• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Charlyne Yi accuses David Cross of being racist toward her

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do people find it so hard to apologise without being assholes about it?

If he genuinely didn't remember the interaction, there's a way to deal with that tactfully, and #Rashomon isn't it. And if a joke goes too far you can issue a mea culpa in a way that hopefully mitigates the pain you've caused while also reinforcing what your sincerely held beliefs are.

Mistakes and slip ups don't define your character, but reacting to criticism by being a defensive prick sure doesn't reflect well.

The Rashomon tag was a stupid move. Not just because it's a reference to Asian media when he's accused of making generic racist comments about different Asian cultures. The movie is about unreliable narrators, yeah, but they weren't accidentally misremembering some far off event so much as they were all lying or omitting details to make themselves look better.

Those recent tweets... jeez. "I said some offensive things a while back, I didn't think it was a big deal at the time but I've come to realize how hurtful it was. I'm sorry, and I'll strive to be a better person." Much less typing that the word vomit he put out, and it at least would sound like he learned something.

Jintor

What are you even talking about? I'm just talking about the use of #rashomon. I'm not two sidesing shit. Nor defending the rest of Cross' claim.

Fact: rashomon is frequently used to shorthand unreliable narrator device.

shit is contextual. it's a bad fucking look.

'i remember things differently, i'll express that in a hashtag' is fine if it's like, oh, i ate chips yesterday, no i think you had nuggets, #rashomon. When it's 'you were a racist fuckwit' just tossing that in there at the end is pretty damn pithy. Not even getting into the racial element which cross should have realised

norinrad

Bring them all out in the open. These assholes have gotten away with their bullshit and shouldn't not be allowed to do so anymore.

And really really hoped that you also get caught with your pants down doing racist remarks. Fucking creep.

What does his drug use have to do with anything? Especially give his recent comments, it seems like a weird attempt to excuse his behavior.

Have you ever met anyone on strong drugs like heroin?

People get fucking weird man.

Here's a story about Cross forgetting an in joke between him and Patton Oswalt and taking it as an insult.

https://www.stereogum.com/7615/patton_oswalts_open_letter_to_david_cross_it_was_j/news/

Maybe he wasn't racist in that deep, immutable part of his soul when he did this. Maybe that's how they both got it wrong and she's not a liar.

Ha. Pretty sure this is it.

Also, a lot of people in this thread need to see Rashomon.

People are severely underestimating the stature of the film. In an actual situation where multiple people remembered and interpreted an event in different ways due to their perspectives, it wouldn't be a reference, it would be the reference. Even if it wasn't explicitly brought up everyone (who had seen the movie) would think of it.

Now, he didn't have to make it explicit, so it might very well be related to her being Asian. But rather than being an insult, I think it would come across more like "I watch Kurosawa! I can't be racist against Asians!" (which of course is absurd). Like someone working their appreciation of a Black artist into the conversation when caught doing something racist toward a Black person. "I can't be racist, I love Spike Lee films!"

https://twitter.com/davidcrosss/status/920794731491102720

His later tweets really seal the deal for me. Straight up admits it and says that he was just doing a bit. 🤔

lol what a twat.

"I don't remember doing that so her memory is probably faulty. People remember things differently so nobody should believe what Charlyne is saying...no wait I've got it. My mate never said anything about it so how could I be expected to know that going 'Ching Chong' would offend anybody? Yeah, that's gotta be it. In conclusion, I'm not going to apologise and fuck all of you snowflakes. I hope this happens to all of you and none of you will react in nearly as classy a manner as this because you're all far more racist than I am so go fuck yourselves"

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Wasn't Cross high off his gourd for like that entire period? Dude probably barely even knew where he was.

MoeDabs

Is stinkles gaf’s milkshake duck. Yes. About time everyone else saw it. Already sent a message the the appropriate higher ups.

Wasn't Cross high off his gourd for like that entire period? Dude probably barely even knew where he was.

So say "I genuinely don't remember, probably because I was probably off my tits but that's no excuse. I'm truly, deeply sorry for saying that and I'm trying to be a better person"

Instead, Cross went down the 'deny, gaslight, then top it off with a nice bit of indignation' route.

Cross doesn't give a fuck that he hurt someone so much that they still remember it a decade later, he's just annoyed that people think he might be racist. He was the one being racist and he's turned it around and made it all about him being bullied by mean people on the internet.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Everyone should bear in mind that Cross is a pretty astute writer, so what he posted probably went through a couple of iterations. And then he was happy with what he posted.

This is literally open and shut, dude's casually racist at the very least.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Is stinkles gaf’s milkshake duck. Yes. About time everyone else saw it. Already sent a message the the appropriate higher ups.
Nah, he's explaining the usage of rashomon. besada just made a post about people playing gotcha. Or maybe I'm too tired to catch the sarcasm.

I don't think David Cross is dumb enough to intentionally cap an apologetic post with a damning racist zinger. He's backpeddling like a unicyclist right now.

I mean the "I remember it differently" just sounds like "I was joking you took it the wrong way".
I mean, seriously ? Ching chong karate ? Fuck this dude.

Maybe in America. I would say racism against Asians is something white people in Australia are very familiar with!

I'd say it's pretty much casual in Europe. And unfortunately it's also pretty much accepted.

Apologies are a sign of weakness and Cross seems to be the "full of himself" type that doesn't want to show that he's weak. It seems to be very common in western countries.

Sorry, that was rhetorical - it just baffles me how completely unwilling people can be to show some humility. A willingness to accept fault and improve oneself is a positive trait, being pigheaded and stubborn is not.

dohdough

A lot of white people forget that racism against Asians also exist. They're a "model minority" after all. Happens all the time, even to David Cross I guess.

Oh they don't forget; they just don't give a shit.

Look at how many posts are about how #Rashomon was just some innocuous reference as if Cross didn't purposely put it there as a final insult. It doesn't matter if he's racist in his immutable soul or if he did it to be edgy.

keuja

Just reading this makes my blood boil. The racism is so casual and cowardly. He wouldn't have dared open his shit eating mouth if it was a guy in front of him instead of a little Asian woman.

Bleepey

I just assume Cross was massively fucked up on drugs, said something racist and stupid, and promptly forgot it. Cross is a reasonably heavy drug user, including drugs like heroin, so it's anyone's guess as to how fucked up he was on the particular occasion. I doubt Charlene Yi is going to lie about something like that, anyway.

How do you know this?

gfxtwin

Accused of racist behavior towards an asian so he releases a statement that's kind of an apology along with suggesting maybe the event is a false memory, punctuating it all with "#Rashamon". Hmmm....

Using the hashtag was not a bright idea, but this comparison is stupid.

Nah it wasn't just the hashtag. That whole thing is a textbook non-apology and the hashtag of an Asian movie is just the cherry on top.

I agree with DeathyBoy:

Everyone should bear in mind that Cross is a pretty astute writer, so what he posted probably went through a couple of iterations. And then he was happy with what he posted.

This is literally open and shut, dude's casually racist at the very least.

I could forgive him for making bad jokes about stereotypes in the moment that he regrets later, because that's a pretty common and forgiveable transgression in my opinion. But taking Cross's letter at face value he doesn't want to be forgiven for that because he thinks Charlyne Yi is just an unreliable narrator from an old Asian film. didn't even spell her name right.

#Arrested Development

M.J. Doja

Banned
Well, I like David Cross, so I feel this could have been a private matter instead of a public shaming. We need more awareness towards casual racism... but he's a professional comedian, not the best person to use to teach that lesson. Since he deflected it with his apology (not a racist bully, don't remember saying that), I don't feel like anything positive came from this. She just comes off as sensitive, which sucks because I hate casual racism and it should be called out.

I can't speak on the hashtag thing. Japanese film reference, used accurately, does not seem like racism. Not quite sure of his intent though. Whole situation is disappointing.

Glass Rebel

Well, I like David Cross, so I feel this could have been a private matter instead of a public shaming. We need more awareness towards casual racism... but he's a professional comedian, not the best person to use to teach that lesson. Since he deflected it with his apology (not a racist bully, don't remember saying that), I don't feel like anything positive came from this. She just comes off as sensitive, which sucks because I hate casual racism and it should be called out.

I can't speak on the hashtag thing. Japanese film reference, used accurately, does not seem like racism. Not quite sure of his intent though. Whole situation is disappointing.

Nothing casual about the racism she outlined.

dohdough

This is satire, right?

Lowmelody

Well, I like David Cross, so I feel this could have been a private matter instead of a public shaming.

This mentality enables the "casual racism" (It wasn't casual) to hurt as many people as possible by sweeping it under the rug and keeps people from confronting it. You should be more critical of celebrities you like, not less.

I hope 2017/2018 will be known as the great unmasking when it comes to exposing every last bit of racist/sexist/abusive fuckery every minority has had to suffer for decades in silence.

let.it.all.out

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Nah, he's explaining the usage of rashomon. besada just made a post about people playing gotcha. Or maybe I'm too tired to catch the sarcasm.

I don't think David Cross is dumb enough to intentionally cap an apologetic post with a damning racist zinger. He's backpeddling like a unicyclist right now.

David Cross is ABSOLUTELY dumb enough to do a racist impersonation as a bit, and he needs to eat some shit for this in all likelihood, as you pointed out I was only "defending" the idea that "Rashomon" is used as a descriptor for unreliable (not untruthful) narrators. The whole point of Rashomon is that none of the perspectives is actually false.

I sort of doubt David Cross is racist (although the milkshake duck thread makes fools of us every day), but I could absolutely see him doing something racist either thoughtlessly, stupidly or even in some attempt at edgelordery.

Is stinkles gaf's milkshake duck. Yes. About time everyone else saw it. Already sent a message the the appropriate higher ups.

Oh come on.

So because you like Cross, he should not have had his actions mentioned publicly and you view Yi as being too sensitive or something?

You reasoned through all that and thought, yup, makes sense?

pigeon

Banned

I actually really appreciate the honesty in this post. There are lots of people here essentially arguing “I like David Cross so I don’t think this should count, even though I’m uncomfortable with it and don’t like racism.” Most of them lie about their real motivations. This guy just comes out and says it.

frequency

It should definitely be public and I hope more people make things like this public. If his response was an actual apology I'd give him another chance. But his response cemented that he's someone who I will avoid going forward.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
BTW, Cross should realize that if he's going to invoke Rashomon, then that makes her story true - that she witnessed/experienced his racism just as she described. If you're going to invoke that analogy then you also have to accept that she was right, that she WAS offended by racism, and that should have made his apology unreserved:

"I screwed up and said something horribly racist and while that may not have been my intention, that's what I did and I have to do better."

He apologized to her privately. That’s the only apology that matters IMO and it’s merit can only be judged by the offended party. Cross doesn’t owe anyone else a damn thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom