• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Character models that bug you

Caronte

hope_xiii_2_screens_2_by_xiiihopexiii-d4j6prd.png

Hope - Final Fantasy XIII-2

Because, as we all know, growing up makes your nose smaller. I find that model completely disgusting, to be honest.

And, of course, everyone in the HD versions of Final Fantasy X. Every single one of them.

retroman

Now that I've browsed through this thread, I can't imagine witnessing an uglier character than that Attikus fellow from Battleborn.

I suppose Netherealm's female character models are low hanging fruit here.

Hey remember Camelot's Mario sport titles on the N64? yeah those classic Golf and Tennis titles, now I know age is going to hit N64 visuals a fair amount but even at the time Camelot's character models were particularly dubious and none more so than Bowser...
Crumbs....

Clearly got nothing on Hudson's sexy posing Bowser from the Mario Party series

Samus' Metroid Prime 2 model will haunt me forever.
mp2_ending2.jpg

And while not quite as bad, Ganondorf in Melee was kind of doughy and off. His face in the current game is markedly worse than Brawl, as well...

MP2 Samus makes me want to stay under 75% item collection of else I'll ruin the ending.
And if we're going to bring up the Dorf in Smash, 3DS Ganondorf looked like such a dope.

There is something about Laura's model in Street Fighter V that just... bothers me, and I think its most prominent in the select screen.

It really feels like there is something wrong with that abdomen, even beyond the lack of muscle definition for someone otherwise depicted as a lean martial artist.

Majority of the females cammy ibuki are ugly as hell in sf5. Ken is also terrible, claw too but he has a mask to hide that face.

laxu

Dark Souls female model, like she is a doll or something with that pose.

latest

Thank god BB models are less spread in their limbs

Even the ones in DS3 look pretty bad without armor. It also seems impossible to make an overweight character in Souls games. But add some armor and most of the characters look good but combining "fat" armor like the Smough or Catarina with skinny leg or arm armor looks really weird.

Armigr

bT6g9m1.jpg

Terra from Kingdom Hearts always looked really off to me. In the concept art he's usually depicted as square-jawed, but in the game he has this weird butterface. The effect is only exacerbated by the soft shading KH games employ. His face just looks so round and completely lacks features, it's weird. I really dislike his hair too, but that's a character design issue.

His model in Kingdom Hearts 0.2 isn't looking much better, unfortuntely.

The Tidus and Yuna models in the FFX remaster still break my heart. Yuna's face used to be capable of all these wonderful expressions outside of dead-eyed and subdued.

The Xenosaga/Xenoblade Chronicles X are still hella creepy. Xenoblade Chronicles' design and models were a nice, generally appealing compromise.

Manu

Aya Brea during cutscenes in Parasite Eve 2.

pe2_23asdgas.jpg

Aya Brea during gameplay.

parasite-eve-2-usa-screenshot-1.jpg

The terrible helmet hair (which is a totally different color as her artwork and render) always bothered me. She doesn't even look like the same person.

ramyeon

I find most characters in Overwatch unappealing. There is something very wrong about them. Every time I walk past a game store I am like "maybe I should buy that Overwatch." but then I see that Tracer cover and I just turn 360° and moonwalk out of there.
What am I reading?!

Steejee

Samus' Metroid Prime 2 model will haunt me forever.
mp2_ending2.jpg

Especially after seeing the awesome reveal in MP1...

Never did like the art direction they took Samus after MP1.

XCX was such a mixed bag of models. They did grow on me for the most part, and things like the Skells, design of the xeno models, and the scale of the world managed to override the character models, and I thought most of the main character models were fine. The generic human NPC models, on the other hand...

Going pre-3D, back to SNES, the Gestahl sprite for FFVI always bugged me, took years before I realized he wasn't some dog creature, I always saw that thing on Shadow's head as where his eyes were rather than some sort of head band, and in Link to the Past, I was guilty of seeing Agahnim completely wrong for years and years. Those all bugged me for the reason that I could never reconcile what I knew they should look like with the sprite I was seeing.

laxu

Yeah, NetherRealm studios has very talented concept artists but the 3D modeling work is always really off, IMO. I've seen concept art that I've really liked from MK9, Injustice, and MKX that feels far more pleasing aesthetically to me than in-game character models. Injustice in particular certainly stands out to me in this regard, but I do notice it in MK9 and MKX as well.

They can't model anything but square shoulders for some reason. Or maybe their model rigging department is just plain crap.

Batman games actually have the same issue where most males are Gears of War style refrigerators.

D.Va

Neo Member
Bravely Default. /shudders

The character models in Mirror's Edge Catalyst are kinda ugly too. Or at least Faith anyway.

Tyaren

I find most characters in Overwatch unappealing. There is something very wrong about them. Every time I walk past a game store I am like "maybe I should buy that Overwatch." but then I see that Tracer cover and I just turn 360° and moonwalk out of there.

GIF-Britney-Spears-confused-doubtful-furrowed-brow-huh-say-what-skeptical-unsure-WTF-GIF.gif

xion4360

I hate cardboard hair on characters, when it's just there all pasty looking with no animation. Its so easy to give it a little life! If Kingdom Hearts BBS on PSP can do it, then there is no excuse.

Tyaren

an opinion regarding the topic of "Character models that bug you". Overwatch characters bug me, so I said Overwatch. I think I made that pretty clear in my original post.

It's just that Overwatch has probably some of the most commercial, mainstreamy game character design out there right now. It's Disney/Pixar level appealing to everyone and their grandma and it was especially designed that way. That's why the characters have such a huge fan following, even by people who don't even play the game. It's literally the first time I heard someone say that there is something wrong about them.

Elman

xenosaga2.jpg

Monolith Software needed new character modelers since day one. It's a shame, because this is still my favorite design for Shion.

Also, you will never unsee The Bulge:

latest

First thing that came to my mind is the ugly models of the second Xenosaga!
I really feel that this is what caused the downfall of this series ):

xenosaga_2_015.jpg
that and the fact that the game played terribly. I really liked the 3D Anime look of episode 1, the drastic redesign the second game received was completely unnecessary. The third game doesnt look bad, but it still doesnt look like the same series as the first

DarkKyo

As cool as Starkiller/Force Unleashed was, his model in the first game is hot garbage.
PWTcMok.png

Still manages to look ten times worse when animated/talking.

Rambler

There are too many examples to list but nothing takes me out of a game faster than ugly jittery Unreal Engine 3 people.

mcz117chief

It's just that Overwatch has probably some of the most commercial, mainstreamy game character design out there right now. It's Disney/Pixar level appealing to everyone and their grandma and it was especially designed that way. That's why the characters have such a huge fan following, even by people who don't even play the game. It's literally the first time I heard someone say that there is something wrong about them.

I really don't see it that way at all, they all look souless and made of rubber or something. Like, I can't find a single character in that game that isn't wrong, everybody has this zombie feel to them.

Syril

468px-FF9_cast.png

Can't understand the art style for this game. Turned me off from playing entirely.

Most of the renders are good renditions of the character artwork, but Zidane, Dagger, and Eiko's faces were changed to look more realistic for some reason, and to me it looks weird and creepy.

Top Bottom