• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chipotle: ‘most’ of its restaurants were infected with credit card stealing malware

Lolwut? It's literally like 5x easier to stick your card in and wait till it says "Approved". Almost as easy as double tapping the home button on my iPhone and hovering it over the POS system, but considering not everyone has adopted ApplePay (and other fucking places like Walmart and Target are adopting their own NFC payment system that blows nuts) I guess it'll have to do.

Depending on the system used, chip readers can be dog slow compared to swiping.

Publix, when they first rolled them out, literally would take almost a minute. They've updated their systems in the last few months, but it's still noticeably slower than swiping.

CronoShot

Crap. One I go to often is on the list.

Checked my credit cards, but I don't see anything suspicious. Will just have to keep an eye on them.

Tigress

I'm surprised people would still eat there after they had two different contamination problems within one year. If they can't shape up after the first one why would I trust you ever to shape up? And then the ceo was caught being a bastard to some employee at some other restaraunt. And now this. Totally would not be sad to see them go under. Company seems to not give a shit about being careful about people's health or their info. And the ceo is apparently a dick on top of it all.

Keri

Well, this sucks. I definitely visited an infected Chipotle, during the relevant time period. Nothing suspicious has shown up on my credit card yet, but I'll keep checking. I literally make a spreadsheet ever month, tracking all my spending, so I doubt anything will sneak past me. Still sucks though.

WaterAstro

Magnetic Strip swipe?

Hell, why don't those Americans just go all the way and use this:

zUlAXUG.jpg

This... actually explains why my credit card that I never use online was recently flagged in Indonesia.

Just had it replaced this week, with a new chipped version.

Dishwalla

Banned
So a restaurant just shuts down when they lose their internet connection?

They say "cash only". I've been to Taco Bells that will have handwritten signs on the drive thru menu that say "cash only" because they are having problems with their CC machines. It happens.

Condom

Chips are terrible compared to swiping from a usability standpoint.
No? Swiping never worked. That strip gets damaged very easily.

Chips are more reliable and faster or hell just use NFC. Most places, even small corner shops have nfc enabled terminals here. Love it.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Dammit.

The employees swipe the card from what I recall. No chip reader.
Checked my transactions and I'm ok it seems, but not my roommate.

Kusagari

Chips are more reliable and faster or hell just use NFC. Most places, even small corner shops have nfc enabled terminals here. Love it.

Chips universally take longer in my experience.

Lev

Ah shit, I really hope I didn't go to Chiptole during that time period. Between Chiptole and Target get hacked, I'm get far more motivated to start paying for things in cash again.

Chips are at least 5 seconds to read. Ten times longer than a swipe.

Pizza

My friend keeps asking to go here but it gives me such bad diarrhea that I've refused

Now I'm twice as glad to not have gone

I don't get the complaints about the chip. In my experience it takes just a few seconds to process. Those extra few seconds are worth have to deal with a cancelled card and a new one being mailed.

Now if only gas stations get off their asses...

kirblar

I'm surprised people would still eat there after they had two different contamination problems within one year. If they can't shape up after the first one why would I trust you ever to shape up? And then the ceo was caught being a bastard to some employee at some other restaraunt. And now this. Totally would not be sad to see them go under. Company seems to not give a shit about being careful about people's health or their info. And the ceo is apparently a dick on top of it all.
The contamination issues were localized.

This is actually a widespread issue.

I live in a third world country and all my cards were upgraded to chip years ago. NFC readers are starting to appear over here too. I wonder why America is behind on this.

Cuz in America we like our short-term gains and replacing every card reader in the country with a chip reader for fraud protection isn't sexy or convincing to the people with money. America only takes infrastructural initiatives like this when they are backed against the wall with no other options. In this case, strings of massive corporate credit card hacks made credit card companies realize that maybe possibly chips might be a good idea. And even still, large numbers of establishments haven't replaced their readers yet.

akira28

So glad I gave up Chipotle forever after they kept finding black plague in the burritos.

its one thing to infect me, but to infect my bank account? For fuck's sake Chipotle.

I've never had a damaged strip. Chips are generally slower, but not by that much. NFC is not widely in use, at least in America.

These threads are always funny to me. Like Americans should just get off their fat, fast food-infused asses and replace the payment infrastructure at every shop across the country. Doesn't quite work that way.

It's about one step short of people spamming "SWIPING IN 2017
1x
" like we're in Twitch chat.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
So glad I gave up Chipotle forever after they kept finding black plague in the burritos.

its one thing to infect me, but to infect my bank account? For fuck's sake Chipotle.

55 people got sick from E. coli during that outbreak. Want to take a guess at how many customers are served at Chipotle every day?

Your risk of getting sick was essentially 0%.

Paz

I've never had a damaged strip. Chips are generally slower, but not by that much. NFC is not widely in use, at least in America.

These threads are always funny to me. Like Americans should just get off their fat, fast food-infused asses and replace the payment infrastructure at every shop across the country. Doesn't quite work that way.

It's about one step short of people spamming "SWIPING IN 2017
1x
" like we're in Twitch chat.

It's pretty simple, over here in Australia the banks set a series of dates for things like all new cards being chipped and all non chipped cards not working etc.

Businesses had the choice off either upgrading or going cash only., of course everyone upgraded Now NFC is a thing but that's less of a security issue so it's happening slower but I'd say over 3 years we've gone from ~30% coverage in the city to around ~90%.

akira28

55 people got sick from E. coli during that outbreak. Want to take a guess at how many customers are served at Chipotle every day?

Your risk of getting sick was essentially 0%.

high velocity bullshit.

particularly when a couple of those who got ambiguously sick without details were in my region.

NewFresh

I actually just noticed a fraudulent charge on the card I use for restaurants. This is the first time in 10 years I've ever had a weird charge. And sure enough I went to a Chipotle listed on their site in the time frame listed as well.

Thanks Chipotle. (Granted it could have been from something else)

I think I'm done buying food there. I'll probably take it of people bring it into the office for lunch, but between this, food born illness outbreaks, and just general quality going down. I'm out.

I don't get the complaints about the chip. In my experience it takes just a few seconds to process. Those extra few seconds are worth have to deal with a cancelled card and a new one being mailed.

Now if only gas stations get off their asses...

Except, the chip doesn't do anything when ordering online so you're still easily vulnerable. So you're still highly likely to having to deal with your card being canceled and replaced anyway. Mine has twice since getting chipped.

Top Bottom