• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: Resident Evil on Wii in 2007, More Wii Announcements Soon

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
AniHawk said:
I might end up buying Metroid Prime 3. But that's a sleep aid and not a game.
Metroid Prime 3 being a non-game and thus selling billions in Japan CONFIRMED! :lol

ksamedi

AniHawk said:
Sonic and the Secret Rings
Super Paper Mario
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Resident Evil: UC Santa Cruz
Fire Emblem: Goddess of Dawn

I might end up buying Metroid Prime 3. But that's a sleep aid and not a game.

I thought you was a big Nights fan.

AniHawk

ksamedi said:
I thought you was a big Nights fan.

This is just from what's been confirmed for the system. Obviously if it's headed to the Wii in the US, I'll pick it up.

If not, SMG seems to have a little bit of NiGHTS covered. Just a little bit though.

I certainly hope RE:UC turns out at least good... But I'm really not holding my breath for it.
As for the Inafune's new IP, I obviously hope it will be an interesting project as well, but for a reason I'm still not entirely confident in it. "Bad feeling", we call that...
Oh , I guess we will see.

Stormbringer said:
I certainly hope RE:UC turns out at least good... But I'm really not holding my breath for it.
As for the Inafune's new IP, I obviously hope it will be an interesting project as well, but for a reason I'm still not entirely confident in it. "Bad feeling", we call that...
Oh , I guess we will see.

One can assume that as soon as the Wii started selling out, Capcom gave RE:UC more priority, simply because it will land on the most popular Japanese system (and a very popular American one). I am sure that Capcom won't dare miss out on a chance of earning money with a potential high-profitable exclusive, and won't dare have the game turn out bad and lose sales.

Saoh

what what? o_O

people are doubting Capcom and RE? all four RE´s with RE4 engine, it´s hard to get it wrong. cant wait for this game!! :D 2007 is going to be awesome

i also can´t wait for the inminent announcement of RE5 coming to Wii. DMC4 bitches!

splattergnome said:
One can assume that as soon as the Wii started selling out, Capcom gave RE:UC more priority, simply because it will land on the most popular Japanese system (and a very popular American one). I am sure that Capcom won't dare miss out on a chance of earning money with a potential high-profitable exclusive, and won't dare have the game turn out bad and lose sales.

Capcom am beef with Nintendo.

splattergnome said:

I guess. But I just had the impression that Capcom wasn't intending to give their Wii projects sufficient resources to make them anything other than quick cash-in and rehashes. I'm pretty sure that was Capcom's stance not so long ago, but this might have effectively changed. Once again, we will see.

ziran

Stormbringer said:
I guess. But I just had the impression that Capcom wasn't intending to give their Wii projects sufficient resources to make them anything other than quick cash-in and rehashes. I'm pretty sure that was Capcom's stance not so long ago, but this might have effectively changed. Once again, we will see.
There definitely seems to be issues between Capcom and Nintendo, for whatever reasons, but the logical thing would be RE4 engine with improvements, new graphics and Wii controls. This seems like such a no brainer for a cost effective major seller Capcom would be utterly retarded not to do it.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
ziran said:
There definitely seems to be issues between Capcom and Nintendo, for whatever reasons, but the logical thing would be RE4 engine with improvements, new graphics and Wii controls. This seems like such a no brainer for a cost effective major seller Capcom would be utterly retarded not to do it.

The short answer is Capcom got burned on that whole Resident Evil Gamecube deal.

Where do people get this idea of a beef between Capcom and Nintendo from?

I see no evidence of that at all. All these comments seem to stem from the moment Capcom announced the PS2 RE4 port, which didn't exactly setting the world alight in sales either.

zallaaa

I wouldn't spit on a new Breath of Fire but I won't hold my breath. I hope they will show something about RE asap, we don't know anything...

radioheadrule83 said:

I see no evidence of that at all. All these comments seem to stem from the moment Capcom announced the PS2 RE4 port, which didn't exactly setting the world alight in sales either.

Capcom is more than capable of making great games on any platform(see MHP on the PSP and Lost Planet and Dead Rising on the 360). Yet we haven't seen any substantial effort(announced or otherwise) on the Wii. Then there's that Wii kiddy comment thing.

Let's see:

360: Lost Planet($40million dollahs!), Dead Rising, Devil May Cry 4, Resident Evil 5
PS3: Devil May Cry 4, Resident Evil 5, Monster Hunter 3
Wii: Recycled Resident Evil, kiddy Treasure Island Z

The Wii and the PS3 was released in a similar timeframe yet the Wii is getting the short end of the stick, considering it is whopping the PS3's ass(quite hard to boot) and whopping the 360's sales everywhere. Even if they make Resident Evil UC great, Capcom still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. They could have made a new non-kiddy IP for the Wii like what they did with the 360(and that $40 risk) seeing that the risks are minimal. But they didn't. Not even an announcement and the unnamed IP is already being alluded to being mascotty and kiddy.

I love how Treasure Island is already branded as 'kiddy' solely because of its art style. Some of you Nintendo fans are NO better than the people who look at Mario and Cel shaded Zelda and instantly brand it as 'kiddy'.

chibcicylist said:
Capcom is more than capable of making great games on any platform(see MHP on the PSP and Lost Planet and Dead Rising on the 360). Yet we haven't seen any substantial effort(announced or otherwise) on the Wii. Then there's that Wii kiddy comment thing.

*snip*

The Wii and the PS3 was released in a similar timeframe yet the Wii is getting the short end of the stick, considering it is whopping the PS3's ass(quite hard to boot) and whopping the 360's sales everywhere. Even if they make Resident Evil UC great, Capcom still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. They could have made a new non-kiddy IP for the Wii like what they did with the 360(and that $40 risk) seeing that the risks are minimal. But they didn't. Not even an announcement and the unnamed IP is already being alluded to being mascotty and kiddy.

That is not Capcom's sole fault - most third parties fell into the trap of not realizing that the Wii would be so successful - particularly with a new older demographic. And the less than one year since last E3 (when it was realized that Nintendo had something potentially big with the Wii) is not a long time to have made great strides in anything but the smallest of game productions.

Capcom was intelligent enough to have a spin-off RE for the Wii, just in case - and they have to make it good if they want to continue having a chance in that market for future games. Seeing the Wii's success in the east and west (their main target), they probably have already greenlighted some more titles already which will arrive in 2008.

Magicpaint said:
I love how Treasure Island is already branded as 'kiddy' solely because of its art style. Some of you Nintendo fans are NO better than the people who look at Mario and Cel shaded Zelda and instantly brand it as 'kiddy'.

It's not that. It's Capcom's view of the console that worries me. I like kiddy, I lovee Mario, I like Wind Waker but I even I realize that the Wii needs the realistically proportioned protagonist and characters to attract a significant chunk of the market and seal the win for the Wii once and for all.

splattergnome said:
That is not Capcom's sole fault - most third parties fell into the trap of not realizing that the Wii would be so successful - particularly with a new older demographic. And the less than one year since last E3 (when it was realized that Nintendo had something potentially big with the Wii) is not a long time to have made great strides in anything but the smallest of game productions.

Capcom was intelligent enough to have a spin-off RE for the Wii, just in case - and they have to make it good if they want to continue having a chance in that market for future games. Seeing the Wii's success in the east and west (their main target), they probably have already greenlighted some more titles already which will arrive in 2008.

That's the thing. The Wii had waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more hype than the 360 yet the latter got two great IPs(especially Lost Planet and its mega budget) early on. The Wii support should have been more substantial by now.

If what you say of greenlighted projects is true, then Capcom better announce them soon. Not just one but at least three. Now is the opportune time to build hype for new IPs since the Wii third party lineup is rather sparse compared to the competition. Big fish, small pond and all that.

angelfly

SonicMegaDrive said:
I'll say the same thing that I said when I heard about the annoucement of Mega Man for the N64 and Gamecube.

Classic Mega Man pls.

As much as I love the classic style Mega Man I'd love a new Mega Man Legends game even more. The the one game I want Capcom to resurrect most.

AirBrian

I just hope this doesn't turn into another "Capcom 5" type situation. The way the Wii has launched versus the way GameCube did leads me to think it won't, but still, you never know.

angelfly

AirBrian said:
I just hope this doesn't turn into another "Capcom 5" type situation. The way the Wii has launched versus the way GameCube did leads me to think it won't, but still, you never know.

I might be in the minority but I loved the Capcom 5 (well 4).

Saoh said:
what what? o_O

people are doubting Capcom and RE? all four RE´s with RE4 engine, it´s hard to get it wrong. cant wait for this game!!

from what we know so far, the game will only have one or two stages taken from the previous games... that's not a lot...

can't wait to get more annoucements though, this game should normally be great

radcliff

radioheadrule83 said:

Capcom once asked Nintendo to make a financial investment in them when they were having financial difficulties. Nintendo refused the request and said they don't make those types of investments in 3rd parties. Shortly after, they made an investment in Bandai. Capcom probably wasn't amused.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
chibcicylist said:
That's the thing. The Wii had waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more hype than the 360 yet the latter got two great IPs(especially Lost Planet and its mega budget) early on. The Wii support should have been more substantial by now.

If what you say of greenlighted projects is true, then Capcom better announce them soon. Not just one but at least three. Now is the opportune time to build hype for new IPs since the Wii third party lineup is rather sparse compared to the competition. Big fish, small pond and all that.

The Wii had more hype than the 360, when?
At E3? Prior to E3, the Wii had buzz, but it wasn't a significant form of hype till after the show. And in case you forgot, Dead Rising and Lost Planet were playable at that E3 - so obviously, those games were greenlit well, well before E3.

Also if you recall, Dead Rising came out 9 months after the Xbox 360 launch. Capcom never brings out big guns during the launch window of a system, they usually reserve their new titles/big guns till a large userbase is already established on the system (see: dead rising, DMC4).

DR and LP were planned, greenlight, and developed before "Wii" was even called "Wii", I'm sure. There was no hype then. Capcom isn't doing anything different with the Wii then they've had with any other system - they've already announced AT LEAST 3 titles, Treasure Island Z, REUC, and Devil Kings (2 of them 'non-kiddy) and the Wii has only been out 4 months. That's about the same development cycle DR and LP saw. So whose playing favorites and not giving Nintendo enough attention?

They have the first - and only? - Mature title out ont he DS, so don't say they aren't supporting Mature userbases. That sounds grubby to me. They are doing nothing but making sound business decisions and being consistant with their previous efforts.

edit: added Devil Kings, forgot about that one.

radcliff said:
Capcom once asked Nintendo to make a financial investment in them when they were having financial difficulties. Nintendo refused the request and said they don't make those types of investments in 3rd parties. Shortly after, they made an investment in Bandai. Capcom probably wasn't amused.

I believe they said they'd welcome investment, but the main reason for the comment was they were denying a Nintendo buyout.

Relations seem pretty good to me in many respects, albeit the lack of announcements may indeed mean they felt the need to be cautious towards Wii.

The Zelda / Flagship partnership was a success, Phoenix Wright, Resident Evil, Viewtiful Joe, MegaMan titles on DS and so forth, titles appearing on Virtual Console...

I think their first real Wii game unveilings will reveal a lot about how the partnership has changed since the Capcom 5, if at all.

John Harker said:
The Wii had more hype than the 360, when?
At E3? Prior to E3, the Wii had buzz, but it wasn't a significant form of hype till after the show. And in case you forgot, Dead Rising and Lost Planet were playable at that E3 - so obviously, those games were greenlit well, well before E3.

Also if you recall, Dead Rising came out 9 months after the Xbox 360 launch. Capcom never brings out big guns during the launch window of a system, they usually reserve their new titles/big guns till a large userbase is already established on the system (see: dead rising, DMC4).

DR and LP were planned, greenlight, and developed before "Wii" was even called "Wii", I'm sure. There was no hype then. Capcom isn't doing anything different with the Wii then they've had with any other system - they've already announced AT LEAST 3 titles, Treasure Island Z, REUC, and Devil Kings (2 of them 'non-kiddy) and the Wii has only been out 4 months. That's about the same development cycle DR and LP saw. So whose playing favorites and not giving Nintendo enough attention?

They have the first - and only? - Mature title out ont he DS, so don't say they aren't supporting Mature userbases. That sounds grubby to me. They are doing nothing but making sound business decisions and being consistant with their previous efforts.

edit: added Devil Kings, forgot about that one.

That's my point. LP and DR was planned way before the 360 even had any semblance of hype but the Wii was out the door blazing way before launch and Wii got...nothing today. Wii development cycle is supposed to be significantly shorter to boot.

I'm talking about hype relative to their life, not aligned with each other. And Devil Kings is hardly $40 million dollah Lost Planet.

radioheadrules said:
I think their first real Wii game unveilings will reveal a lot about how the partnership has changed since the Capcom 5, if at all.

I hope to god's penis you're right.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
chibcicylist said:
That's my point. LP and DR was planned way before the 360 even had any semblance of hype but the Wii was out the door blazing way before launch and Wii got...nothing today. Wii development cycle is supposed to be significantly shorter to boot.

I'm talking about hype relative to their life, not aligned with each other. And Devil Kings is hardly $40 million dollah Lost Planet.

I hope to god's penis you're right.

LP came out over a year after the Xbox 360 came out.
I don't know when it was announced, but I doubt it was announced this early in the Xbox 360 lifecycle. I imagine there is plenty to "match" it - Wii doesnt need $40 million budgets for good games :lol

Treasure Planet will probably come out August/Sept? That's 9 months in - same as Dead Rising for the 360. Both new IPs aimed to sell to the current existing userbase of the system.

Devil Kings 2 is a freebe, that's like a bonus.

I'm sure REUC will "match" LP in terms of production - it's their damn flagship series - and most likely come out in less time than it took LP to release. Not to mention, Capcom has more unnanouced titles in development.

I don't know, it seems to me the Wii is getting even more projects at this point in its lifecycle (See: 4 months) than the 360 did. Can't see what you're really trying to say, then.

John Harker said:
I don't know, it seems to me the Wii is getting even more projects at this point in its lifecycle (See: 4 months) than the 360 did. Can't see what you're really trying to say, then.

Doesn't seem that way to me tbh. More projects doesn't necessarily mean quality. Wii doesnt need $40 million, true but I want serious marketing efforts like they did with Lost Planet. I mean serious, hardcore bleeding age marketing. Hopefully, the new announcement(announcements?) will appease me soon enough.:)

Magicpaint said:

Yeah, i can imagine all the happy X360- and PS3-gamer, if Devil May Cry 4 had the style of Treasure Island.
:-/
What´s Capcom doing at the moment is console-racism. They give MS and Sony their typical hardcore-games, and Wii...gets kiddy-crap or cheap recycle-games.
Capcom, as well as many other developers, have to understand soemthing basic: Nintendo-FAns are NOT buying Mario-games because of the kiddy-visuals. They´re buying Mario-games because they´re great games with near to perfect gameplay. You can say what you want, but neither will Treasure Island feature great gameplay, nor will RE:UC be more than a stupid lightgun-like shooter without any story, just old scenes of former RE-games where you shoot zombies and monsters.

Capcom should start giving Wii some serious franchises...new serious RE, Monster Hunter, DMC, Streetfighter, etc..

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
John Harker said:
LP came out over a year after the Xbox 360 came out.
I don't know when it was announced, but I doubt it was announced this early in the Xbox 360 lifecycle. I imagine there is plenty to "match" it - Wii doesnt need $40 million budgets for good games :lol

Treasure Planet will probably come out August/Sept? That's 9 months in - same as Dead Rising for the 360. Both new IPs aimed to sell to the current existing userbase of the system.

Devil Kings 2 is a freebe, that's like a bonus.

I'm sure REUC will "match" LP in terms of production - it's their damn flagship series - and most likely come out in less time than it took LP to release. Not to mention, Capcom has more unnanouced titles in development.

I want to get in on this whole quoting what the last person said thing. I rule.

MasterMFauli said:
Capcom should start giving Wii some serious franchises...new serious RE, Monster Hunter, DMC, Streetfighter, etc..

I think new franchises from Capcom will do more good to the Wii than any spin-off of these recycled franchises that are already well adapted to others consoles. I'm talking about new franchises from any genres, even the genres of the games you quote. In any case, that's what I would personally like to see.

ethelred

chibcicylist said:
It's not that. It's Capcom's view of the console that worries me. I like kiddy, I lovee Mario, I like Wind Waker but I even I realize that the Wii needs the realistically proportioned protagonist and characters to attract a significant chunk of the market and seal the win for the Wii once and for all.

And why is it Capcom's responsibility to provide those? If the Wii needs those games so badly, then maybe Nintendo should step up to the plate, ditch its cartoon mascots for once in its existence, and create some new mature games on its own. Bitching at Capcom for not developing the games that Nintendo is too cowardly to is hardly fair.

MasterMFauli said:
What´s Capcom doing at the moment is console-racism. They give MS and Sony their typical hardcore-games, and Wii...gets kiddy-crap or cheap recycle-games.
Capcom, as well as many other developers, have to understand soemthing basic: Nintendo-FAns are NOT buying Mario-games because of the kiddy-visuals. They´re buying Mario-games because they´re great games with near to perfect gameplay. You can say what you want, but neither will Treasure Island feature great gameplay, nor will RE:UC be more than a stupid lightgun-like shooter without any story, just old scenes of former RE-games where you shoot zombies and monsters.

This is why third parties hate making games on Nintendo systems: the Nintendo fans.

ethelred said:
And why is it Capcom's responsibility to provide those? If the Wii needs those games so badly, then maybe Nintendo should step up to the plate, ditch its cartoon mascots for once in its existence, and create some new mature games on its own. Bitching at Capcom for not developing the games that Nintendo is too cowardly to is hardly fair.

It's not Nintendo's style. It is, Capcom's however(well, diversity is). Remember, the Wii is not a primarily Nintendo console. It's the Wii, not the Nintendo Wii. It's time for Capcom to recognize that.

chibcicylist said:
It's not Nintendo's style. It is, Capcom's however(well, diversity is). Remember, the Wii is not a primarily Nintendo console. It's the Wii, not the Nintendo Wii. It's time for Capcom to recognize that.

If it's not Nintendo's style, then why in the world should it be the style of Nintendo's console?

Nintendo is the biggest game publisher on their systems, bar none. If they want to set about changing the image of their machine, they have to realize it starts with them.

Otherwise, they keep getting bright colourful games. I'm fine with that. If you're not, whine to Nintendo, not the 3rd parties who follow Nintendo's lead.

Yeah, evil Nintendo-fans, why do they like variety...they should be happy with ONLY kiddy-games, yeah...

They seem perfectly happy buying all the 'kiddy' stuff Nintendo churns out. How are the 3rd parties supposed to tell if the Nintendo fans want 'edgey' and 'mature' games as well?

ethelred

MasterMFauli said:
Yeah, evil Nintendo-fans, why do they like variety...they should be happy with ONLY kiddy-games, yeah...

I don't know, Capcom's making two games and you've immediately written both of them off -- one as kiddy and guaranted to have bad gameplay, and the other as likely to have even worse gameplay and to just be a stupid game. So why should they develop more games for you? It doesn't sound like you want variety, it sounds like you just want Nintendo games.

chibcicylist said:

So because it's not Nintendo's "style" to develop anything other than cartoony mascot games, Capcom should be forced to do so and you're worried about Capcom's view of the console (not Nintendo's) and blame Capcom for the Wii not getting the games it needs to to attract a significant share of the market.

Like I said: if these are the games you want so badly, then Capcom isn't the company you need to pin the blame on, as it is Nintendo's responsibility to step up to the plate here. Don't complain about other companies following Nintendo's example with development.

Eteric Rice

Pureauthor said:
If it's not Nintendo's style, then why in the world should it be the style of Nintendo's console?

Nintendo is the biggest game publisher on their systems, bar none. If they want to set about changing the image of their machine, they have to realize it starts with them.

Otherwise, they keep getting bright colourful games. I'm fine with that. If you're not, whine to Nintendo, not the 3rd parties who follow Nintendo's lead.

They seem perfectly happy buying all the 'kiddy' stuff Nintendo churns out. How are the 3rd parties supposed to tell if the Nintendo fans want 'edgey' and 'mature' games as well?

By trying to make an edgy, mature game?

Besides, all those "colorful" games usually kick the shit out of third party mature games. *shrugs*

kruskev

Stormbringer said:
I think new franchises from Capcom will do more good to the Wii than any spin-off of these recycled franchises that are already well adapted to others consoles. I'm talking about new franchises from any genres, even the genres of the games you quote. In any case, that's what I would personally like to see.

Man wouldn't it be great if wii got a DMC Vergil spinoff?

It's about the console audience, the Wii has more casual gamers and a better audience for party games or the E rated games, kiddy games if you want to call them that.

=various said:
why do you buy kiddy ninty games

Here's the thing, Nintendo games actually are very good and time tested. Non-Nintendo ones, not so much.

But eh, I'll stop. It's no use arguing with ethelred because he/she's as stubborn as I am(I love you ethel and I love reading your posts).

And golly gee, that's what they're doing with REUC.
It's still recycled until proven otherwise. To me anyway. If it was RE5, maybe I'll agree with you.

Pureauthor said:

The difference:

Nintendo games are often kiddy, but have their very own smpathic style AND near to perfect gameplay. Treasure Island might visually be appealing to some people, but overall its not a special style and not a style to like. And sorry, but just from looking at the screen, from seeng how the environment is designedd, i can feel how boring the gameplay is going to be. Run around in clunky animations, do trivial stuff, like collecting certain things and solving some block-puzzles...*yawn*

Mario Galaxy looks kiddy, but look how new, fresh and epic the game looks.

The Wii-demographic doesnt like kiddy-looking-games, they like good games.
DMC4 on Wii wouldnt sell much less on Wii than on X360.

KINGMOKU

Prime crotch said:
It's about the console audience, the Wii has more casual gamers and a better audience for party games or the E rated games, kiddy games if you want to call them that.
Whew. Glad you cleared up the Wii's demographic for us. So I assume that the 360 crowd is the baldspacemarinelovetopilebodiesonthefloor demographic?

ethelred

MasterMFauli said:
Nintendo games are often kiddy, but have their very own smpathic style AND near to perfect gameplay. Treasure Island might visually be appealing to some people, but overall its not a special style and not a style to like. And sorry, but just from looking at the screen, from seeng how the environment is designedd, i can feel how boring the gameplay is going to be. Run around in clunky animations, do trivial stuff, like collecting certain things and solving some block-puzzles...*yawn*

So... Zelda, then.

Top Bottom