• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castle In The Darkness |OT| - Metroidvania by Nicalis / artist of Binding of Isaac

ys45

Fuck this
fish boss
after 10 tries I decided to retry tonight -_-
He was down to 2 freaking life bar !

duckroll

Got through the Sorcerer's Quarters. Getting reaaaaaaaally sick of the spike traps in this game. Thank Lord there's a warp point at the end here. I don't want to walk all the way back to get to previous areas. :p

Apparently this is not a normal obstacle and isn't usually there. Here's what I'm talking about: http://i.imgur.com/LUzLR8o.png

Wow wtf is that. Seems like a massive bug. You should make a thread on the Steam forums for the game about this so the developer sees it and fixes it!

gafneo

Banned
I see tons of nes indy style games. Why not more quake 3 or ps1 type graphics? I would love a new n64 looking game. N64 games used to take like 5 people.

I see tons of nes indy style games. Why not more quake 3 or ps1 type graphics? I would love a new n64 looking game. N64 games used to take like 5 people.
Probably not the right thread for this type of discussion.
Besides, you might see a lot of nes indy, but I'd say only very few of them are polished and worth playing.

Anyway, game is excellent. The cheap deaths aren't all that bad.

dr guildo

images

Looks awesome

I eagerly wait until all these guys up their game and start drawing 16-32bit style art

Ill gladly keep supporting these games cuz it looks like many developers are escalating their skills with each new game entry!

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Here are some fun moments from my time with the game. When I hit up on the d-pad instead of entering the room the game decided to lock my controls so I couldn't do anything but watch my slow and painful death unfold before my eyes:

http://zippy.gfycat.com/CluelessShamefulBluegill.webm

And just fuck this:

http://a.pomf.se/zckfhf.webm

Fuck it. Fuck every room laid out like that and fuck spikes. I died way too many times to stupid spikes.

I was thinking of picking this game up but that second WebM really turned me off.. that's really bad.

dr guildo

Great contribution.

They exist go find them.

I'm starting to be fed up with pixel art, as if there was only that kind of graphics indies can produce when they wants to make a 2D game. Why don't they produce art graphic style like Dust : an elysian TAle for an example ?
I play videogames since Atari St/ Amiga Era, and tones of player are in my case I think. We have stayed long enough in the cavern ages of graphics to return in there...
Please indies, give us descent 2D graphics, at least from a snes level, I don't even ask for neogeo level...

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I'm starting to be fed up with pixel art, as if there was only that kind of graphic when you are an indie and you want to make a 2D game. Why don't they produce art graphic style like Dust : an elysian TAle for an example ?
I play videogames since Atari St/ Amiga Era, and tones of player are in my case I think. We have stayed long enough in the cavern ages of graphics to return in there...
Please indies, give us descent 2D graphics, at least from a snes level, I don't even ask for neogeo level...

This isn't the "I don't like pixel graphics" thread. It's not the place to have this argument.

Also, visuals like Dust take a long time to create and are expensive. Not everyone can do that. People work within their means to create games they want to make. If you don't like it, don't buy it. There are too many available kinds of games for this to be a serious concern.

120v

bought it yesterday... got a good 20 mins in

pretty fun but i wish the characters hit box was a little... different. just feels a little off and floaty. there were times i took damage when i felt i shouldnt... but maybe that will add to the overall challenge as i progress through the game

Kyolux

I'd say you could probably even put the filter on a bit thicker.

I just use the in-game filter. Looks good enough for me.

As for the game itself.. played a lot of it last week-end, really love it. But I'm a bit stuck at the Windy Tunnel (was it what's it's called) eye on the wall boss.. I just can't get to it without missing a lot of health, is there a save point I'm missing closer to it? Maybe I'm just rushing too much? Also, from reading the thread, it seems like I completely missed the ice cavern? Where is that?

woopWOOP

I'm a sucker for pixel sprite games so I'm liking what I'm seeing. The overabundance of spikes kinda puts me off tho.

On my wishlist for now!

ys45

Here are some fun moments from my time with the game. When I hit up on the d-pad instead of entering the room the game decided to lock my controls so I couldn't do anything but watch my slow and painful death unfold before my eyes:

http://zippy.gfycat.com/CluelessShamefulBluegill.webm

And just fuck this:

http://a.pomf.se/zckfhf.webm

Fuck it. Fuck every room laid out like that and fuck spikes. I died way too many times to stupid spikes.

This only prove the point I was saying earlier, it seems the devs of this game laid out a lot of cheap trap like this just for the sake of pissing gamers off .

jman2050

WAIT, is this actually a trap, or a glitch?!

I'm at this part right now and the long jump is really pissing me off.

It's definitely a glitch, seems like it triggers the door functionality and the wind at the same time, so if you press up at the very edge of the door you lose control of your character as if you were going to another room but the wind pushed you out of bounds of the actual door area.

the Giant Bomb QL for this made it look infuriatingly fun. It reminded me back to the days when me and my brothers used to play games and pass the controller around every time we died.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Ugh. Whyyy. Game crashes when I try to increase screen size and there's no sound :(.

Edit: For some reason sound and music options defaulted to 0 when I started the game lol.

Edit #2: Are you supposed to get a heart piece from the Owl?

Has anyone played both 1001 spikes and this? How do they compare? I really wasn't happy with 1001 spikes extreme trail&error difficultly and straight up brokenness, but I felt if it was taken in a different direction it could of been a great game for me.

Ah-ha!!

Some of the bosses have weaknesses to specific weapons, with animations to match:

castleinthedarknessfiatb04.png

Shock Magic, Water Temple boss. You can stand on the ledge and spam your magic; works even when his mouth is closed.

Kyolux

Ah-ha!!

Some of the bosses have weaknesses to specific weapons, with animations to match:

castleinthedarknessfiatb04.png

Shock Magic, Water Temple boss. You can stand on the ledge and spam your magic; works even when his mouth is closed.

I was using shock as well, but what I did was stand on the right end of the screen instead. (Used the axe for additional damage)

Can anyone answer my previous post?

BiggNife

Played an hour or so of this last night and enjoyed it. Well worth the $5 I paid for it.

I've seen some complaints that the game is basically IWTBTG, but I wouldn't go that far. The design definitely goes overboard with the spike placement sometimes but the game doesn't feel unfair in the same way that IWTBTG and Boshy do.

Played an hour or so of this last night and enjoyed it. Well worth the $5 I paid for it.

I've seen some complaints that the game is basically IWTBTG, but I wouldn't go that far. The design definitely goes overboard with the spike placement sometimes but the game doesn't feel unfair in the same way that IWTBTG and Boshy do.
Agreed.

Although I think that without death spikes, the game would be too easy because there aren't that many monsters in between save points to drain enough of your health.

Maybe add/buff monsters and remove some spikes would've been a better balance.

Can anyone answer my previous post?

I'm a bit stuck at the Windy Tunnel (was it what's it's called) eye on the wall boss.. I just can't get to it without missing a lot of health, is there a save point I'm missing closer to it? Maybe I'm just rushing too much? Also, from reading the thread, it seems like I completely missed the ice cavern? Where is that?

The eye-door boss is manageable - you've probably already deduced that you just need to reflect his shots back at him while dodging the bullets. If you're taking too much damage, there's some nifty armor that you can pick up by purchasing an item from
House of Ruth
visiting the Inn. I'll let you figure out the rest.

As for the ice cavern, be sure to look for hidden passages in the walls in the cave.

Kyolux

The eye-door boss is manageable - you've probably already deduced that you just need to reflect his shots back at him while dodging the bullets. If you're taking too much damage, there's some nifty armor that you can pick up by purchasing an item from
House of Ruth
visiting the Inn. I'll let you figure out the rest.

As for the ice cavern, be sure to look for hidden passages in the walls in the cave.

Yeah, I mostly have trouble getting to the eye with decent health. I guess I'll get the last 3k or so I'm missing for the item in House of Ruth.

Thanks!

Apt101

This game is so hard I actually huffed and puffed like a toddler throwing a tantrum and punched the air. I feel like I have to beat it now out of spite.

duckroll

This looks neat, but does it really not have a map?

Because I feel this type of game really needs that.

It doesn't have a map. I like the feeling, but honestly I've already forgotten where a bunch of places I visited earlier in the game is. There were a few I made a mental note of revisiting for one reason or another, and I can't find some of them now. Lol.

Got stuck for a good hour with some hardcore spike jumping rooms, until I realized the Heavy Armor I had on was actually heavy.

With the weight off, I cleared those puzzles in a sec.

scitek

Is there no way to make this game run in actual fullscreen mode? This borderless window stuff doesn't work for me. I can still see the taskbar at the bottom, and it causes input lag and judder, which mar the gameplay.

I cannot for the life of me remember where the House of Ruth is. Can someone tell me which two locations it is roughly between? I've backtracked the whole thing on foot twice and I somehow can't find it.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
House of Ruth is in the Argo forest. You have to take the alternate path inside that stage, just explore the stage and you'll eventually find it.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Is there no way to make this game run in actual fullscreen mode? This borderless window stuff doesn't work for me. I can still see the taskbar at the bottom, and it causes input lag and judder, which mar the gameplay.

You could try using GeDoSaTo's force fullscreen option.

Kyolux

So I got the
dreamstone
and I went inside the
dreamworld
but I can't seem to be able to do anything after opening the first chest.. glitch or intended?

scitek

Is this
frog boss wearing the Hero armor
or whatever the worst in history, or do I just really suck? I can't beat him for my life. There's no rhyme or reason to anything he does, I'm just resorting to spamming and hoping I win out once.

duckroll

Is this
frog boss wearing the Hero armor
or whatever the worst in history, or do I just really suck? I can't beat him for my life. There's no rhyme or reason to anything he does, I'm just resorting to spamming and hoping I win out once.

If I remember the right fight, the best tactic is to let him come at you and then double jump over him and attack him from behind while he continues in one direction, then run away before he turns around. Never fight him head on.

House of Ruth is in the Argo forest. You have to take the alternate path inside that stage, just explore the stage and you'll eventually find it.

Thank you, hardest thing about this game is trying to remember where locations are for me.

So, I have the torch, but going in the dark area in the castle leads to a pitch black room where I can see nothing and can't leave. I have to exit to the main menu. What's the deal?

Top Bottom