• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom does a Sega: less support for the Wii 'cause RE:DSC sold 16k

Status
Not open for further replies.

faridmon

Capcom: Less Wii After Darkside Chronicles Sells Only 16k

French Director General says the audience for hardcore games has left the building.

Looks like everyone's New Year Resolution is to avoid the Wii. The Director General of Capcom France, Antoine Seux, has suggested that the opportunity for 'hardcore' games has dried up following disappointing sales of Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles. This comes as Seux announces that the company will be focusing more on PS3 and Xbox 360 development.

In a lengthy and revealing interview with French website Gamekult (via our wonky translator), Seux states that development on “the Wii was very difficult, with an oversupply [of games] and a gamer market that has radically changed. [So-called “gamer's games”] are selling less and less on the console, [be it] MadWorld or Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop or House of the Dead: Overkill.”

Capcom's recent on-rails shooter, Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles, sold a total of only 16,000 units after three weeks on sale by 23rd December 2009. In contrast Seux notes that Resident Evil 4 sold 140,000 units back at its release in June 2007. The problem, he suggests, is the change in audience. “One feels that there is a problem very clear on this style of game on the Wii, where gamers have obviously moved on. Resident Evil 4 on Wii worked well, but [it was released] when the market had nothing!”

“The customer of [the Wii] has turned into something [of a] much broader audience. It is a disappointment,” says Seux, who feels that the only chance to get a game noticed on the platform is to support it with “massive advertising campaigns” such as Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games and New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

It's a surprising statement from one of the most loyal supporters of the Wii. Just a few years ago Capcom had gone so far as to switch development of its long-awaited Monster Hunter Tri from PlayStation 3 to Nintendo's platform, while titles such as Zack and Wiki and the Okami remake failed to grab as many gamers as the company would have hoped. Darkside Chronicles' lack of sales is a stark contrast to the success of its predecessor, The Umbrella Chronicles.

“This is the year of the emergence of so-called 'new console generation',” Seux concludes, referring to the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. “The Wii is still an important part of sales, but growth is on both [Sony and Microsoft's] platforms. The Wii console is very much a family commitment... for us, Capcom, the future is the PlayStation 3 and the Xbox 360.”

Seux's interview follows comments from Sega America's Constantine Hantzopoulos on a price cut for Nintendo's console, whilst in the same podcast declaring an end to developing 'hardcore games' like MadWorld and House of the Dead on the platform. Michael Pachter today went on record to predict a sales slump for the Wii in 2010.

well, this sucks, Nintendo is having parties over its sales of thier games while Sega and Capcom is having nightmares about the consonles. too bad i liked Capcom games on the Wii :(

lock and mock if old guys.

source:http://news.*****.com/article/20105/Capcom-Less-Wii-After-Darkside-Chronicles-Sells-Only-16k

be gentle guys, this is only my second thread i ever did on GAF

[edit] crap, i didn't know sponge was banned. is it ok to post this news?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It seems like a repeat of Gamecube with all the third party support dying! Except in this case Wii owns the world, so instead of abandoning the Nintendo console outright.. they're all just abandoning real games in favor of cheaply developed crap they can sell to a large mainstream audience based on concept alone.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
says Seux, who feels that the only chance to get a game noticed on the platform is to support it with “massive advertising campaigns” such as Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games and New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

I don't necessarily disagree with his larger claims about the trending of the audience, but this little gem is hilarious. Who knew that if you told a consumer about something they'd be more likely to buy it? Tell people about your damn games!

Now... I did see subway ads for RE: DSC and I saw it in more places than most games, but the ads themselves weren't exactly appealing to me.

They tried to do the family friendly thing with groups of people shooting zombies and it didn't really work.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Maybe if they could stop releasing "test" games, they would actually see success on the Wii.

RE fans wanted a new RE that was similar to RE4 Wii, not another damn onrail shooters. I thought that was kind of obvious, but noo.

RESIDENT EVIL 4 WORKED BECAUSE IT WAS A GAME PEOPLE WANTED TO FUCKING PLAY YOU IDIOT.

Makes me so angry. I bought RE4 twice and enjoyed it immensely. I didn't buy Dark Side Chronicles because I'm tired of light gun games. It's that simple.

Sadist

France

France

Also, I think this little tidbit confirms that RE: UC was a succes because of RE 4 Wii Edition being so awesome.

I dunno.

People bought UC on the promise of better things.

Better things, to Capcom, was DSC.

So, people didn't buy DSC because they knew better.

If this happened with UC, the worst thing that would have come out of it was no DSC.

Test games beget test games.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
It's Capcom's own damn fault.

"Hey look! Resident Evil 4 sold very well on the console! Instead of maybe developing more titles like that (maybe even Resident Evil 5 for the console), lets make LIGHT GUN GAMES!"

BocoDragon said:
It seems like a repeat of Gamecube with all the third party support dying! Except in this case Wii owns the world, so instead of abandoning the Nintendo console outright.. they're all just abandoning real games in favor of cheaply developed crap they can sell to a large mainstream audience based on concept alone.

I dont know about that. Somebody is going to need to figure out how to consistently and successfully sell third party games on the Wii

jeremy1456

Sadist said:
France

France

Also, I think this little tidbit confirms that RE: UC was a succes because of RE 4 Wii Edition being so awesome.

And that RE: DC isn't a success because of RE: UC not being a very good game.

linkboy

Freedom = $1.05 said:
I think that's exactly what got us into this mess in the first place.

No, Capcom treating every game they released as a test is what them into this mess in the first place.

Them totally failing to realize why RE4 sold as well as it did got them into the mess in the first place.

Them porting over the GC RE games for no reason at all got them into this mess in the first place.

Them think an on-rail shooter would sell well two times in a row got them into this mess in the first place.

Them porting over Dead Rising from the 360 and expecting it to sell well got them into this mess.

Capcom had a golden opportunity after RE4: Wii with the Wii and they blew it. Another RE game using that engine would have sold great, to bad they wasted that opportunity with a bad 360 port and some light gun games.

Drek

Shiggy said:
What about creating good games as well as advertising them?
Dead Space Extraction is a good game.

House of the Dead: Overkill is a good game.

Madworld is a good game.

None of them sold well.

Maybe these guys who with upper management positions for successful multi-million dollar companies like Capcom know what they're talking about a bit more than a bunch of fans on a message board?

Its not like this is some guy who works for a scrub 3rd party or indie developer. He works for Capcom, one of the most consistently successful 3rd parties in the world, and one that stepped into this new generation with both a desire to support the Wii and the best 360/PS3 cross platform model of anyone in the industry already in mind.

They generally seem to have a clue.

markot

Banned
Kintaro said:
It's Capcom's own damn fault.

"Hey look! Resident Evil 4 sold very well on the console! Instead of maybe developing more titles like that (maybe even Resident Evil 5 for the console), lets make LIGHT GUN GAMES!"
You obviously dont have the IQ to be an executive at a third party games company.

goldenpp72

so re5 sells 5+ million and this wont break 500k?

Sounds like wii is the future for capcom, I mean, everyone hates re5 right? :lol

Waiting to see how this thread goes up in flames based on a comment from a dude at a Capcom division that doesn't matter in the slightest.

HEY THREAD, before we get really started lets begin the discussion on whether or not The French Director of Capcom is in any position to be making "big calls" and should be bluntly referred to as 'Capcom' in the thread title, THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.

AndyD

aka andydumi
El_TigroX said:
I don't necessarily disagree with his larger claims about the trending of the audience, but this little gem is hilarious. Who knew that if you told a consumer about something they'd be more likely to buy it? Tell people about your damn games!

Now... I did see subway ads for RE: DSC and I saw it in more places than most games, but the ads themselves weren't exactly appealing to me.

They tried to do the family friendly thing with groups of people shooting zombies and it didn't really work.

I think he means that Nintendo is rolling in money and they can outspend and outadvertise everyone else and thus get the lions share of the sales.

So unless a third party developer is willing to spend those tens of millions on advertising alone, not even development, the games have little chance. And thats tens of millions per game.

Is he also suggesting or at least implying that on the Wii you need the massive advertising regardless of the quality of the game, whereas on the 360/PS3 you don't as you can rely on the quality of the game more, or maybe use cheaper non traditional advertising to reach the market?

And @ BonusPoint above, the article quote says "The Wii console is very much a family commitment... for us, Capcom, the future is the PlayStation 3 and the Xbox 360". So it sounds like the title fits the quote at least.

Vdragoon

Drek said:

Madworld is a good game.

None of them sold well.

Maybe these guys who with upper management positions for successful multi-million dollar companies like Capcom know what they're talking about a bit more than a bunch of fans on a message board?

Its not like this is some guy who works for a scrub 3rd party or indie developer. He works for Capcom, one of the most consistently successful 3rd parties in the world, and one that stepped into this new generation with both a desire to support the Wii and the best 360/PS3 cross platform model of anyone in the industry already in mind.

House of the Dead sold well enough and I have no idea why you expect such a niche game as Madworld to sell.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
markot said:
You obviously dont have the IQ to be an executive at a third party games company.

Nope. I haven't ran head first into brick walls enough in my life yet.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Sounds good to me. The Wii clearly doesn't need this support and is succeeding without Capcom. I'd rather play Capcom games on the 360 and PS3.

markot

Banned
Drek said:

Madworld is a good game.

A: No advertising - Light Gun game
B: No advertising - Light Gun game
C: Black and white, limited appeal, over the top... etc...

goldenpp72

markot said:

Good thing they tried so hard on the wii too.

okami, Re4, zack and wiki, dead rising, re:UC and DSC, id say that's pretty decent support, nothing amazing, but a lot better than some.

markot said:
A: No advertising - Light Gun game
B: No advertising - Light Gun game
C: Black and white, limited appeal, over the top... etc...

Always excuses, it's easy to pinpoint why any game bombs, but the fact is, they are genuine efforts, a game like overlord on 360/ps3 probably outsells all of these wii games despite being non marketed and 'average', the wii audience seems to be rejecting the hardcore non nintendo titles.

I've personally really enjoyed some of them, but when a game like klonoa comes out and sells 5 copies even at 30 bucks, it's just shitty. Perhaps the devs aren't giving the wii the best they could, but how will it look when a game like madworld is outsold by bayonetta?

stuminus3

Two things:

1. Darkside Chronicles is actually a really good game, and it would be a shame to miss it just because it's not the same kind of game as RE4/5.

2. Darkside Chronicles probably wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the Wii, which would also be a shame, because I like lots of different kinds of games.

In conclusion:

There's no real point to this post, you could even say it's irrelevant. Carry on.

Grecco

I love how spinoffs and on rails shooters are expected to sell on Wii, but major expensive games can bomb on a consistant basis on the other two consoles and third parties dont give a lick. :lol

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
SecretBonusPoint said:
HEY THREAD, before we get really started lets begin the discussion on whether or not The French Director of Capcom is in any position to be making "big calls" and should be bluntly referred to as 'Capcom' in the thread title, THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.
Like I said, sans Microsoft and western developers, we shouldn't post news that doesn't come straight out of Japan.

ZAK

DSC? Shouldn't they be basing this decision on Overkill's sales? Oh look, they are. Yeah, Capcom and Sega, budz 4 eva!

Sadist

Drek said:

Madworld is a good game.

None of them sold well.

Well, it doesn't apply for Capcom because they are one of the few actually making money on the HD consoles.

But still, there are reasons why games like MadWorld or Extraction didn't sell. It wasn't about marketing, but appeal. Especialy Extraction had that problem.

Dead Space comes to Wii!

Yay!

It's going to be a prequal!

Yay!

It's going to be a rail-shooter!

*Cricket sounds*

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
SecretBonusPoint said:

Sadly this will be lost in the 10 plus pages that will occur.

I really hope this thread is locked.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
You guys have to face facts. Hardcore games on the Wii are niche products. Even the best ground-up made-for-the-system non-lightgun games are selling low. The real audience for these games are on the 360 and PS3, and developers will sell more on these systems.

Learn to deal with it.

Zenith

Banned
[So-called “gamer's games”] are selling less and less on the console, [be it] MadWorld or Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop or House of the Dead: Overkill.”

A niche brawler, a bad port and an outdated lightgun game.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
ZealousD said:
Even the best ground-up made-for-the-system non-lightgun games are selling low. .

Umm..what games would those be? Mad World?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom