• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom announces Dead Rising: Chop Til' You Drop for US (Press Release inside)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Aaron said:
I'm surprised Capcom is releasing this in its current state. They must hold a really low opinion of Wii owners.

Mixed bag really. The RE4 port can be seen as cheap but plays great. The RE1 and RE0 ports are lame. Zack & Wiki is up there with the Wii’s best. Okami was worth the time spent to port it. Umbrella Chronicles seems like or loath. Tatsunoko vs. Capcom has gotten a great reception.

Then there is Monster Hunter 3, which speaks for itself.

Dead Rising Wii just had bad idea written all over it right from the get go. It boggles the mind as to why they’re bothering.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
EatChildren said:
Mixed bag really. The RE4 port can be seen as cheap but plays great. The RE1 and RE0 ports are lame. Zack & Wiki is up there with the Wii’s best. Okami was worth the time spent to port it. Umbrella Chronicles seems like or loath. Tatsunoko vs. Capcom has gotten a great reception.

Dead Rising Wii just had bad idea written all over it right from the get go. It boggles the mind as to why they’re bothering.

but it's not the same situation at all .

RE4Wiimake use the same Engine as RE4 Gamecube/PS2 , Okami Wii used same Engine as PS2 Okami , same with REmake and RE0 .

Dead Rising was the SHOWOFF game of MT framework Engine's abilities , when you port a game from it to RE4 engine , a completely different engine then this is the results , this is just like porting Killzone 2 to PS2 with ICO engine or porting Gears of War to Original Xbox with id Tech 4 engine , it's just stupid thing to do .

why they bother ? they want some money .

Looks like once you run away from the pre loaded zombie mob, it will just replace them with the next wave which pops in about 10 foot away from you.

Awesome.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
jesus christ @ zombie pop in ..

and i just finished DR for the first time yesterday .. can't wait to see how this works in the
final tunnels where you're running with isabella

wow capcom ..

MarkusRJR

EatChildren said:

Well, more on the loath side for me. I just learned yesterday that it was made by Cavia, a 'bleh' company similar to TOSE.

Capcom needs to step up their Wii support a bit.

Aru

Yaceka said:
Well, more on the loath side for me. I just learned yesterday that it was made by Cavia, a 'bleh' company similar to TOSE.

Capcom needs to step up their Wii support a bit.

TOSE is a hit or miss company.
Some of their games are good (DQM Joker).
Most of their ports on cartridge based consoles are good (all S-E DS ports).
Most of their ports on CD based consoles are flawed, but enjoyable (VP Lenneth, FFT, FF1&2 PSP).
Some of their ports on CD based consoles suck (FF6 PS1).

Every Cavia game is mediocre.

pakkit

Banned
Totobeni said:
RE4Wiimake use the same Engine as RE4 Gamecube/PS2 , Okami Wii used same Engine as PS2 Okami , same with REmake and RE0 .

Dead Rising was the SHOWOFF game of MT framework Engine's abilities , when you port a game from it to RE4 engine , a completely different engine then this is the results , this is just like porting Killzone 2 to PS2 with ICO engine or porting Gears of War to Original Xbox with id Tech 4 engine , it's just stupid thing to do .
I agree with your general comments regarding Dead Rising, but Okami Wii was rebuilt for the Wii. It took a lot of time and assets for the developers to accurately emulate everything Clover captured on the PS2.

pakkit

Banned
They should have released this game in 2008, then the starved might have had something to latch on. But in between Tenchu, Deadly Creatures, House of the Dead: Overkill, and MadWorld? Capcom better hope that the namebrand carries it far.

Tenbatsu

Impressions from Muka from GameFaqs
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=950974&topic=48211528
I got the japanese version yesterday. This is my impression for Wii gamers who have never played the 360 version before cuz honestly if you got the 360 version, I don't see why you would want a downgraded port unless you are a huge DR fan. With that said, the Wii version is definitely a good game. regarding the biggest concern - number of zombies - here are my impressions

- there ARE actually a lot of zombies surrounding you at all times unlike all the videos we have seen so far. this is a very pleasant surprise for me. even in your first fight, you are surrounded by about 15-20 zombies and i wasn't even able to walk 2 steps without getting attacked.

- in the first rescue mission with zombies (save the twins) i came close to dying 2 or 3 times playing on Normal difficulty and i had to eat a few fruits to replenish my life. this time, with a baseball bat, i couldnt swing a few times without getting attacked. if u dont have a weapon you are basically screwed because the zombies will take you out in a hurry.

basically if you are worried that you the mall will be empty and you will be running around taking out 1 or 2 zombies at a time, i can tell you now. DON'T WORRY. this game is much better than that. as long as you are not looking for the exact experience as the original on 360, you will be fine. i find this game really really fun.
---
STUNOCLD!! STONCLD!! SOTNLCLS!!! BYADG GOSLNT EOLCDD IS BACK!!!!
Alrite, I beat the game. I don't know if there are multiple endings but this one sorta wrap things up.

I did not end up doing all the missions. some missions are secret missions that need to be unlocked (i guess by getting good grades? I got mostly A's and B's and my final game ending grade was a B) so i did not rescue all the survivors.

i did not get all weapons/costumes/books. i am missing a lot of stuff and im not sure why. maybe they are not available in your first playthrough? if you want to know what i missed see the spoiler below

Overall I would give the game a 8 out of 10. it's very fun, it's VERY MUCH like resident evil 4. therefore, dont expect a free roam type of game. it is pretty much linear again jsut like RE4. it's basically 1 mission followed by another (with secret missions like i mentioned) and in between there are story events.

****End game unlockable SPOILER****

1) load your finished file and start a new game with all weapons, books, money, experienced, etc carried over. awesome. also for clearing the game i got a strong machine gun and some special forces shoes. i cleared with a B, so maybe A and S gives you even better stuff?

2) Quest Mode. basically short funny missions, i dont know how many are there i think i played about 15 and then even more opened up. i see so many costumes and items in here that i cant get in story mode, such as the hockey mask, convict uniform, wrestling brief, items such as pizza, books that let you do the gut rip move,increase punching power, etc etc

3) after you finish about 5 quests in Quest mode, you unlock another secret called Sniper mode. basically another quest mode with all sniper missions. very fun, i played about 10 stages.

i am not sure if u get anything new if you finish all quests. i will try but i am willing to bet there will be some ridiculously difficult quests with 5 or 6 stars difficulty (so far the highest one i have unlcoked is 3 stars)

Alcibiades

I don't own an XBox and haven't played Dead Rising (though I have seen a few videos), but Dead Rising Wii looks like crap IN COMPARISON TO OTHER WII GAMES.

This idea that hardcore Wii-only owners are gonna judge it based solely on how it compared to the 360 version is silly. In comparison to good Wii games this doesn't look good. The problem isn't that they couldn't mimic the 360 version 100%, it's that they didn't even try to make this a hectic, good-looking, zombie-fest.

They should have started out with what made the 360 version great, and tried to re-create the experience on Wii as best as possible even if they had to change certain aspects to accommodate a downgrade in graphics and the number of zombies on screen.

This looks like quickie (6 months?) RE4-skin with a low budget - something worth considering if released at a $20 budget price point as a casual diversion, not a serious game project. Visuals and presentation don't make or break a game, but they are usually an indication of how much effort went into the game. This looks a few levels below the effort in games like Deadly Creatures, MadWorld, and The Conduit.

Chinner

Banned
Here is something that sticks out:
Wait,can you still screw around between missions?

earlier on I said yes, but upon review it seems like you can only go into a mall AFTER you accept a mission, or when there is a story event.

so, you can screw around during story time which is untimed and un-graded. you CAN screw around during missions too, just keep in mind you are being timed so if you don't mind getting a bad grade technically the whole game is free roam, no area is ever blocked off
So, you can only go into a certain plaza once you've been given a mission? Holy crap.

Tenbatsu

Chinner said:
Here is something that sticks out:

So, you can only go into a certain plaza once you've been given a mission? Holy crap.
Yeap, the guy said its pretty much linear like RE4 rather than Dead Rising. I bet there will be a 'Dead Rising Wii Defense Force':lol

Chinner

Banned
Looks like they've changed the leveling system and upped the importance of the books as well:
Do you start with all your moves?

you can get food, ammo and money.. (don't know what you can buy with that yet

ok i can confirm now u do NOT start w/ all ur moves

instead u earn money n buy books from the weapon store. so far i got 2 books. 1 book teaches u the german suplex (shoot zombie's leg, when they kneel down, go behind them press A) and the other book teaches u the lightsaber combo
Thats not to say the books werent important in DR, cause they are.

Tenbatsu

I bet that if you play it without comparing it with the original, you guys will pretty much enjoy it. I guess Capcom succeeded in turning Dead Rising into a RE4 style game from the impressions by Muka. Good job.

Yeah, getting it this week! But first let me finish Deadly Creatures first!:D

pakkit

Banned
Why didn't we just get a new IP if Capcom just took a different one, completely stripped it of its qualities, and rebuilt it under an extremely different game engine?

Chinner

Banned
hooolllyyy shiitt
3) Can you still use weapons like the katana before you buy the books that teach you the combos or do the books just make you MORE effective at using them.

- no, before u buy books u can only do 1 slash. after u have the book u can do 2 consecutive slashes, thats what they call combo in this game!! haha anyway i just got the book to learn the giant swing now i can grab a zombie by their feet and spin them around
also i just saw a new enemy i think, he got a cut scene introducing him his name is Kent, hes a skinny zombie whos really fast, he does karate kicks, has a handgun and throws grenade. and he takes like 4 shotgun blasts to kill. he pops up occasionally at certain areas.
poor kent :(

Sadist

Heh, or that.

Honestly, it doesn't look that bad, but the pop-in is just ridiculous. I'm really curious about the first sales reports on this one.

How on earth has the Wii achieved to persuade Capcom to be shovelware-like developer with no honor !? :lol

These are really strange days...

After this I can't believe that there will ever be a high-quality mature game from Capcom for Wii....

EDarkness

Linkzg said:
Monster Hunter Tri

I dunno, they can manage to fuck that up, but they'd really have to try.

I'm losing faith...

Don't know if they can do it, but I'm not as excited about Monster Hunter Tri as I was before they started showing it and checking it out at TGS last year.

Tenbatsu

EDarkness said:
I'm losing faith...

Don't know if they can do it, but I'm not as excited about Monster Hunter Tri as I was before they started showing it and checking it out at TGS last year.
Dont worry, MH3 Tri is on the right track.

Tenbatsu said:
Yeap, the guy said its pretty much linear like RE4 rather than Dead Rising. I bet there will be a 'Dead Rising Wii Defense Force':lol
I may be on that. I loved RE4, and RE4 Wii even more. Dead Rising Wii seems like a fun RE4 Total Conversion (in the old quake terms). I'll be picking it up tomorrow.

markatisu

I will be getting my copy after work, basically used some free gamestop gift cards my brother got from e-rewards so if it blows then no harm no foul for me

markatisu

BobFromPikeCreek said:

I am the same person who loved Clone Wars for Wii and Carnival Games, so despite all the negative reviews from "gamers' I am going to give it a fair chance to see how the RE4 engine is being used

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
pops up things are just ghost-zombies hybrid , exclusive for this port as promised .

ghozmbies appears suddenly in front of your face > normal Zombie .

hire me Capcom PR division , I can spin stuff

Top Bottom