• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom announces Dead Rising: Chop Til' You Drop for US (Press Release inside)

Stitch

Gold Member
IGN said:
Frank West, the ugliest videogame hero eve

wow IGN fails again

IGN said:
While the 360 game opened with a helicopter scene where players had to snap photos of the zombie outbreak below, the Wii game skips over that and dumps players right onto the roof of the Willamette mall.

Why? Just because you can't take pictures they had to remove the whole fucking intro?

pakkit

Banned
Rewrite said:
lol, I love the cutscene at the end.
Yeah, that was where the fail really starts to sink in. IGN seems to be having a grand ol' time with it, although most of the strengths listed in the preview were strengths of the original material, and not of this "Wiidate."

It's easy to understand why this game looks so much worse than RE4 did.

RE4 looked amazing (and still does in many ways) because of its unbelievable art design which used a lot of lighting and sharp contrast, and had a variety of interesting and unique areas. This is a shopping mall. It's a bunch of sterile clean colors and washed in fluorescent lighting.

EmCeeGramr said:
It's easy to understand why this game looks so much worse than RE4 did.

RE4 looked amazing (and still does in many ways) because of its unbelievable art design which used a lot of lighting and sharp contrast, and had a variety of interesting and unique areas. This is a shopping mall. It's a bunch of sterile clean colors and washed in fluorescent lighting.

this same setting looks phenomenalon the 360

Tron 2.0

Linkzg said:
this same setting looks phenomenalon the 360
I don't know if I'd go that far. It was great for the time but hasn't exactly aged well. It's not a bad looking game, but I wouldn't say it's a real showcase. The real star was always the amount of zombies anyway.

When that video first started I was like, "Oh, that's not so bad..." but as he ran towards the staircase and there were fewer and fewer and finally no zombies I'll admit to being a little depressed.

Off topic a little, but anytime I play Dead Rising on the 360 I have to die in that area. If I run to the stairs successfully the game kicks me back to the title screen and I lose all my progress. Not cool. Luckily it's pretty close to the beginning, but frustrating nonetheless.

Stitch

Gold Member
Jaded Alyx said:
The intro is still there.
well i always thought that the helicopter scene was part of the intro. just interactive, which makes it even cooler.

and the pop-in...... who ported this? some apprentices? it actually would look alright without the pop-in. ok, there are less zombies than in the cutscenes/the 360 version but it looks really dumb when the mall is empty and then all of a sudden there are 5 zombies in front of you.
yes there are some other ugly things in the game. everythings really lowpoly, lowres textures, horrible animations and no physics but the pop-in... OH GOD the pop-in.... it will haunt me in my dreams >___< GTA IV pop-in tree, your master has arrived.

edit: ahaha i just remembered that trailer where the player was sniping enemys which were right in front of him. well now we know why :lol

Have any previews so far mentioned if there is a 180 spin? it's taking a lot from RE4 here, and one of the best parts of RE4 movement is that spin.

Tron 2.0 said:
I don't know if I'd go that far. It was great for the time but hasn't exactly aged well. It's not a bad looking game, but I wouldn't say it's a real showcase. The real star was always the amount of zombies anyway.

I disagree, I think it still looks amazing. Even excluding all the enemy zombies, it has a really nice look to everything. There was a nice sheen to all the different objects in the world, from the floors to Frank's jacket. The subtle blurring going on also made everything look even better. It's a great looking game.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
pakkit said:

s5l4xc.gif

Haunted

Stitch said:
edit: ahaha i just remembered that trailer where the player was sniping enemys which were right in front of him. well now we know why
:lol Hadn't even thought of that. Wonder how they handled the sniper family fight with that degree of pop-up.

scitek

After seeing the tunnel vid, and now that vid with the zombies fading in, this looks absolutely atrocious. I can't believe they're even allowing this to have the Dead Rising name. What an embarrassment.

markatisu

Even with that video IGN writes
We're already enjoying ourselves in the Wii version of this Dawn of the Dead ripoff. As is to be expected, it's not as visually impressive as the 360 game was. But the gameplay is still here, featuring a greater variety of anti-zombie tools than any other game around.

I wonder if it will get a 5 or something when they score it

pakkit

Banned
WickedLaharl said:
reading thru this thread is fairly amusing as folks stop defending the game and come to the sad realization that it's turning out to be a bad
It's initial and unfounded hatred that pisses me off, where people say "OMG WII SUX CANT DO THIS GAMING OMG THIS HURTS CHANCES OF DEAD RISING 2??," but I'm not going to endlessly defend a game that does, in fact, turn out to be a shoe-horned portamathingy.

Tenbatsu

NGame - dead rising :chop till you drop 55%

Others
Wii
mario power tennis 77%
the house of the dead overkill 82%
family ski & snowboard 87%
onechanbara, bikni zombie slayers 50%
the king of fighters : the orochi saga 53%
samurai showdown anthology 74%
deadly creatures 68%
nerf n-strike 67%
cooking mama 2 : world kitchen 39%
safecracker 28%

DS
elite forces, unit 77 70%
dragon quest v, hand of hevenly bride 75%
populous ds 54%
elebits: the adventures of kai and zero 75%
blue dragon plus 72%
moon 75%
xg blast 76%
tornado 61%

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So basically they're saying if you're going to play a game in which you kill a bunch of zombies, the choice between Dead Rising Wii and Bikini Zombie Slayers is basically a toss-up?
:lol

Oh, hey. Good question here: which has more zombies on screen at once - Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop or Oneechanbara: Bikini Zombie Slayers?

pakkit

Banned
Chinner said:
Can't believe you guys are just stting here letting EmCee take digs at Dead Rising 360. Scandalous I do say.
You haven't visited the "games you thought you would like but hated" thread, have you?

Baiano19 said:
the more I see this game the more I think "what the hell was Capcom thinking"

Capcom at least had the right idea in radically reworking the game for Wii, rather than attempting to down-port it. They just completely half-assed it.

m3k

Tenbatsu said:
NGame - dead rising :chop till you drop 55%

Others
Wii
mario power tennis 77%
the house of the dead overkill 82%
family ski & snowboard 87%
onechanbara, bikni zombie slayers 50%
the king of fighters : the orochi saga 53%
samurai showdown anthology 74%
deadly creatures 68%
nerf n-strike 67%
cooking mama 2 : world kitchen 39%
safecracker 28%

DS
elite forces, unit 77 70%
dragon quest v, hand of hevenly bride 75%
populous ds 54%
elebits: the adventures of kai and zero 75%
blue dragon plus 72%
moon 75%
xg blast 76%
tornado 61%

interesting marks

beje

Banned
Baiano19 said:
the more I see this game the more I think "what the hell was Capcom thinking"

The idea was good before they decided to put all their juniors in front of it with a 100$ budget and a engine that wasn't intended for huge environments.

Chinner

Banned
So I was watching the blender video in the chapter 6 section of the capcom website when I saw this:
15ydll1.jpg

Holy shit, look at all that food! We already had a idea that this game was going to be easy, but this is just taking to the extremes of easy!

bomb_jack

I had a go of this the other day. It's much much worse than I expected. The controls are horrific. Survivor AI seems to be even worse than in the original.

:lol at using captured footage from the 360 version for the cut-scenes. I would have loved to see the meetings held for this game during development.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I don’t know what’s worse; the fact Capcom have spent time, money, and manpower developing this sack of crap, or that there are still people out there on the internets that defend the existence of this atrocity to the bitter end.

This isn’t even one of those bad ideas you can see had potential or good intentions. Its just plain crud.

markatisu

bomb_jack said:
I had a go of this the other day. It's much much worse than I expected. The controls are horrific. Survivor AI seems to be even worse than in the original.

:lol at using captured footage from the 360 version for the cut-scenes. I would have loved to see the meetings held for this game during development.

Could you elaborate on the controls? Not that I doubt it but Frank does so little it boggles the mind that using the RE4 engine/controls they could make it worse

Top Bottom