• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFA response to anti-gay alleg. "Guilty as charged." Do NOT gloat about eating at CFA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demon Ice

Banned
Oh look another person trying to apply mosaic law to Christians. Nice try.

Oh, so now those laws are simply brushed off onto Moses and aren't applicable into Christianity anymore? That's awfully convenient. Does that mean that Christians don't get credit for the Ten Commandments either? Since they are Mosaic they must not apply to Christians...

By the way, I chose examples from Leviticus because that is the same book that condemns homosexuality. So I guess that ALSO doesn't apply now?

I think you watch the west wing too much. you're reading from the wrong book.

What, the Bible? There are plenty of New Testament verses that state that the laws of the Old Testament are not to be abolished.

Pollux

Oh, so now those laws are simply brushed off onto Moses and aren't applicable into Christianity anymore? That's awfully convenient. Does that mean that Christians don't get credit for the Ten Commandments either? Since they are Mosaic they must not apply to Christians...

By the way, I chose examples from Leviticus because that is the same book that condemns homosexuality. So I guess that ALSO doesn't apply now?

What, the Bible? There are plenty of New Testament verses that state that the laws of the Old Testament are not to be abolished.

I never said it did.

Demon Ice

Banned
I never said it did.

Then I'm confused as to why you commented on my earlier post as you did. Chick Fil A's COO (CEO? Not sure) stated that they do not support gay marriage because they want to run the company according to rules in the Bible (the same reason they are closed on Sunday). I'm pointing out rules in the Bible that they do not follow.

Edit:
I guess so, I haven't slept in a while. Sorry about that.

I see, no harm done.

Pollux

Then I'm confused as to why you commented on my earlier post as you did. Chick Fil A's COO (CEO? Not sure) stated that they do not support gay marriage because they want to run the company according to rules in the Bible. I'm pointing out rules in the Bible that they do not follow.

Yea, I've had a bad day/week and am exhausted, so I think I'm basically looking for things to fight about... Sorry for the derail. I'm going to get some sleep. Night y'all.

Demon Ice

Banned
So do the ten comandments no longer need to be followed as a Christian since those are mosaic law?

Does that mean that Christians don't get credit for the Ten Commandments either? Since they are Mosaic they must not apply to Christians...

tumblr_m5svx9AELq1qbaj4uo1_1280.jpg

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Religious nuts still arbitrarily choose which rules and tenants they are going to shove down everyone's throats and which conveniently don't matter.

There is a level of theological discourse beyond chain emails or forum/Facebook posts that quote a few Bible verses with a sentence or two of commentary/snark. That is a limited a way to view complex questions of human nature, regardless of which side you come down on.

I'm not the one who brought it up. I sometimes read and lurk. Mostly to chuckle. I don't generally see a point in arguing because no amount of civil discourse will lend to change on a board where there is no balance.

Manos clearly doesn't understand that I don't care what he thinks. I haven't made an argument one way or another on *anything* except to point out that he doesn't know how to read.

Mostly, I just think people are tards for picking on someone who cannot defend himself. Down here, we call that bullying. It is hateful. Anyone engaging in it while complaining about hate groups is ultimately a hypocrite.

Buenas noches.

Haha, I'm sorry I missed this live. Hate groups being equated to talking smack about JayDubya? Incredible.

jaxword

There is a level of theological discourse beyond chain emails or forum/Facebook posts that quote a few Bible verses with a sentence or two of commentary/snark. That is a limited a way to view complex questions of human nature, regardless of which side you come down on.

Some might say that it's a limited view to address complex questions with an already predetermined answer (God, Bible, etc.).

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Looks nothing like a CFA sandwich, but it was amazingly good. Next time you feel like deep frying stuff give it a try. It is sogood.gif.

Also pictured is an armadillo egg from serious eats. Pretty tasty too, but way overshadowed by the sandwich.

Nice, I hope you and your friends had a good time. I've never tried to fry anything before, don't want to deal with the mess. You might want to share your cooking adventure in the IronGAF thread, too.

tearsofash

So, our local CFA is having a "Princess Party" on the 21st. I'm wondering if I should attempt to get the local LGBT groups to go as drag princesses or something.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
So, our local CFA is having a "Princess Party" on the 21st. I'm wondering if I should attempt to get the local LGBT groups to go as drag princesses or something.

Sound funny, but that's not going to change any minds. If anything, it'll harden those against the cause if they bring their daughters to a family event and find drag pricnesses there trying to troll them. It all depends on what kind of message you want to send and whether your main objective is to change minds or make a point.

I'm on my phone and can't make a decent new thread, but CFA has agreed to stop donating to anti-gay organizations, supposedly:

http://chicagophoenix.com/2012/09/1...y-donations-mandates-equal-treatment-of-gays/

Just want to give a quick shout out to everyone that was willing to make the difficult sacrifice of not eating a specific sandwich in order to take a stand against a wrongdoing. I understand if it was too hard for some of you to do, but I'm sure your hearts were in the right place.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Just want to give a quick shout out to everyone that was willing to make the difficult sacrifice of not eating a specific sandwich in order to take a stand against a wrongdoing. I understand if it was too hard for some of you to do, but I'm sure your hearts were in the right place.

Bwahaha

Kinda surprised they folded actually. The whole controversy went away in about a week or two.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
I'm on my phone and can't make a decent new thread, but CFA has agreed to stop donating to anti-gay organizations, supposedly:

http://chicagophoenix.com/2012/09/1...y-donations-mandates-equal-treatment-of-gays/

Man, they really want to open that Logan Square store and sell chicken to hipsters.

Good to see that they're taking some steps towards equality. I'm not sure how one store would prompt this, so I'm wondering if maybe there were people in the company who were uncomfortable with the donations in the first place, but didn't speak up until after the earlier controversy.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Good to see that they're taking some steps towards equality. I'm not sure how one store would prompt this, so I'm wondering if maybe there were people in the company who were uncomfortable with the donations in the first place, but didn't speak up until after the earlier controversy.

Joe Moreno is an Alderman for the City of Chicago. Aldermen and Cook County Board Members, generally back each other on stances like this.

If they didn't do something, they would have been shut out of the Cook County/Chicago market.

Bwahaha

Kinda surprised they folded actually. The whole controversy went away in about a week or two.

The media focus may have went away after a week or two, but the silent boycott of many didn't end. Ultimately their goal is to sell as many sandwiches to as many people as possible. A more noble goal than protecting marriage from those dirty, nasty gays.

The donations to anti-gay organizations was the kicker for me. I never cared what the owner's actual thoughts were. Now that the donations are stopping, I see no reason to continue my boycott.

Koomaster

The donations to anti-gay organizations was the kicker for me. I never cared what the owner's actual thoughts were. Now that the donations are stopping, I see no reason to continue my boycott.
I still see no reason to stop the boycott, they've still donated millions to anti-gay organizations. Maybe once I've eaten millions in food at other restaurants I will consider going to CFA again. Either that or when they start donating to LGBT causes to make up for all the harm they have caused.

I am kind of surprised they caved though; if this picks up in the news cycle their staunch supporters would probably turn against them. The people they were catering to are quick to call boycotts of their own at any perceived slight.

I still see no reason to stop the boycott, they've still donated millions to anti-gay organizations. Maybe once I've eaten millions in food at other restaurants I will consider going to CFA again. Either that or when they start donating to LGBT causes to make up for all the harm they have caused.

I am kind of surprised they caved though; if this picks up in the news cycle their staunch supporters would probably turn against them. The people they were catering to are quick to call boycotts of their own at any perceived slight.

True, and truth be told, I don't know when I'll begin eating there again, but I think measuring the amount of harm caused is a difficult thing to quantify.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
This is welcome news, but I wonder how well they will follow through with it.

If they actually do, then it's only proper to show them that not funding hate groups has its advantages.

jaxword

This has nothing to do with equality and completely, totally, caused by profits.

Someone in a boardroom somewhere saw a drop in profits and immediately said to do the necessary damage control.

No morality involved.

kehs

Banned
I'm dying to see the responses from the people that went to chickfila en masse during their bigot spending spree.

Weird how some people spell "Chick-fil-A" way wrong, sometimes multiple different ways in the same post. You're right on their facebook page, you can just scroll up and have a gander...

Anyway, good that they've stopped donations. I didn't think they would.

Just start serving the banana pudding milkshakes again and they'll all come back. Glad to see they've stopped the donations so I no longer have to have conversations about what it means politically to buy a chicken sandwich. And the fact that they're not donating to a bullshit cause...that too.

Eric C

It kind of makes sense that Chick-Fil-A would wait for the issue to get out of the media and then quietly back down.

The anti-gay stance probably didn't hurt them right now today... but it made expansion into the Northeast of the country much more difficult. And in 20-30 years it would probably start effecting the some of the Southern stores too.

Joe Moreno is an Alderman for the City of Chicago. Aldermen and Cook County Board Members, generally back each other on stances like this.

If they didn't do something, they would have been shut out of the Cook County/Chicago market.

Chick-Fil-A must've REALLY wanted to open another store in Chicago.

Anyway good for Moreno.

lol

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery

R.I.P. First Amendment.

It was fun while it lasted.

And by "it" I mean the constitution. :(

Looks like someone looking at the polling, ran the numbers, and realized it was a really stupid business decision. Score one for the free market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom