• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom completely denies that their COO says SF5 could have pay2win mechanics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because sfXtekken didn't teach them anything..
Ironically some gem were MUCH more powerful when used by skilled players than by so called lowbie...
And now, instead of getto-ing lowbie with lowbie in a sort of ranked system done right you strip away the sense of utter defeat from new players that instead of going "man i suck totally, i rwally have to so more practice" to a "damn i was almost there" with them paying you money so that you gove them damage modifier, lazier frame window and stuff like that so that they NEVER learn to play the game right..
Crapcom never fails to amaze me.

I honestly don't get it. It doesn't take a genius to see why this approach is bananas. You barely need to have an understanding of why Dota and LoL are successful to see it. If this is true, I have no faith for the future of the company.

Got to be the one of the dumbest things I've heard. It's no fun to play a skilled game if you have to pay for it.

In fact, how do you pay to increase your skills? I can not even imagine how that would be implemented. There was some game back in the PS1 or PS2 era that allowed you to set how the combos came out. A normal version and easy version for combos. I can't think of the title, but you had that option as you picked the characters. Rival Schools? A Capcom vs SNK game?

But here's the thing, if they pay for a skills upgrade and still lose, then they are really gonna rage. And said person isn't going to learn how to play the game properly if they need paid help.

You know what I think? I think this really means they get 50/50 calls, opp's combo links needs to come out quicker than usual and the reverse for players who paid for the help. I think it'll be a setup hack to give an advantage to people who paid for the help.

Niitris

As a means to achieve that (prevent unskilled players from losing instantaneously), Capcom is looking into possibly implementing some kind of pay-for-advantage system in Street Fighter 5 that will allow new players to cover for their lack of skill in matches.

Gems confirmed.
Everyone prepare for Dark Ages: the sequel.
It was nice while it lasted.

antibolo

Banned
Come on now Capcom. Fighting game people will NOT tolerate f2p bullshit. It has already killed SFxT, and it could even kill SF5. If you do this, you will end up with a similar situation to Smash Bros. where the entire competitive community will just continue playing the previous entry.

Amir0x

Banned
From the Article

No thank you, just let the franchise die off.

Yeah, no thanks Capcom. You're basically starting to become dead to me. RE blows now, Monster Hunter is perpetually stuck on PS2 era hardware, Deep Down is absent again and F2P so who knows if that'll even be any good.

Last game I liked from them was Dragon's Dogma, but there's no indication if we'll see another one of those soon.

Prototype

this is like the 2014 equivalent of people having shit fits claiming EO mode was going to ruin CVS2 forever
Lol!

I think a world tour like mode similar to alpha 3 could work. And keep all the micro transactions in that game mode and it shouldn't be a problem. We'll still have vs play.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
if you are one of the people freaking out, just stop. There will most likely be separate modes.

Not only is this not based in any facts, it isn't based in reality on how these models are effective or what Capcom's done in the past.

Congratulations in your astonishing naivety.

Seyavesh

this is like the 2014 equivalent of people having shit fits claiming EO mode was going to ruin CVS2 forever

on the other hand it's 2014 capcom and sfxt exists

wtfs the relationship tho, isn't eo mode/eo as a whole an input option that caters to simple inputs for folks who don't play

core design aspects potentially based on pay2win is mad different

like literally sfxt's core design aspect includes gems so what is there to be skeptical about because it exists

Pay for advantage in a "competitive" fighter? Especially after that shit pile sfxt happened? lol Okay Capcom. I guess I should just switch over to KI or MK now and get it over with.

So major publishers are killing our hobby with monetization. Great. Something that was once about having fun is now turned into a pay more for less system.

Prototype

Not only is this not based in any facts, it isn't based in reality on how these models are effective or what Capcom's done in the past.

Congratulations in your astonishing naivety.
Oh shit. Lay the facts on me then.

All we have here is a consideration on their part. Capcom also sponsors the capcom pro tour and are at Evo every year, they are aware of their core fans and what they want. They aren't going to isolate them, especially after sfxt.

Maybe you should think before you post.

Seyavesh

they are aware of their core fans and what they want. They aren't going to isolate them, especially after sfxt.

EHjSNfP.png

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Oh shit. Lay the facts on me then.

All we have here is a consideration on their part. Capcom also sponsors the capcom pro tour and are at Evo every year, they are aware of their core fans and what they want. They aren't going to isolate them, especially after sfxt.

You're right, we should assume CAPCOM is going to do what their dedicated fans would want. The facts are a Capcom exec said they're considering a pay to win scheme, there's no reason at all to suspect you can avoid this by playing a different game mode because then most people would, and nobody would have any reason to pay. It's just so far divorced from reality on every level.

Raitaro

Post SF3 era pls. I want to see Ryu as a Ansatsuken Master

KumIEhu.jpg

Never seen this one, but I like it a lot! I agree: SF5 should take place after 3 and as a result feel fresh. I wouldn't mind a prequel to Alpha either though, in which Gouken and Akuma function as the Ryu and Ken (i.e. main protagonists with a similar fighting style) and where Goutetsu debuts to fight against people like a younger Gen and some of the trainers / parents of the later cast. Would feel fresh and be a good series of nods to older fans.

Sigh, we probably won't get either option though if SF4 is any indication (which to me is a game that, while fine mostly, does play it far too safe when it comes to its devotion to nostalgia for SF 2 and Final Fight).

It's hilarious to see just how badly Publishers like Capcom have lost the ability to make their products sound appealing to their own customers.
They talk about monitization like we're meant to get excited about it. Like we're fucking shareholders.
The announcement of a new sequel in a series you love shouldn't really fill you with apprehension and a sense of dread.

It's hilarious to see just how badly Publishers like Capcom have lost the ability to make their products sound appealing to their own customers.
They talk about monitization like we're meant to get excited about it. Like we're fucking shareholders.
The announcement of a new sequel in a series you love shouldn't really fill you with apprehension and a sense of dread.

Resident Evil 7 gets announced that it is free to play. You die in the game, $5 to play again for the day.

def sim

Gosh that would be pretty upsetting. I'm imagining meter boosters for ultras/supers and ex moves, though even something like that is not enough to guarantee a win.

I'd be happy enough to stick to USF4 on PC and current gen consoles.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
That quote is terrifying.

I'm also surprised that they aren't well underway with the game by now.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Never seen this one, but I like it a lot! I agree: SF5 should take place after 3 and as a result feel fresh. I wouldn't mind a prequel to Alpha either though, in which Gouken and Akuma function as the Ryu and Ken (i.e. main protagonists with a similar fighting style) and where Goutetsu debuts to fight against people like a younger Gen and some of the trainers / parents of the later cast. Would feel fresh and be a good series of nods to older fans.

Sigh, we probably won't get either option though if SF4 is any indication (which to me is a game that, while fine mostly, does play it far too safe when it comes to its devotion to nostalgia for SF 2 and Final Fight).
Agreed.

They're probably very comfortable with the SFIV approach, but I'd really like to see significant progression in movesets and the characters themselves.

Funnily enough, MKX is doing that and another thing I've been asking for from SFV forever, which is character variants (although I prefer a mix of isms and gems instead of add/removing moves).

oh god, remember street fighter x tekken, REMEMBER IT
Truly a black mark in Capcom's legacy. Whenever you try to forget about that abomination, it rears it's head again.

Please stop messing with the timeline further. Post SFIII thanks.

• Ryu is Ansatsuken master
  • Kill Gouken again
  • Bring on Mel and Datta, another new generation if you will.
  • No gems or bullshit like that
  • 2D? (I know, I know)
  • Practical tutorials, VF still nails this
  • Bring back the standard single player modes. Makes no sense to leave them out.
  • No hand holding, babyfied nonsene without the option to turn them off and avoid them in online matches
  • Personally, bring back parries or rework them such that it doesn't mean newbies won't stand a chance. Focus was okay but I don't really like it.
  • Another personal dislike, Ultras. Not fond of them.

Definitely agree that vanity items are the way to go rather than a Pay2Win model. Pay2Win just doesn't teach newcomers what they need to know (hence good tutorials).

Anyway, can see this being something well into the future...

I-hate-u

I am glad they learned absolutely nothing from the SFXT disaster. This company is so unaware of its market its freaking hilarious.

"We'd like to steer away from making the next game such that skilled players will win, but unskilled players will lose almost instantaneously," Tsujimoto said.

Hit the jump to read more on what the Capcom president and COO has to say about Street Fighter 5.

As a means to achieve that (prevent unskilled players from losing instantaneously), Capcom is looking into possibly implementing some kind of pay-for-advantage system in Street Fighter 5 that will allow new players to cover for their lack of skill in matches.

The end of Street Fighter is nigh.

yurinka

Hate to see pay to win stuff but well, I also liked SFxT so I don't care.

GREAT TO SEE STREET FIGHTER V IS COMING!!!

I-hate-u

Want to achieve mass market penetration like you always wanted to Capcom? Look at how NR makes their story mode. Thats how you reel in the casuals and make them invested in your whale of potential of lore.

Make a good fighting engine and people will play for a long time, just like Turbo and Marvel 2.

stn

Even more accessible than SF4? WTF are they gonna do, make your mashed reversals be an instant KO? Not liking the sounds of this so far.

Kieli

Even more accessible than SF4? WTF are they gonna do, make your mashed reversals be an instant KO? Not liking the sounds of this so far.

Perhaps make the timing on the combos a little more forgiving? I can't even pull off a 3 hit combo unless I hit the lab and practice for 5 hours. :'(

Krackatoa

It seems like a lot of the issues we've had with Capcom has been coming from their COO, Haruhiro Tsujimoto. Sounds like the quote is from him. He's probably the one who has the hard-on for Pay2Win, regardless of how it impacts the core game and playerbase. I think the suits need to take a step back for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom