• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 9: Looking for a Switch in Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
No movement on my arms double discount from Best buy or Amazon.

If they ship with purolator (which is how I usually get 2 day shipping from them to Winnipeg) then I usually getting shipping notification overnight.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Just to make sure - I have an Anker PowerCore 20100 - will it be able to charge the Switch while playing games, or will the system drain battery faster than it charges?

(The USB-C cable I have is fine, I've already checked that.)

You won't know until you try it out yourself.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Guess not - ah well; I'll be sure to let everyone know in case it helps.

Congrats on the Switch purchase btw. I remember you saying you were gonna wait till 2018 to buy it. What made you change your mind: $50 games?

NYR

Still no shipping notice for my Arms copy from Amazon.

Anybody (double discount or not) receive their shipping notification yet?

Amazon says they won't even ship my Arms until June 19th.

My order of Arms is showing a ship date the same as my Splatoon order. I contacted them and they say it's just a glitch. Hope no one else is in the same boat.
I have Prime. Mine says "Will Ship June 14", getting it on Friday.

Congrats on the Switch purchase btw. I remember you saying you were gonna wait till 2018 to buy it. What made you change your mind: $50 games?

Metroid Prime 4, mainly. That, and Splatoon 2 for 40% off (less than $50). It looks like it's starting to get the support it needed, and heck, I got a 3DS XL just for Awakening originally, so it'll be worth it eventually, even if it isn't 100% now.

CazTGG

Just to make sure - I have an Anker PowerCore 20100 - will it be able to charge the Switch while playing games, or will the system drain battery faster than it charges?

(The USB-C cable I have is fine, I've already checked that.)

Just about any decent power bank should be able to charge the system rather than slow the drain, so you should be fine with the Powercore. I personally went with Aukey (20,000 Solar, 30,000 USB-C) since they were on sale at the time and there isn't so grand a difference between the performance as to justify spending more on similar models.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
WTF is going on with some of these Switch Nintendo game prices on Amazon? Nearly $100CDN for Mario Odyssey and Pokemon, yikes.

Lizardus

I'm trying to get contact Wal-Mart but end up at an automated messages every time. Anyone have tips, tricks and tutorials on how to talk to an actual human? I want to change one of my $50 orders.

Azull

Holy shit amazon is literally the fucking worst.

I spoke to a CSR yesterday about my order, specifically Destiny 2 PC, who said that they would solve my issue for me without any problems and then today I get this vague e-mail telling me to call them. Then the person I spoke to proceeded to output proverbial bullshit by saying that:

-> The discount only applies to the French version;
-> Nope nevermind, the discount can only apply to 2 games in an order. I told her I had 4 games and Destiny 2 was the only one that didn't get the code;
-> She said that I fucked up by ordering it. I told her to look at the transcript from yesterday's convo with the other CSR where he literally told me to place the order; and finally,
-> She goes back to saying it only applies to the French version.

I just sat there stunned for like 5 minutes after her going through this weird loop of bullshittery.

Got Yoshi on Switch down to $63 thanks to a very helpful and understanding CSR. They couldn't figure out how to add the promo to my order, so they just adjusted the price manually. S/O to Elizabeth. <3

etta

my hard graphic balls
What size did you get?

The 49 inch, was $200 off which is nice, $1499 before tax. I almost went for the 55 inch for $1999 at Best Buy because that was the smallest one they had in stock, but if I'm paying that much I may as well pay a little more and get OLED.
Not to mention my current 46 inch is just a bit too big for the room it's in, so 49 is already a bit too big.

Pre-ordered just 2 games

CoD: WWII
Gran Turismo Sport: LE

Far Cry 5 peeks my interest, but I'm never sure with UbiSoft games. It's always hit or miss. :/

Lizardus

Press 6. Secret option.

Lol, thought you were just fucking around but it worked.

I put an order in for Mario and Splatoon 2 on Walmart but I was still charged shipping because of my location. They couldn't remove the shipping or change it to pick-up from delivery but I did get $10 taken off the whole order to offset the shipping.

Good job Wal-mart.

Fularu

Banned
Holy shit amazon is literally the fucking worst.

I spoke to a CSR yesterday about my order, specifically Destiny 2 PC, who said that they would solve my issue for me without any problems and then today I get this vague e-mail telling me to call them. Then the person I spoke to proceeded to output proverbial bullshit by saying that:

-> The discount only applies to the French version;
-> Nope nevermind, the discount can only apply to 2 games in an order. I told her I had 4 games and Destiny 2 was the only one that didn't get the code;
-> She said that I fucked up by ordering it. I told her to look at the transcript from yesterday's convo with the other CSR where he literally told me to place the order; and finally,
-> She goes back to saying it only applies to the French version.

I just sat there stunned for like 5 minutes after her going through this weird loop of bullshittery.
The game is bilingual, unless you're anal about english packaging, the game will play the exact same with everything in english.

Just get the french version

Azull

The game is bilingual, unless you're anal about english packaging, the game will play the exact same with everything in english.

Just get the french version

That's the problem, I can't anymore. I literally told the CSR on the phone to just change the order to the French version and she stated that I couldn't get it anymore because she can't replicate the price reduction. I just checked now and they completely removed the discount from the PC version entirely.

So I'll say it again, amazon sucks ass.

I'm trying to grab it off Walmart but it looks like it's unfortunately out-of-stock at the moment. It's partially my fault this all happened, I could have avoided this entirely if I just went with Walmart from the jump.

That's the problem, I can't anymore. I literally told the CSR on the phone to just change the order to the French version and she stated that I couldn't get it anymore because she can't replicate the price reduction. I just checked now and they completely removed the discount from the PC version entirely.

I'm trying to grab it off Walmart but it looks like it's unfortunately out-of-stock at the moment. It's partially my fault this all happened, I could have avoided this entirely if I just went with Walmart from the jump.
How long were you aware of the price difference between skus? I locked in a preorder for the French version when I saw the price.

Fularu

Banned

Then my only (shitty) advice is to grab the game from bnet if you play WoW and have 480k gold on your account

bryt

Anyone know if 15mbps fibre internet from Telus is any good? Is it enough to watch Twitch/YouTube/Netflix in 1080p? The building I'm moving into is giving that for 1 year free.

I've learned my lesson from previous years and regretting not pre-ordering at a discount when I had a chance. I just ordered every single game available with a discount that I MIGHT be interested in since they don't charge you till they ship and you can cancel them individually anytime.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I've learned my lesson from previous years and regretting not pre-ordering at a discount when I had a chance. I just ordered every single game available with a discount that I MIGHT be interested in since they don't charge you till they ship and you can cancel them individually anytime.
Yep. I even preordered Splatoon 2 for $48 during the Amazon glitch even though I don't care about it because the price was so good.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 10: Preorder now, think later

Welcome to my strategy. Even if you forget to cancel it, you can always sell a sealed copy on Classifieds for a small profit.

JDH

This is my first year actually Pre-Ordering anything period and I learned pretty quick too lol

Azull

How long were you aware of the price difference between skus? I locked in a preorder for the French version when I saw the price.

It was less than 24 hours between contacting the first CSR about the price difference between the SKUs. So I contacted yesterday at like 8:00 p.m. and spoke to another CSR today at 4:00 p.m.

Then my only (shitty) advice is to grab the game from bnet if you play WoW and have 480k gold on your account

Not shitty advice at all and I honestly would do that if I did play WoW because that's a pretty awesome option being provided Activision/Blizzard. I'm just going to keep refreshing Walmart and hope for the best. Thanks either way though :D!

This is my first year actually Pre-Ordering anything period and I learned pretty quick too lol

Good stuff. Ya in years past I've spent days trying to figure out what to order and what not to. I literally did my 3 orders of 6 games each in about 5 minutes lol. Just grab em all!!!

Bronetta

Does that work for 3ds digital stuff as well like the Fire emblem echoes season pass?

If they sell it, absolutely no tax.

This isnt those game cards on the shelves btw, I bought Snipperclips + Zelda season pass and the codes were printed on the receipt.

SickBoy

Anyone know if 15mbps fibre internet from Telus is any good? Is it enough to watch Twitch/YouTube/Netflix in 1080p? The building I'm moving into is giving that for 1 year free.

I used to get 15mbps DSL and it was fine. Maybe not as fine for my family today (lots of streaming), but I never had an issue and for one or two people, probably fine. We just upgraded since the cost of moving up was about the same as raising data cap to match our use. We're at 50Mbps now.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Hey Proteus, do you have both an Xbox One S and PS4 Pro?
Was it easy to get all the HDR stuff working well on both machines? Did you use the settings from Rtings?

bryt

I used to get 15mbps DSL and it was fine. Maybe not as fine for my family today (lots of streaming), but I never had an issue and for one or two people, probably fine. We just upgraded since the cost of moving up was about the same as raising data cap to match our use. We're at 50Mbps now.

if you get full speed that should be enough for streaming

Thanks! I'm gonna be living alone so this seems perfect.

Stat!

Is it best to pre-order Kirby/Yoshi/Metroid Prime 4 now?

I have Prime but do we really think games are going above $99.99 or that Prime is no longer getting 20%.

Really debating on Madden. But Walmart cancellation policies have me worried a bit. I get I can return it but its the hassle of returning it vs cancelling it the week before.

Ventara

I have Prime but do we really think games are going above $99.99 or that Prime is no longer getting 20%.

Yes. Cancelling is as easy as 1-2-3 so there's really no downside.

Edit: Wait, did Kirby ever get the E3 discount working?

Gitaroo

Really debating on Madden. But Walmart cancellation policies have me worried a bit. I get I can return it but its the hassle of returning it vs cancelling it the week before.

Prime still give you 20%, just disabled during e3 sales since it gives you the same amount of discount. I just preordered everything with E3 sales and hope for maybe amazon fuck up and give you another prime 20% off when they ship...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom