• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom announces LOST PLANET 2 (360) - shock&awe imminent

Gravijah

Can someone please explain the point of exclusive marketing months before release, when 90% (a number pulled from my ass) of casual buyers don't give a shit about a title until closer to launch, if not walking past it in retail?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Gravijah said:
Can someone please explain the point of exclusive marketing months before release, when 90% (a number pulled from my ass) of casual buyers don't give a shit about a title until closer to launch, if not walking past it in retail?
Brand association. It's [in theory] a subconscious thing.

Gravijah

Rez said:
Brand association. It's [in theory] a subconscious thing.

I suppose, but say LP2 is being developed for the PS3 too, don't you think they'll have a big press release announcing it later?
It just seems like something that would negate any gains.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Was posting this over in the Mass Effect 2 thread but um, thought it was a bit more pertinent here as well.

243pzr9.jpg

GamesRadar said:
Above: OXM US, on sale April 7. Subscribers get it next week.
OXM UK, meanwhile, hits stands on April 9.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Nirolak said:
Was posting this over in the Mass Effect 2 thread but um, thought it was a bit more pertinent here as well.

243pzr9.jpg

Cool...

Also looks like I should be paying the Mass Effect 2 thread a visit too!

VALIS said:
Shouldn't you just buy a 360 already? I see you in lots of topics complaining about what games/DLC the 360 gets over the PS3, you seem like an avid gamer, shouldn't you just spend 200 bucks so you don't have to complain anymore? Not that I care what you buy, but it's the same puzzling response as last gen when Xbox or GC-only owners whined about games that were only on the PS2. 360 getting more games and DLC seems like the way it's gonna be. People gotta adapt or get over it.

Honestly, I've been thinking the same thing as well for a long time now myself - if you want a game so bad that you want to whine so much about it or are willing to wait for some miracle announcement on the console you do have, then just buy the console and be done with it...

Consoles are for entertainment, not for crying on forums and other nonsense...

thaOwner

Chinner said:
Is that all the information they gave out at the presentation? Must of been pretty short if they were just concentrating on zombie numbers.

Also ironic because I am playing DR right now.

I think there was an event on Dead Rising 2 a while ago and Stephen probably wanted to post what he heard at the show but as far as I can tell, this seems to be the only DR2 news that have come out so far. None of the other sites are even talking about it.

thaOwner

SolidSnakex said:
Clearly Capcom hasn't heard of Ikusagami, a game that maxes out at 65k+ characters on screen. :p

At first I was like 65k, holy shit then I did a Google search and was like :lol . I see what you did there.

Nizz

VALIS said:
Shouldn't you just buy a 360 already? I see you in lots of topics complaining about what games/DLC the 360 gets over the PS3, you seem like an avid gamer, shouldn't you just spend 200 bucks so you don't have to complain anymore? Not that I care what you buy, but it's the same puzzling response as last gen when Xbox or GC-only owners whined about games that were only on the PS2. 360 getting more games and DLC seems like the way it's gonna be. People gotta adapt or get over it.
Fair point. The 360 has plenty of games that I'd like to play. Truth is man, and I'm sorry to bore people to death because I've said it too many times already, I'm out of work right now. I don't have the money to spend on a 360 right now, plus I'm staying with family and room is something I don't have a lot of also.

The point was when a company like Capcom says from here on out, they're multiplatform all the way, then they're all of a sudden vague about this game, I just wonder "what gives?" For the most part, if both consoles are getting the same games, and I like the exclusives the PS3 has, I wonder why do I even have to bother getting both? Most cross-platform games, especially recently, have been on par on both consoles. And I like Killzone 2, I like the God of War series, you know?

It's not that I'm complaining about what games the 360 gets, it's the fact that when we're told that both consoles will be getting the same game, then all of a sudden Capcom's vague about this game...

Hope I cleared it up for you a bit. ;)

Zzoram

fps fanatic said:
Fair point. The 360 has plenty of games that I'd like to play. Truth is man, and I'm sorry to bore people to death because I've said it too many times already, I'm out of work right now. I don't have the money to spend on a 360 right now, plus I'm staying with family and room is something I don't have a lot of also.

The point was when a company like Capcom says from here on out, they're multiplatform all the way, then they're all of a sudden vague about this game, I just wonder "what gives?" For the most part, if both consoles are getting the same games, and I like the exclusives the PS3 has, I wonder why do I even have to bother getting both? Most cross-platform games, especially recently, have been on par on both consoles. And I like Killzone 2, I like the God of War series, you know?

It's not that I'm complaining about what games the 360 gets, it's the fact that when we're told that both consoles will be getting the same game, then all of a sudden Capcom's vague about this game...

Hope I cleared it up for you a bit. ;)

You know that at the worst, it'll be a timed exclusive, so there's nothing to even worry about.

StuBurns

Banned
Zzoram said:
You know that at the worst, it'll be a timed exclusive, so there's nothing to even worry about.
If that. I wouldn't be surprised if it's multiplatform day one.

I don't think PS3 only owners should be at all concerned about this coming to their console.

stuburns said:
If that. I wouldn't be surprised if it's multiplatform day one.

I don't think PS3 only owners should be at all concerned about this coming to their console.

I would be very surprised. I don't see why'd there be secrecy and run around (Are you making this on PS3 as well? "LP is in development for Xbox 360.") answers if it's multiplat day 1. I'm definitely getting a timed exclusive vibe here.

I can see where the ground for worry come from, PS3 didn't get Colonies and you never know what's going to happen this gen, but I definitely think it's going timed. That's just how I feel, though.

StuBurns

Banned
jonnybryce said:
I would be very surprised. I don't see why'd there be secrecy and run around (Are you making this on PS3 as well? "LP is in development for Xbox 360.") answers if it's multiplat day 1. I'm definitely getting a timed exclusive vibe here.

I can see where the ground for worry come from, PS3 didn't get Colonies and you never know what's going to happen this gen, but I definitely think it's going timed. That's just how I feel, though.
Maybe you're right. But the fact that they haven't said it was exclusive makes me think that there might not even be a period of exclusivity. Microsoft could have just requested it to be announced for 360 first, the same as DMC4 was for Sony.

[Nintex]

Maybe they didn't have any PS3 footage to show yet?

They're probably working on Framework 2 for PS3, so as soon as that's done we'll see Lost Planet 2 for PS3 I guess. Unless there's some sort of exclusivity deal in place, but Capcom says "fuck it" to those too(Capcom 5 exclusive? lol, Devil May Cry 4 PS3 exclusive? Think again!, Mega Man 9 WiiWare only, hahaha fat chance!)

GR: What does that say about a PS3 version?

JT: We’re still thinking about it and haven’t announced a PS3 version, so we can’t say more about it just yet.

GR: One of the office complaints about the first game was the canned, stumbling animations that slowed the action. Were those addressed at all?

Kenji Oguro: They’re certainly something we’re trying to improve and make into something that, if it bothered you before, it’s not going to bother you as much. A lot of that is important for balancing the multiplayer modes, so it’s not something we’re able to change hugely.

GR: What facilitated the change from a character-driven story to a “be your own character” co-op experience? Was it a reaction to fans or was it part of the idea from the start?

KO: I guess it comes from the first game’s multiplayer, where you’re one member of a group of Snow Pirates, choosing your own character and way to do things. We took that system and put it into the single-player of Lost Planet 2. By changing the system, we also had to change the focus from one character to a much larger scale, focusing on a group and not an individual.

GR: Do you see RPG elements, like those in Call of Duty 4 and World at War, finding their way into Lost Planet 2’s multiplayer?

KO: We’re thinking of something similar-but-different, but can’t really talk about it at this stage.

GR: LP2 was something of a surprise announcement – it was revealed with a trailer containing gameplay footage, and a few days later we were playing it. How long has Lost Planet 2 been in development, and how hectic has this schedule been, given that the game’s already this far along?

JT: Altogether, it’s probably been in development for about 16 months. As to how hectic it’s been, the world of development is always hectic. Sixteen months, 32 months, there’s never enough time. (laughs)

GR: We know the planet (EDN III) is thawing, evidenced by the palm trees and tropical environments seen in the trailer and screens. If it’s no longer below freezing, what function does the thermal energy (T-ENG) from the first game have? (Its original purpose was to keep you warm and absorb damage.)

KO: You can look at it from two different gameplay perspectives – why you need to pick it up in the game and why you need it for the story, why people are fighting over it. From a gameplay perspective, even though the setting is different, collecting it will still power weapons and the Vital Suits. With four people playing, you’ll need to share the energy – if you don’t, you won’t be able to use the Vital Suits and proceed.

From a story perspective, there’s been a kind of global warming of EDN III. The snowy parts still need the energy, and there are different groups competing for this limited resource. It’s like oil, you’ll still need it for your everyday life.

GR: When you’re sharing the T-ENG, do all four players share one pool of it or do you all have your own collection?

KO: You each have your own pool of energy, and you can share it simply by blasting orbs of it to your teammates, sort of like an energy ball from (Dragon Ball’s) Goku. (laughs).

http://www.gamesradar.com/f/lost-planet-2-exclusive-interview/a-20090407111553661094

Shurs

GR: What does that say about a PS3 version?

JT: We’re still thinking about it and haven’t announced a PS3 version, so we can’t say more about it just yet.

So are they waiting to see if there's enough money in the hat?

Paracelsus

Shurs said:
So are they waiting to see if there's enough money in the hat?

I'm shocked to see that there are still people that don't know that such a phrase is often used as another way to scream "TIMED EXCLUSIVE".

Brelston

Heya,

I'm the author of the interview and today's hands-on:

http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox360/l.../a-2009040810152371055/g-20090227112229501046

I tend to agree that this will be another timed exclusive, if not a day-and-date release. For whatever reason, seems like they want to build buzz on the platform most associated with LP, then move onto the other versions. This is completely theoretical though, I don't have information that leads one way or the other.

Have to say though, what I've played so far (which isn't all that much, still verrry far off) is extremely cool. The boss battle was hugely entertaining, can't wait to see it in context with the regular campaign.

Brelston said:
For whatever reason, seems like they want to build buzz on the platform most associated with LP, then move onto the other versions.

Well that does make some sort of logical sense... at any rate, I'll wager that if the console versions come out on the same day, the PS3 version outsells the 360 version, all things being equal.

I'm really hoping for a PS3 version. I loved the LP1 - was the best MP game on Live until CoD4.

PSGames

Micromegas said:
Well that does make some sort of logical sense... at any rate, I'll wager that if the console versions come out on the same day, the PS3 version outsells the 360 version, all things being equal.

I'm really hoping for a PS3 version. I loved the LP1 - was the best MP game on Live until CoD4.

What in the world would make u think that? :lol

clashfan

Micromegas said:

This is base on the fact that most multi-platform release sells more on the PS3? :lol

Dabanton

Rewatched the trailer for this earlier and really can't wait until we get some more new info or videos. From that interview a few posts up i see Capcom are still being cagey whenever anyone asks about a PS3 version.

Micromegas said:

Madness.:lol

jett

D-Member
I guess I might as well mentioned that Jack Tretton mentioned Lost Planet 2 at the sony conference, lulz.

zlatko

Banned
Orobi said:
zomg!!! :S
4 mins of gameplay trailer from capcom!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90y3qgKSt80

Awesome trailer! @ 2:16 I got a semi chubby, because that outfit looks awesome. :D

I have this game already fully paid off. I've been sold on it ever since they announced it, and after playing the demo for both my 360 and PS3 I can already tell I'm going to get super addicted to the online multiplayer.

HiResDes

jonnybryce said:
Good because if I remember correctly it was scheduled for the same day as Red Dead Redemption and (1)I don't see the point in buying 2 games in one day and (2)Red Dead Redemption would win out of the two.
The point is that you'd potentially be getting two incredible games to play consecutively.

Kasumi1970

my name is Ted
Micromegas said:

Yes...........just like BioShock 2......... Oh wait it didn't. The only game I see selling more on the PS3 is FF13. That because people made a big dill about the res on the game.

RavenFox

Banned
Kasumi1970 said:
Yes...........just like BioShock 2......... Oh wait it didn't. The only game I see selling more on the PS3 is FF13. That because people made a big dill about the res on the game.
I came in here thinking some sweet new info and what we have here is a fan nut who couldn't help from replying to a old ass post from 09. Also your post is filled with wrong.

gcubed

jesus, this thread. I was reading the last page wondering when they pulled the ps3 version, then i got to the magazine cover and finally looked at the dates of the posts.

gcubed said:
jesus, this thread. I was reading the last page wondering when they pulled the ps3 version, then i got to the magazine cover and finally looked at the dates of the posts.

haha you as well? I was utterly confused.

Man I wish they'd bring the proper Search back as Google Search just isnt very good at all with no way to sort by date OR people would just create new topics (or be forced to by mods ushering them to do it more often).

Top Bottom