• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castle In The Darkness |OT| - Metroidvania by Nicalis / artist of Binding of Isaac

duckroll

It has nothing to do with software engineering, it has to do with design and art assets. If you want a 2D game with lots of original enemies, great looking backgrounds, lots of different attack animations and equipment, where do you think that comes from? People have to be paid to draw and animate them, and it's painstaking work. It doesn't even mean the people working on it earn a lot, it just means it takes time. Why do you think that every Castlevania game reuses assets so much? Outside of some unique bosses and a handful of new enemies, almost everything is recycled over and over. If you're making a brand new game from scratch without anything to recycle or reuse, it's going to cost that much more.

I just bought this. If it's no good, I'm blaming Aeana!!!

Edit ed, nda is a fickle thing

Sorry for derailing the discussion.. Have yet to get back home from yesterday, any positive feedback on the game apart from op?

Have you bothered to read most of the posts in this thread? Pretty enthusiastic, for the most part. I wouldn't expect anything more than a trickle of reviews on mainstream sites that have covered the game in the past (IGN, Joystiq(?), Destructoid) and "indie" reviews as word of mouth spreads.

Red

Anyone else not able to switch to xinput controls? I click and I click but nothing happens. I have the latest directx.

Is there any way to launch into full screen? I have to toggle the display options every time I launch the game.

Anyone else not able to switch to xinput controls? I click and I click but nothing happens. I have the latest directx.

I have to set up the controller with kb/m and then restart the game. If I don't it doesn't recognize anything but the left joystick for some reason.

duckroll

I play the game with my DS3 fine. When it first started up only the directional controls worked, but I used the mouse to get into the key config, and manually assigned jump and attack, and everything was fine after that.

Tizoc

I play the game with my DS3 fine. When it first started up only the directional controls worked, but I used the mouse to get into the key config, and manually assigned jump and attack, and everything was fine after that.

Game doesn't recognize my DS4 and crashes whenever I try to change the resolution =/

scitek

Pretty badass first hour, but I'm done with this game. Insta-kill spike pits, invincible enemies, and dying in two hits isn't what I consider a good time. Nice try, though.

Aeana

For those of you having issues with your gamepads, go into the game's folder. There's a little readme with some tips for fixing that. Might help.

Pretty badass first hour, but I'm done with this game. Insta-kill spike pits, invincible enemies, and dying in two hits isn't what I consider a good time. Nice try, though.

I found the first part of the game to be the most frustrating. As you play, you get more health and more armor. You still can't take a lot of damage, but you can take more than two hits, and you get a lot more tools to do a lot of damage quickly, or from range, etc.

Red

I already have directx and xinput, but gave the suggested fix a try anyway. No dice. The game simply refuses to allow me to select joystick.

I want a refund.

Teppic

Pretty fun game. Although a bit rough around the edges. I like that you don't have to go far to find a new boss. Level design isn't the greatest. A bit too many paths and locked doors that you have to remember and then backtrack to. No map. The spikes feels cheap at times. Bad humor.

Had to map the DS4 to the keyboard to get it to work with the game. My biggest problem with the game is that it crashes randomly.

Aeana

I already have directx and xinput, but gave the suggested fix a try anyway. No dice. The game simply refuses to allow me to select joystick.

I want a refund.

As a last resort, you can use joytokey to make your gamepad send keyboard inputs to the game.

jblank83

So far, it seems more like Castlevania 2, where there's a "right" path through an area, with branching paths leading to dead end side rooms, and you may want (so far I've only gone back for bonuses, not anything required) to redouble your steps on occasion to use items in places you've been before. But the game is building a teleportation system with these save points, based on an NPC's dialog, so it may very well be that I need to go back to earlier areas later on.

Thanks for the impressions.

I saw this popup on Steam this morning before reading the thread. Added it to my wishlist to track but wasn't sure about it. Glad to hear it's pretty decent. At such a cheap price, seems like a no-brainer.

Looks amazing, but I'm worried about the controller issues being reported here and elsewhere (I use a wired 360 controller) and I do wonder if this will ever come to PS3/4/Vita/etc. (I much prefer playing on a console).

Vertti

Dying doesn't matter because you have unlimited lifes and there are save points every 5 minutes or less. I'd rather play hard games like this compared to games where you have limited continues and have to start from the beginning after game over.

And it's not that hard but it's more trial and error but the punishment is small.

Wii U Pro Contoller with Mayflash adapter works just fine. Very strange you can't map pause button to your controller though.

I have not found but one two invincible enemies, one is clearly not supposed to die and the other is an homage of a ghost character in Castlevania 3. It isn't easy, but neither are the classic Castlevania games.

Updating OP with controller fix that worked for me.

CONTROLLER FIX (that worked for me)

In a run box in windows type "joy.cpl"
Click advanced and set your preferred controller, as the game doesn't detect it if it is set to none.
Use keyboard and mouse to config controller. All you should have to change is jump and attack to your preferred keys.

If you want a challenge, wait until you get to the torture chamber

Clearly you haven't' been to the "water temple", which has one save point, two bosses, and is pure hell haha. I didn't find the torture chamber that bad, but I'm on my way out of it.

CONTROLLER FIX (that worked for me)

In a run box in windows type "joy.cpl"
Click advanced and set your preferred controller, as the game doesn't detect it if it is set to none.
Use keyboard and mouse to config controller. All you should have to change is jump and attack to your preferred keys.
I typed joy.cpl in "run" and it was already set to the 360 controller, so does this mean I should be okay? (Haven't bought game yet because of this potential issue and other misc. reasons.)

Red

Fun game. Stopped at the big sword dude after getting fireball. Bit tougher than last few bosses.

Ake

Neo Member
shiiiit! this game is hard but fun. 30 min later and I've died 50+ times.

btw, where can I find the
double jump-boots
? I killed the big
owl at the top of the clock tower
and now I am stuck :(. Pls halp

edit: nvm, found it!

NIN90

How are the jumping physics? Any game they are comparable to? Physics can make or break a platformer for me. I like them with very little inertia, like Mega Man.

How are the jumping physics? Any game they are comparable to? Physics can make or break a platformer for me. I like them with very little inertia, like Mega Man.

You'd like this then. It reminds me of Mega Man's / a little less stiff than Aben Hawking and the 1001 Spikes.

Just bought it, got up to
The Sorcerer part of the castle

The platforming there is insane.

What do I do with the
White orb I got from the sunken ruins?

JPS Kai

Should I be worried that I haven't done the water temple yet? I'm going through the Sorceror's wing now. Tried doing House of Ruth but I couldn't beat the final boss there.

Oh, in House of Ruth in the basement, there's
a guy that sells a dreamstone for 20,000. Take that to the inn and rest for the night to enter a dreamscape. It gets you a set of armor with either 7 or 8 defense to it. Just thought that should help!

eastx

You're not there yet. You'll know.

Man, I think my biggest gripe with the game so far is that my volume settings are reset every time I quit out of the game and reopen it. :/

Yeah, the default volume is at least 50 percent too loud.

SuomiDude

I don't use twitter so can't say it there, but I want to say that this game would be great on consoles. Imagine playing on gamepad for example :O

If there's no news about console versions in a few months, I'll have to buy it on PC then, looks pretty damn good.

Novocaine

Will buy if it comes out on Vita. Still waiting on 1001 spikes to be released in Australia though so I doubt I'll ever play this one either.

Top Bottom