• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Celebrity Death Thread

Little Mac

Gold Member
2023 isn't easing up, now it's Earl Born, R.I.P

I searched his imdb to see what else he was in because his face is so recognizable. I was surprised to see how many video games he did voice acting for. Everything from World of Warcraft, Call of Duty, Metal Gear, Fall Out, Everquest, Tenchu, Eternal Darkness, Baldurs Gate and alot more.

Last edited:
740full-tatjana-patitz.jpg

Supermodel Tatjana Patitz Dead at 56
The iconic '90s German supermodel ruled the runway and starred in George Michael's famous "Freedom '90" music video

https://people.com/style/supermodel-tatjana-patitz-dead-at-56/

ChaosWalrus

Neo Member
I like to post RIP messages on Facebook but attach pix of similar celebrities. For example, Richard Belzer’s passing was met witn a picture of Richard Lewis. Or when Kirstie Alley passed i posted a pix of shelly long.

Most people are on to me at this point but some dum dum inevitably comes along and takes the bait and tries to correct me. I insist I am right. They usually get snippy. Its childish but it makes me laugh. Every time.

I like to post RIP messages on Facebook but attach pix of similar celebrities. For example, Richard Belzer’s passing was met witn a picture of Richard Lewis. Or when Kirstie Alley passed i posted a pix of shelly long.

Most people are on to me at this point but some dum dum inevitably comes along and takes the bait and tries to correct me. I insist I am right. They usually get snippy. Its childish but it makes me laugh. Every time.
Oof. Profile pic checks out!

nush

You must be one of the "Kool kids".

Woooah, you crazy son of a bitch!

Wild, MAN!!

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

Marvel14

Banned
It kills me that a man who fought SO hard for the right to own his own image and his body of work finally achieved it, only to die young and have no one to leave it to. The record companies won in the end.
No he lost. He was so controlling of his music dissemination and so obsessed with the rate of music he made and so hamstrung by having to make it challenging ( jazz daddy issues) that he made himself less and less relevant. If you go to Spotify you will see plenty of inferior artists with higher listener rates

He wasn't able to see that his most important legacy was the quality of his output and its reach. After Purple Rain he stopped spending enough time crafting each song and prioritising melody and rhythm. He still made great music and excellent songs but he could have been one of the top 10 artists with half the output at higher quality instead of top 50.

Last edited:
No he lost. He was so controlling of his music dissemination and so obsessed with the rate of music he made and so hamstrung by having to make it challenging ( jazz daddy issues) that he made himself less and less relevant. If you go to Spotify you will see plenty of inferior artists with higher listener rates

He wasn't able to see that his most important legacy was the quality of his output and its reach. After Purple Rain he stopped spending enough time crafting each song and prioritising melody and rhythm. He still made great music and excellent songs but he could have been one of the top 10 artists with half the output at higher quality instead of top 50.
You could very well be right, but there's also no way of knowing if his issues with his record label were the reason for all that. You're right that his albums became very uneven, but how can you know that was the only reason? And he still made wildly uneven albums for years after Purple Rain while he was still with his record label.

Marvel14

Banned
You could very well be right, but there's also no way of knowing if his issues with his record label were the reason for all that. You're right that his albums became very uneven, but how can you know that was the only reason? And he still made wildly uneven albums for years after Purple Rain while he was still with his record label.
I'm a super fan (if you couldn't tell) and there are so many songs that you can hear could have been amazing with some more work and focus on melody and hook.

My two favourite examples are Clouds and Screams of Passion...they both have killer hooks he just throws away instead of building the songs around them..

Even some of his classic songs..could have been better. The bridge in Raspberry Beret goes on for too long and completely detracts from the bouncy vibe of the whole song.

Last edited:

Quasicat

RIP Paul Reubens. Aka "Pee-wee Herman"

What’s so sad about this is that he was fighting cancer for 6 years and told very few people about it. Apparently he kept this from all professional contacts as he didn’t want to be associated with it. I hope he was able to tell his friends and family because having cancer can make you feel really lonely.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Jesse Jane 😭
Ah that sucks. She used to be hot. Not surprisingly, drug related.

David Soul of "Starsky & Hutch" fame died three weeks ago.

I never watched the show, but I remember it on in the 80s. I googled it now and didnt know the show was actually 1975-1979. I guess all the times I saw TV ads or listings in Starweek (a similar thing to TV Guide) were actually all reruns.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I considered if he rated his own thread, but probably not.

But RIP to Louis Gossette Jr, who was in a good number of great films back in the day.

Got an oscar for this outstanding role in Officer and a Gentleman
oaX9H8h.jpg

Underrated classic sci-fi Enemy Mine

jebHiRB.jpg

and perpetual early cable rerun fodder Iron Eagle

HcknQD7.jpg

and COUNTLESS others.

It's been a HELL of a year for black actors, damn.

AJUMP23

Gold Member

But RIP to Louis Gossette Jr, who was in a good number of great films back in the day.

oaX9H8h.jpg

jebHiRB.jpg

HcknQD7.jpg

and COUNTLESS others.

He was brilliant. Always loved his films.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member

oaX9H8h.jpg

jebHiRB.jpg

HcknQD7.jpg

and COUNTLESS others.

JAWS 3 baby

Top Bottom