• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Catalonia to split from Spain within 48 hours of secession vote

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I can't see a pro-independence catalonian citizen willing to keep the spanish citizenship

That would be pretty ironic "I'm proud of my heritage and I want to be independent, but I will rather use my Spanish passport because I don't want to bare the consequences of my vote"

Again I'm not talking about automatic EU membership for Catalonia I'm merely stating no European can be automatically stripped of their EU citizenship.

Eh? Sure they can. If you're a dual citizen of an EU country and a non-EU country, the EU country can strip you of your national citizenship, leaving you with only the non-EU country citizenship.

EU citizenship is attached to national citizenship. It's not some extra citizenship existing independently.

Camaway2

An independent Calalunia will not be part of the EU, its citizens won't have a European passport and won't be enjoying the rights of a EU citizens. Brussels has been super clear on this.

Those who favour independence are telling themselves a lie just because they know that reality would sink their chances of winning a theoretical vote.

Nobody in the EU wants a nation state splitting up by a centrifugal force for fear of the potential repercussions in their own country.

I appreciate the fact that the Catalans don't like it, but it doesn't change the reality.

What they really should do is to do whatever is necessary to make a real referendum possible. If there really is a majority of Catalonians that want their own country, then they should be granted the opportunity to prove it, under conditions that will ensure a fair vote and allow both sides to present their arguments to the people. Refusing to countenance this is clearly proving to be counter-productive and is going to lead to unofficial vote for secession, which is then going to cause holy hell when it is ignored.

There is a way, not the easiest one, but there is.

There are no excuses to justify the acts the catalonian government is promoting, doing what they want, disobeying orders from the central government, disrespecting the minority of the parties in the catalonian parlament, deciding what to do, when to do it and at the same time they are trying to make it look like the central government is the one being anti-democratic because it doesn't allow an ilegal referendum?

Too much hipocrisy.

Eh? Sure they can. If you're a dual citizen of an EU country and a non-EU country, the EU country can strip you of your national citizenship, leaving you with only the non-EU country citizenship.

EU citizenship is attached to national citizenship. It's not some extra citizenship existing independently.

Thought so too, but I think someone said that Spain actually can't do that.

Irminsul

How exactly is the government being fascist? I don't like the Popular Party at all, but what did you expect them to do? The referendum is illegal. I repeat once again, what do you think would happen in France or Germany if a part of their country was acting like the Catalan government?
Why France or Germany? There are no real independence movements in either country. Better to just look at the UK. And don't answer with "Well, that referendum wasn't unilaterally declared" -- this one wouldn't have been either, if Spain acted like the UK. Also, if France and Germany acted the same way if, say, Bavaria or Brittany wanted to split, it wouldn't make these actions any better.

If you don't want to call a de facto suspension of a democratically elected government, detention of politicians of said government without charges and intrusion of postal privacy "fascist", okay. But it's not quite the epitome of a democratic process, either.

Camaway2

Again I'm not talking about automatic EU membership for Catalonia I'm merely stating no European can be automatically stripped of their EU citizenship.

Sure you can. If you choose to obtain the passport of a non EU country and your previous country does not allow double nationality, you are no longer a EU citizen.

No one can tell you what would happen for sure as all of this is based on a hypothetical situation.

First, I don't think Spain would recognize Catalonia as a nation, then if by any change Catalonia gets away with this and gets its independence, I really doubt it would have been in good terms, so I can see Spain not reaching a dual-citizenship agreement with Catalonia, as the relationship would be completely broken.

What they really should do is to do whatever is necessary to make a real referendum possible. If there really is a majority of Catalonians that want their own country, then they should be granted the opportunity to prove it, under conditions that will ensure a fair vote and allow both sides to present their arguments to the people. Refusing to countenance this is clearly proving to be counter-productive and is going to lead to unofficial vote for secession, which is then going to cause holy hell when it is ignored.

I am a Catalan myself, and I don't think having your own country is a right. The referendums organised in Scotland and Quebec had the blessing of the central government. If they want to just push through at the very least they need to have a large support of the population, and what they have is 48% of the vote in the last election. This is significant, but not enough to enforce independence as a established fact on the ground.

Timbuktu

The mix of views here is very interesting, particularly given how pro-independence this place seemed to be when Scotland was having their indy-ref.

