• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 8: Don't Move Here For The Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lexxism

Thanks everyone for the EB Games trade-in info. Gonna go offload Mario Kart 8 for Breath of the Wild, I guess.

How easy is it for them to switch pre-orders to another game? Say, if I wanted Mario Kart 8 Deluxe instead.
Easy. I never had any problem switching to another game.

Bluenoser

Just wanted to say thanks to the folks who mentioned EB's 2x trade in program on Switch. I was not interested in getting one (mostly due to price) but with some trades of PS4 games I wasn't going to play, I managed to get it under $200.

World of Final Fantasy - $52 (I paid $40 thanks to some shrewd Amazon wheeling and dealing)
Skyrim - $50 (I paid $35 on an Amazon holiday sale)

Plus got rid of some oldies like DA:I, COD Ghosts, Fallout 4, etc.

7 games traded, $212 worth of value... not shabby at all. Games market in Canada isn't total ass if you pick your battles.

Looking forward to March 3 now!

Just wanted to say thanks to the folks who mentioned EB's 2x trade in program on Switch. I was not interested in getting one (mostly due to price) but with some trades of PS4 games I wasn't going to play, I managed to get it under $200.

World of Final Fantasy - $52 (I paid $40 thanks to some shrewd Amazon wheeling and dealing)
Skyrim - $50 (I paid $35 on an Amazon holiday sale)

Plus got rid of some oldies like DA:I, COD Ghosts, Fallout 4, etc.

7 games traded, $212 worth of value... not shabby at all. Games market in Canada isn't total ass if you pick your battles.

Looking forward to March 3 now!

That is NICE!!! wish I jumped on that..

Sora_N

EB wont let you trade-in sealed games. You will 100% need to open them before trading them in.

That said, they wont think you stole them. Its not uncommon for "collectors" to have sealed games in their backlog.

I took my 3D Land in sealed and they didn't do anything different. After the trade he opened it up.

Sometimes they open it before the trade starts. No big deal for either though lol.

MrFlooD

I took my 3D Land in sealed and they didn't do anything different. After the trade he opened it up.

Sometimes they open it before the trade starts. No big deal for either though lol.

Interesting, employee wasn't following proper guidelines. Its against company policy to accept unopened items.

Someone mentioned the Wii U servers shutting down, so I did some quick Googling.

The Wii came out in 2006.
Mario Kart Wii and Brawl came out in 2008.
The Wii U came out in 2012.

The Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection was discontinued in May 2014, so you couldn't play online on the DS/Wii anymore. That's about 1.5 years after the Wii U came out. If you played MKWii/Brawl at release, you had 6 years with it.

SSB Wii U came out in 2014, Splatoon in 2015. Could Nintendo keep the Wii U servers online until say 2020, or shut them down 1.5 years after the Switch is out, at the end of 2018?

lupinko

Someone mentioned the Wii U servers shutting down, so I did some quick Googling.

The Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection was discontinued in May 2014, so you couldn't play online on the DS/Wii anymore. That's about 1.5 years after the Wii U came out. If you played MKWii/Brawl at release, you had 6 years with it.

SSB Wii U came out in 2014, Splatoon in 2015. Could Nintendo keep the Wii U servers online until say 2020, or shut them down 1.5 years after the Switch is out, at the end of 2018?

I can't speak for WiiU or even 3DS, but Wii/DS online was discontinued because Nintendo Wifi was tied to Gamespy. So when Gamespy went under, so did Nintendo Wifi.

Moltenix

Maybe they'll shut them down sooner so we're all forced to upgrade to Switch and pay for online! Muahahaha!

Doesn't come with the map either and the soundtrack is a "selection" which might or might not be the same as the NA one. Case is also different.

Soundtrack is listed the same in the North American info; I imagine they will be the same (aside from the UK one coming with a jewel case instead of a sleeve) like the Twilight Princess HD CD.

...and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Sound Selection CD for a suggested retail price of $99.99

Lizardus

Currently on Amazon live chat regarding BoTW special edition date and I just found this funny.

"HEY FELLOW GAMERS, HOW DO YOU DO"

Vernelle: Hello, my name is Vernelle. I'm here to help you today.
Thanks for being a Prime member, I hope you are having an Amazing Monday, despite your issue with Zelda this morning, I can definitely understand wanting to know when this is available, I love the legend of Zelda, and having the current one is a must as a gamer! No worries I am here to help and will gladly assist you with this today!

Kiro

Hey all, I'm curious how you all keep track of your orders and deals. Trying to see if there is a better way to optimize. Here is what mine looks like (feel free to share yours!):

uvhc2BA.png

AzerPhire

Hey all, I'm curious how you all keep track of your orders and deals. Trying to see if there is a better way to optimize. Here is what mine looks like (feel free to share yours!):

uvhc2BA.png

I would just add in a column for the store and maybe the order #

Pacer

Neo Member
The EB Games trade-in deals for the Switch are awesome, but the price of accessories ruins it for me. No way I'm paying $90 for the Pro controller.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

uvhc2BA.png

Very similar to me. I don't keep track of price though, but if an item is pre-ordered, I do list the store I have it pre-ordered at.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Why don't you keep track of price if you don't mind me asking? That one seems the most important to me lol.

There's a very low % chance that something I have pre-ordered, I'll find cheaper later, but before launch. Most pre-orders are from E3 deals, or Amazon Prime 20% off, so information is almost redundant for me. We are thankful to not have a very tight budget, so for budgeting purposes, we don't have to make sure we have funds if there are 5 games in a month we suddenly want.

DVCY201

Cancelled my pre-order for Resident Evil 7. With Persona 5, Zelda, and Nier, by the time I get to it, it'll be less than $40 anyways

marcod

Just checked with Amazon.ca support and I'm being told that the console does not apply for release day delivery. Is anyone else getting the same response? Is this estimation only temporary?

They want to make sure that people buy the right model.

Hahaha I can agree with that! I have my grey one preordered but my girlfriend is dead set on Neon for whatever reason.

Just checked with Amazon.ca support and I'm being told that the console does not apply for release day delivery. Is anyone else getting the same response? Is this estimation only temporary?

I got the same response. It could go either way with Amazon, they do this a lot. I'd say 80% of the time the stuff ends up coming on release day, but occasionally stuff will actually come at the later estimated date. I guess we'll see.

Ooccoo

I wonder how many people are pre-ordering the Switch just to resell it at launch following the NES classic and Wii/Wii U initial scarcity.

marcod

I got the same response. It could go either way with Amazon, they do this a lot. I'd say 80% of the time the stuff ends up coming on release day, but occasionally stuff will actually come at the later estimated date. I guess we'll see.

Oh, so there have been times where it estimated a later date but it arrived on release anyway? That's a bit relieving.

Oh, so there have been times where it estimated a later date but it arrived on release anyway? That's a bit relieving.

Personally for me I've had times where it didn't change the estimated date on a game until the day it shipped. I don't have much faith in Amazon but it's definitely possible!

Cru Jones

This is why I went to EBGames this weekend and did an in-store pre-order. I'm not confident that they'll be able to ship everything for release day shipping.

13randO

Cancelled my pre-order for Resident Evil 7. With Persona 5, Zelda, and Nier, by the time I get to it, it'll be less than $40 anyways

Yeah, I ended up doing this as well. The game will be cheaper once I'm ready for it, so might as well wait on it. Zelda has pretty much cleared the table of contenders at the moment.

Maximus.

Unable to preorder a switch at EB, but preordered Zelda by trading in 3 games I'll never play again. They let me trade in 2 games for random switch accessories to get the double credit. The manager claimed it'll be easy to move it around to other things when more preorders open up. Couldn't preorder Mario kart or a pro controller.

Anth0ny

uvhc2BA.png

I used to do an excel sheet with game, price paid, release date.

then total cost at the bottom.

but these days I just buy way less games because of how expensive shit is so I don't even have to manage a spreadsheet anymore.

Unable to preorder a switch at EB, but preordered Zelda by trading in 3 games I'll never play again. They let me trade in 2 games for random switch accessories to get the double credit. The manager claimed it'll be easy to move it around to other things when more preorders open up. Couldn't preorder Mario kart or a pro controller.

Out of curosity, what games did you trade in? I'm trying to figure out whether I should drag myself to EB or not.

AzerPhire

Seriously. Waiting to trade my stuff in for this

I wouldn't wait as the trade in values may drop over the coming days if they find they are getting lots of certain titles.

In the meantime just do the trade and put it on other items like Joy Cons or other games and then move it to what you want as they become available in the system.

I traded in my WiiU and a bunch of games and got $610 in credit. Paid off:

-Switch console
-Red/Blue joycon set
-Zelda (Trade 3)
-Joycon charge grip
-Had $43 leftover that I put on 1,2 Switch but will move to a Pro controller once they are available

Conezays

Hahaha I can agree with that! I have my grey one preordered but my girlfriend is dead set on Neon for whatever reason.

I agree with this. Support told me they would look into ensuring my orders be sent earlier than the estimates given. Honestly I think they're still just sorting out things behind the scenes. I have games for release day delivery in February and March yet Switch, its accessories, and games are all estimated for March 7th-8th (or later)? I'd take it with a grain of salt at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom