• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chappelle criticizes Clinton and LGBT activists, defends Trump's sexual assault

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big One

Banned
I don't see how this is a surprise. His comedy is full of homophobia and transphobic shit. It wasnt even till recently where he's opened up to gay folks.

I know it's not a popular opinion here but I think expecting African Americans to care about LGBT struggles to the degree white people can is unfair. Like, if you're a white male masculine straight-acting gay guy, you probably aren't having to deal with the kind of daily microaggressions and overt discrimination that even a straight black guy would. And from what I understand, even gay black guys face discrimination from the gay community, so they basically face persecution from both sides.

And speaking as a white person, I get the impression that a lot of white people stopped caring about civil rights after the Supreme Court legalized gay marriage nationwide, and I can't help but get the impression that a lot of progressive white people care more about LGBT rights than black civil rights, even though black Americans arguably do face more persecution on a daily basis. This sounds heartless but you can be in the closet about being gay or trans; you can't do the same about being black. And this is purely anecdotal but on tumblr I've noticed that there are way more notes on posts about about LGBT rights political posts than those about ending racism and things like that, and while the black people I follow reblog both things about black civil rights and LGBT rights, most of the LGBT people I follow (all of whom, from what I can tell, are white) only ever reblog LGBT stuff.

So like when I see some of these white LGBT people my age living in super liberal states, especially the ones who say they are LGBT because they are "asexual" or "agender" (and don't identify as trans, either) acting like they are super persecuted but don't ever seem to think about racial oppression it feels a little disconcerting, because it seems to me that African Americans do actually face more persecution than white LGBT folks do. And the LGBT community seems pretty focused on white LGBT people. Like, I saw they made a movie about the Stonewall Riots recently, and they just invented a young white male protagonist even though it was mostly LGBT people of color that kickstarted not only those riots but the early LGBT rights moments as a whole; they even had the audacity to frame it like it was this guy personally that started the riots.

So I can see where Chappelle is coming from here when he says people like that should be ashamed. Intersectionality needs to be better addressed.

They are allies though, that's the point, they should naturally be allies against their mutual oppressor. That division was created artificially.

For instance the nature/nurture debate was specifically crafted and created in order to alienate other opporessed groups from LGBT people. "See they choose to be gay I didn't chose to be black."

How can different groups of people automatically be allies ? Even if they have a common enemy they would only put aside their differences until that enemy is defeated .

Nature vs Nuture is a debate that will never end

I know it's not a popular opinion here but I think expecting African Americans to care about LGBT struggles to the degree white people can is unfair. Like, if you're a white male masculine straight-acting gay guy, you probably aren't having to deal with the kind of daily microaggressions and overt discrimination that even a straight black guy would. And from what I understand, even gay black guys face discrimination from the gay community, so they basically face persecution from both sides.

And speaking as a white person, I get the impression that a lot of white people stopped caring about civil rights after the Supreme Court legalized gay marriage nationwide, and I can't help but get the impression that a lot of progressive white people care more about LGBT rights than black civil rights, even though black Americans arguably do face more persecution on a daily basis. This sounds heartless but you can be in the closet about being gay or trans; you can't do the same about being black. And this is purely anecdotal but on tumblr I've noticed that there are way more notes on posts about about LGBT rights political posts than those about ending racism and things like that, and while the black people I follow reblog both things about black civil rights and LGBT rights, most of the LGBT people I follow (all of whom, from what I can tell, are white) only ever reblog LGBT stuff.

So like when I see some of these white LGBT people my age living in super liberal states, especially the ones who say they are LGBT because they are "asexual" or "agender" (and don't identify as trans, either) acting like they are super persecuted but don't ever seem to think about racial oppression it feels a little disconcerting, because it seems to me that African Americans do actually face more persecution than white LGBT folks do. And the LGBT community seems pretty focused on white LGBT people. Like, I saw they made a movie about the Stonewall Riots recently, and they just invented a young white male protagonist even though it was mostly LGBT people of color that kickstarted not only those riots but the early LGBT rights moments as a whole; they even had the audacity to frame it like it was this guy personally that started the riots.

So I can see where Chappelle is coming from here when he says people like that should be ashamed. Intersectionality needs to be better addressed.

Yeah, that works out great for people.

lol? The only surprising thing here is the amount of people surprised by this.

It's Dave Chappelle...

He's still hilarious but if you've ever seen his stand up or his show...come on now.

Being in the closet is a societal function that exists because gay people of all nationalities and races are subjected to discrimination outside of that closet.

It's not a safety net, it's a direct result of persecution that has tremendous adverse effects on LGBT people.

Yes there are black lbgt people and women , but to them race comes first . Lbgt and women have every right for equality but to compare it to race of people I think makes some not all African Americans feel a certain way.

I am not saying whether whoever feels a certain way is right or wrong , I'm only explaining how people like Chappelle come to think the way they do.

They would argue that more has been done for lbgt and women in the US compared to black people as a whole. While that is great for them it causes some to have bad feelings towards them when they compare their struggle to African Americans who feel left behind.

I'm black and gay, and I think he can fuck off with that statement. It's not a race, and you can easily advocate for both. In live in the DC metro area, and during the last year, there's been a rash of murders and assaults against Black Transwomen that local lgbt activists had been struggling to get any traction in the news for. Just because gay marriage was legalized doesn't mean that everything is all hunky-dory for LGBT peoples and we don't need to take the time to speak out for ourselves anymore. That's a dangerous trap to fall into and very similar to how some deluded themselves into thinking we're in a post-racial society because of the black civil rights movement.

mattp

dave chappelle is a fucking asshole and no one wants to admit it because he did some funny sketches about rick james

I'm black and gay, and I think he can fuck off with that statement. It's not a race, and you can easily advocate for both. In live in the DC metro area, and during the last year, there's been a rash of murders and assaults against Black Transwomen that local lgbt activists had been struggling to get any traction in the news for. Just because gay marriage was legalized doesn't mean that everything is all hunky-dory for LGBT peoples and we don't need to take the time to speak out for ourselves anymore. That's a dangerous trap to fall into and very similar to how some deluded themselves into thinking we're in a post-racial society because of the black civil rights movement.

I am heterosexual black male and I'm giving the point of view how some not all black people feel. Just like you have gay black women or men like yourself who would disagree with you and put their race before their gender and sexuality.

I'm not against you, just showing where maybe Chappelle is coming from. Imo the privilege ladder is white men then white women . Could it be argued that next in line would be gay white males then gay females and everybody else? You are right this is not a race but it could be argued that black gay people as yourself have the worst of it all and just above you is heterosexual black men and women.

Do you see where I am coming from?

I am heterosexual black male and I'm giving the point of view how some not all black people feel just like you have gay black women or man like yourself who would disagree with you and put their race before their gender and sexuality.

I'm not against you just showing where maybe Chappelle is coming from. Imo the privilege ladder is white men then white women . Could it be argued that next in line would be gay white males then females and everybody else?

Matthew_Shepard_never_forget_500_350_55.jpg

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I am heterosexual black male and I'm giving the point of view how some not all black people feel just like you have gay black women or men like yourself who would disagree with you and put their race before their gender and sexuality.

I'm not against you, just showing where maybe Chappelle is coming from. Imo the privilege ladder is white men then white women . Could it be argued that next in line would be gay white males then gay females and everybody else? You are right this is not a race but it could be argued that black gay people as yourself have the worst of it all and just above you is heterosexual black men and women.

I honestly am not sure what point you're trying to get except that some people are concerned and think one way and other people of the same group might think differently. I could be missing something but your point seems fairly simple and could be applied to most anything involving human beliefs/opinions i.e. some Christians believe you need to follow the Pope while other Christians don't believe that at all.

I honestly am not sure what point you're trying to get except that some people are concerned and think one way and other people of the same group might think differently. I could be missing something but your point seems fairly simple and could be applied to most anything involving human beliefs/opinions i.e. some Christians believe you need to listen to the Pope but other Christians don't think that.

It was in reference to how the comparison of lbgt rights to civil rights for some black people is not a good comparison.

That comparing the two , causes one group of people to feel a certain way about the other. How Chappelle as wrong as he is comes off very insensitive and said that people shouldn't be talking about lbgt rights and women equality to black people. That while we are not against each other , we are not allies either and that some black gay trans people put their race before everything else.

Syder

I don't see how this is a surprise. His comedy is full of homophobia and transphobic shit. It wasnt even till recently where he's opened up to gay folks.
Yeah, the only thing that surprises me about this story is people's shock. Dude created a legendary show
[more than a decade ago]
and was a great stand-up but this stuff has always been part of his repertoire, although it seems to have worsened as years have gone by.
People have just put this guy on a pedestal because he disappeared in his prime and was gone for so long.

Dave Chapelle.

Black, Muslim

...Trump supporter.
TadkV.gif

Some people need to get real with this shit. Dave go back to making jokes about black people and black stereotypes that middle class white people can enjoy and all will be good.

"Black suffrage" in the United States in the aftermath of the American Civil War explicitly refers to "Black Male Suffrage" as no women of any race or ethnic group was granted the right to vote until the passage of the 19th Amendment which was ratified by the United States Congress on August 18 and then certified by law on August 26, 1920.

Strike

00024bsc.gif

Comedians say fucked up things. They may not always say things that you necessarily agree with. I get that, but this is still disappointing to hear that coming from him.

I am heterosexual black male and I'm giving the point of view how some not all black people feel just like you have gay black women or men like yourself who would disagree with you and put their race before their gender and sexuality.

I'm not against you, just showing where maybe Chappelle is coming from. Imo the privilege ladder is white men then white women . Could it be argued that next in line would be gay white males then females and everybody else? You are right this is not a race but it could be argued that black gay people as yourself have the worst of all and just above you is heterosexual black men and women.

I'm aware of the fact that I have two burdens placed on me, which is exactly why I don't appreciate comments like Chappelle's. When you have your feet in both ponds it's rather frustrating to see either side show a lack of understanding that you think would be there considering that we're both oppressed groups.

Like that closet mention from a few posts up. Yeah, black people can't hide their skin color. It's 100% true and a big part of why being black can be absolutely frustrating, but being closeted is no fucking trip either, especially when you feel that you have to be an actor toward your own blood because you're paranoid that even they won't take who you really are lightly. You start seeing people as potential hazards.

I'm aware of the fact that I have two burdens placed on me, which is exactly why I don't appreciate comments like Chappelle's. When you have your feet in both ponds it's rather frustrating to see either side show a lack of understanding that you think would be there considering that we're both oppressed groups.

Like that closet mention from a few posts up. Yeah, black people can't hide their skin color. It's 100% true and a big part of why being black can be absolutely frustrating, but being closeted is no fucking trip either, especially when you feel that you have to be an actor toward your own blood because you're paranoid that even they won't take who you really are lightly. You start seeing people as potential hazards.

NOTHING is more terrifying than being scared of your own family.

Mesousa

Banned
Dave Chapelle.

Black, Muslim

...Trump supporter.
TadkV.gif

Some people need to get real with this shit. Dave go back to making jokes about black people and black stereotypes that middle class white people can enjoy and all will be good.

100% truth.

Its so funny in here laughing at folks who say they JUST NOW lost respect for him.

What? Its all good with the Nigger family and rick james sketches, but him talking about gays and the queen too much? FOH.

Chapelle has ALWAYS been unfunny. He's ALWAYS been a way for white people to laugh at untrue, unfunny, and lazy black stereotypes, and he's always been a way for boring black people to relate to their white coworkers as they laugh AT you, and not WITH you.

Hale-XF11

It's been a disappointing week for comedians. Fuck.

Do people take comedians seriously? Cocaine sure is one hell of a drug.

Comedians are regarded as one of the highest voices of truth. The funniest comedians are the ones we can relate to the most because they speak the truth. They're also kinda punk in that they are mostly anti-establishment and the least conservative.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
100% truth.

Its so funny in here laughing at folks who say they JUST NOW lost respect for him.

What? Its all good with the Nigger family and rick james sketches, but him talking about gays and the queen too much? FOH.

Chapelle has ALWAYS been unfunny. He's ALWAYS been a way for white people to laugh at untrue, unfunny, and lazy black stereotypes, and he's always been a way for boring black people to relate to their white coworkers as they laugh AT you, and not WITH you.

Isn't one of the big reasons for him dropping the Chappelle show and disappearing from the public view so suddenly?

Ponn

Banned
Aren't different minorities and sub groups all ready divided naturally ? So it would only make sense that they would care for their own first and foremost before others. That is not to say that they should be against each other but its also not like they are allies either.

There are black gay women some who put their race before their gender or sexual preference.

Some of the worst and vile anti-gay stuff on my feeds come from my nephew's FB account. Guess whos comments and jokes he quoted and liked about Caitlyn Jenner? If one minority doesn't want to be an ally to another for whatever reasons fine. That's not an excuse to perpetuate hateful rhetoric and ideas onto very impressionable younger generations.

Alienfan

For some weird reason people on this board think that you must change over night or something or you can't change at all. That's a weird thing to think about people.

You're absolutely right, change is not an overnight thing. But I think for someone who is working within such a public space, on a platform that has the potential to influence other people, that maybe they should be held to different standard than your average transphobic grandad. They should be making an effort to change quicker, when certain jokes become undeniably socially unacceptable and harmful, that's usually a sign to shift things up a bit. He's clearly capable of it like you said

Damerman

i don't like anyone who uses the term PC un-ironically. but this is bullshit. you guys are way misinterpreting what he says and are running away with it.

LordKasual

Banned
Dave Chapelle.

Black, Muslim

...Trump supporter.
TadkV.gif

He voted for Hillary....

I cannot believe articles with obvious rhetoric spins like this are so fucking effective, jesus christ

No wonder Trump has gotten as far as he has

Acrylic7

Are people here seriously mad a Dave Chapelle the Comedian doing a comedy routine?
Im confused as to how anyone can think he is being serious and shit.

Nesotenso

Dave Chapelle.

Black, Muslim

...Trump supporter.
TadkV.gif

I think you struggle with comprehension. As someone who has seen his standup about 2 months ago, he definitely is not a Trump supporter.

I think you struggle with comprehension. As someone who has seen his standup about 2 months ago, he definitely is not a Trump supporter.

I think you do if you are not comprehending my post.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough, Chapelle literally has no reason to support Trump is what I am saying.

Fuchsdh

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect (straight) black people will care more about their own problems than those of gay people. We tend to be self-centered. It's why breast cancer survivors are the ones contributing to charities, or the parents of kids with the terrible childhood diseases create research foundations. You only have so much time, energy, and money.

But the oppression olympics people play is dumb. There's a lot of different ways our society isn't fair, and it's probably going to be addressed a hell of a lot faster if people band together, because otherwise it's a bunch of groups that are <15% of the population trying to fight against entrenched interests. That's never going to be an easy struggle.

Point is, Chappelle didn't say "I'm not personally invested in gay rights the way I am in civil rights for black folks," he said that "gay rights are not as important", and that's just fucked up.

Gay is possible I think, with the right circumstances. Transgender is a long, long way away.

Even if we magically solved our issues with LGBT issues tomorrow, they're a tiny percentage of the population. If the president was picked randomly from a hat of eligible candidates you could go decades or even hundreds of years without hitting a trans person.

Also, it's worth considering that depending on how society changes or doesn't regarding gender expression we might get a trans president who no one would even know about.

Moze

Banned
The argument that this is just comedy and it is fine is not something I agree with. It is absolutely okay for comedy to be ridiculously offensive if it is coming from a good place. 'Satire' often gets overused but it is a valid way to describe alot of comedy. The stuff I am reading in this thread and the transphobic thread linked in here just seems like it comes from a place of ignorance. Making a big deal and going out of his way to refer to a transgender woman as 'he'. And using language like, '' You go ahead and feel something about your rights. But if you’re putting sexism and homophobia and transphobia in front of racism, you should be ashamed of yourself'' sounds like he is trivialising those issues. To me it sounds like,''You go ahead and have your little feelings but let us take care if the important stuff in peace''.

Chappelle is going to attract the wrong crowd if he continues on like this. It's a shame because isn't attracting the wrong crowd the reason he took all that time off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom