• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2017 Week 7 |OT| Chooooklahoma, where the Cyclones come wrecking up the plains

I never said you don't understand homefield advantage (and we're not even talking homefield advantage, actually - it's travel and scheduling more than the actual location of the game that I was referring to). I said it's easy to overlook it when you're so much better than every other team in football that it never comes in play. And also when your conference never puts you in these situations in the first place.

I also never said it decided contests on its own either. I merely said it wasn't meaningless!

Nah. My views now were my views before Saban ever set foot in Tuscaloosa as anything other than LSU's coach. If you're better than the other team on a given day, you're just better. But I suppose we just gotta agree to disagree.

cdyhybrid

Nah. My views now were my views before Saban ever set foot in Tuscaloosa as anything other than LSU's coach. If you're better than the other team on a given day, you're just better. But I suppose we just gotta agree to disagree.

That's the thing though. Why was the other team better that day? Being more rested is a part of it. That's all I'm saying.

If we take that stance to the extreme, let's just play games on three days rest at 3am.

If you're the better team this won't be an issue, right?

That's the thing though. Why was the other team better that day? Being more rested is a part of it. That's all I'm saying.

If we take that stance to the extreme, let's just play games on three days rest at 3am.

If you're the better team this won't be an issue, right?

Hell yeah it's an issue. It's an issue for the other team, too. So it's a wash, away team or no. I disagree with the premise that the home team is significantly more rested than the other is.

AntoneM

Got Washington and Wazzu confused because they're both similarly named Pac-12 teams I don't give much of a shit about, and they both got exposed this weekend. Oops.

The dig that I don't understand how home field advantage works because my team is better than yours is is stupid.

Don't really care who our coach is, complaining that your team only lost because it played on an abnormal day of the week is stupid. Consider it a factor, sure, but it's not deciding any contests on its own. Clemson, for example, lost because their QB was hurt and they don't have a sufficient running game, nor are they a particularly explosive team, even with Bryant on the field. Depending on a backup kicker didn't help. An extra day of practice, as an away team or not, wasn't fixing any of that.
Dat SEC education tho...

Let's stop talking about the playoffs and admire the fact that Khalil Tate is a QB and has rushed for 557 yards on 29 carries in his last two games and somehow saved Dick Rod's job.

No dominant conference this year confirmed by Pac 12 homer Jeff Sagarin

This is the current Sagarin Conference Ratings.

78.67 Big-12
78.35 ACC
78.10 PAC-12
78.00 Big-10
77.67 SEC

ryseing

Let's stop talking about the playoffs and admire the fact that Khalil Tate is a QB and has rushed for 557 yards on 29 carries in his last two games and somehow saved Dick Rod's job.

"The Arizona Wildcats are checking every box on the Program Collapse checklist"- Bill Connelly, May 2017

tebunker

Banned
Seems like Alabama never plays Thursday/Friday games. Does Nick Saban's influence/demands have anything to do with that?

IDK. I think Cal was used to the forest fire induced poor air quality a lot better than Wazzu

The SEC contract has more to do with that than anything.

CBS can have a team four times and can occasionally pay for one or two more. That in and of itself keeps SEC teams of Thursdays. Espn seems to prefer SEC games as the lead in to Pac12 games Saturday.

I do remember them playing more weekday games about 15 years or so ago, but it feels like that chnaged with the latest tv contract.

Draconian

Seems like Alabama never plays Thursday/Friday games. Does Nick Saban's influence/demands have anything to do with that?

Outside of Week 1 (rarely) and the week of Thanksgiving, there are never any games within the conference on Thursday/Friday. They also tried to do the Iron Bowl on Friday a few years ago, but it's reverted back to Saturday now.

FyreWulff

HKaZGta.png

tebunker

Banned
Outside of Week 1 (rarely) and the week of Thanksgiving, there are never any games within the conference on Thursday/Friday. They also tried to do the Iron Bowl on Friday a few years ago, but it's reverted back to Saturday now.

I liked the black Friday games and the Friday Iron Bowl too.

If we do wanna talk scheduling though, Saban beings up the 9 conference games thing every year at the SEC meetings. All the other shitty coaches find some way to whine about how hard it is etc. Or how they need to do these charity games to help out fcs programs. Its a bunch of crap and it really is frustrating.

I'd love to see Bama drop a Fresno state tier game or even the fcs game to pick up another east team.

Then again I think auburn should go to the east where they belong. Mizzou should be in the west, we should trade Arkansas for West Va in the Big12 Holgerson>Bert and add two more schools ( a Florida school like USF and either another east texas school or a school like Memphis ) and give double middle fingers to everyone.

But I am a radical when it comes to some college football stuff.

"Michigan State has outdone Michigan as the Big Ten-iest team you've ever seen."

I liked the black Friday games and the Friday Iron Bowl too.

If we do wanna talk scheduling though, Saban beings up the 9 conference games thing every year at the SEC meetings. All the other shitty coaches find some way to whine about how hard it is etc. Or how they need to do these charity games to help out fcs programs. Its a bunch of crap and it really is frustrating.

I'd love to see Bama drop a Fresno state tier game or even the fcs game to pick up another east team.

Then again I think auburn should go to the east where they belong. Mizzou should be in the west, we should trade Arkansas for West Va in the Big12 Holgerson>Bert and add two more schools ( a Florida school like USF and either another east texas school or a school like Memphis ) and give double middle fingers to everyone.

But I am a radical when it comes to some college football stuff.

It's bullshit that you can play on an SEC team for 5 years and not see every team and stadium during your time there.

Memphis would be a great addition to the SEC. It would take some years of growth in recruiting, but they typically play physical football. Especially when Fuente was there.

A team like UCF would struggle a little more. They are used to their quarterbacks sitting in a pocket with yards and yards to sprawl out in, so you end up with a situation where Blake Bortles looks like dynamite. The Jaguar detection device determined that was a lie. (Disclosure: huge hater bias against UCF anyway.)

USF would be interesting, especially while Strong is there. Welcome him back into the fold. But they could just as easily assimilate into the ACC.

Draxal

Memphis would be a great addition to the SEC. It would take some years of growth in recruiting, but they typically play physical football. Especially when Fuente was there.

A team like UCF would struggle a little more. They are used to their quarterbacks sitting in a pocket with yards and yards to sprawl out in, so you end up with a situation where Blake Bortles looks like dynamite. The Jaguar detection device determined that was a lie. (Disclosure: huge hater bias against UCF anyway.)

USF would be interesting, especially while Strong is there. Welcome him back into the fold. But they could just as easily assimilate into the ACC.

TIGER POD!

jjasper

I can't believe they are going to trot Butch Jones out today for a weekly press conference. I mean what is there to talk about st this point.

Also Memphis wouldn't be a good fit for the SEC for a lot of reasons.

The Jags issue is that they're a terrible team and likely anyone would struggle there. Memphis has been terrible forever except for the last couple years. Also, their basketball has fallen off a cliff so you can't even rely on that anymore.

UCF is the only one of this group that has had some relatively consistent high level of success within their conference over the last 10-15 years. UCF has made it work with old-school pro-style football in the past and newer, dynamic football under Frost so far. Our location blows away anything Memphis can offer and our recruiting would explode even more with a larger conference.

USF would probably be solid too. But without an on-campus stadium, they will be limited I think in support. A lot of their highest attended games relied upon the fans of larger schools visiting - rather than those fans actually being USF fans.

tebunker

Banned
The Jags issue is that they're a terrible team and likely anyone would struggle there. Memphis has been terrible forever except for the last couple years. Also, their basketball has fallen off a cliff so you can't even rely on that anymore.

UCF is the only one of this group that has had some relatively consistent high level of success within their conference over the last 10-15 years. UCF has made it work with old-school pro-style football in the past and newer, dynamic football under Frost so far. Our location blows away anything Memphis can offer and our recruiting would explode even more with a larger conference.

USF would probably be solid too. But without an on-campus stadium, they will be limited I think in support. A lot of their highest attended games relied upon the fans of larger schools visiting - rather than those fans actually being USF fans.

Memphis goes along woth my narrative of kicking Arky out. As Memphis can capture all of that area and more.

I would be fine with UCF or USF, but its Gata that cries anytime they talked about adding another Florida squad. If the ACC can do it, by god, the SEC can do it better!

UCF bring Orlando and Tampa in to play better. Hell UF is just really south Georgia anyway!

Man I wish we could get some more change in CFB. Honestly 4-5 super conferences should happen by region and then the regular season becomes de facto playoffs again. But there's too much money and protectionism by the big programs. Not realizing that long term it will make the sport better.

You'd think that the Non-P5 conferences would just give up the pretense of trying to get in a P5 amd just go off and make their own CFB conference/league and Playoffs. The NCAA wields very little control and it would give the G5 conferences a lot more power in negotiations if they worked together.

You'd think that the Non-P5 conferences would just give up the pretense of trying to get in a P5 amd just go off and make their own CFB conference/league and Playoffs. The NCAA wields very little control and it would give the G5 conferences a lot more power in negotiations if they worked together.

Then we become a new FCS. And plenty of programs in P5 leagues that have done jack shit in decades get to keep on trucking as if they've put in a fraction of the work some top G5 programs have put in. Nah, fuck that!

Karl2177

Memphis goes along woth my narrative of kicking Arky out. As Memphis can capture all of that area and more.

I would be fine with UCF or USF, but its Gata that cries anytime they talked about adding another Florida squad. If the ACC can do it, by god, the SEC can do it better!

UCF bring Orlando and Tampa in to play better. Hell UF is just really south Georgia anyway!

Man I wish we could get some more change in CFB. Honestly 4-5 super conferences should happen by region and then the regular season becomes de facto playoffs again. But there's too much money and protectionism by the big programs. Not realizing that long term it will make the sport better.
Super conferences suck though. I said it earlier and I'll actually explain it this time, but if conferences stay a thing, 10 teams is one of the best numbers for them. Ignoring Bowlsby being a giant fuck-up in 2014, there is 1 true champion through the round robin schedule. You get the opportunity to see every team every year, and you get to visit every stadium every 2 years. When it comes to basketball you get a home and away with every team every year. Money is split 10 ways versus 14, so individual schools stand to make a bit more off of conference TV deals.

tebunker

Banned
Then we become a new FCS. And plenty of programs in P5 leagues that have done jack shit in decades get to keep on trucking as if they've put in a fraction of the work some top G5 programs have put in. Nah, fuck that!

Honestly it would take something even more radical like G5 schools walking away from playing P5 schools to force change. Only play one another. Which isn't going to happen with the way P5 controls cash.

Super conferences suck though. I said it earlier and I'll actually explain it this time, but if conferences stay a thing, 10 teams is one of the best numbers for them. Ignoring Bowlsby being a giant fuck-up in 2014, there is 1 true champion through the round robin schedule. You get the opportunity to see every team every year, and you get to visit every stadium every 2 years. When it comes to basketball you get a home and away with every team every year. Money is split 10 ways versus 14, so individual schools stand to make a bit more off of conference TV deals.

Round robin producing only on champion is basically only guaranteed if a team goes undefeated. Short of that with multiple teams potentially having losses, you have to resort to tie-breakers, etc., to have a "true" champion as a bowl/playoff representative, even though the title is split officially. The American used a round robin prior to Navy getting in and in 2014, we ended up with 3 champions. Big 10 and others have been through that too.

CCG is the only guaranteed method to produce one and only champ on the field at the end of the season. Even if the "better" team loses during the CCG. Big XII just happened to go about it in the absolutely worst was possible because that is the way of the Big XII.

Random hot take; Jake Browning is not good at football.

There's no point in adding another Tennessee team to the SEC. We've got 2. Memphis doesn't expand our footprint at all.

If/when expansion happens, I think we nab Oklahoma and/or Okie State and call it a day (I think there are ACC teams that'd fit better, but the ACC is strong and building, and the Big XII is...something else).

jjasper

I mean they either need to fire him (obviously the preferred choice) or cut him off and end any media interaction. Any time he talks it is a punch line and an embrassment to the team and school.

Karl2177

Round robin producing only on champion is basically only guaranteed if a team goes undefeated. Short of that with multiple teams potentially having losses, you have to resort to tie-breakers, etc., to have a "true" champion as a bowl/playoff representative, even though the title is split officially. The American used a round robin prior to Navy getting in and in 2014, we ended up with 3 champions. Big 10 and others have been through that too.

CCG is the only guaranteed method to produce one and only champ on the field at the end of the season. Even if the "better" team loses during the CCG. Big XII just happened to go about it in the absolutely worst was possible because that is the way of the Big XII.
That's the point of the tiebreaker rules though. Baylor won the Big 12 in 2014 because of its head to head against TCU, despite Bowlsby trying to weasel his way into getting 2 teams into the playoff by declaring them co-champions.

Looking at the American in 2014, it wasn't a true round robin. 11 teams means that each team requires 10 conference games, but each team only had 8 conference games. UCF didn't play either of the 2 teams that they shared the title with.

Another big problem with divisions is that there is a good chance the 2 best teams come from the same division. 2011 is the prime example of it. SEC West had the 2 best (arguably 3 best) teams in the conference, but yet the conference championship was between the best team and the 3rd or 4th best team because of the split in divisions. Or like in 2013, where the loser of the SEC championship game would lose out on an automatic BCS bid based on win %. In that case, Alabama probably was better than Missouri, so it worked out, but having the championship game literally had no benefit for one of the teams in it.

Random hot take; Jake Browning is not good at football.

There's no point in adding another Tennessee team to the SEC. We've got 2. Memphis doesn't expand our footprint at all.

If/when expansion happens, I think we nab Oklahoma and/or Okie State and call it a day (I think there are ACC teams that'd fit better, but the ACC is strong and building, and the Big XII is...something else).

I'm cool with a geographical refocus, so the SEC stays more in line with the Southeastern US.

If that means overlapping markets, that's fine.

As for your hot take, you're not wrong. Dude is just inconsistent. And it looks like pressure is the big key to whether he's on or not. But in fairness, his "on" is pretty fucking good.

Oh, that's bad. What an idiot.

I'm cool with a geographical refocus, so the SEC stays more in line with the Southeastern US.

If that means overlapping markets, that's fine.

As for your hot take, you're not wrong. Dude is just inconsistent. And it looks like pressure is the big key to whether he's on or not. But in fairness, his "on" is pretty fucking good.

Overlapping markets isn't part of the SEC's goal, though. If they're gonna add teams, they're going to expand their reach. Memphis doesn't fit with that, and they also just aren't good or big enough to warrant consideration, honestly. A&M worked to get them into Texas (and LSU already leaks over into the state), for example.

Browning only ever seems to be on against bad teams. I've never seen him be good against a team with a pulse. I remember them beating Colorado last year in spite of his play.

Ah, I'd been wondering why you always talked so much about Rice football.

I only ever really mention them at the start of a season to wonder how bad we're gonna be. Like this season, I was semi-excited to see us get blown out by Stanford in Australia, and we didn't disappoint.

tebunker

Banned
I'm telling you, they haven't fired him yet because they want him to get embarrassed by Saban one last time. It's part of his punishment.

Obligatory

🙌🙌👏👏 Bless!

I keep 'I hate Tennessee ' in the favs so I can easily explain it to folks.

Note I only want Memphis for when we kick Arky out / they leave with their little piggy tails between their legs. They've always felt like they shoulda stuck with the other SWC teams and didn't really fit in to the SEC. Missouri feels more Sec than Arky at times. So Memphis keeps that geographic region while bringing in a program that could compete and has a culture that I think could fit better long term

cdyhybrid

Overlapping markets isn't part of the SEC's goal, though. If they're gonna add teams, they're going to expand their reach. Memphis doesn't fit with that, and they also just aren't good or big enough to warrant consideration, honestly. A&M worked to get them into Texas (and LSU already leaks over into the state), for example.

Browning only ever seems to be on against bad teams. I've never seen him be good against a team with a pulse. I remember them beating Colorado last year in spite of his play.

I only ever really mention them at the start of a season to wonder how bad we're gonna be. Like this season, I was semi-excited to see us get blown out by Stanford in Australia, and we didn't disappoint.
Jake is basically a game manager on steroids. He can drive a Ferrari at high speed on a track but he can't drive an escape route through rush hour traffic.

Draxal

I don't think its even markets right now that the SEC is after but it obviously won't hurt. They're after flagship schools with good/great academics (UNC is obviously the big Prize they want).

tebunker

Banned
I don't think its even markets right now that the SEC is after but it obviously won't hurt. They're after flagship schools with good/great academics (UNC is obviously the big Prize they want).

They wanted VT too( wanted those great engineering/architecture/IT schools ) but they balked. I think short term VT made the right choice, but long term the ACC isn't the best place for their football or basketball programs, and it isn't what their fanbase wanted.

I doubt UNC would ever leave the ACC. Their ties to the triangle are too important. SEC could go after STATE though and get nearly everything they want out of a UNC minus their rabid fanbase.

Maybe we should just get rid of all conferences.

Listen to this poster. They've already said schools like GT aren't in play because of this.

Top Bottom