• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Character models that bug you

Tekken 7 models in general. I often see people claiming Tekken 7 would look so great, when it actually does look pretty disappointing. Especially the character models. They are pretty low polygon:

15990398925_3b419eda1e_b.jpg

Just look at the blocky shoulders...

lucky-chloe-tekken7-screenshot.jpg

Here I can literally count the polygons on Chloe's paw and hair. Also why is her fur jacket just made of a flat texture, as are the buttons on the paws? This generation there should be a little more possible.

Also, what is up with the hair of the characters. The alphamaps are really undetailed and of low resolution, almost like bitmaps:

Tekken-7-Nina.jpg

Again, I can count the polygons by the edges of Nina's boobs. ;)
The models in Tekken 7 look better than any 3D fighter currently other than Guilty Gear.(which has a substantially lower poly count, yet looks better)
Personally at this point poly count doesn't mean much.

D1AMONDDOGS

Neo Member
Surprised it took so long for someone to mention Injustice. Honestly kinda hate every character design Netherrealm has put out.

(Aside from Injustice 2 Atrocitus. He looks dope.)

It's the models. The models for everything KH3 related has been really shitty and somehow a huge step down from the PS2 models.
Obviously they're all WIP character models. Show me a single game shown a year and a half or more in advance with 100% unchanged character geometry and I've got a bridge to sell you. Nothing to get worked up about.

Tyaren

The models in Tekken 7 look better than any 3D fighter currently other than Guilty Gear.

Have you seen DOA5 character models since the vanilla version on last generation consoles?

This are all Xbox360 shots:

leifang_closeup_by_doafanboi-d5zq77c.jpg

hayate_portrait_by_doafanboi-d6mslcj.jpg

mila_portrait_by_doafanboi-d6oq8dp.jpg

succubus_helena_by_doafanboi-d6qvmii.jpg

christie_on_zack_island_by_doafanboi-d73hq47.jpg

These models, even in low resolution and without antialiasing beat Tekken 7's any day of the week.

majik13

The massive amounts of clipping on the models in the SFV character select screen. Hair, clothes and accessories clipping like mad is acceptable during the match since everything's so dynamic, but the poses and animation on the character select screen are not only canned, but also completely right in your face. No one thought to clean those up?

Exactly. This really bugs me. You see it everywhere.

carda114

Vaan's weird abs in FFXII. Are they even gonna fix those with the HD release? Footage out suggests no, but I hope I'm wrong.

Part of the issue with Herc is that his head was too big before, then they made his head too small.

Even though old Herc's head might've been too big, it still was a far superior model in just about every regard. It had a lot more personality and charm to it, and wasn't just "generic buff warrior dude with Roman theme" like the new model is. Or, well, I mean, it was generic buff warrior dude with Roman theme, but the good kind.
I seriously don't get why they changed it up.

retroman

I hated the look of the human characters in NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams. They went with a semi-realistic style that looked very jarring next to the cartoony look of the other characters.

latest

hqdefault.jpg

Tyaren

How many polygons are those?

Lol, hers are probably 3 times the amount of Nina's. ;)

On a serious note, DOA5's characters, especially the girls, already ranged from about 40k to 90k polygons...

27703636594_fa4446a9c5_o.png

...when TTT2 and Soul Calibur 5's models were only made up of about 20k. If I would guess, the Tekken 7 models maybe double that, so 40k-50k? Most detail seems to be in flowing cloth, for better movement and animation, the actual bodies seem not so much improved over last gen though.

balohna

The Arkham series didn't have visually appealing character models until Knight. Mix of art and tech, tech caught up to what they were trying to pull off and the aesthetic was toned down.

I'm also still bothered by armour and other stuff that's rigid IRL bending with characters in games. Like, I know it's hard but I want to see metal act like metal.

Golnei

Samus' Metroid Prime 2 model will haunt me forever.
mp2_ending2.jpg

And while not quite as bad, Ganondorf in Melee was kind of doughy and off. His face in the current game is markedly worse than Brawl, as well...

SFV Ken. What happened to you man?
This mod isn't perfect, but it mitigates most of the damage. Looking a little plastic is an improvement over what's in the actual game.
tumblr_o9a9xmF6vx1usrgjso3_540.gif

Surprised to not see Injustice on here yet
hqdefault.jpg

Yeah, NetherRealm studios has very talented concept artists but the 3D modeling work is always really off, IMO. I've seen concept art that I've really liked from MK9, Injustice, and MKX that feels far more pleasing aesthetically to me than in-game character models. Injustice in particular certainly stands out to me in this regard, but I do notice it in MK9 and MKX as well.

The models in Tekken 7 look better than any 3D fighter currently other than Guilty Gear.(which has a substantially lower poly count, yet looks better)
Personally at this point poly count doesn't mean much.

Ignoring the differences in lighting and shaders, a decent poly count is the difference between this

and

this

Hell, go back 15-16 years

Still waiting for this.

Close-ups always break the illusion. Tyaren isn't wrong about the poly counts in Tekken 7 being low, honestly. The overall package makes up for it though.

bman94

latest

Not only do I feel like her design feels very flat compared to all the other characters but something about her body size and head size don't match up at all to me. When taken seperately they look fine but together, something about her looks off. Like she's from a different game.

It's especially weird when you see her awkwardly running around

It's like a plus sized girl without a plus sized face.

The Arkham series didn't have visually appealing character models until Knight. Mix of art and tech, tech caught up to what they were trying to pull off and the aesthetic was toned down.

I'm also still bothered by armour and other stuff that's rigid IRL bending with characters in games. Like, I know it's hard but I want to see metal act like metal.

I don't know why, but every design of Batman and it's characters outside of the comics and animation look terrible to me. The live action Batman's always looked comical more than intimidating to me and the video game Batman's always looked stiff and devoid of emotion.

Monocle

Have you seen DOA5 character models since the vanilla version on last generation consoles?

This are all Xbox360 shots:

leifang_closeup_by_doafanboi-d5zq77c.jpg

hayate_portrait_by_doafanboi-d6mslcj.jpg

mila_portrait_by_doafanboi-d6oq8dp.jpg

succubus_helena_by_doafanboi-d6qvmii.jpg

christie_on_zack_island_by_doafanboi-d73hq47.jpg

These models, even in low resolution and without antialiasing beat Tekken 7's any day of the week.
DOA5's faces are literally the single best update the series has ever seen. So good.

maomaoIYP

500x_f6384406.jpg

Game is still phenomenal.

Very late to the party, but the character designer Mari Shimazaki did the design sketches similar to those used in fashion design, which use human sketches with 11 heads worth of height. This is done to showcase the clothes which are the focus. It's a stylistic choice and I love it.

Alienous

This impostor they got to play Sully in Uncharted 4:

WMsElli.jpg

I mean, you aren't going to confuse him when you hear Richard McGonagle's voice coming out of his mouth, but in terms of facial features that's a completely different person.

Yeah, he looked like Old Snake.

Monocle

Very late to the party, but the character designer Mari Shimazaki did the design sketches similar to those used in fashion design, which use human sketches with 11 heads worth of height. This is done to showcase the clothes which are the focus. It's a stylistic choice and I love it.
Yep, Bayonetta iconic and her proportions suit the themes that inform her design and personality—and the whole style of the game, really.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
This impostor they got to play Sully in Uncharted 4:

WMsElli.jpg

I mean, you aren't going to confuse him when you hear Richard McGonagle's voice coming out of his mouth, but in terms of facial features that's a completely different person.

Agreed, that was really jarring. It was like sully was having an allergic reaction and was all puffed up.

Moaradin

street fighter V, Ibuki. what did they do to her face?!

But she looks fine? I don't get it.

This mod isn't perfect, but it mitigates most of the damage. Looking a little plastic is an improvement over what's in the actual game.
tumblr_o9a9xmF6vx1usrgjso3_540.gif

And this shit looks way worse than what we got. The fact that so many people think this is a massive improvement makes me glad they aren't in charge of the character designs.

X2X0

First thing that came to my mind is the ugly models of the second Xenosaga!
I really feel that this is what caused the downfall of this series ):

xenosaga_2_015.jpg

mcz117chief

I find most characters in Overwatch unappealing. There is something very wrong about them. Every time I walk past a game store I am like "maybe I should buy that Overwatch." but then I see that Tracer cover and I just turn 360° and moonwalk out of there.

lazygecko

I have plenty of pet peeves about the character models in World of Warcraft. Both the old ones and the revamped ones. Female blood elves for example are so ghastly thin that it really put me off from playing one. Male dwarves had this really terrible clipping issue with capes which would make almost half of the entire cape disappear during certain combat animations.

And with the model revamps, they did something to the male draenei idle stance to make them look more hunched over which really bothers me.

Old model - New model

K0UrJzW.jpg
QxGMSKZ.jpg

7754.png

This... thing.. is not the Bandicoot I knew. Everything, from the straights and curves and proportions simply feel overly rounded and lifeless. Felt like I wanted Krusty the Clown and instead got:

large.jpg

retroman

Anybody remember FX Fighter?

I had a crummy PC at the time, so I had to turn all the textures off. It was for the best.

14726-fx-fighter-dos-screenshot-jake-is-happy-to-kick-venam.jpg

And this shit looks way worse than what we got. The fact that so many people think this is a massive improvement makes me glad they aren't in charge of the character designs.

You can blame Capcom for making him look like Cruise for so long. Then people will see some Cruise look-alike mods as a familiar face. Which it totally is.

Vex_

Banned
I'm so glad everyone is on the same page regarding Ken's face. I sure hope in the future CAPCOM takes this shit seriously. That boi ken is supposed to be a hotshot californian stud, not some weird HE MAN extra, not some iNCREDIBLES reject, and definitely not some ugly-banana-head-rape-faced man.

They fucked up on 2 games in a row now. DO BETTER.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I don't know how Capcom messed up Ken's face so badly, when Chun Li looks great, and massively improved from SF4.

Top Bottom