• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming "Deals" and Discussion Thread 6: Sorry, We Can't Afford a New Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it even worth getting destiny alone? You need to buy all the expansions to play the latest content correct? Wouldn't it be better waiting for a sale on the new disc with all the content?

10 bucks. Even I caved on 10 bucks. Those expansion packs are bound to go on sale themselves.

Maximus.

Fair enough, ordered 2 copies, one for me and one for a friend. Want to give the expansion a fair chance with all the apparent changes.

Edit: Expansion Pass (1 & 2) is $34.99, The Taken King should be $40. Unless the expansions go on sale, the $10 Destiny doesn't make that much sense. I would imagine there would be a bigger chance of the retail game with everything included going on sale before the individual expansions on PSN, but who knows...I still ordered the games because it is a good deal. Just something to consider I guess..

Kieli

Actually, a new library has just opened here in saint laurent (Montreal) and it's really cool. It's very modern and you can borrow all kind of things including video games.

I wish you could somehow borrow consoles though, I need to get a hold of a ps3 to play Ni No Kuni but I can't justify the cost of buying one just for one game.

Uhm....

Never going to happen. May as well set fire to your library government funding cold hard cash at that point.

Miutsu

That's the biggest and most interesting one, I like to go there once in a while just to chill and read a book. That's how I discovered the works of Asimov.

This one is called Bibliothèque du Boisé, it's in the Ville Saint Laurent area. It's smaller than the one in Berri Uqam obviously.

Hope you like the city, if you need someone to show you around let me know!

I'll definitely check it out the next time I'm in Québec. It looks splendid from the pictures.

Thanks! Been living here since end of march of this year, the city is amazing and I still feel like I only know a small part of it.

I (and a couple of friends that are also new) am looking to meet new people in here, so let me know if you'd want to hangout sometime!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
FYI If you want to catch up on Destiny, it's still a better idea to wait for The Taken King than jumping on the $10 Destiny. This is Activision we're talking about, they barely reduce prices on DLC, if ever, and Destiny doesn't seem like the type of game where that would happen as opposed to map packs going on sale.

$80 Taken King Legendary Edition gets you:
- Vanilla Destiny ($10 for X1)
- Two expansions thus far ($35 if you buy together)
- The Taken King ($40)

Now that all these details of Taken King are coming out, I'm regretting not pre-ordering the Legendary Edition during E3 :(

Maximus.

FYI If you want to catch up on Destiny, it's still a better idea to wait for The Taken King than jumping on the $10 Destiny. This is Activision we're talking about, they barely reduce prices on DLC, if ever, and Destiny doesn't seem like the type of game where that would happen as opposed to map packs going on sale.

- The Taken King ($40)

Now that all these details of Taken King are coming out, I'm regretting not pre-ordering the Legendary Edition during E3 :(

That is my thought as well, should have preordered during E3, but at the time I was still sour on the whole game. With the content they have shown recently, I do want to give it another shot, too bad I didn't consider it earlier.

Thanks for the Destiny heads up!

Bought it at launch and sold it after I got bored of it and always planned to pick it up again when it got cheap. $10 is a steal for that sweet sweet Marty O'donnell music alone.

- The Taken King ($40)

Yeah I actually thought about this later on.

I got it discounted from E3 so I think I lucked out. But that one is for PS4. I bought it at launch last year on PS4 and sold it a month later, then rebought it today at $10 for XBOne instead cause I have the Taken King Legendary Edition pre-ordered anyway on PS4

SickBoy

Seems to me like vanilla Destiny is the way to go if you want to try it now and aren't sure. If I'm reading right, you're only saving $5 if you buy the "Everything and the Kitchen Sink" version.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Seems to me like vanilla Destiny is the way to go if you want to try it now and aren't sure. If I'm reading right, you're only saving $5 if you buy the "Everything and the Kitchen Sink" version.
There's also a kind-of F2P version (level capped; and the way damage modifiers work, fighting anything above your level is almost impossible to actually impossible) of it available on the PSN store on PS4 if you don't want to spend any money. Not sure if X1 has anything similar.

Mimosa97

Actually, a new library has just opened here in saint laurent (Montreal) and it's really cool. It's very modern and you can borrow all kind of things including video games.

I wish you could somehow borrow consoles though, I need to get a hold of a ps3 to play Ni No Kuni but I can't justify the cost of buying one just for one game.

What what ??? Where is this library I've never heard about ?

I'm going there tomorrow if they let you rent videogames.

Edit : Biblitothèque du Boisé ? Way too far from where I live :(

Maximus.

Add a pre-order in. Then cancel once Destiny ships.

EDIT: It's a sad state in gaming when gamers need to debate whether it's worth picking up a game at 10 dollars. For the record, the arguments are valid.

How is it sad we are debating the value? If it was just to enjoy the base game, $10 dollars is beyond a steal, but with all the expansions being required to enjoy all the latest content, this deal is deceiving! Just don't want people who may be unaware to jump in at this price point, only to regret it later if they enjoy the game and want to play the expansions.

sikkinixx

I don't think you pay tax on psn so you'd actually be saving a couple bucks by not buying from retail, $10+tax + $75 expansions vs $79.99+tax.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I bought the Ghost Edition on PS4 and never once did any of the raids due to no matchmaking and my friends getting it on XB1, so I'm kinda tempted to replay it in XB1.

Madouu

Uhm....

Never going to happen. May as well set fire to your library government funding cold hard cash at that point.

hahah don't worry I'm not expecting libraries to offer such a service, it's merely wishful thinking.

The one in saint laurent does have a cool area with a two or three consoles set up though but it's for 12-17 year olds only. And as far as borrowing video games is concerned, la grande bibliothèque at berri uqam has a pretty good selection but be ready to reserve games as soon as they are available, especially the more popular ones.

How is it sad we are debating the value? If it was just to enjoy the base game, $10 dollars is beyond a steal, but with all the expansions being required to enjoy all the latest content, this deal is deceiving! Just don't want people who may be unaware to jump in at this price point, only to regret it later if they enjoy the game and want to play the expansions.

Yep! Which is why I said...

For the record, the arguments are valid.

i-Jest

a Type 0 drop that isn't $40?! 30 is good but we can do better. $10 soon pls

you're good people, Jest. you making the list all the time makes me happy lol

I'm glad someone is.

type-0 day 1 edition
Hey vancouver guys walmart at grandview still has this. Price matched best buys sale for 30

If that was Toronto, copies would be gone so fast. I'd give it a couple hours at best. Maybe there are still unopened Day One Editions in the city.

Does anyone know when those FF15 demo vouchers expire?

March 17, 2016.

Madouu

Does anything beat the current 38$ 1GB data + unlimited call/text offer from kodoo in QC right now? I'm thinking of switching two lines (one is a 39$ 600 MB smart plan and the other a 50$ 1GB) from Fido, their retentions have taken a turn for the worse in recent months.

Madness

I'd buy Destiny now if I didn't have the Amazon E3 discount. $10 base game + Taken King would roughly equal what I'd pay with 30% off an msrp of $79.99 which I think Activision will finally adjust to $69.99. But I wouldn't be able to get that already released dlc like house of wolves and whatnot unless I pay for those as well making it more than TTK legendary pricing.

krae_man

Best Buy Canada finally started Best Buy Gamers Club, paid version. For $30, get 20% off for two years. Lots more benefits.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/regular...=739265&SubscriberID=181932701&eut=2509420448

2X POINTS
on new video game software, digital content and game accessories

2 POINTS
for every dollar when you trade in games

REDEEM REWARD CERTIFICATES
on nearly everything at Best Buy

EXCLUSIVE GAMING OFFERS
20% OFF
new video game software

10% BONUS TRADE-IN CREDIT
on your video game software trade-ins

10% OFF
pre-owned games

BUY TWO, GET A THIRD FREE
pre-owned games via special welcome coupon

50% OFF
strategy guide via special welcome coupon

That's bestbuy.com

Where are you seeing bestbuy.ca offering it?

diaspora

Best Buy Canada finally started Best Buy Gamers Club, paid version. For $30, get 20% off for two years. Lots more benefits.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/regular...=739265&SubscriberID=181932701&eut=2509420448

2X POINTS
on new video game software, digital content and game accessories

2 POINTS
for every dollar when you trade in games

REDEEM REWARD CERTIFICATES
on nearly everything at Best Buy

EXCLUSIVE GAMING OFFERS
20% OFF
new video game software

10% BONUS TRADE-IN CREDIT
on your video game software trade-ins

10% OFF
pre-owned games

BUY TWO, GET A THIRD FREE
pre-owned games via special welcome coupon

50% OFF
strategy guide via special welcome coupon

No? That's the US site.

krae_man

OMG why am I getting newsletters for Best buy US?!!! I never signed up for this shit.

SORRY GUYS!!!!!! :( :( :(

And thank you, for I almost signed up for that shit. :(

I started getting them a few weeks ago too.

I think they merged lists by mistake. I sent them a tweet and they denying messing anything up but asked me to email them my infos.

N° 2048

I hereby sentence shagg_187 to do the following:

76afBis.gif

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
It's not like that program is even worth it for me since I preorder everything during E3 and don't trade in games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom