• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 9: Looking for a Switch in Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stage On

So glad I don't buy Nintendo stuff anymore, I don't have to deal with their BS.

And here I'm on the other end of the spectrum where the only things I've preordered so far during e3 have been for Nintendo systems with the exception of one ps4 game I intend to give someone else as a Christmas gift.

Of course a large part of that is because Nintendo games don't really go on sale much so if I'm going to get them this is about as cheap as they will ever get. $50 before tax for any of them them feels like an absolute steal

Not so much for games from other people, thought it is taking them longer to fall to $30 or less then it used to so I'm struggling to to wait it out in many ways.

shezbot

Doesn't look like my prime discounted Arms is going to ship on day one from Amazon. Wish I was able to get the Walmart one before it sold out so fast.

"Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion X: Formally Known as Scorpio"

UberTag

Doesn't look like my prime discounted Arms is going to ship on day one from Amazon. Wish I was able to get the Walmart one before it sold out so fast.
After missing out on the brief Walmart stock at $49 (I actually had it ordered at one point with another game but cancelled it by accident), the Amazon double promotion glitch and the Best Buy promotion code exploit, I had resigned myself to settling for the base 20% discount from Amazon... but, after musing over the idea, I've actually warmed up to the idea of going digital with ARMS.

That base 2.2 GB file size just seems far too optimal not to take advantage of for convenience sake. All of my other physical Switch games are upwards of 6.5 GB.

Is there anything on Best Buy that's not available on Amazon to preorder?
I don't believe Beyond Good & Evil 2 is up on Amazon yet but perhaps I'm just missing it.

firelogic

I'm getting really picky with my gaming lately. The only thing I preordered is Uncharted The Lost Legacy. Outside of that, I have my 5 preorders from last year, God of War, Death Stranding, Days Gone, Spider-Man, and Detroit (of which only GoW is a guaranteed keeper).

Prime itself has gotten frustrating tbh

Yeah, I can't say I've enjoyed Amazon's approach to prime at all.

My biggest gripe? When they rolled out free same-day shipping, I was quite happy about it. Turns out that's only on SOME items. Other items, when shipping, may have same day / 1 day shipping available, but at a $6.99 premium. WHY? If you have the capability to ship it to me same day / one day, and Prime is advertised as having that as a perk, why do I have to pay for it on some items?

Not to mention their big problem with shipping games on release day. I am most likely not going to renew my subscription when it's up for renewal later this year.

JDH

Looks like all of Wal-Mart prices are back up to "regular" No more deals :(

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 10: Goodbye Deals

Goodnight, sweet prince.

This year's E3 was weird. Walmart had great deals, full stop; it'd be a much worse E3 without them. But then we had the weird thing where Amazon and Best Buy both had great deals, but they were mistakes. Then the actual deals, in addition to being disappointing by comparison (unavoidable though), were also kind of disappointing because Prime members already get the same deal year-round.

There were still obvious advantages over last year, though. If you don't have a Prime membership, 20% off is better than 0% off obviously. If you do have a Prime membership, you could replace your Prime orders in case you were worried about the discounts disappearing after your membership lapses (even though in practice that doesn't seem to be an issue). If you love Best Buy, 20% off immediately is better than 20x points at some point in the future, and only to be used against later purchases. And one thing we all kind of forgot: you didn't have to order multiple games at once to get the discount, something that used to be a key feature of E3 deals in the past.

All in all, I definitely ordered more this year than last year (and will likely keep more games than last year even after I cancel a bunch), and I tried to throw as much business as made sense to Walmart for originating the $50 deals. If they changed their ecommerce platform to allow you to cancel the same way Amazon does, it would've been a no-brainer. Best Buy got some orders from me because I don't like the idea of Amazon crushing its competition and wielding its monopoly powers for evil. On the other hand, Amazon got a lot of orders from me because it's just so damned easy to cancel things and I generally don't care too much about things arriving late, as they always do.

Still no word on those new amiibo or the Metroid CE, eh? I really don't want to miss out on pre-ordering that stuff. Hopefully we'll hear more shortly.

killroy87

I think I preordered less this E3 than I ever have in the past. Other than the $50 games, the deals were just what I could normally get with Prime, so what's the point.

Still picked up a few, and am glad to get b-tier games like Call of Duty at such a good discount, so I can't really complain.

The fuck. My Arms was preparing for shipping and then reverted back to the regular pre-ordered. I even paid a little extra for their top priority shipping when I ordered it.

JDH

Reviewing my pre-order list and looking at the amount of games with a "regular old 20% discount" leaves much to be desired (as a Prime member anyways) Which brings me to my question you all of you:

When do you guys pick through your pre-orders and start cancelling the crap deals?

Out of 33 games pre-ordered only about 19 are better than the regular discount I can get year-round. I'm contemplating cancelling the rest.

BadWolf

Reviewing my pre-order list and looking at the amount of games with a "regular old 20% discount" leaves much to be desired (as a Prime member anyways) Which brings me to my question you all of you:

When do you guys pick through your pre-orders and start cancelling the crap deals?

Out of 33 games pre-ordered only about 19 are better than the regular discount I can get year-round. I'm contemplating cancelling the rest.

I always wait till the end before a game release to cancel, in case there are any price errors etc.

Lizardus

Alright, not a guarantee or anything but I have 2 copies of $50 Splatoon 2, one from Amazon and one from Walmart. If Amazon honours the price (I know Walmart will), I can ship one to someone who missed out on it somehow for $50.

Again, not a guarantee.

Depends. This year, at minimum I'm waiting until after E3, because I'm paranoid Amazon won't bring back the Prime discount. (I think this is highly highly unlikely, but pride goeth before a fall and whatnot). Anything that's only 20% off, I will likely cancel if the Prime discount comes back, unless it's a game I definitely want. Prime allowing you to buy after release with 20% off is quite useful. Other games, I'll probably wait until closer to launch to make a decision. Walmart and Best Buy orders I likely will not cancel, and planned around their ecomm restrictions such that the only orders I have with them are games I was reasonably sure I would want and/or are coming out very soon.

Yeah, Walmart ended up being the MVPs this year. Huge sigh of relief I was able to grab Odyssey in the last batch before it ended.

The Amazon double discount was awesome but it's a shame that was a glitch and not actually an intentional deal. Hopefully they actually honour it.

If it's just the regular 20% off then usually around launch I'll just cancel if I'm not feeling I really want the game right away.

When it comes to the $50 games there are a few I'm not really dying for day 1 so worst case scenario I can probably sell them or trade in for a profit. e.g. I got South Park because I am interested, but Odyssey is a week after and Ni no Kuni just two weeks behind. Since Ubisoft games drop hard I can probably afford to wait... And I'll probably wait for reviews/impressions on Spider-Man.

The $50 preorders I'm definitely keeping for 2017 are ARMS, Splatoon 2, Ni no Kuni II, Super Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade 2, and maybe Gran Turismo Sport. Then a few TBA like Death Stranding, FFVII, KHIII. Too bad I never got the Best Buy double discount working since getting Dissidia NT with it would have been nice.

This year's E3 was weird. Walmart had great deals, full stop; it'd be a much worse E3 without them. But then we had the weird thing where Amazon and Best Buy both had great deals, but they were mistakes. Then the actual deals, in addition to being disappointing by comparison (unavoidable though), were also kind of disappointing because Prime members already get the same deal year-round...

can't be said enough. all praise, walmart! which's something i never thought i'd hear myself say. they single-handedly save this year's e3 sales :) ...

jpv_13

Neo Member
I was charged last night for my double discounted Arms from Amazon.

But it says it's shipping on Monday and won't arrive until Wednesday.

So not sure what to expect.

I was charged last night for my double discounted Arms from Amazon.

But it says it's shipping on Monday and won't arrive until Wednesday.

So not sure what to expect.

I just checked and I was charged this morning. It had said Preparing for Shipment too and then went back to plain old "Pre-Ordered". Supposed to ship on Monday.

My noodle has shipped

8dKWKwe.gif

Anything questionable, at $79-20%, bought from best buy so can return easily if reviews are poor. Got too many disappointments over the years, caught up in the hype, destiny 1, ff15, battlefront 1, etc.

Being extra cautious ordering role playing and FPS games now. Saturated genres IMO.

Did a mix of WM and Amazon for $49 (and $29 for Crash Trilogy) offers. Will keep sealed until reviews are out.

There's word going around online that Best Buy may be restocking Switches tomorrow (Friday). If you don't have one now may be a good time. Amazon and the Source are starting to put them up more often now as well

And the new thread title should be a play on the 150th Birthday of our glorious country

Ondore

We've got like, 10,000 posts to go until it's time for the next thread.

I've pretty much got the Nintendo lineup for $50 into next year except Pokken (and I'm hoping to review that) + NBA. Not bad. Might go in tomorrow and finish off the Atlus stuff, etc.

I've pretty much got the Nintendo lineup for $50 into next year except Pokken (and I'm hoping to review that) + NBA. Not bad. Might go in tomorrow and finish off the Atlus stuff, etc.
10,000 US server posts is about 20,000 Canadian.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

Going digital is fucking expensive..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom