• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chipotle: ‘most’ of its restaurants were infected with credit card stealing malware

giga

https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/26/15701776/chipotle-restaurants-hacked-credit-card-malware

Chipotle Mexican Grill today announced that it has identified the malware that was responsible for the credit card hack earlier this year. Alongside the news, it also released a new tool to help customers check whether the restaurant they visited was involved. When pressed by The Verge, Chipotle did not disclose the exact numbers of restaurants affected, but said ”most" locations nationwide may have been involved.

”The malware searched for track data (which sometimes has cardholder name in addition to card number, expiration date, and internal verification code) read from the magnetic stripe of a payment card as it was being routed through the POS device," Chipotle said in a statement. ”There is no indication that other customer information was affected."

We browsed through the tool and found that every state Chipotle operates in had restaurants that were breached, including most major cities. The restaurants were vulnerable in various time frames between March 24th and April 18th, 2017. Chipotle also operates another chain called Pizzeria Locale, which was affected by the hack as well. (The list of identified restaurants can be found here, which includes locations in Kansas, Missouri, Colorado, and Ohio.)

Chipotle noted that not all locations have been identified, but it's a starting guide to check whether your visit lines up with the breached period. If so, the company suggests you file a police report, contact the Federal Trade Commission, or place a fraud alert or security freeze on your bank account. The latter may require out-of-pocket charges, which the customer is liable for. Chipotle isn't legally required to offer credit protection for affected customers, making it just another one of the many things Chipotle can screw you over for.

https://www.chipotle.com/security

Somnia

Even if so customers could still swipe if they wanted to.

A lot of places force the chip if the chip is on your card.

Stores are held responsible for 100% of the loses someone takes if their data is stolen by means not regarding the chip. Unless this hasn't passed yet, can't remember.

kris.

Banned
oh good, every Chipotle I've been to in the past month and a half was hit.

fuckin a, this restaurant. i swear.

Jesus chipotle so i gotta deal with salmonella, diarrhea and now credit card fraud.

There should be a huge warning label like on the front door lol

Even if so customers could still swipe if they wanted to.

Most everywhere that has switched to chip disables swipe for chipped cards.

Obviously that still hurts people with old swipe only cards but at least that isnt AS bad especially with the recent huge push for chip by the CC companies.

giga

A lot of places force the chip if the chip is on your card.

Stores are held responsible for 100% of the loses someone takes if their data is stolen by means not regarding the chip. Unless this hasn't passed yet, can't remember.

Right, but I'm sure plenty of customers haven't upgraded to chip cards. And that's on the card issuer for not forcing that.

I haven't been to one of these since right before that E.Coli outbreak from I think last year...guess I'm done with them period.

Linkura

Yay, I'm affected. Haven't seen anything weird on my credit card yet, and I just got a new card a few months ago (before this timeframe) due to someone from Russia attempting a charge. I'll just keep watching my card as usual.

Also, fuck them for not getting into the 21st century and not using chip. Biting them in the ass.

riotous

Banned
Most everywhere that has switched to chip disables swipe for chipped cards.

Obviously that still hurts people with old swipe only cards but at least that isnt AS bad especially with the recent huge push for chip by the CC companies.

Doesn't mean people don't try to swipe their cards.

Glad there are plenty of real authentic Mexican spots I can hit up(Where Quac isn't fucking extra) , and not step foot in those stores again.

I see people complain about the chip. Yeah it takes 10 seconds longer, but I'd gladly wait if it means my transaction is more secure. It should be standard.

Most CC companies will just block the unauthorized charges and send you a new card #.

It's a pain to change all your CC info on all your auto-pay accounts, but at least it's better than having to pay for some some illegal foreign transaction you have nothing to do with.

sfedai0

Banned
Havent been there in a year and I dont think it has anything to do with their food quality issue. I just dont feel the urge anymore.

Nelo Ice

Banned
I see people complain about the chip. Yeah it takes 10 seconds longer, but I'd gladly wait if it means my transaction is more secure. It should be standard.
I hate when they have chip on the machine but its disabled. I wish every store had it working along with offering mobile pay.

riotous

Banned
Most CC companies will just block the unauthorized charges and send you a new card #.

It's a pain to change all your CC info on all your auto-pay accounts, but at least it's better than having to pay for some some illegal foreign transaction you have nothing to do with.

Things like this are one of the reasons everyone should use an actual credit card. They come with buyer protections, better fraud alerts, often qualify you for free or cheap credit reporting services, and of course offer some sort of rewards/cash back.

Use 2-3 credit cards that all auto-pay out of your back account. Watch your credit score go up, rack up rewards, and stop worrying too much about fraud.

Linkura

Things like this are one of the reasons everyone should use an actual credit card. They come with buyer protections, better fraud alerts, often qualify you for free or cheap credit reporting services, and of course offer some sort of rewards/cash back.

Yup, I have absolutely no idea why people still use debit except at places like Costco that only take certain brands of cards.

NandoGip

Gonna have to check my bank statements.

Looks like at the bottom of the page it shows a list of what stores were hit.

Every single one I could have possibly gone to was hit.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Blew my mind that I had to sign for my credit card when I went to the states last month. We haven't had that in Canada for well over half a decade.

Even weirder was that it was half high tech, because I "signed" on a tablet. That's like some alternate universe tech to me, because tablets and signing for credit cards didn't overlap in the same time period here. It'd be like using Morse code to communicate on an iPhone.

Top Bottom