• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Carrier moving Trump jobs to Mexico

Carrier, the heating and air-conditioning manufacturer, is laying off more than 600 employees from its Indianapolis plant next month, the same plant Trump vowed to keep on American soil, per CNBC. Those manufacturing jobs will go to Mexico, where labor is significantly cheaper.

Why it matters: Trump heralded the November deal as proof he'd live up to his pledge to protect U.S. jobs. And this comes just one day after Ford reversed its promise and shifted jobs to China instead of Mexico.

https://www.axios.com/carrier-moving-jobs-trump-vowed-to-save-to-mexico-2446291250.html

The kicker is that the tax breaks Carrier is getting as part of the deal is going towards investing in automation.

Didn't we know from Trump's original "deal" that several hundred would be laid off regardless? But Trump's "deal" kept from closing the entire facility, right?

kirblar

Didn't we know from Trump's original "deal" that several hundred would be laid off regardless? But Trump's "deal" kept from closing the entire facility, right?
The extra money they got helped them buy more machines which let them close it faster!

Running on Trump when he has a record (if he makes it to 2020) will be very different than fighting him as an unknown political figure.

slider

From a casual glance by an outsider, it did feel like companies were cowed. Maybe they now understand, or at least think, that:

- he's thick
- he's a bully
- his leverage is unclear
- and, finally, he's thick

The facility is staying open until automation takes over. Basically, they're going to run the clock on the terms of the deal and take the money.

smurfx

get some go again
I wonder who those workers vote for in 2020
trump voters: it's not his fault!

they give him all the credit and hold nothing against his him when his promises are broken. they will vote for him again in big numbers. we can only hope those pissed stay home and vote for nobody.

On the upside, these laid off American workers will get to pay 20% more for their new air conditioner with Trumps tariff's put in place.

BriGuy

trump voters: it's not his fault!

they give him all the credit and hold nothing against his him when his promises are broken. they will vote for him again in big numbers. we can only hope those pissed stay home and vote for nobody.
At this rate, they'll be working three low paying jobs to keep their families fed and won't be given time off to vote period.

Kaiterra

Banned
From a casual glance by an outsider, it did feel like companies were cowed. Maybe they now understand, or at least think, that:

- he's thick
- he's a bully
- his leverage is unclear
- and, finally, he's thick

Considering he publicly attacked the union heads and was all nicey nice with the owners, not really sure why anyone should've ever had that perception.

Hazmat

It's the logical conclusion of how he "saved" the jobs. They got money from the state to offset how much money they would save by outsourcing to Mexico. That money ran out and the government isn't cutting them another check, so the jobs are are gone. Anyone with a brain new this would happen, but, you know, Trump supporters.

The kicker is that the tax breaks Carrier is getting as part of the deal is going towards investing in automation.
ORW0Rqa.gif

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

The frustrating thing about this lady was that she was more thoroughly owned than anyone in history, but didn't budge an inch. In fact I bet she went Double MAGA after this.

She was basically like, "Yes, my premise is 100% false and you proved that I should believe the opposite and I agree with your facts, but I am sticking with my racism."

The frustrating thing about this lady was that she was more thoroughly owned than anyone in history, but didn't budge an inch. In fact I bet she went Double MAGA after this.

She was basically like, "Yes, my premise is 100% false and you proved that I should believe the opposite and I agree with your facts, but I am sticking with my racism."
What happened here?

Where is this from? Sounds like an interesting and depressing watch.

Looks like this was expected:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...rs-indianapolis-plant-despite-trump-deal.html

Basically Trump saved 800 job from moving to Mexico but another 1400 were not saved. Weird deal. You'd think a deal would go like "Hey you have 2400 people in Indianapolis, if you keep them you will get money".

That gets reposted every time we get another update on this story but it's become clear that the deal has changed (cue Empire Strikes Back reference) in that the funds meant to keep the 800 jobs at the plant are now earmarked for automation instead.

Top Bottom