

Miutsu

Pro-tips:

1. NCIX/Newegg only charge you 5% GST
2. Amazon charges you the full QST 14.75%
3. NCIX has a zero pixel policy if you buy their warranty plan
4. Amazon has a relaxed return policy so no plan needed

Buying used, you can get the best deal, but it really depends how old/new you want to go. tons of ~23" IPS panels for relatively cheap these days, but 144hz or GSYNC/Freesync gamer displays go for a lot more.

For the moment I'm just looking for a regular 23-24" 1080p / 60hz IPS monitor for overall use, I plan to replace it in one-two years with a beefy gsync monitor but until then something like this will work out fine.

Really didn't know NCIX/Newegg only charged the GST, that will sway a lot of my future purchases from Amazon even though I like a lot their customer service (at least from my experience with US Amazon).

Edit: This is the monitor I was looking into after doing some research:
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-monitor-vs239hp

Ventara

Eh, I don't like the thread title. We had lots of good titles suggested, too. Doesn't really make sense either since we have a new thread.

Battlefield Hardline just won't drop below that 45 dollar mark eh

Well then I have some news for you

Went to go pick up Destiny for XBOne (this way none of my friends will see me play the game. I am a sad husk of a human being) and they had Hardline for $39.99 at EB Games.

I wouldn't recommend it at that price on PC. But on consoles there seems to be a really active playerbase. If you like BF a lot then it's worth it. Take this from someone who bought the game for 67 fucking dollars on GMG and played the shit out of it to justify paying that much.

ohlawd

Pffft, I don't remember if Legend of Legacy was apart of the E3 promo. I can see myself biting for full price but I told myself I'd wait for Devil Survivor 2: Record Breaker to come down a bit first. Woe is me...

it was at Best Buy but you know, only 20%

For the moment I'm just looking for a regular 23-24" 1080p / 60hz IPS monitor for overall use, I plan to replace it in one-two years with a beefy gsync monitor but until then something like this will work out fine.

Really didn't know NCIX/Newegg only charged the GST, that will sway a lot of my future purchases from Amazon even though I like a lot their customer service (at least from my experience with US Amazon).

One downside is that the tax situation I forgot mention is completely dependant on your province. I mean, if either of them have a home base in your province you could be paying full tax regardless. In Quebec, the situation I mentioned is how it works, dunno about west.

And PartPicker is awesome, as you've discovered.

No idea about the particular monitor you have in mind. If you're just going regular monitor it's hard to really screw it up.

Madouu

Uh looks like my pana st50 gave up after three years of life, 8 blinking red lights. This really sucks as I'm not looking to buy a new tv any time soon.

A follow-up on this as I know a lot of people bought panasonic st/ut50 units at the time when it was by far the model with the best quality/price ratio so it might interest some.

Turns out my girlfriend had gotten a futureshop (rip) 4 years warranty along with the TV, which funnily enough, I considered to be a big waste of money at the time. Anyway, I called up bestbuy and after dealing with their geeksquad line for what was probably a total of 2 hours (which included a lot of waiting only to speak to an employee that would transfer you to the "appropriate" department and then the line just hanging up afterwards) I finally managed to get an appointment with someone to come and check the TV.

Technician came this morning and he knew exactly what the issue was from the description I gave them on the line (led blinking 8 times). Came in, replaced the SS board on the TV and everything is now working like a charm. From talking to him, apparently this is a very common issue with this particular model of panasonics and it stems from the fact that the screws on the board were just not tightened enough. Guy said the TV should last for 5 more years with this, hope he is right.

Hope this helps someone somewhere.

N° 2048

A follow-up on this as I know a lot of people bought panasonic st/ut50 units at the time when it was by far the model with the best quality/price ratio so it might interest some.

Turns out my girlfriend had gotten a futureshop (rip) 4 years warranty along with the TV, which funnily enough, I considered to be a big waste of money at the time. Anyway, I called up bestbuy and after dealing with their geeksquad line for what was probably a total of 2 hours (which included a lot of waiting only to speak to an employee that would transfer you to the "appropriate" department and then the line just hanging up afterwards) I finally managed to get an appointment with someone to come and check the TV.

Technician came this morning and he knew exactly what the issue was from the description I gave them on the line (led blinking 8 times). Came in, replaced the SS board on the TV and everything is now working like a charm. From talking to him, apparently this is a very common issue with this particular model of panasonics and it stems from the fact that the screws on the board were just not tightened enough. Guy said the TV should last for 5 more years with this, hope he is right.

Those warranties are pretty awesome, IMO. I paid like $130 for four years warranty and my TV died about 3 years later. The part they needed was old and not made anymore so they said, "Find a way to get the TV to the shop and you can walk out with a new one."

Went it, guy showed me the eligible TVs I was allowed to take home, grabbed it + renewed warranty.

theRizzle

Hope this helps someone somewhere.

Thanks for posting this. I have an ST50 also so I'm going to keep this in mind for the future... Although I moved across the country and left the TV with my dad since I was paranoid that it would get broken in the move because I didn't have any of the packaging anymore. Going from that ST50 to a $599 Insignia LED was a huge bummer.

While I was visiting him this summer, I was actually very surprised to see that the image retention seems to have gotten WAY worse since I was using it. He claims to barely ever use it and I had it on for 6-18 hours a day usually so that might be why. I left the PS4 menu on for less than 5 minutes and the IR was the worst I'd ever seen on that TV.

Parch

Canada still has libraries? And more importantly, ones with video games available for rent?
Reminds me to check out the new library that opened in my neighborhood. Apparently they had a ton of games and comics stashed away in storage because they didn't have the space to display. I'm hoping the new library has a nice stash of 360 games to exploit.

Conceptor

If you aren't in a rush, rumours are that blizzard is gonna announce a new Expansion at blizzcon, which probably means you'll be able to get the current one for a better price.
I might not be able to wait until then, but I appreciate your help :)

Staples has it for $19.99 on clearance. I picked it up a month ago and they also had 25% on clearance so I was able to get it for $15. When you look for it do t just check the PC games section look for the clearance area.
Hope I get lucky. Thanks for the heads up

Ondore

NEW DEAL

Amazon: If paying with a Visa debit card (TD, among others, uses them), using code VDEBIT10 at checkout of a $40+ order will get you a $10 credit when the order ships.

Valid until August 31 or until 30,000 people claim it. Limited to 1 per account.

zroid

Banned
NEW DEAL

Amazon: If paying with a Visa debit card (TD, among others, uses them), using code VDEBIT10 at checkout of a $40+ order will get you a $10 credit when the order ships.

Valid until August 31 or until 30,000 people claim it. Limited to 1 per account.

feeling nostalgic

Jinto

NEW DEAL

I was just about to make a purchase on Amazon already, so thanks for this.

Madouu

Canada still has libraries? And more importantly, ones with video games available for rent?

Actually, a new library has just opened here in saint laurent (Montreal) and it's really cool. It's very modern and you can borrow all kind of things including video games.

I wish you could somehow borrow consoles though, I need to get a hold of a ps3 to play Ni No Kuni but I can't justify the cost of buying one just for one game.

Actually, a new library has just opened here in saint laurent (Montreal) and it's really cool. It's very modern and you can borrow all kind of things including video games.

I wish you could somehow borrow consoles though, I need to get a hold of a ps3 to play Ni No Kuni but I can't justify the cost of buying one just for one game.

Libraries are pretty popular in Québec still. Have you seen the new Bibliothèque Monique-Corriveau, which is an old church which was converted? It's just amazing.

Miutsu

I'm fairly new to Montreal, what's the name of the library? I only know the one near berri-uqam station.

curb

Banned
Oh man I'm tempted by that destiny deal. Is it any fun if you play it by yourself?

I bought it at launch and played it almost completely alone. I feel like the average person could easily get $20 worth of fun out of it alone. The mechanics are solid and the shooting feels great. It's the end-game content where I think it's lacking. I didn't play the DLC expansions though so I don't know what they add to the end-game.

Maximus.

Is it even worth getting destiny alone? You need to buy all the expansions to play the latest content correct? Wouldn't it be better waiting for a sale on the new disc with all the content?

Madouu

I'm fairly new to Montreal, what's the name of the library? I only know the one near berri-uqam station.

That's the biggest and most interesting one, I like to go there once in a while just to chill and read a book. That's how I discovered the works of Asimov.

This one is called Bibliothèque du Boisé, it's in the Ville Saint Laurent area. It's smaller than the one in Berri Uqam obviously.

Hope you like the city, if you need someone to show you around let me know!

Libraries are pretty popular in Québec still. Have you seen the new Bibliothèque Monique-Corriveau, which is an old church which was converted? It's just amazing.

I'll definitely check it out the next time I'm in Québec. It looks splendid from the pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom