• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chipotle: ‘most’ of its restaurants were infected with credit card stealing malware

Somnid

Welp, I fall in the date and locations. Unfortunately I have to travel in 3 days so hopefully my Chase doesn't kill my card.

jacobeid

Banned
Blew my mind that I had to sign for my credit card when I went to the states last month. We haven't had that in Canada for well over half a decade.

Even weirder was that it was half high tech, because I "signed" on a tablet. That's like some alternate universe tech to me, because tablets and signing for credit cards didn't overlap in the same time period here. It'd be like using Morse code to communicate on an iPhone.

When I bought my new car last year, all of the signatures were done on this "high tech" table that doubled as a giant screen for us to read the documents and such.

As someone who works in the legal field where hard signatures are still valued, it was very, very weird.

Edit: Mother fucker. I went to Chipotle on April 15 for the first time in over a year because of work. I got a new card last month already fuck.

JJD

I don't know about Chipotle but this is a HUGE issue on Miami, specially for brazilian tourists.

I went to Miami with my wife to shop for baby stuff last year and six months later someone used my CC data to buy stuff online on US sites. My credit card was charged 52K dollars before someone from the bank noticed that there was something wrong.

I'm pretty sure my card was cloned at a Walgreens close to the place I rented.

They usually use stolen credit card data on the weekends because banks are closed and it takes more time to detect the fraud.

PixelatedBookake

Chipotle sucks. Every time I eat there it tears my ass a new one. I like their food but I'd rather just go to Moe's instead. This is even more of a reason not to go.

zelas

oh good, every Chipotle I've been to in the past month and a half was hit.

fuckin a, this restaurant. i swear.

I found 3 locations across the state, gave up after that. There probably isnt a clean store in MD.

I gave them a break after not visiting for months, I might be done for good.

Gutek

Do I understand that right? They might have my credit card information, but not my address and other shit?

So basically: Get a new credit card, but no need to be worried about identity theft?

Linkura

Oh whoops I was thinking just the readers themselves. If they don't have them then yeah thats a different problem

Yeah I mean it's a national chain, come the fuck on. The only other place I regularly go to that doesn't use the chip is the local grocery store, but it's a small, family-owned chain so I can almost understand. Chipotle has zero excuse.

Kthulhu

I see people complain about the chip. Yeah it takes 10 seconds longer, but I'd gladly wait if it means my transaction is more secure. It should be standard.

I believe banks are trying to make it standard.

Blew my mind that I had to sign for my credit card when I went to the states last month. We haven't had that in Canada for well over half a decade.

Even weirder was that it was half high tech, because I "signed" on a tablet. That's like some alternate universe tech to me, because tablets and signing for credit cards didn't overlap in the same time period here. It'd be like using Morse code to communicate on an iPhone.

It's a pain in the ass, that's for sure. I wish more places would take a pin number.

Why is this place so popular when local shops make a better product and aren't actively trying to kill you or bankrupt you?

Linkura

Why is this place so popular when local shops make a better product and aren't actively trying to kill you or bankrupt you?

Plenty people live in rural/suburb areas where this is literally the only thing close to Mexican.

That being said, I think I'm done with Chipotle now. They're obviously poorly mismanaged in more ways than one.

Magnetic Stripe? They haven't upgraded to the chip reader yet?
I have yet to ever use chip and PIN technology in the U.S.

Some places have you insert the chip. No one has ever requested a PIN. I don't even know mine, and my bank doesn't send one out with a new card.

It's mind-boggling.

h0tp0ck3t

I have yet to ever use chip and PIN technology in the U.S.

Some places have you insert the chip. No one has ever requested a PIN. I don't even know mine, and my bank doesn't send one out with a new card.

It's mind-boggling.

Not all chip card require pin. I think it's up to the card issuer

Not everybody lives in a city where they can get quality local Mexican food. There's no way you didn't know this.

Plus compared to Willy's, Barberito's or even Moe's the toppings selection is ass.

Based Atlanta burritos.

I've never even heard of two of these three places.

Gutek

If a person used their card there during this timeframe, should they cancel their card? What should they do?

Either watch your credit card statements / notifications for strange activity or just get a new card from your issuer.

I get notifications for any card activity on my phone for example. Once something pops up that I did not authorize, I'll just freeze this card and get a new one.

Rootbeer

Banned
This is why I hate spending money anywhere that doesn't accept either Apple Pay or a chip card.

I don't think I was impacted... haven't eaten there in a while but not sure if my last time was before March... hate this shit >.>

Amon37

Ate there 4 times during the period my location was hit, but my bank also sent me a new card number around the time so I'm not sure, oh well.

Linkura

If a person used their card there during this timeframe, should they cancel their card? What should they do?

Debit Card: Cancel it now and stop using a debit card for daily transactions.
Credit Card: Monitor your activity. Call your bank if something unauthorized pops up. You are not liable.

Linkura

Unless you live in a serious one horse town there are always mexican places cheaper and better

None of them near me are basically grab and go like Chipotle. That's pretty much the only reason why I'd go to them- a relatively healthy grab and go meal that heats up well for leftovers. No Moe's here and the Qdoba closed down pretty quickly after it opened.

New002

Unforseen benefit of MyFitnessPal is I can confirm I did not eat there during that time period. I did soon after though. Wtf chipotle -_-

New002

What should I use my debit for then?

Emergency situation where a credit card isn't accepted and you don't have time to get cash, honestly. I used to use my debit card from time to time but switched over to CC 99% just to be extra safe.

ReAxion

look at this baffling-ass shit.

MZLqhxb.png

Victoria's Mexican Food has been there like 15 years and a Chipotle opened next door. It used to be a Chinese place. I don't know how that Chipotle exists.

Linkura

look at this baffling-ass shit.

Victoria's Mexican Food has been there like 15 years and a Chipotle opened next door. It used to be a Chinese place. I don't know how that Chipotle exists.

Local Qdoba opened up right next to a very popular sit-down Tex-Mex place that's been there for decades. I'm not sure it lasted a year before it closed down. Qdoba, that is.

Top Bottom