• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Character models that bug you

retroman

mohawk-and-headphonejack_animated.gif

XenoRaven

The Hercules remodel from Smite.

His head is so tiny, the anatomy is all over the place and I really dislike the colour scheme and clothes, especially after the amazing design they had before:
Part of the issue with Herc is that his head was too big before, then they made his head too small.

Regiruler

Dust and Fidget from Dust: An Elysian Tail. Fidget especially. Just really don't like them, though the game is quite exceptional and beautifully animated.

EVERY character model from Code Name: STEAM

maxresdefault.jpg

The models for S.T.E.A.M.'s characters look substantially better in 3D. A lot of the enemies still suck, save for the prowler which has a little animation touch with its quills that I quite like.
500x_f6384406.jpg

Game is still phenomenal.

I'm glad bayo is so freakish so I never feel that dirty when playing it.

Melchiah

The balloon-headed characters of FFVII and IX. They made it hard to take the story seriously. VII was particularly odd, as the FMVs and concept art featured properly proportioned characters.

I have no sympathy for people bugged by Awakening's feet issue because (1) it's incredible to me that anyone plays FE games with the battle animations on and (2) character models are the least of Awakening's problems.

SPCTRE

basically all the female character models in Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE - Maiko being the most egregious example

superfluous (and entirely unrealistic) breast movement abound

it's like, what is this, DOAX?

Tyaren

Ryu Hayabusa in Dead or Alive 5. :( They completely messed up his face:

6baHMJD.png

He's supposed to be 25 years old...yeah right. XD And he was supposed to be a good looking guy before.

He also got hardly any muscle definition:

doa5u_ryu_hayabusa_costume_8_by_zareef-d8h5hc0.jpg

In my fitter days I have more visible abs than a super ninja, really? Whereas in Ninja Gaiden 3 he still was ripped like this:

f22ca54c707e5571c50f2de686314130.jpg

1313576922_0186.jpg

KevinCow

Banned
I can't find a good picture of it, but I hate the way adult Link's face looks in the N64 version of Ocarina of Time. His eyes are too close together and he looks kinda derpy and nothing like the artwork. It's on thing that I'm really glad they fixed in the 3DS version.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I can't find a good picture of it, but I hate the way adult Link's face looks in the N64 version of Ocarina of Time. His eyes are too close together and he looks kinda derpy and nothing like the artwork. It's on thing that I'm really glad they fixed in the 3DS version.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Ryu Hayabusa in Dead or Alive 5. :( They completely messed up his face:

6baHMJD.png

He's supposed to be 25 years old...yeah right. XD And he was supposed to be a good looking guy before.
This is him in Ninja Gaiden 3.

And here's a better shot of his DoA5 face.

I think it's a believably older looking version of this:

He's still a good looking guy.

Also, what the heck at the KH HD Ansem post. They look almost the same.

Not so with the example I quoted, but people are confusing models and character design quite a bit in this topic.

Almond

I've only played the Mass Effect demo's, but the character model's have always been really ugly to me. They're trying to go for as realistic as possible, but look too plastic-y and stiff.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
The dwarves in Dragon Age Origin had some really odd proportions, lucky some modders sorted it out.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
That is a fan edit. In reality he looks like this

ryu_hayabusa_maskless__request__by_doafanboi-d6yid6c.jpg

Made this pic myself in DOA5.

But, yes, in the fan edit he looks handsome and closer to an actual 25 year old.
You took what I said out of context, I meant that his DOA5 model looks 25 as it is. The fan edit is meant to make him look more like his previous/younger self:

Whereas everyone in DOA5 is also meant to look more realistic than usual. It is all a matter of opinion though.

SirNinja

I struggle to think of any character design from Battleborn that doesn't look like it would be instantly rejected by someone competent. Nearly everyone looks like a first draft of an Overwatch character, and I'm not exactly enraptured by that game's art style either.

I hate the way Fable 1's models looked. Bug-eyed, latern jawed bastards with ridiculously large feet and hands, the lot of them.

jRN6g6y.png
r74di7j.png

Oh god, this too. It's like they were purposefully trying to find the worst possible point between realistic and cartoon proportions. They're no better in motion, either.

watershed

Banned
Some have already been posted but most of the npcs in Zelda Twilight Princess are really ugly. The designs are like a bad mix between cartoony and faux-realistic and the sharp polygonal character models are especially bad compared to the much smoother character models in Wind Waker.

Tyaren

Tekken 7 models in general. I often see people claiming Tekken 7 would look so great, when it actually does look pretty disappointing. Especially the character models. They are pretty low polygon:

15990398925_3b419eda1e_b.jpg

Just look at the blocky shoulders...

lucky-chloe-tekken7-screenshot.jpg

Here I can literally count the polygons on Chloe's paw and hair. Also why is her fur jacket just made of a flat texture, as are the buttons on the paws? This generation there should be a little more possible.

Also, what is up with the hair of the characters. The alphamaps are really undetailed and of low resolution, almost like bitmaps:

Tekken-7-Nina.jpg

Again, I can count the polygons by the edges of Nina's boobs. ;)

Jharp

Out of nowhere, have a ridiculous, cartoonish looking SPACE NINJA!
kai.png

Fucking hell, Kai Leng was so fucking dumb.

score01

darksiders04.jpg

War from Darksiders. There is just something really off about the model which hampered my enjoyment of the game. Felt like a squashed midget. Also the head. It's been sprinkled with dust from the beetle juice guy.

Vex_

Banned
Xenoblade.

In game character models. Their faces always bothered me. Looks weird as fuck. Like their noses aren't made for their faces or something.

They kinda fixed that in xenoblade X, but I haven't played it to get a better look.

PBalfredo

The massive amounts of clipping on the models in the SFV character select screen. Hair, clothes and accessories clipping like mad is acceptable during the match since everything's so dynamic, but the poses and animation on the character select screen are not only canned, but also completely right in your face. No one thought to clean those up?

In a game with gorgeous art like this:

latest

You're met with in-game models that look like this:

l_534e873e77d25_thumb.jpg

I really don't understand why they can't use the art style of Symphonia/Abyss/Vesperia instead of the butt ugly style used in the more recent games. The cel-shaded look was way more faithful to the character art and in-game skits.

I've only played the Mass Effect demo's, but the character model's have always been really ugly to me. They're trying to go for as realistic as possible, but look too plastic-y and stiff.

The faces of every human model in ME1 are downright hideous. The horrendous skin and hair textures aged like a dead carcass in summer, which makes the Shepard creation a tad difficult.

Yoshi in Snash Bros Melee. Just what were they thinking? I'm also not a fan of the Yoshi model from Yoshi's New Island on 3DS, which reminds me of the horrible Melee one.

I must prefer the Yoshi's Story/Woolly World model.

Yudoken

Street Fighter V thread.

Obvious Hair/model clipping with almost all characters

Ken's face and low quality banana hair

Top Bottom