Yeah.. Long story short, it'll be a mess no matter what.
I remember sitting in primary school with 10/25 kids being Yugoslavian refugees.
No matter what, I hope this can be avoided. They were good friends, but they weren't here by choice, and their families weren't well-off.

The mix of views here is very interesting, particularly given how pro-independence this place seemed to be when Scotland was having their indy-ref.
If they had a legal referendum like Scotland, I could see myself supporting them.
This just feels dangerous.

Theonik

A lot of EU states don't allow double citizenship. So if Spain wants to enforce the same rule it means that anybody who gets a Catalan citizenship can have his Spanish one revoked.
That's a really silly argument because Spain is not such a country. Germany notably doesn't allow dual citizenship neither does Austria but they have rules to do that in exceptional circumstances.

There is no EU rule, this is strictly a national matter. Spain would have to change their entirely legal system and constitution to spite Catalonia in that case. And yes if these people are dual citizens Spain can choose to revoke their Spanish citizenship but I don't think there is any legal framework for this or this might be something Spain might want to do.

I can't see a pro-independence catalonian citizen willing to keep the spanish citizenship
It is perfectly reasonable to see how the issue of retaining citizenship or individual circumstances might have a desire for more self-determination in Catalonia while also wishing to retain rights in the Kingdom of Spain. People living near the border might find that appealing for instance.

Why France or Germany? There are no real independence movements in either country. Better to just look at the UK. And don't answer with "Well, that referendum wasn't unilaterally declared" -- this one wouldn't have been either, if Spain acted like the UK. Also, if France and Germany acted the same way if, say, Bavaria or Brittany wanted to split, it wouldn't make these actions any better.

If you don't want to call a de facto suspension of a democratically elected government, detention of politicians of said government without charges and intrusion of postal privacy "fascist", okay. But it's not quite the epitome of a democratic process, either.

The point is there is no country that includes a right to secede in their constitution. The central government doesn't have to allow a referendum if it doesn't want to.

And to say that the government officials have been arrested without charges is bullshit. Organising the referendum is clearly overstepping their competencies, hence spending public money on it is illegal. That is the problem here. This not repression.

Ferr986

Yes, you can wait until you have a proper majority. A 72-63 majority with 48% of the vote is not enough to force the issue. But of course, with the things set in motion the Catalan politicians cannot do that, but it would be the most logical step. If support for independence reaches 60-70% then it will be pretty much unstoppable.

Problem is at this rate PP may make this a posibility, even though I wouldn't want to...

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
That's a really silly argument because Spain is not such a country. Germany notably doesn't allow dual citizenship neither does Austria but they have rules to do that in exceptional circumstances.

There is no EU rule, this is strictly a national matter. Spain would have to change their entirely legal system and constitution to spite Catalonia in that case. And yes if these people are dual citizens Spain can choose to revoke their Spanish citizenship but I don't think there is any legal framework for this or this might be something Spain might want to do.

We are talking here about Spain. Who is acting now tough internally against this. Who was ready to deny Scotland any chance of getting in EU just to teach Catalonia a lesson. Changing their legislation to impose restriction against double citizenship is exactly the kind of thing that I see the current Spanish government capable of doing judging by all their actions.

I am a Catalan myself, and I don't think having your own country is a right. The referendums organised in Scotland and Quebec had the blessing of the central government. If they want to just push through at the very least they need to have a large support of the population, and what they have is 48% of the vote in the last election. This is significant, but not enough to enforce independence as a established fact on the ground.

You do have a right to self-determination and the only way to establish what the will of the Catalan people is, is to ask them. However, I am not sure if you have a right to a plebiscite, just the right to have the plebiscite upheld, if it takes place and is legitimate. It is pointless to deny the plebiscite though because then you get situations like this developing.

Well I can't speak for Spain particularly. I'm just responding to the claim that it's not possible to strip a European of their EU citizenship. From a one second google you can at least find this example of it happening in the UK, and the ECHR ruling that it was lawful.

Theonik

We are talking here about Spain. Who is acting now tough internally against this. Who was ready to deny Scotland any chance of getting in EU just to teach Catalonia a lesson. Changing their legislation to impose restriction against double citizenship is exactly the kind of thing that I see the current Spanish government capable of doing judging by all their actions.
I mean yes. I kinda contemplated that for this reason but I can't really say. It would be really irrational to do that kind of wishing for their government to implode kind of bad.

But this doesn't stop things from happening.

You do have a right to self-determination and the only way to establish what the will of the Catalan people is, is to ask them. However, I am not sure if you have a right to a plebiscite, just the right to have the plebiscite upheld, if it takes place and is legitimate. It is pointless to deny the plebiscite though because then you get situations like this developing.
The Catalan autonomous government has been trying to get a legal plebiscite but have been denied their right to self determination. This isn't a legal referendum as such and it is unlikely that Spain recognises it after the fact.

Problem is at this rate PP may make this a posibility, even though I wouldn't want to...

That is what I have been hearing since all this started, that their actions are creating more pro-independence people every day. Do the math: in 2012 you had CiU with 50 MPs, ERC with 21 and CUP with 3 and a total share of the vote of 47%. In the 2015 elections you had JxSi (ERC+CiU) with 62 MPs and CUP with 10 and a 48% share of the vote. It does not seem to me that their share of the vote is increasing significantly.

In something like 10-15 years I could see that changing, because younger people seem more pro-independence than their elders, but I don't think short term things are changing that much.

Right, because any country would surely allow to suddenly have 7 million of their citizens in a neighbouring country who can participate in their elections, use their healthcare system and somehow don't pay any taxes at all.

any talk of legislation against double citizenship would be highly unpopular, esepecillay for Spanish citizens and children of Spanish citizens living abroad.

hell, my friend was born in Montreal and was granted Spanish citizenship because his parents are Spaniards. They love their double citizneship.
His parents are reitred in their 80s and live 6 months in Montreal, 6 months in Madrid every year.

you would see an uptick of oversees citizens excerize their vote to topple the goverment

Is the Unrepresented Nations and Peoples Organization trustworthy enough to back the self-determination for any country?

I am honestly asking as I have never heard of it.

International law and its right of self-determination, I suppose. It's one of the basic international laws.

But it's always been applied very selectively, which is also due to the fact that it's really hard to define what a people is and what matches their right of self-determination.

Exactly, it's very selective, and afaik Catalonia doesn't fit in any of the situations.

Being unable to speak your own mother tongue publicly for almost 40 years.

Nobody is forbiding you to speak your mother language anymore, that happened about 40 years ago during Franco's dictatorship.

In fact in Catalonia you can be fined if you don't use catalan in your business.

Using only spanish in your business? Here, have a fine.

So please, stop spreading that bullshit.

That is what I have been hearing since all this started, that their actions are creating more pro-independence people every day. Do the math: in 2012 you had CiU with 50 MPs, ERC with 21 and CUP with 3 and a total share of the vote of 47%. In the 2015 elections you had JxSi (ERC+CiU) with 62 MPs and CUP with 10 and a 48% share of the vote. It does not seem to me that their share of the vote is increasing significantly.

In something like 10-15 years I could see that changing, because younger people seem more pro-independence than their elders, but I don't think short term things are changing that much.

Today they made a lot more: like me, I was gonna vote No, now I'm voting YES.

Right, because any country would surely allow to suddenly have 7 million of their citizens in a neighbouring country who can participate in their elections, use their healthcare system and somehow don't pay any taxes at all.

I think there is a difference between retaining EU citizenship and Catalonia remaining part of the EU. I am not sure whether or not is will be possible for Catalonians to retain the EU citizenship via Spain, as many British citizens will via Ireland but even if it is possible, that does mean that Catalonia, the state will be in the EU and party to the single market and schengen and all the rest of it.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Doesn't Spain have a health card? That should cover the issue of the healthcare system. Elections, that's a more sensitive topic, indeed. But citizens living abroad have the same voting rights, I don't see why should Spanish citizens living in Catalonia being denied that.

any talk of legislation against double citizenship would be highly unpopular, esepecillay for Spanish citizens and children of Spanish citizens living abroad.

hell, my friend was born in Montreal and was granted Spanish citizenship because his parents are Spaniards. They love their double citizneship.
His parents are reitred in their 80s and live 6 months in Montreal, 6 months in Madrid every year.

you would see an uptick of oversees citizens excerize their vote to topple the goverment

You don't need to end double-citizenship to strip Catalonian citizens from their previous Spanish citizenship. Expecting anything else is delusional and hypocritical.

France actually crushed linguistic minoritites after the French Revolutin, up to the early 20th Century.

Before the French Revolution, minoritiy languages florished like Occitan and Breton ect

nearly 2 centuries of crushing cultural and linguistic minorities eventually diminished their influance and standing. and "assimilated" them overtime.

So Spain is actually more lineant, more respectfull towards their linguistic minorities than France.

France still does not recognize Occitan and Breton as languages..

Catalonians are protective of their culture for many reasons, and they have seen what France has done to their Occitan cousins

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
There is also a logistic problem. To keep the Spanish citizenship you either need a new address in rSpain or apply for a new Spanish passport with residence abroad, no?

Is the Unrepresented Nations and Peoples Organization trustworthy enough to back the self-determination for any country?

I am honestly asking as I have never heard of it.

Decide for yourself but the short answer is that this principle is enshrined in international law and applies to all people on earth. We know all about it in the UK, partly because of the Scottish thing but mainly because it's part of our defence of our rights over the Falkland Islands i.e. that the islanders have determined that they wish to be part of Britain and their wishes must be respected.

Self-determination in International Law

The principle of self-determination is prominently embodied in Article I of the Charter of the United Nations. Earlier it was explicitly embraced by US President Woodrow Wilson, by Lenin and others, and became the guiding principle for the reconstruction of Europe following World War I. The principle was incorporated into the 1941 Atlantic Charter and the Dumbarton Oaks proposals which evolved into the United Nations Charter. Its inclusion in the UN Charter marks the universal recognition of the principle as fundamental to the maintenance of friendly relations and peace among states. It is recognized as a right of all peoples in the first article common to the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights and the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights which both entered into force in 1976. 1 Paragraph 1 of this Article provides:

All peoples have the right to self-determination. By virtue of that right they freely determine their political status and freely pursue their economic, social and cultural development.

The right to self-determination of peoples is recognized in many other international and regional instruments, including the Declaration of Principles of International Law Concerning Friendly Relations and Co-operation Among States adopted b the UN General Assembly in 1970, 2, the Helsinki Final Act adopted by the Conference on Security and Co-operation in Europe (CSCE) in 1975, 3, the African Charter of Human and Peoples' Rights of 1981, 4, the CSCE Charter of Paris for a New Europe adopted in 1990, 5, and the Vienna Declaration and Programme of Action of 1993. 6, It has been affirmed by the International Court of Justice in the Namibia case 7, the Western Sahara case 8, and the East Timor case 9, in which its erga omnes character was confirmed. Furthermore, the scope and content of the right to self-determination has been elaborated upon by the UN Human Rights Committee 10, and the Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination 11, and numerous leading international jurists.

That the right to self-determination is part of so called hard law has been affirmed also by the International Meeting of Experts for the Elucidation of the Concepts of Rights of Peoples brought together by UNESCO from 1985 to 1991, 12, it came to the conclusion that (1) peoples' rights are recognized in international law; (2) the list of such rights is not very clear, but also that (3) hard law does in any event include the right to self-determination and the right to existence, in the sense of the Genocide Convention.

The inclusion of the right to self-determination in the International Covenants on Human Rights and in the Vienna Declaration and Programme of Action, referred to above, emphasizes that self-determination is an integral part of human rights law which has a universal application. At the same time, it is recognized that compliance with the right of self-determination is a fundamental condition for the enjoyment of other human rights and fundamental freedoms, be they civil, political, economic, social or cultural.

The concept of self-determination is a very powerful one. As Wolfgang Danspeckgruber put it: "No other concept is as powerful, visceral, emotional, unruly, as steep in creating aspirations and hopes as self-determination." It evokes emotions, expectations and fears which often lead to conflict and bloodshed. Some experts argued that the title holders should be or are limited in international law. Others believed in the need to limit the possible outcome for all or categories of title holders. Ultimately, the best approach is to view the right to self-determination in its broad sense, as a process providing a wide range of possible outcomes dependent on the situations, needs, interests and conditions of concerned parties. The principle and fundamental right to self-determination of all peoples is firmly established in international law.

Onyar

Nobody is forbiding you to speak your mother language anymore, that happened about 40 years ago during Franco's dictatorship.

In fact in Catalonia you can be fined if you don't use catalan in your business.

Using only spanish in your business? Here, have a fine.

So please, stop spreading that bullshit.

That's completly false.
You can talk whatever language that you want, they fined because these business asked for money to put the posters in catalan. That business didn't do it so they where fined.

I'm happy because a lot of spaniards aren't democratic and they are showing it now, I hope all the europeans will be aware of that and force a legal referendum.

Is there a good reason why the Basque people are not tailcoating in on this? I thought there were much more vocal in their desire for independence than the Catalans.

Onyar

Is there a good reason why the Basque people are not tailcoating in on this? I thought there were much more vocal in their desire for independence than the Catalans.

They have financial autonomy and actually could approve the PP budget this year, so they have a lot of power to demand anything. Even that there's a part of the basque society that for sure will start a process like the catalan and maybe they will do it in the next years.

Basques have a privileged fiscal situation and the biggest nationalist basque.party in center-right and are happy being favoured by PP since they need thier votes to approve PP estate budget.

tolkir

Today is a turning point, it will be in 1 year or 20, but neo-fascist PP just made Catalonia independant a reality.

Personally I don't want to belong to a country ruled by ppl like that.

I thought the turning point was September 7th. Now is today.
Each new day is a turning point for you people.

Today is a turning point, it will be in 1 year or 20, but neo-fascist PP just made Catalonia independant a reality.

Are you for real?

I mean, catalonian politics are the ones infringing the law, the central government is just doing their part by applying the measures that correspond to the felonies they are commiting.

They have financial autonomy and actually could approve the PP budget this year, so they have a lot of power to demand anything. Even that there's a part of the basque society that for sure will start a process like the catalan and maybe they will do it in the next years.

Basques have a privileged fiscal situation and the biggest nationalist basque.party in center-right and are happy being favoured by PP since they need thier votes to approve PP estate budget.

Thanks

Theonik

International law and its right of self-determination, I suppose. It's one of the basic international laws.

But it's always been applied very selectively, which is also due to the fact that it's really hard to define what a people is and what matches their right of self-determination.
Less because of that, more because central governments don't like separatist movements generally and prefer to suppress them where possible. The right to self-determination is generally used to defend annexations or to defend against such.

There isn't really much presiding over international law anyway besides different sovereign states that can choose to take what stance they like and do so for diplomatic reasons. I can't see anyone siding against Spain for example even if Catalans voted to leave.

There is also a logistic problem. To keep the Spanish citizenship you either need a new address in rSpain or apply for a new Spanish passport with residence abroad, no?
Can't see why the later is not an option. This is complicated.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
It's simply not true that Catalan citizens would remain EU citizens simply because they once were EU citizens. Article 20 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union quite clearly states:

1. Citizenship of the Union is hereby established. Every person holding the nationality of a Member State shall be a citizen of the Union. Citizenship of the Union shall be additional to and not replace national citizenship.

If you don't hold the nationality of a Member State, you're not a citizen of the European Union.

The reason it has a part saying that no authority may strip you of your European citizenship is to prevent member states (or European Union bodies) from doing anything that could decouple this - for example, suppose that Hungary decided to strip the European citizenship of all non-Fidesz voters, so that only Fidesz voters could vote in Hungarian EU elections. If member states of the European Union could strip their citizens of European Union citizenship while remaining in the European Union, the European Union doesn't offer any protection at all - want to appeal to the European courts? Oh, tough luck, we just revoked your EU citizenship. So that was explicitly barred.

It does not to say that you can never lose EU citizenship. You can, since EU citizenship is inherently coupled with citizenship of Member States, and the citizenship procedures of Member States are a matter of reserved competence - that is, Member States decide them, not the EU.

If Spain revoked Spanish nationality for those accepting Catalan nationality, then those Catalan nationals would not be EU citizens.

As much as I don't like them, the PP is not neo-fascist. Their actions on this issue is to be pretty lenient on an autonomy that has long been in ignoring its competencies and trying to act as an independent state when they are not. I don't like them, but I am sorry, saying you want to leave because of a political party is absolute bullshit. Then, when a party that you don't like wins an electing in an independent Catalonia, what are you gonna do? Ask for the independence of your neighbourhood?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom