• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Character models that bug you

Drake's eyes in Uncharted 3 always bugged me. He's got extremely pinched, almost non-existent tear ducts. It's such a minor thing, but given how much of an emphasis the Uncharted games place on their characters, cutscenes, and animation, it was always front and center and mildly distracting.

5RkMUkz.jpg

It's particularly evident in the promotional render.

This impostor they got to play Sully in Uncharted 4:
Yeah, that happened with Drake to a certain extent as well. It was much more obvious in the initial teaser renders, but comparing U4 Drake to U1-3 Drake looks like an attractive model cosplaying as the character. A lot of the core bone structure in his face got reworked beyond what would account for simply adding more detail due to better rendering horsepower.

SOLDIER

I don't know how Capcom messed up Ken's face so badly, when Chun Li looks great, and massively stacked from SF4.

9aSYENe.jpg

Chun Li was always of the busty variety, but they really went overboard with her chest size in SFV.

Consequently, SFV also has the best Cammy model ever, with increased muscle definition and finally realizing her chest should not be as large as Chun's given the difference in stature.

butalala

There's something off about Link's face in SSB4 Wii U, but I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe his hair is too big and his neck is too short? Either way, it's a real shame, as Link is better than he's been in a while.

The dwarves in Dragon Age Origin had some really odd proportions, lucky some modders sorted it out.

Oh my god, how did I make it through 30 hours of this game without realizing how messed up those arms are. Maybe it's not as bad on the male dwarves?

Miranda in Mass Effect 2 & 3. They messed something up when capturing Yvonne Strahovski's likeness.

I had no idea that Miranda was based on a real person's appearance, so I was freaked out when I saw Yvonne Strahovski for the first time. From my point of view, they actually did a pretty good job.

sublimit

Banned
I began writing this post and then i realized i have far too many character designs that i absolutely hate and then i stopped since i thought it would be pointless to list them all and it would take me far too long to explain the reasons why i hate them. :/

latest

Not only do I feel like her design feels very flat compared to all the other characters but something about her body size and head size don't match up at all to me. When taken seperately they look fine but together, something about her looks off. Like she's from a different game.

It's especially weird when you see her awkwardly running around

that might be because she is based on someone from blizzard

tumblr_inline_nkvebxT3VI1sqom29.jpg

RoadDogg

This fucker from Jedi Academy always felt so out of place in a Star Wars game to me.

Just nothing about it him seems like a Star Wars character. At first I thought he and Eric Sparrow were the same model and he became some new default "douche bag" model for games. I guess just playing them so close together and them being similar characters plot wise made me think that.
491038-tony-hawk-s-underground-windows-screenshot-eric-sparrow-makes.jpg

DrArchon

hands and feet in SF4 and 5 are the worst, well feet in fire emblem awakening are worse I guess

The big gorilla hands in SF4 were the worst, but I was able to look past them because SF had been gone for so long and overall the 3D models looked better than any other 3D SF models there had been.

I can't look past them in SFV though. It's fucking 2016 Capcom. Jesus.

Still better than 90% of the models made by Netherrealm. The stuff in Injustice 1 was embarrassing, and nothing I've seen from Injustice 2 makes me think that overall they're going to be any different.

pantsmith

Vann, from Final Fantasy XII

Hes actually a pretty okay design! Its just his lack of shirt that bothers me. Like, really bothers me. I would pay like 10 dollars for a dlc that gives his model a shirt.

I can't stand Sonic in Smash 4. Most cite Link or Ganondorf, but at least they actually emote. Sonic just alternates between "derp texture smile" or "derp ouch"

rashbeep

Banned
Drake's eyes in Uncharted 3 always bugged me. He's got extremely pinched, almost non-existent tear ducts. It's such a minor thing, but given how much of an emphasis the Uncharted games place on their characters, cutscenes, and animation, it was always front and center and mildly distracting.

Yeah, that happened with Drake to a certain extent as well. It was much more obvious in the initial teaser renders, but comparing U4 Drake to U1-3 Drake looks like an attractive model cosplaying as the character. A lot of the core bone structure in his face got reworked beyond what would account for simply adding more detail due to better rendering horsepower.

Drake looks much better now, he lost a lot of that cartoony look that he had in the older games.

These two looked weird as fuck in AC2

I have plenty of pet peeves about the character models in World of Warcraft. Both the old ones and the revamped ones. Female blood elves for example are so ghastly thin that it really put me off from playing one. Male dwarves had this really terrible clipping issue with capes which would make almost half of the entire cape disappear during certain combat animations.

And with the model revamps, they did something to the male draenei idle stance to make them look more hunched over which really bothers me.

Old model - New model

K0UrJzW.jpg
QxGMSKZ.jpg

Man, speaking of WoW, I can't stand the Human model, new or old:

8g3tQZA.jpg

Also I HATE the Undead's little Beavis and Butthead shorts:

OlSrpYt.jpg

Kimaka

The female character model in Digimon Cyber Sleuth. It looks like she is constantly arcing her back to jut out her breasts. Stand properly ffs

gVZw4VV.jpg

Kid Heart

So we're six pages into this thread and no one mentions Sonic 06? I mean, I feel like you could write a novel based on how awful the human characters looked. That's not even mentioning how off Sonic and his pals were as well.

Some early 360 jrpgs come to mind, specially the one with ladies in dress:

eternalsonata_1.jpg

It's stupid that they made the characters constantly with the arms suspended so it won't clip the dress.

Slaythe

It's because Uncharted 1-3 looked like utter shit, from a "realistic" standpoint, while U4 gave the faces real anatomy.

So obviously they look like real humans now, and that's why they look so much different. (and much better too)

I made a Mass Effect 1 character that looked like me and really liked how it turned out. He imported into ME2 just fine but for some reason ME3 made it look like he'd been through a botched plastic surgery. I tried to tweak it but something about the new face creator just couldn't replicate the original no matter how hard I tried. It was a bummer for the first few hours, then I just kinda got used to it. It really was a shame because he just didn't feel like the same guy who'd experienced all of the events from 1 and 2.

Sully in UC4 bothers me while the other characters don't, but hopefully will grow on me

Also

Game from 2003

151233-Silent_Hill_3_(USA)-1.jpg

vincent.jpg

Game from same series in like 2008

SilentHillHomecoming.jpg

latest

Mike M

Nick N
18280019534_ba4ac90e1a_b.jpg

Zelda character designs have been almost intolerable to me since OoT. Granted on the N64 some of their hideous human models could be attributed to the limitations of the system, but then they went and apparently decided that the "style" of 3D Zeldas was to populate them with horribly proportioned, occasionally repulsive, alcoholic subhumans.

character_collage___wind_waker_by_indiliel-d4srs3c.jpg

Twilight Princess tried to right the ship somewhat, but you still had someone sign off on these design, among others.

the-legend-of-zelda-twilight-princess-20050722111237006_640w.jpg

00490.jpg

Then Skyward Sword backslid from what modicum of normalcy we got with TP.

i_31014.jpg

I fucking hate Zelda NPCs from the past 15 years.

A-V-B

Sully in UC4 bothers me while the other characters don't, but hopefully will grow on me

Also

Game from 2003

151233-Silent_Hill_3_(USA)-1.jpg

vincent.jpg

It's still absurd how good SH3's characters look. It's literally insane. Every single realistic video game's characters have aged (badly) except for Silent Hill 3's and I don't know how they fucking did it.

So it's pretty clear in this thread that people don't seem to make a distinction between character design and character models.

Lol, hers are probably 3 times the amount of Nina's. ;)

On a serious note, DOA5's characters, especially the girls, already ranged from about 40k to 90k polygons...

27703636594_fa4446a9c5_o.png

...when TTT2 and Soul Calibur 5's models were only made up of about 20k. If I would guess, the Tekken 7 models maybe double that, so 40k-50k? Most detail seems to be in flowing cloth, for better movement and animation, the actual bodies seem not so much improved over last gen though.

Why do they model nipples? Isn't that just a lot of work something that nobody ever sees?

Alias03

Main character of Ni No kuni 2. Suppose to be a young boy but looks like a little girl to me. For the record I don't care what sex the main character is, I just wish the character model reflected it better.

Opa-Pa

I still remember when I first played Xenoblade Chronicles and thought "man, those environments are unreal... No wonder they had to spend less resources im character models". Then years after X happened and realized that no, that was not it.

Monolith seems to help around a lot at Nintendo, I wish they could borrow better artists from NCL when modeling characters for their new game lmao.

And I'm on mobile but there's nothing as immersion-breaking as seeing your first NPC in a cutscene in FFX.

Also I hate how everyone from the main cast in Mighty No. 9 has a decent model but BECK of all characters goes around looking like that.

Why do they model nipples? Isn't that just a lot of work something that nobody ever sees?
Probably the same reason the first pads of a lot of drawings are of the nude frame of a character. Accuracy. You don't see them in the final product but that doesn't mean it's not important for the artists to know where the nipples would be.

Top Bottom