• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania Portrait Of Ruin (DS) thread

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
How many games can you play as Simon? A lot.

In how many games can you play as
a freaking badass Axe Armor
?

That's right.
Two. You had a axe armor in SOTN too.

Pedobear said:
How many games can you play as Simon? A lot.

In how many games can you play as
a freaking badass Axe Armor
?

That's right.
Two. You had a axe armor in SOTN too.

You can never play as Simon enough. ;)

TreIII

brandonh83 said:
You can never play as Simon enough. ;)

Agreed on this. ^_^ In fact, one of the things that possibly would make my day would be if the next CV game was a stylish remake of Simon's Quest (CV2-NES). I mean, c'mon, it basically WAS the first CV game with a larger scale (VK for MSX just had you wandering around the same level until you found as many keys as you needed).

In spite of that though, I can't help but feel for the likes of Christopher and even moreso for his son, Soleiyu. Christopher was the star of two GB CVs which probably have been all but forgotten by most, and Soleiyu has it even worse than Richter. Mind-controlled, turned into a demon to fight for Dracula against his own Pops...and he doesn't even have his OWN game to at least say that he had his own glory days!

If there was any Belmont (besides Julius, of course!) who I think deserved having more of his story told through a bad-ass game, it would definitely be Soleiyu. After all, if nothing else, he's Simon's Father! That alone makes him worthy of praise, because his genes were intergral in creating the original dude we love so much! Solieyu wouldn't even have to fight Drac himself in yet another ressurection, just give him an interesting quest and I would be pleased...

Any good desktops for this game? As a general rule of thumb, I always have a wallpaper of the game I'm looking forward to most, and Twilight Princess is out and beaten... this is next on my list.

Coen

With Nintendo delaying its entire Q4 DS line-up to Q1 next year due to a plastic shortage (which apparently, only happens to affect Europe), I was looking into some other DS games to keep me busy. Obviously, Castlevania was on top of my list, but it looks like it has been delayed too over here. I found a link to Konami's UK website which says its being delayed to add wireless multiplayer and a shop system. Anyone know anything about these new features? Is it going to be WiFi connection multiplayer, or local?

Screw Simon and the rest. It should have been Eric and John Sr that should have been the last set of playable characters, especially as this follows up on the Bloodlines story :/

Halp! Is there anywhere I can still get that preorder bonus pack?! Anyone know if GS/EB gave the bundles out or anything yet? I didn't realize PoR was coming out so soooon.blaaaargh

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Magicpaint said:
Screw Simon and the rest. It should have been Eric and John Sr that should have been the last set of playable characters, especially as this follows up on the Bloodlines story :/
that's actually very true

oh well at least we got the bloodlines song in the game

Error2k4 said:
that's actually very true

oh well at least we got the bloodlines song in the game

Honestly, I like Ritcher as much as the next guy (look at my avatar :D ), but I would have gladly swapped the Ritcher/Maria duo for Eric/John if it came to that. I bet Konami got lazy and didn't want to redraw sprites for them or something.

But yeah Iron Blue Intention finally got a remix, though Reincarnation of Souls didn't. But there's always next time.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Magicpaint said:
Honestly, I like Ritcher as much as the next guy (look at my avatar :D ), but I would have gladly swapped the Ritcher/Maria duo for Eric/John if it came to that. I bet Konami got lazy and didn't want to redraw sprites for them or something.

But yeah Iron Blue Intention finally got a remix, though Reincarnation of Souls didn't. But there's always next time.

Never stopped them before! lolz

HYYYDDDRRROOOO STOOOORRRMMMM!

kiryogi

Banned
Shinoobi said:
Halp! Is there anywhere I can still get that preorder bonus pack?! Anyone know if GS/EB gave the bundles out or anything yet? I didn't realize PoR was coming out so soooon.blaaaargh

It was cut off 1-2 weeks ago.

castle007

Banned
CV:pOR reviews coming in:

GamePro 11/28/2006 4.5 out of 5 90.0%
Nintendo Power 1/1/2007 9 out of 10 90.0%
Cubed3 11/21/2006 9 out of 10 90.0%
********* 11/18/2006 93 out of 100 93.0%

compared to Dawon of Sorrow:

GamePro 4.5 out of 5 90.0%
Nintendo Power 9 out of 10 90.0%
Cubed3 9.4 out of 10 94.0%
********* 80 out of 100 80.0%

castle007

Banned
Aurora said:
Nice scores. This is one of my most anticipated games this year. :D

Yeah, I am so ****ing excited :D

It really didn't hit me until today that the game will be in my hands in less than a week!!

Hopefully, IGN and gamespot will post their reviews tonight. They have had the final version of the game for almost two months.

Their reviews won't affect my opinion of the game, but I am interested in what they will give it. That 8.9 gamespot gave to DOS pissed me off :lol

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Can a game as strong as Dawn of the Sorrow really be beaten by such a margin, though? You bet it can! - Cubed3

Yet, it scored less.

Symytry

Picked up my preorder bonus a couple of days ago...it's by far the best bonus I've ever gotten for preordering a game.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
Is there any rips of the soundtrack?! I can't wait to get the pre-ordered thing from GmaStop. When it will be released!?

Lee N

Membre
Pedobear said:
Can a game as strong as Dawn of the Sorrow really be beaten by such a margin, though? You bet it can! - Cubed3

Yet, it scored less.
People just pull scores out of their ass anyway. It's not like there's any consistency to scoring.

evil ways

Celeryface said:
I picked up my preorder bonus today at a Canadian EB store. Very nice bonus!

I got my pre-order swag today, very nice black cardboard box with the crimson Castlevania seal that resembles the candle wax seals used in letters back in the medieval times. It took me a while to figure out what the white, plastic rectangle thing was as I thought it was a matchstick box with a Castlevania logo, but turns out it's a case to store both the Dawn & Portrait games.

jgkspsx

Yeah, so EBGames changed the status of my preorder bonus from "Ready To Ship" to "Backordered." Not looking good. Did they run out or something? I preordered the day the bonus was posted, so I'll be pissed off (though not particularly surprised) if I don't get it.

frogg609

i got my bonus in store tonight. it's sweet. A lot better quality than I could have hoped for. I can't wait for this game. (like I don't have enough to play)

I went to Gamestop today to see if they had the bonus, and they didn't. Bummer. So I went over to EB Games, which is like right next door to see if they had a Wi-Fi connector, and I overhear a clerk go "hey guess what we got this morning?" and he holds up the bonus.

Grimm Fandango said:
If you don't mind me asking, where do you guys live? I might go to my store tomorrow, pay it in full, and ask if they have the bonus.

I live in Richmond, KY but I preordered in Lexington which is about 20 minutes or so away. The EBgames had the bonus though, not Gamestop.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Hey folks. A heads up.

GS/EB/B&N have started charging for the online preorders, BEFORE shipping. On top of that, I was charged for the initial $39.99 price, NOT the reduced $34.99 price that I was assured via email would be charged.

I recommend you guys check your CC statements.

Sagitario

Mejilan said:
Hey folks. A heads up.

GS/EB/B&N have started charging for the online preorders, BEFORE shipping. On top of that, I was charged for the initial $39.99 price, NOT the reduced $34.99 price that I was assured via email would be charged.

I recommend you guys check your CC statements.

Dammit! I ordered from B&N...
My order details say this:
Shipment Subtotal: $34.99
Shipping & Handling: $2.98
Sales Tax: $3.13
Shipment Total: $41.10

So... hopefully I'll be charged $35, because I still have to pay like $20 from import duties... >__<

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Mine was $50.xx, due to the overnight shipping and the extra $5.00 they were NOT supposed to charge me.

Varshes

ThirstyFly said:
Whoa. What EB did you pre-order at, and did they call you to tell you the bonus could be picked up, or did you go in and ask?

I needs that artbook! Needs it!

Yonge & Eglinton. I just called and asked if they got it in yet, they did and said I could come and get it, so I did. :)

ziran

sounds like this is going to be one of the best in the series! after being not particularly bothered about playing another castlevania so soon after dos (which i enjoyed), now i'm really looking forward to por.

...and, wow @ the yuzo koshiro compositions! :)

i love actraizers and super shinobi, and por sounds like a great return to form.

jesusraz

A_Lee_N said:
People just pull scores out of their ass anyway. It's not like there's any consistency to scoring.

Depends on what was being reviewed at the time. I tend to review comparatively...Anyway, with our new scoring system (no decimals), DoS is actually a 9/10, so DoS = PoR on that review system.

I hate giving out final scores anyway. If that's all people care about, then there's something wrong - the review content should be what sways the argument for / against. In my opinion PoR > DoS :)

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
SPOILERS! Don't visit the link if you don't want to be spoiled. It shows gameplay of one of the extra modes.

****ING
RICHTER MODE IN ACTION BITCHES
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-zq9Yx7Sqw

**** YES! They
even gave him the kick animation! **** YES! It seems like Maria is as overpowered as ever, but still. **** YES! GOTY!!!!!!!!!!
Only a few more days!

Lee N

Membre
jesusraz said:
Depends on what was being reviewed at the time. I tend to review comparatively...Anyway, with our new scoring system (no decimals), DoS is actually a 9/10, so DoS = PoR on that review system.
Two reviewers are reviewing the same game, one really loves the game as it is and gives it a 9 while the other gets hung up on some features in the game that goes against his tastes and give the game a 7.

Later, the game gets a sequel and they have changed that very detail about the game, now the guy who gave the old game a 7 love what they have done with the game and end up giving it a 9, while the other reviewer feels that it's a step backwards and end up giving it a 6.

In the end, scores are just numbers.. they don't really mean anything for anyone except the reviewer who set the score. Whether a game gets an 8 or a 9 doesn't really say anything for the reader without a frame of reference, one can argue that the text is supposed to give you a reference for the score but more often than not i find myself thinking that the score and the actual text says two different things. Scores are more suited for breakfast tv when some random dude have 2 minutes to talk about a book or a movie.

I say focus less on scores and more on providing different opinions when reviewing something, because reviews are entirely subjective.. and it's important to let that show so the reader can make up his own mind.

A 9 isn't always the same thing as another 9, and a 7 can be exactly the same thing as an 8.. that's what i meant about pulling scores out of ones ass.

Novid

Banned
Yeah...Where in GOD's Name is Eric and Johnny? HELLO? Isnt this the sequal to Bloodlines? OMG NO, whats with the Rondo Love Fest (even though its good). I dont want to play Maria, I want to see Play Eric (unless John's father is fighting in the war, or too old to continue and Eric is just playing spy.)

From what I see, its a great game, but it doesnt even really advance the storyline or add anything new to it other than the two new charators, and more topless victorian female monsters that you can shake a stick at.

FoxSpirit

Varshes said:
Went to my local EBGames today and picked up the preorder bonus!

por1jk8.jpg

por2ri1.jpg

por3ez4.jpg

por4ct6.jpg

:D :D :D

I SO want that -.-

MegaTen

Banned
Oldschoolgamer said:
SPOILERS! Don't visit the link if you don't want to be spoiled. It shows gameplay of one of the extra modes.

****ING
RICHTER MODE IN ACTION BITCHES
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-zq9Yx7Sqw

**** YES! They
even gave him the kick animation! **** YES! It seems like Maria is as overpowered as ever, but still. **** YES! GOTY!!!!!!!!!!
Only a few more days!
That looks awesome! I'm liking the new animation effects.

Az987

all good things
I better get all that (cd, stylus other crap). I preorder from ebgames about a month or two ago.

Top Bottom