• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castle In The Darkness |OT| - Metroidvania by Nicalis / artist of Binding of Isaac

Castle-in-the-Darkness-Logo-small.jpg

Steam Description said:
One dark and gloomy night, the kingdom of Alexandria is attacked by an evil sorcerer and his army of darkness! Despite their best efforts to protect their king and their princess, the royal guard falls, one-by-one, to the forces of evil. One knight, unconscious but still alive, awakens on the throne room floor to find that the princess is nowhere to be seen! What's more, the entire city had been overrun by monsters! With sword in hand, he embarks on a death-defying mission to find his princess and to restore peace to the kingdom!

• A game by Matt Kap, the lead artist behind The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
  • A large world heavily inspired by the golden era of video games
  • Level up your knight with wildly different abilities
  • An arsenal of over 100 weapons, armor, items and magic to collect and use!
  • Over 50 bosses to find and slay
  • More than 100 different enemies
  • Fast-paced chiptune soundtrack

Castle In The Darkness is a fun and challenging shout out to the early days of video games! It's an action exploration platformer with some RPG elements, much like games from the Castlevania or Metroid series. It's super fast-paced, challenging, and full of secrets!

Official Website

Castle In The Darkness just released on Steam for $4.97 introductory price. It is a Metroidvania style game, with a hint of Aben Hawking and the 1001 Spikes at times, a hint of Cave Story at other times, and even some Monster Party. It is AWESOME.

The game is by Matt Kap, the lead artist behind The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth who does wonderful pixel art as well as some of the best chiptune I've ever heard, EVER. The game has over 50 bosses, 100+ collectible items, is non-linear, has characters that range from cute to terrifying and is a total nostalgia-fest, while not being carried by nostalgia. This game has legs, very very sexy legs.

The game is currently only available for Steam, but is planned for iOS. If you want it on other consoles, please let Matt Kap / Nicalis know!

Soundtrack

Seriously just give the soundtrack a listen.

Screenshots

CastleintheDarkness.jpg

castle.jpg

BD0659A05C2289175A3F2427F7790C9C5602C587

Castle-in-the-Darkness-Steam-introduction.jpg

castleindarkness530.jpg

ss_3ccbee34554c98756c668707ea454285bca0468d.600x338.jpg

Videos

Release Date Trailer

Announcement Trailer

Developer's? Let's Play P1 (Not sure why it is marked as Developer's Let's Play she doesn't say she was involved in the game?)

Developer's Let's Play P2

Over 5 hours of me streaming, raging and loving this game

Reviews / Impressions

Steam Reviews

Windows Central

-------

Personally, I've never felt like a game is so tailor made to me. The gameplay is on point, the chiptune is the best ever and reminds me of how catchy actual NES used to be, and the references to all my favorite games are here, and done in a non-tacky way. References to games I thought were all but forgotten that I love like Monster Party and Bubble Bobble. Cave Story fans will not be disappointed.

The difficulty slowly ramps up and feels natural. The non-linearity never feels like a hassle and kind of flows naturally. This game has more secrets than Bill Cosby, that's to say it has a metric fuck ton, from false walls, to secret bosses in secret dungeons with secret weapons / magic to find.

It has been a very, very long time since I've purchased a game, and just sat down and played non-stop for over 5 hours, especially while streaming. I just did not want to put my controller down, not for a drink of water, not to use the restroom. This game is damned near perfection (to me) and it needs to be given exposure and praise. It is one of those games begging for speed runners, and casual players alike.

Easily recommended if you like old school Castlevania, Metroid, Aben Hawking and the 1001 Spike (though it isn't nearly as extreme, difficulty wise), Zelda 2, or even Shovel Knight. Speaking of Shovel Knight, I found this game to be a lot more polished and enjoyable all around than Shovel Knight, which just kind of played it safe. That being said, I'm 5 hours in and fucking loving it.

-------

CONTROLLER FIX (that worked for me)

In a run box in windows type "joy.cpl"
Click advanced and set your preferred controller, as the game doesn't detect it if it is set to none.
Use keyboard and mouse to config controller. All you should have to change is jump and attack to your preferred keys.

FOR OTHER ISSUES / FIXES SEE THE STEAM DISCUSSION OF THE GAME HERE

Phawx

Just put my LP of this game up. Anyone who grew up on a NES will love the game. Music is tight, controls, no hand-holding, lots of NES platforming mechanics.

I am fan.

Chairhome

Looks great! THanks for posting about it, I'm really interested despite only learning about it this week. I kind of wish the sprites were bigger, but its a small complaint. So cheap, I gotta pick it up!

Saw this game featured on TinyCartridge yesterday. It looks great and looks like it would be great on Vita or 3DS as well.

I haven't booted up my PC in a few weeks, but this game might finally prompt me to do so tonight.

Did they even announce this? Not like Nicalis to just put out a game like that. These guys are infamous for their long delays, and I mean like, multi-year delays.

Whoa, what's up with all the clashing artstyles in the screenshots in the OP? It's like they all come from different games. Is that intentional?

Aeana

I bought it because of this thread, played for a bit and just reached the forest. It's pretty neat so far. At first, I was getting frustrated with how easy it is to die vs. the spacing out of the save points, but I've gotten used to it now and I don't think it bothers me anymore.

Whoa, what's up with all the clashing artstyles in the screenshots in the OP? It's like they all come from different games. Is that intentional?

I don't see what you're seeing. It all seems to fit together fine to me.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Did they even announce this? Not like Nicalis to just put out a game like that. These guys are infamous for their long delays, and I mean like, multi-year delays.

Maybe he finally got the hint that announcing stuff he isn't positioned to deliver isn't doing him any favours.

I've been waiting for this to release for what feels like ages. I remember seeing it last summer and anticipating the "fall" release, and watching autumn pass with not a word on development or release.

I checked the game's blog every few weeks for updates, and was actually astounded when I saw the placeholder date change over. I bought it last night and it's pretty much what I expected, for better or worse. I honestly can't fathom how the OP feels it's more polished than Shovel Knight (and the games really are fundamentally different experiences), but it's a he'll of an effort by one guy.

Would love a Vita port.

Ocaso

I ask this whenever a game is described as a "Metroidvania", but is it a pathfinding game? Is figuring out where to go a key element as it is in Metroid games or is it spelled out for you?

Aeana

I ask this whenever a game is described as a "Metroidvania", but is it a pathfinding game? Is figuring out where to go a key element as it is in Metroid games or is it spelled out for you?

So far, it seems more like Castlevania 2, where there's a "right" path through an area, with branching paths leading to dead end side rooms, and you may want (so far I've only gone back for bonuses, not anything required) to redouble your steps on occasion to use items in places you've been before. But the game is building a teleportation system with these save points, based on an NPC's dialog, so it may very well be that I need to go back to earlier areas later on.

On the radar, thanks for the OT. How long does uploading a 5 hour video take, like a day? lol

Really no time at all, because if you stream to Twitch they can save your stream and you can crop and upload it to YouTube from there, and it is pretty fast. The longest part of the process is YouTube's processing of the video.

Rescuing a princess? Seriously? Hope it's subverted somehow...

The first time you see her in the game she is kicking ass on her own and running ahead. She is certainly not a damsel in distress.

It isn't spelled out for you, you will find areas that you can't access till you find other items later on. There is a warping system you unlock eventually, and there is plenty of back tracking and finding your way, plus the hidden dungeons are amazeballs. Also, it seems like you can do things out of order, especially if you exploit the small knock up you get by getting hit by an enemy to jump just a bit higher.

Is that a Monster Party nod I see? I'm in!!!

There is more than one Monster Party nod in the game, one is like super hidden that I've found. I'll give you a clue, there is a wall you can go through that you without breaking near a crumbling block jump puzzle.

Aeana

Is anyone else playing? Found any equipment besides the wrong sword at the start? I'm starting to feel really weak compared to enemies (they just take forever to kill), and I haven't come across anything else.

eastx

KillerIsJed, thanks for linking to my review at Windows Central!

Yes, you eventually unlock a teleportation system. I had seen 2 warp points before I reached the third and unlocked the feature.

Aeana

I just found a
troll sword and troll armor
in a place that you can't possibly get out of without dying. Jerk. :(

I just found a
troll sword and troll armor
in a place that you can't possibly get out of without dying. Jerk. :(

Do tell! I haven't found those!

Also some tips: Check for false walls that you can break. Did you get the item in the museum to break blocks? Found any magic?

If you watch my playthrough linked you can find some things, but I can't look up specifics right now.

Also I've found some of the following useful items:

Multiple armors (some to buy, some found)
Double Jump boots
(which help you find a ton of stuff)
Ice Shield Magic
- you find this in a hidden area through a breakable wall
Cleats
- needed for the above dungeon
Falcon Buddy
- earlier in the game once you have the
double jump boots
above the exit of
the first Inn, have to hit the statue and scale the wall.

Other tips: hold jump, sometimes you go a little further than you think and can make jumps just barely. Even once you have the
double jump boots

Aeana

Do tell! I haven't found those!

Also some tips: Check for false walls that you can break. Did you get the item in the museum to break blocks? Found any magic?

If you watch my playthrough linked you can find some things, but I can't look up specifics right now.

In the ice cave, there's a pit just before an ice dude, on the way to the big yeti-looking boss. If you fall down the pit and hold right, you enter a false wall with a door.

I've since found the boomerang and plate mail, but there's an empty spot to the left of the boomerang. Any idea what that is?

In the ice cave, there's a pit just before an ice dude, on the way to the big yeti-looking boss. If you fall down the pit and hold right, you enter a false wall with a door.

I've since found the boomerang and plate mail, but there's an empty spot to the left of the boomerang. Any idea what that is?

It another sword called the Mirrors Edge that you find in the hidden Castle Dungeon. You can find it by breaking the top left wall in the save room outside the castle. I found myself mostly using the fireball (hold attack) and boomerang for quite some time. You need the boomerang to hit some switches inside the castle anyways.

Aeana

It another sword called the Mirrors Edge that you find in the hidden Castle Dungeon. You can find it by breaking the top left wall in the save room outside the castle.

Oh, I just got there. Weird that the boomerang is placed after it in the list.

Rescuing a princess? Seriously? Hope it's subverted somehow...

No inherent reason that it needs to be subverted, but it's not as simple as that anyway.

It's been fun so far (shabby controller support aside) although some of the check points are poorly spaced. Some areas seem over loaded with check points, where you are unlikely to need them, and then you reach a section with several rooms and paths with the most challenging enemies and platforming yet without a single check point to be found. You then have to tediously walk through several screens of basically nothing before getting back to the challenging part again and again.

No inherent reason that it needs to be subverted, but it's not as simple as that anyway.

It's been fun so far (shabby controller support aside) although some of the check points are poorly spaced. Some areas seem over loaded with check points, where you are unlikely to need them, and then you reach a section with several rooms and paths with the most challenging enemies and platforming yet without a single check point to be found. You then have to tediously walk through several screens of basically nothing before getting back to the challenging part again and again.

If you're talking about the Water temple, I think that is on purpose, because everyone knows water temples are the worst, and they will always be the worst.

JPS Kai

Just got me the Bro Sword, smooth sailing so far.

I did find an item called
Matt's Key 3
but I have no idea where it's used.

Edit: Well, made it to the first room of the Sorcerer's Quarters and can't make the jump..

Edit 2: Found a door with the
third orb above it blinking. I'm assuming this is the Dev Room and Matt's Keys are what you need to unlock it.

kevm3

Please tell me there is an item so that exploding blocks don't explode when you jump on them. This is really starting to agitate me.

Aeana

This game is super great. I just got the
double jump
, so now I need to go back through each area and grab what I missed. Enough for today, though.

RM8

Oh, I was hyped for this ages ago. Good to know it turned out well! Will buy tomorrow. And I'd buy it again on 3DS, just saying :p

I WILL buy it, make no mistake..
But i'm still wondering..
How comes that SO many years after castlevania:sotn, there have been no indie metroidvania with the same amount of content, variation and Why not, the same art level?
It would be the perfect candidate for a kickstarter.. Even the best metroidvania indie still pales when confronted with castlevania sotn..

R.I.P

Never heard of this before but I LOVE LOVE LOVE metroidvanias/old school platformers, definitely checking this out once I've cleared some of my backlog.

Aeana

I WILL buy it, make no mistake..
But i'm still wondering..
How comes that SO many years after castlevania:sotn, there have been no indie metroidvania with the same amount of content, variation and Why not, the same art level?
It would be the perfect candidate for a kickstarter.. Even the best metroidvania indie still pales when confronted with castlevania sotn..

The budget of indie games and their staff size also pale in comparison to SotN.

eastx

The budget of indie games and their staff size also pale in comparison to SotN.

Also, don't forget that SOTN reused several sprites and assets from Dracula X: Rondo of Blood, if not other Castlevania games.

However, I'd say that Dust: an Elysian Tale and Guacamelee are extremely close to Symphony of the Night as far as scope, quality, and art go (except Dust has procedural animation and Guacamelee lacks voice acting).

duckroll

I just bought this. If it's no good, I'm blaming Aeana!!!

Ne that's Why i i'd love a kickstarter...

I reckon if you want something that looks as good or surpasses SotN on technical merits alone, it would probably cost about 2-3 million dollars at least. Either a team of about 15 people working for 2 years, or a team of about 30 people working for over a year. And this is assuming there is already such a team which has worked together before and are in a stable existing environment which would allow immediate development once the funds are in.

If we're talking about putting together such a studio from scratch, it might be safer to assume an investment of 4-5 million, because start ups generally never work perfectly from the start. Time would be spent for people to move to an area, you would need to set up the studio, people have to get used to each other and plan a lot of stuff because being fully productive.

Now, assuming all this is even possible, the people involved here would also need a certain level of credentials and experience for such a Kickstarter to even take off. People don't mindlessly contribute to a campaign raising millions for anyone. There would either need to be a brand gimmick (hey we actually got Castlevania!) or the leads would have to be well known people who fans of the genre would trust (m-maybe Igarashi?! Lololol.), or both. There simply aren't many people out there who can say "give us a few million dollars to make a SotN clone" and get that.

Top Bottom