• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Charlottesville alt-right white nationalist torch rally

Status
Not open for further replies.
Basement nazis discussing their imaging and marketing is weird as hell

(not my pics)

Image-421038.jpg
Image-85514.jpg

I assume WN means white nationalists?

So he's saying " the white nationalists can't be the nazis?"

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
My hometown. Ah, what a wonderful place... /s

Some people there suck, as can be seen, but rest assured that they're not all like that.

Although I do remember a lot of assholes there, even though I only lived there as a kid.

hoos30

It's time to retire the "alt-right" moniker and call them what they are: Nazi White Supremacists.

Trump's base in action.

SaviourMK2

Can I say, and I in NO way am defending this dumpster fire (White trash and fire, what else would you call it?), that this doesn't look nearly as bad as it sounds?
Don't get me wrong, it's horrible this kind of ideology has been snuffed in past wars (Civil War and WW2) and they keep thinking they're right, but when you really look at it, the group is still smaller than a high school assembly meeting.
It's sad evil lurks, but the size of the crowd still puts me mildly at ease, it could be much bigger and far worse.

Why are we calling it alt-right anyway? They never stopped being Neo-Nazis. I guess Neo-Neo-Nazis would sound dumb.

My hometown. Ah, what a wonderful place... /s

Some people there suck, as can be seen, but rest assured that they're not all like that.

Although I do remember a lot of assholes there, even though I only lived there as a kid.
I live here now. The city has become much more liberal in the past decade. The problem is the surrounding areas are super conservative.

The Kree

Banned
Can I say, and I in NO way am defending this dumpster fire (White trash and fire, what else would you call it?), that this doesn't look nearly as bad as it sounds?
Don't get me wrong, it's horrible this kind of ideology has been snuffed in past wars (Civil War and WW2) and they keep thinking they're right, but when you really look at it, the group is still smaller than a high school assembly meeting.
It's sad evil lurks, but the size of the crowd still puts me mildly at ease, it could be much bigger and far worse.

Why are we calling it alt-right anyway? They never stopped being Neo-Nazis. I guess Neo-Neo-Nazis would sound dumb.

Did it look bad when these same people were filling auditoriums to listen to President Fuckface stumble through the English language while shitting on everyone who was not a white man? If it looked bad then, it looks worse now.

mjp2417

Banned
No. The point of public rallies is having a bunch of pissed people confront them is their goal and that's what they want and expect. It makes them feel like they matter and what theyre doing is working. The same as when when a terrorist attack shocks the nation and there is extensive media coverage, the group behind it is pleased. They gain power by drawing attention and controversy.

giphy.gif

SaviourMK2

Did it look bad when these same people were filling auditoriums to listen to President Fuckface stumble through the English language while shitting on everyone who was not a white man? If it looked bad then, it looks worse now.

I try not to think all of them are neo-nazis, I try and remember that some of them are just gullible idiots who voted for him because they loved his "reality tv show"

Boke1879

I don't think he agrees with them.

But he's saying you can be a White Nationalist if you don't do the Hitler Salute, say the N word etc.

Basically there are a lot of people that think racism is only saying the N word, waving the Nazi flag etc.

Hazanko

Banned
Germany has banned any signs of Nazism being shown, such as (even jokingly) doing a Nazi salute. I think the world needs to copy that.

Fuck free speech. Most claiming free speech would likely assume that wouldn't apply to ISIS recruiters openly preaching on US streets, so neither should Nazism, a scourge far worse than anything ISIS has done.

Well here in the UK it would come under hate speech. I doubt the US would ever change its freedom of speech law but I agree some things are just pure hate, you can't debate it and it only spreads like a cancer if just left alone.

The Kree

Banned
I try not to think all of them are neo-nazis, I try and remember that some of them are just gullible idiots who voted for him because they loved his "reality tv show"

Nobody's just a gullible idiot, not to that degree. I'm willing to think more of them than that. Anybody in that town who's not objecting is complicit.

WN are very smart when it comes to their propaganda. These guys know that the best way to spread WN is with a healthy does of plausible deniability. They know that if they avoid all the tell tale signs of Nazi's/White nationalists. Their brand has a better chance of surviving. They know that liberals and "skeptics" will defend them under "free speech" if that's the case. But if they appear too overtly white supremacists, then they won't and people will "rightfully" associate them with facism.

Par Score

No. The point of public rallies is having a bunch of pissed people confront your group and of course some are expecting to fight people who disagree. That is their goal and that's what they want and expect. It makes them feel like they matter and what theyre doing is working. The same as when when a terrorist attack shocks the nation and there is extensive media coverage, the group responsible is pleased. They gain power by drawing attention and controversy.

No. The point of public rallies is to show that you're the majority. You have the public on your side. You have the numbers. You have the power.

When Nazis are in that position, when they have the power, what comes next is the murder of millions of innocent people.

These people do not want confrontation or attention, they want you to quietly accept them, and let them set about some nice calm genocide without too much fuss.

SaviourMK2

• Don’t bring your usual phone because it might be stolen by antifa, or law enforcement might find incriminating data on it.

• Bring burner phones for “you and your boys.”

• Use perfect forward secrecy cryptography for person-to-person communications that can be set to erase, handy if you get subpoenaed.

• [D]on’t make racially charged statements on your event accounts. Save the small talk and hate speech for the bar.

• Disable fingerprint unlock because your finger could be held against your phone against your will or fake fingerprints could be made from booking ink.

• Avoid looking paramilitary and go for a clean-cut, polo-shirt Chad look.

• Don’t pack heat because serious charges could ensue.

• Don’t walk alone, especially as the event ends.

• Don’t talk to police.

• Have an exit strategy if everything goes to hell.

It's almost like they know they're not welcomed into society.

I'm astounded that this hasn't come up yet but school isn't back at the campus. That's why there wasn't a massive counter protest.

They don't even have the balls to march on liberal college kids when they're in attendance. They're just taking advantage of no one being there to resist.

Man, as an Austrian it makes me sick that all of this shit, all of their behavior and believes are based on my countries actions not that long ago. I know that if it wasn't Hitler it'd be something else but still....I can't help but feel partly responsible.

Fuck.
You have it the wrong way. It was Hitler who was inspired by America's White supremacist traditions, the Nazi version of White supremacy wasnt a thing in America until recently.

entremet

Why does the ACLU have to make a show of sanctioning this Nazi rally? I get why they cant come out and condemn it, but they didnt have to jump out the window to endorse it either. Let these Nazi shitheels hold their own nuts.

They're endorsing and defending their right to freedom of expression as guaranteed by The Constitution, not their message. They have staked out neutrality on those positions.

White people simply don't care to stop this.
I see on a twitter dozens of blue check marks from the biggest liberal names putting out statements that "this isnt us" or tweeting that photo of everyone holding hands together with the Obamas in Selma.

I mean, thats all well and good, but if "this isnt America", why is there a White nationalist in the Oval Office and why does White supremacy manifest itself in nearly every major public institution?

Xando

As a german seeing the similiarities between what our people did in the 20s and 30s and what's happening in the US these days makes me feel really uncomfortable.

Fuchsdh

I laugh every time I see the tiki torches.

Even when invoking white supremacist imagery from years past, they totally fail at it.

I see on a twitter dozens of blue check marks from the biggest liberal names putting out statements that "this isnt us" or tweeting that photo of everyone holding hands together with the Obamas in Selma.

I mean, thats all well and good, but if "this isnt America", why is there a White nationalist in the Oval Office and why does White supremacy manifest itself in nearly every major public institution?

Why are those people responsible for the bad choices and hate of other Americans?

They're endorsing and defending their right to freedom of expression as guaranteed by The Constitution, not their message. They have staked out neutrality on those positions.

And part of their "expression" is a call for ethnic cleansing, the US needs hate speech laws on the books, this absolute support for the concept of freedom of expression is foolish.

It's scary that it is gaining popularity within the demographic, very scary, sickening to think about.

TyrantII

As a german seeing the similiarities between what our people did in the 20s and 30s and what's happening in the US these days makes me feel really uncomfortable.

It should. People over here don't want to admit it, but history is slowly repeating itself.

Politics is failing after years of nationalist and racist propaganda.

The event was initially cancelled due to safety concerns which is a completely valid reason for it to be cancelled. I have no idea why the ACLU are trying to frame it as a FOS issue.

Grug

Might be just about time to wrap up this crazy little social experiment called America. The milk's gone bad.

mjp2417

Banned

We didn't learn your lessons and it's coming back to haunt us. Y'all weren't exceptional, just all too normal.

And part of their "expression" is a call for ethnic cleansing, the US needs hate speech laws on the books, this absolute support for the concept of freedom of expression is foolish.

It should happen but it won't because freeze peach. Also the fact that we have white supremacists in office and a racist as fuck AG, it's not happening anytime soon.

entremet

You’re debating different things now. The ACLU is going to defend the laws and rights in US law currently revelant.

They’re no hate speech restrictions here so you wanting them to pick and choose goes against their mission.

Personally, I want nothing to do with hate speech laws here. Mostly because I don’t want the government, one so in love with locking people up, criminalize more aspects of society. This what people who bring up Europe and Canada seem to miss.

Amalthea

Banned
"We act like Nazis, we share the same ideals as Nazis, we think like Nazis but we're totally not Nazis, stop policing free speech!"

The Civil War didnt "snuff out" this ideology. White supremacy was the law of the land in those old Confederate states from the 1870s to the 1970s.
Furthermore, what you're seeing from the march is just the extremist branch of this ideology. There's tens of millions of Americans who support more subtle forms of White supremacy, thats why they voted to put a White nationalist in the oval office.

TyrantII

We didn't learn your lessons and it's coming back to haunt us

We didn't learn OUR lessons.

Never cutting the head off the snake of the Confederacy, allowing Jim Crow in the south, and everything since. The US never treated it's wounds, just pulled it's shirt over a festering, rancid would

Jag

As someone who is directly targeted by these people, I still disagree. You really want this US government to decide what is legal to say? That's even scarier.

Fuck these nazis and the fact they are finally confident enough to crawl out of their holes. This shit upsets me deeply, but I'm not convinced this is anything new.

Neo-nazis and KKK have never gone away, they just went deeper underground. The internet has given them a new voice, but I believe they are still a very small minority.

mjp2417

Banned
We didn't learn OUR lessons.

Never cutting the head off the snake of the Confederacy, allowing Jim Crow in the south, and everything since. The US never treated it's wounds, just pulled it's shirt over a festering, rancid would

Sure, but Germans post WW2 were more active in snuffing out nazism than we ever were in snuffing out our own sins. We filmed Gone With The Wind, elected Donald Trump, and paid lip service to all the rest. We literally memorialized it.

entremet

As someone who is directly targeted by these people, I still disagree. You really want this US government to decide what is legal to say? That's even scarier.

Fuck these nazis and the fact they are finally confident enough to crawl out of their holes. This shit upsets me deeply, but I'm not convinced this is anything new.

Neo-nazis and KKK have never gone away, they just went deeper underground. The internet has given them a new voice, but I believe they are still a very small minority.
Yeah. Kinda crazy we’re trusting the fucking US government with equally applying hate speech codes if made law.

Groups like BLM will be targeted and the WN will just go underground.

Xando

It should. People over here don't want to admit it, but history is slowly repeating itself.

Politics is failing after years of nationalist and racist propaganda.

We didn't learn your lessons and it's coming back to haunt us

It's crazy because before Hitler was elected we also had these marches from Nazis and a lot of people seem to underestimate the power nazism has when you have a decent figure to follow. Now at the moment i don't think Trump is that person but i could easily see someone worse get elected who isn't as stupid as Trump.

Hitler only got 33%(12 million votes) of the vote in the last free election in germany and then started to dismantle the state.

I guess what i'm trying to say is people shouldn't underestimate or laugh them away because they seem to be a minority at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom