• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Charlottesville alt-right white nationalist torch rally

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I am aware. I lived with a German exchange student for several months and learned all about this.

As I said, things which advocate violence, and the like, should be censored. And Nazi shit, outside of a historical context (like being displayed in museums), is obviously hateful.

These conversations always becomes so binary.
So you're aware but use it as an example of how folks can rise against while explicitly stating their method for raising against is wrong

You can't say look at Germany and then say but we should let the Nazis be Nazis in public

Ms.Galaxy

I mentioned that the right considers righteous groups hateful. Part of my argument. And people appointed by some new administration are not the totality of government. The FBI will still squash and/or render hate groups immobile despite who is president. They're an organization of individuals. It seems like the executive branch is fighting Trump and Bannon, for example.

May I remind you who the U.S. Attorney General, the head of the United States Department of Justice who controls the FBI, is?

1200px-Jeff_Sessions%2C_official_portrait.jpg

Jeff "Too Racist for Ronald Reagan" Sessions.

IrishNinja

I mentioned that the right considers righteous groups hateful. Part of my argument. And people appointed by some new administration are not the totality of government. The FBI will still squash and/or render hate groups immobile despite who is president. They're an organization of individuals. It seems like the executive branch is fighting Trump and Bannon, for example.

no, it absolutely isn't. the DOJ, as we speak, is working to reenact minimum sentencing, ignoring state legislature on medical marijuana, rebuffing racist polices like stop & frisk and riding hard for private prisons.

your posts are the height of white privilege. you can literally only believe nonsense like that from such a place of ignorance on how things are actually working on the ground level - assuming the "good guys" (if your narrative paints the FBI in such a manner universally) are winning, do yourself a favor & read up on what conditions were like by those directly affected by hate efforts before this administration came into power, and then extrapolate.

HylianTom

Banned
It's almost like these guys are afraid of becoming a minority here in the United States.

Why would they ever be fearful of that? It isn't like we treat minorities poorly here, is it?
/s

Apt101

no, it absolutely isn't. the DOJ, as we speak, is working to reenact minimum sentencing, ignoring state legislature on medical marijuana, rebuffing racist polices like stop & frisk and riding hard for private prisons.

your posts are the height of white privilege. you can literally only believe nonsense like that from such a place of ignorance on how things are actually working on the ground level - assuming the "good guys" (if your narrative paints the FBI in such a manner universally) are winning, do yourself a favor & read up on what conditions were like by those directly affected by hate efforts before this administration came into power, and then extrapolate.

I'm not even completely white. I get what you're saying, but please don't confuse me with those assholes marching with tiki torches.

Edit: I am half white and Asian. So my experience is not forged from any kind of white privilege. I had to actually work harder than most to even get into college, let alone work through discrimination in the tech sector.

pigeon

Banned
Read my previous posts. Trump and the villains he employs can make all the bold declarations and orders they want. It's not like the country is going to suddenly lose its minds and allow genocide or even vast human rights abuses.

I mean, they're allowing a white supremacist rally right now, and you're nodding your head because it's no big deal.

It's very easy to justify the bad things going on by saying that if they got any worse people would definitely do something about it. And it's very easy to just keep saying that while things get worse.

IrishNinja

I'm not even completely white. I get what you're saying, but please don't confuse me with those assholes marching with tiki torches.

i'm not; i think that's, academically speaking, an important distinction
but if you're really assuming the good guys are on the side of anti-racism, you might want to read up a bit

Edit: I am half white and Asian. So my experience is not forged from any kind of white privilege. I had to actually work harder than most to even get into college, let alone work through discrimination in the tech sector.

i appreciate that, and didn't mean to demean your experience - just that your view on what's being done to combat racism on a federal level - especially in this hateful era - is naive at best.

When Trump was elected, a lot of minorities were worried that this might enable white supremacists. And we got people saying that's there's nothing to worry about.

Now that it's patently obvious that the worries and concerns of minorities turned out to be well founded. The white supremacists have been enabled, empowered, and energised. And now we've still got people saying there's nothing to worry about after seeing white supremacists freely shouting the N-word and doing Nazi salutes on the streets. When are we allowed to do something about it, then? Do we really have to wait until bloodshed before we say they've crossed the line?

This hateful ideology should be nipped in the bud. This kind of extremism can be as dangerous Islamic extremism. The double standards is astonishing sometimes.

Apt101

i'm not; i think that's, academically speaking, an important distinction
but if you're really assuming the good guys are on the side of anti-racism, you might want to read up a bit

Cmon, I'm not suggesting anti-racists are good guys. I've advocated the exact opposite.

This is why it's difficult to engage my fellow liberals on this topic. I think that a bastion of liberalism, free speech, is something that should be protected, and suddenly I empathize with racists. Or at best, I don't realize they're racist, despite me mentioning many times that I acknowledge they're racist.

It's literally illegal to sing the first verse of the national anthem in Germany because the Nazis used it.

You could not have picked a better example of how wrong you are.

It isn't.

Is Germany and claiming wrong things about its hate speech laws a meme on GAF?

Yo, where all my centrists, moderates, and libertarians at? Sure would be a great time to tell us that we shouldn't give these guys the time of day and we should focus on the real enemy, Antifa. /s

Seriously though, the tiki torches and polo/khaki combo is really striking fear in my heart. Haven't been this spooked by nazis since I saw Indiana Jones and The Covenant of the Ark.

Ms.Galaxy

Cmon, I'm not suggesting anti-racists are good guys. I've advocated the exact opposite.

This is why it's difficult to engage my fellow liberals on this topic. I think that a bastion of liberalism, free speech, is something that should be protected, and suddenly I empathize with racists. Or at best, I don't realize they're racist, despite me mentioning many times that I acknowledge they're racist.

JFz2GdK.png

And this is why I don't believe in absolute freedom of speech. There are somethings that we should never, ever, allow to be propagated and flourish. Fascism and Nazism is one of those things, they are proven dangerous genocidal ideologies that has done nothing but harm civilization and humanity. We all said never again and here we are doing this shit again. The alt-right is not something we should ignore and pretend they are small time, more so now when white supremacists and fascists are in the white house.

Again, how far are you willing to go to protect the right to free speech? There are limits to everything.

Surely, you're not going to disagree that this kind of speech creates a hotbed for hatred towards minorities. And hatred, in turn, results in violence. You can't disagree with this.

JFz2GdK.png

And this is why I don't believe in absolute freedom of speech.

If the dignity of individuals isn't protected by the constitution then those things will get exploted by the radicals.

Bonus points if companies like Facebook can detect and delete pictures featuring nipples instantly but are somehow unable to do the same with house rules breaking hate speech.

mjp2417

Banned

The problem is that classical liberalism has always struggled with racism, particularly when said racism has been empowered (and empowered racism's teleology is either slavery or genocide). It's kind of a big socio-historical problem. No one is calling you a racist or implying that you aren't liberal (at least I don't believe you are; I have no reason to believe you aren't a decent person). It's just that classical liberalism has no way to effectively deal with a genocidal ideology (as Germany once learned). Appealing to liberal tolerance when confronting nazis is like trying to sweet talk a crocodile. That shit don't work. Eventually they're going to eat you.

NoName999

Fine I'll risk it just to get it through your head:

Be quiet!

Just.... be quiet.

How are you too oblivious to the fact that NAZISM, unlike many other ideologies, actively WANTS to eradicate any "undesirables"? The country doesn't have absolute free speech. Especially against threats. And Nazism is pretty much a threat to anyone who isn't straight, Christian, and white.

Like come the fuck on, dude. If your BIGGEST takeaway from a modern day Nazi gathering is "Think of fwee peech." don't get pissy when people say you're sympathizing with racists.

DavidDesu

Germany has banned any signs of Nazism being shown, such as (even jokingly) doing a Nazi salute. I think the world needs to copy that.

Fuck free speech. Most claiming free speech would likely assume that wouldn't apply to ISIS recruiters openly preaching on US streets, so neither should Nazism, a scourge far worse than anything ISIS has done.

God, I feel sick. I can't take all the disappointment and fury I feel for my nation and human nature lately. Very hard to believe that hate like this will actually lose. :(

Shauni

what I am interested in, has it become better or worse since the 60s, or has it gotten better and worse again

Always there, but it surfaces like this in waves. Whenever there is social progress of a major kind, we have always suffered a massive backlash. We've had major social progress in the last decade between a black President and gay/trans rights, so unfortunately, it's par the course. Post-Civil Rights Act, the Klan was very active and public when they had dropped off the radar for the decades before

Basement nazis discussing their imaging and marketing is weird as hell

This is why I don't mind the ACLU allowing these fuckheads to show themselves. They're going to organize and recruit anyway, but covertly. Last night it was undeniably neo-Nazism on display.

slider

It's one of the places I'd see on the map shown on flights to, from and within the Americas.

Having gone out with a three(!) girls called Charlotte I always thought "huh, I bet that's a nice place".

Shauni

It's one of the places I'd see on the map shown on flights to, from and within the Americas.

Having gone out with a three(!) girls called Charlotte I always thought "huh, I bet that's a nice place".

By most accounts it mostly is. The city was going to rebuke their permit to March, but the ACLU stepped in to do so. The whole thing was triggered by the city deciding to take down a Confederate monument.

if you ignore them they just continue to work and build.
No. The point of public rallies is having a bunch of pissed people confront your group and of course some are expecting to fight people who disagree. That is their goal and that's what they want and expect. It makes them feel like they matter and what theyre doing is working. The same as when when a terrorist attack shocks the nation and there is extensive media coverage, the group responsible is pleased. They gain power by drawing attention and controversy.

There was a similar rally not too long ago. Being outnumbered by counter protestors isn't discouraging.

slider

By most accounts it mostly is. The city was going to rebuke their permit to March, but the ACLU stepped in to do so. The whole thing was triggered by the city deciding to take down a Confederate monument.

Ahh, thanks. Useful context. I shouldn't be so lazy.

Charlottes, you're back on the birthday card list.

Edit: GiantBombGamer, yep I know. The fact that Charlotte is in the name Charlottesville was enough for me. I'm gonna leave, my pointless posts aren't adding anything.

Charlotte and Charlottesville are different places, in different states.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom