• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Charlie Hebdo cartoon on Italy earthquake sparks anger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Satirical French magazine Charlie Hebdo has been criticised on social media for a cartoon depicting Italian earthquake victims as pasta dishes.

The cartoon which features in its current issue refers to the town of Amatrice, one of the areas hardest hit by the 6.2 magnitude earthquake last week.

Amatrice is home of spaghetti all'amatriciana, a dish with ingredients including tomato sauce, and guanciale ham.

The image shows an injured man and a woman standing next to a pile of rubble from which feet can be seen. Each of the standing figures has been named after a pasta dish.

The bandaged man is shown under the words penne tomato sauce, a woman with burns is depicted as penne gratin, and bodies lying beneath layers of rubble as lasagne all beneath the heading "Earthquake Italian style".

More at: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-37260217

Satirize me if old

I never found any of their stuff actually funny. Is it meant to be?

This is what I wonder. Or are they being edgy af just because?

Edit: I can understand the point they make when they draw Mohammad, for instance, but for a lot of other things I just don't get it.

XAL

That's pretty fucking tasteless.

Why even make and publish that?

What is the purpose other than bad dark humor?

bidguy

Banned
those guys coming up with this are fucking assholes. bet they feel really funny when they brainstorm in their little offices while children are buried under rubble

Don't really get the point of this one, not only is it completely tasteless it's just a shit joke. There's no satire there, there's no point being made.

FDC1

Yeah, what's the intention behind this one? Like Italians care more for pasta than building earthquake proof houses? I'm grasping at straws here.

It's just dark humour, you find it funny or you don't. Not sure why you're trying to overanalize it guys.

spuckthew

Just a wild stab in the dark to try to give them the benefit of the doubt...

Given recent history, maybe they did this to show that they're not just hating on religion?

The view might change from "CH are xenophobes!" to "CH are just a bunch of fucking idiots with no taste."

I personally couldn't care less, but admittedly that's easy to say when you're not one being affected. I guess I just have no empathy.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
those guys coming up with this are fucking assholes. bet they feel really funny when they brainstorm in their little offices while children are buried under rubble
It's tasteless and pointless, sure, but it strikes me as equally pointless to get this outraged about it.

Given recent history, maybe they did this to show that they're not just hating on religion?

The view might change from "CH are xenophobes!" to "CH are just a bunch of fucking idiots with no taste."

I personally couldn't care less, but admittedly that's easy to say when you're not one being affected. I guess I just have no empathy.

I could sweat they already drew something involving a refugee child that made me think that.

Fiend

It's just dark humour, you find it funny or you don't. Not sure why you're trying to overanalize it guys.

In most of their comics they manage to convey an underlying meaning (success of this is debatable) but this one is quite lacking.

Jebusman

Banned
Aren't the covers typically tied to an article in the magazine?

I'm kind of curious as to what the article would be about.

It might provide even the tiniest modicum of context that this image really, really (REALLY) needs for it to not just look.... stupid.

Like I get Charlie Hebdo and I'll still defend their right to do dark shit (including this), but I'm just curious if they're actually trying to say something here, or just went the darkest humor route.

This is pretty standard for Charlie Hebdo, isn't it? They basically embody the "everything is okay to joke about, or nothing is" credo, not my thing but it's what they do. A lot of the Muslim-centric satire which lead to their being attacked was also largely pointless edginess, and equally unfunny.

spuckthew

I could swear they already drew something involving a refugee child that made me think that.

Isn't the whole refugee thing linked to the stuff going on in Syria/ the Middle East anyway? It still has that xenophobic angle even if it's not precisely the same as drawing Muhammed sucking a donkey cock.

But yeah, it seems like they're fishing for people to hate them.

Amalthea

Banned

Reducing Italians to their pasta can be seen as xenophobic too.

Imagine a carricature of an IS fighter with a cooking hat holding a plate with severed human legs on it. "Jambes de grenouille à la Isis"

Or drowned New Orleans people during Katharina, captioned as "Kate's Jambalaya".

What does that satirize? If only they attacked the inability of a countries government to rescue or prevent tragedies it would work as satire. But as it is it's just malevolent.

krang

I never found any of their stuff actually funny. Is it meant to be?

I thought this, too. I keep forgetting to ask a couple of French guys I occasionally work with, to see if CH is just universally unfunny or whether the humour is more French-centric.

eizarus

Banned
The Charlie Hebdo writers and cartoonists have always behaved like cunts. Nothing's changed,
Alfred

Before anyone has a go at me for that, I'm not attacking their right to say what they want, I'm insulting their tact (or lack thereof).

womfalcs3

Banned
But remember... It's their right to be offensive. I don't remember people being this offended when Islam and Mohammed were being attacked.

UrbanRats

If they were going for edgy/offensive satire, they should've made "fun" of those who claimed (some) buildings had been restructured to be safe against seismic activity, but came down anyway, because
corruption
A public school included.

There are political angles you can take.
Incidentally, this joke seems a little safe.

FDC1

I thought this, too. I keep forgetting to ask a couple of French guys I occasionally work with, to see if CH is just universally unfunny or whether the humour is more French-centric.

There is definitively a tradition of "humour noir" (dark humour) in France but it's relatively niche, it's not for the largest audience.

I am not Charlie.

This was repeated ad nauseam on TV yesterday. Expecially on Berlusconi's channels - the populist right at its finest.

At least, they put another cartoon on their site saying that was the mafia's fault that the houses were built badly - the most near thing to an apology they had made.

But... it's Charlie Hebdo, what were you all expecting? Being sons of bitches spitting really dark jokes on tragedies it's what they are.

This is pretty standard for Charlie Hebdo, isn't it? They basically embody the "everything is okay to joke about, or nothing is" credo, not my thing but it's what they do. A lot of the Muslim-centric satire which lead to their being attacked was also largely pointless edginess, and equally unfunny.

FDC1

But remember... It's their right to be offensive. I don't remember people being this offended when Islam and Mohammed were being attacked.

It's just plain false, you would find a topic on GAF about Charlie each time they did a cover about Islam/muslims. And I'd bet this topic will finish with a lot less pages than those.

sirap

Preach.

Loving the responses in this thread. Can't have it both ways folks, everything's fair game for CH!

Amalthea

Banned
Nah, just read some of Franquins Idées noires or Voltaire (who sadly was misused for Je suis Charlie) for "good" mean French satire.

Memory

Or at any of the countless racist depictions of Africans and African-Americans and other ethnic groups.

G.ZZZ

Aren't the covers typically tied to an article in the magazine?

I'm kind of curious as to what the article would be about.

It might provide even the tiniest modicum of context that this image really, really (REALLY) needs for it to not just look.... stupid.

Like I get Charlie Hebdo and I'll still defend their right to do dark shit (including this), but I'm just curious if they're actually trying to say something here, or just went the darkest humor route.

It's related to the fact that many of the buildings that collapsed were certified to be "earthquake proof" with quite expensive restructuring jobs paid from the state. Turned out those were all fake, in classic italian fashion, and were fake jobs just there to steal some money from the state.

Basically, italians are shit and don't care about anything except their own money and will steal at every opportunity , even if this mean to kill hundred of people because their buildings are supposedly "earthquake proof".

Germany plz buy us already. I hate my fellows countrymen with every fibre of my being.

ITT: people who don't know shit but like to be outraged because reasons. Many of my countrymen are the same. Too sensible when criticized, never willing to actually do something about problems. We deserve nothing.

Did they satirise the aftermath of the shooting at their office? Genuine question.

si5sxrfm.jpg

They drew Muhammad (which in itself is forbidden in Islam) holding a Je Suis Charlie sign and crying. Title says "All is forgiven".

Angel_DvA

That's not the same thing, being satirical and hateful are two different things...

It's related to the fact that many of the buildings that collapsed were certified to be "earthquake proof" with quite expensive restructuring jobs paid from the state. Turned out those were all fake, in classic italian fashion, and were fake jobs just there to steal some money from the state.

Basically, italians are shit and don't care about anything except their own money and will steal at every opportunity , even if this mean to kill hundred of people because their buildings are supposedly "earthquake proof".

Germany plz buy us already. I hate my fellows countrymen with every fibre of my being.

we know the mafia kept all the money but if they wanted to be satirical about it, they should have drawn a mafia dude with all the money in this pocket or else, they failed to deliver the message here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom